Coughlin's Safe Sport Status Changed to Interim Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

insideedgeua

Yes, little bits of ‘information’ are floating about, but they are more rumours rather than facts.

Understandably there must be an investigation and measures put in place while this goes on, just in case, but that has to be balanced with the understanding that this could also be decimating the character of an innocent person.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
:confused: All they said was after they posted the screen cap, Christine Brennan wrote an article.

Exactly. Which could be interpreted as, Brennan saw our story and then wrote a story of her own, ie she wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

VGThuy

I bit the bullet and clicked on that link. I think TSL was actually giving Brennan credit. Of course they gave themselves credit first, but in this case, I think they have a right to do so. They were the first skating media outlet to talk about this (that I know of). We know they are tight with Brennan and most likely they worked together or at least discussed it with one another before TSL shared the screen shot and Brennan wrote an article about it. If not, then that's just the order of which things appeared. I don't think they said Brennan "stole" their story as it seems they just talked about it and Brennan actually has a forum in which she can publish a story on a mainstream national newspaper.

gkelly

I have no idea of the situation either.

But theoretically "more complaints" could mean more corroboration about the same incident, rather than complaints about additional incidents, or additional victims if any victimization was involved.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Good God! Now I'm hoping the allegations were true, because if he committed suicide because of false allegations or the institutions' need to protect themselves regardless of truth or falsehood, it is just too dreadful. God rest his soul!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Good God! Now I'm hoping the allegations were true, because if he committed suicide because of false allegations or the institutions' need to protect themselves regardless of truth or falsehood, it is just too dreadful. God rest his soul!

Conversely, if they are not, who becomes responsible?

insideedgeua

I was so worried about this being a possibility. Not because I believed the allegations to be true, but because I couldn’t imagine how hard it would be to have allegations like this made against you if they weren’t true.

I contacted John, as a friend, to let him know that he had my support and that I hoped he was okay.

An investigation was underway, Safesport was taking care of that. I hope those who wanted to nail him to the cross before the investigation was over are taking a good hard look at their own motivations tonight. Crying in the bathroom won’t fix this!

skatfan

I was so worried about this being a possibility. Not because I believed the allegations to be true, but because I couldn’t imagine how hard it would be to have allegations like this made against you if they weren’t true.

I contacted John, as a friend, to let him know that he had my support and that I hoped he was okay.

An investigation was underway, Safesport was taking care of that. I hope those who wanted to nail him to the cross before the investigation was over are taking a good hard look at their own motivations tonight. Crying in the bathroom won’t fix this!

What horrible news. I can’t imagine the pain of his family, friends and colleagues.

But blaming TSL is really off here. They’ve been very careful to only post what is out publicly.

This thread has similarly not spread rumors. No one wanted anything other than the truth to come out.

caseyedwards

Secret accusers ,secret process ,automatic guilty verdicts, lives destroyed! Evil killer system. Murder system. This is a murder system!! He lost his whole job and life before he died! Because he was tried and convicted in secret. Murder system.

caseyedwards

What horrible news. I can’t imagine the pain of his family, friends and colleagues.

But blaming TSL is really off here. They’ve been very careful to only post what is out publicly.

This thread has similarly not spread rumors. No one wanted anything other than the truth to come out.
This isn’t true. They want to be skating Ronan farrow. They didn’t care if they killed somebody. They want to be famous.

caitie

I am upset about this as well, but there has not been a mob mentality around the investigation IMO. I watched the first TSL episode where they discussed it, and they were reserved. They mostly just pointed out that it was happening. It didn’t seem like people talked about it much on social media/the forums or jumped to conclusions. We were all just waiting to hear more. This isn’t what anyone hoped to hear. I felt sick when I heard.

And I strongly reject the idea that Brennan or TSL or the fact that it was public knowledge that he was under investigation is to blame for this, because we aren’t going to fix the incredibly real and horrifying problem our society has with sexual abuse by protecting people who are accused of it. And anyone accused of abuse who works with minors should be restricted from working with them until a reasonable and thorough investigation takes place. The priority should always be the victims and preventing further abuse, even when the allegations are in the process of being reported and investigated. I don’t know what could have been done differently here to merit pointing fingers, at least not with the info we have now. This is just awful, all around.

caseyedwards

You can read the threads!! People said he was Larry Nassar! Based on what was he Larry nassar?!? That was disgraceful. Secret “victims”, secret allegation, secret process, automatic guilty, fired from Wilson blades! Based on what? What jury convicted him of being Larry nassar! This is murder. Now safesport must be considered some kind of kill list! You get someone on that list and people rush to call that person Larry nassar! why? Hope people are happy with their scalp!

Last edited:

insideedgeua

Firstly, TSL did not stick to facts on the public record, they implied a lot more. It was these implications that people read between the lines of, and as is human nature, sometimes the people reading made 2+2=6

As I stated, Safe Sport was already doing their job and taking care of an investigation. Nobody else was in any danger.

As for blaming TSL, I don’t! That’s you doing exactly what I said, reading between the lines and making 2+2=6.

Yes, I referenced something that some people would associate with TSL and I did do that on purpose. This was to illustrate just how some people can read things and jump to a conclusion. It’s easy to do, but it doesn’t feel good when it’s done to you.

I don’t blame TSL for John’s death. I do however, hope that they stop and take a good hard look at their motivations throughout all of this. I hope they were pure, I truly, truly hope they were, but at the same time, I hope this gives them real pause to think and reflect on the power that their words can hold.

Many times words are said about skaters, their costumes, their weight, their music, pretty much anything they do, that can be hurtful. There are a number of threads on here about skaters and their mental health. People may say that the skaters shouldn’t read it, but sometimes they do, and of course sometimes people tell them things that are written about them.

This is beyond sad. I doubt that anyone, including TSL, expected it to play out this way.

I just want everyone to stop, think and be a little kinder.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
It is so tragic. John was such a nice guy. We joked in Boston we were stalking each other because we kept running into one another at events I'd been at. More stalker jokes in San Jose last year. He was helpful, upbeat, and kind; which is why I was boggled by seeing this thread in the first place thinking, "No way!" And now his family is hurting beyond hurt. I'll keep them in my prayers.

No matter what the allegations were the witch hunt culture and jumping to worst conclusions is absurd and hurts so many people.

skatfan

As for blaming TSL, I don’t! That’s you doing exactly what I said, reading between the lines and making 2+2=6.

Yes, I referenced something that some people would associate with TSL and I did do that on purpose. This was to illustrate just how some people can read things and jump to a conclusion. It’s easy to do, but it doesn’t feel good when it’s done to you.

Wow - you deliberately link TSL with your “crying in a bathroom” comment to show that people will make connections that you made. And then try to say that we’re the problem because we made the connection you wrote. Not buying that.

I just want everyone to stop, think and be a little kinder.

Me too. I think folks have been trying to do that here.

I am also thinking about the folks that made allegations and may never get any resolution now.

insideedgeua

Wow - you deliberately link TSL with your “crying in a bathroom” comment to show that people will make connections that you made.

And then try to say that we’re the problem because we made the connection you wrote. Not buying that.

That was a collective you, not you personally. I have no idea who you are or your motives. You don’t have to buy it though. I’m okay with you disagreeing with what I wrote.

Sure, I could have left it out of my original post. Maybe it was unnecessary, I’m prepared to take that.

I’m not trying to start or continue a fight with anyone here. My heart hurts too much right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information