Coughlin's Safe Sport Status Changed to Interim Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarrySK8

Sensational media reports sometimes take away due process and influence decisions. Did that happen in this case?

Yes, it is called slander. Is SafeSport a media organization, or is it official in any way? What are SafeSport's connections to law enforcement and civil actions? What responsibilities does it have to the public and citizens not convicted or legally charged with anything?

I sense lawsuits and legal precedents, as this is new, could be a result of tragedies such as this one.

kittysk8ts

i hope we can all stay level headed in this thread so that it isn’t closed. This topic in general is so very important.

I’ve worked in the Canadian court system for 25 years, in various capacities. I’ve through experience learned to balance the rights and dignity of both accused and accusers. At first it was hard. I would read a charging document and think “Ew”. And then a year or so later, having sat through the trial and listened to all of the evidence, sometimes my opinion changed dramatically.

I share this with you only to illustrate that it is human nature to experience the emotions we all are now. But things are not always as they seem on the surface and harshly pointing fingers at this stage can just muddle the situation and confuse fact with fiction.

It’s clear that we all agree this is tragic for everyone.

UGG

I know the facts of how this reported and believe there should be an inquiry into whether the way it was reported on by Dave Lease and The Skating Lesson contributed to this man's death.

This whole situation is very sad however Dave Lease and TSL did not contribute to John's death. John took his own life. That was his choice.
Yes, it is called slander. Is SafeSport a media organization, or is it official in any way? What are SafeSport's connections to law enforcement and civil actions? What responsibilities does it have to the public and citizens not convicted or legally charged with anything?

I sense lawsuits and legal precedents, as this is new, could be a result of tragedies such as this one.

Stating/reporting that there is an investigation going on for sexual misconduct is not slander, unless it is actually not happening. If the allegations are false, the person who reported the sexual misconduct could be accused of slander. To qualify for slander, the statement has to be untrue. Reporting and commenting on an investigation that is going on is not slander.

CaliSteve

https://safesport.org/who-we-are

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
My issue with TSL here was the eagerness to jump in like we have a scoop then go on social media insinuating they knew what was going on as if the accused had no rights whatsoever. It was evident to me on their FB page and Twitter. It was about proving how in the know they were rather about anything else and providing a platform for people to go on about John being a “monster” and a “rapist,” two terms I saw used when nobody even knows what was going on. TSL doesn’t care about the alleged victims, just to push the self importance. It started the vicious social media bandwagon, claiming they’re advocates for the abused.

Judging by Dalilah’s post I can see that having had a major impact on why John tragically took his own life.

Carolla5501

TSL wants to be considered a serious news portal. Then, they need to understand that they can't do as they please.

Amd the listeners need to understand their role. If you follow media and listen to media that is slandering and trash talking you are part of the problem. If people likd Dave didn’t get attention they would go away and do something else. But instead they get attention and it just encourages them to be more and more sensational. Time to let trashy skating lesson die a natural death from disinterest

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Amd the listeners need to understand their role. If you follow media and listen to media that is slandering and trash talking you are part of the problem. If people likd Dave didn’t get attention they would go away and do something else. But instead they get attention and it just encourages them to be more and more sensational. Time to let trashy skating lesson die a natural death from disinterest

Agreed. TSL's agenda since beginning has really shifted in tone. I stopped being a casual viewer when they trash-talked the 2017 World Junior Pairs' Champions.

D

Deleted member 40371

This is sad news any way you look. I don't know whether the accusations are correct or not, but one thing is clear that no one should post on the FB page of family and friends who are grieving and tell them they are the reason people like Larry Nasser thrived, that kind of behaviour is predatory.

Orm Irian

As a mandatory reporter, I know that here in Australia it is not possible to sue for libel (written defamation) or slander (spoken defamation) in response to an allegation of any form of child abuse or neglect that is made in good faith, or of factual coverage in the news media of such allegations having been made. I believe, from what some teacher friends tell me, that the same is true in the USA. This legal protection of persons reporting possible child abuse is necessary in order to ensure that those who are able to report - whether that be the child themselves, or a family member, neighbour, teacher, social worker, sports coach, religious official or friend - are able to do so without fear of being intimidated, harassed or threatened into silence, or forced into retracting their allegations, to the possible detriment of a vulnerable minor. The legal protection of factual coverage in the news media is the same as for any other allegation of crime or misconduct, and is in support of community safety and the public interest.

As TSL and Ms Brennan appear to have confined themselves to reporting the available facts and did not indulge in speculation or gossip, make additional allegations or pronounce as to Mr Coughlin's guilt or innocence, they would be considered to have reported appropriately and would not be open to a charge of libel. They would not be held responsible for what conclusions some people may have jumped to based on the facts they reported, any more than the New York Times might be.

skatingguy

decently
As a mandatory reporter, I know that here in Australia it is not possible to sue for libel (written defamation) or slander (spoken defamation) in response to an allegation of any form of child abuse or neglect that is made in good faith, or of factual coverage in the news media of such allegations having been made. I believe, from what some teacher friends tell me, that the same is true in the USA. This legal protection of persons reporting possible child abuse is necessary in order to ensure that those who are able to report - whether that be the child themselves, or a family member, neighbour, teacher, social worker, sports coach, religious official or friend - are able to do so without fear of being intimidated, harassed or threatened into silence, or forced into retracting their allegations, to the possible detriment of a vulnerable minor. The legal protection of factual coverage in the news media is the same as for any other allegation of crime or misconduct, and is in support of community safety and the public interest.

As TSL and Ms Brennan confined themselves to reporting the available facts and did not indulge in speculation or gossip, make additional allegations or pronounce as to Mr Coughlin's guilt or innocence, they would be considered to have reported appropriately and would not be open to a charge of libel.
Thank-you. You found the words that I've been struggling to find this morning.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Purposely putting this in the SafeSport thread, rather than the one titled “John Coughlin has died” -

Question about the various Safesport levels of accusation, in general:

If someone is listed on Safesport as “interim Restricted” (as happened with Coughlin on December 17), what would cause the designation to go up to the more serious “interim Suspended” (as happened to Coughlin on Thursday, one day before he took his life)? Would more serious allegations have to come to light...and/or more people (accusers or witnesses) come forward with more of the same (original) allegation?

Also, my understanding is that losing one’s temper and hitting boards, or similar accusation, can also get a coach onto SafeSport. It’s not necessarily sexual in nature...right?

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
TSL haven't confined themselves to the facts of what has been confirmed by Safe Sport and neither did Brennan. Safe Sport haven't provided any details on the nature of the allegations.

Also, the whole situation doesn't seem all that 'Safe' for the accuser/s either. They've witnessed the fact they made allegations get publicly escalated to the point where they were painted all over social media with accompanying rumours about their nature and then this horrible outcome. I certainly spare a thought for them.
Christine Brennan

@cbrennansports

·
Jan 17

Who is John Coughlin? 2-time US pairs champion, now 33 & was building a big life for himself as a coach, TV analyst, businessman & a force within ISU & US Figure Skating -- now suspended by SafeSport & USFS over what are believed to be several allegations of sexual misconduct.

Yeah that last part didn't seem like facts to me. I hope the allegations are not true but at this point if he was innocent I don't know it is even matters anymore.

mollymgr

These days in the world of social media and news spreading faster than ever before, it is of utmost importance that organizations involved in the process communicate and manage this promptly. If these are just allegations without any proof or proof that is under review, it is harmful to make this public knowledge on official websites. Without knowing specific details, it is very unfair of these organizations to not make this a priority over everything else. There are people's careers, and more importantly lives, at stake on both sides. To just have a SafeSport program means nothing if the response to serious allegations is going to be sluggish. There have to be checks in place to prevent abuse and the abuse of the program itself.

Last edited:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Here: TSL positively insists they know the subject of the allegations: https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1086480718409142273

Based on this which is not an official source: https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1086117174987710470

Then criticised Jackie Wong for not joining in: https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1086302023463698432

Then back on the front foot today: https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1086643110367674368

TSL are not nuanced investigative journalists pursuing truth.

Neither are you, posters should be allowed to mourn the loss of John Coughlin. They should be allowed to want to know more and see if the said allegations have truth to them, but those that wish to place the blame on a single source and call it a day should just take a break.

Debbie S

If someone is listed on Safesport as “interim Restricted” (as happened with Coughlin on December 17), what would cause the designation to go up to the more serious “interim Suspended” (as happened to Coughlin on Thursday, one day before he took his life)? Would more serious allegations have to come to light...and/or more people (accusers or witnesses) come forward with more of the same (original) allegation?
I believe either one.

Also, my understanding is that losing one’s temper and hitting boards, or similar accusation, can also get a coach onto SafeSport. It’s not necessarily sexual in nature...right?
That is correct. SafeSport covers any abuse or misconduct...sexual, physical, verbal.

Frau Muller

...If these are just allegations without any proof or proof that is under review, it is harmful to make this public knowledge on official websites.

But isn’t the main reason for SafeSport’s existence to name coaches who may potentially cause harm to kids? Perhaps the names shouldn’t be published until investigations are 100% completed...but, in the meantime, more kids go to the coach?

Z

ZilphaK

As TSL and Ms Brennan appear to have confined themselves to reporting the available facts and did not indulge in speculation or gossip, make additional allegations or pronounce as to Mr Coughlin's guilt or innocence, they would be considered to have reported appropriately and would not be open to a charge of libel. They would not be held responsible for what conclusions some people may have jumped to based on the facts they reported, any more than the New York Times might be.

I do think that, especially with most news outlets now primarily if not solely based in digital platforms, much more needs to be done in monitoring online comments on those platforms, as well as on social media arms of news outlets.

To stick to the facts in the story, but allow speculation, gossip and unfounded allegations stand in comments, is to admit those comments to the public record. News sites and other reputable reporters "of record" which allow open public comments attached to news stories and social media should bear some higher responsibility in which comments "of record" they allow.

There are too many news outlets playing a kind of pussyfoot with reporting responsibly, but then allowing libelous commentary to stand published in conjunction with reporting, reaping the clickbait $$$ while maintaining a sort of shrug-shouldered "We didn't say it, they did"; allowing the barrage of anonymous speculation and gossip to stand as part of public record gives it a weight by association with the supposed higher-level ethics of professional journalism. This needs to change. And it would behoove more social media sites and users to do some of their own policing.

insideedgeua

As a mandatory reporter, I know that here in Australia it is not possible to sue for libel (written defamation) or slander (spoken defamation) in response to an allegation of any form of child abuse or neglect that is made in good faith, or of factual coverage in the news media of such allegations having been made.

If facts had been involved you would not be talking about child abuse. That was not the nature of the allegation, although it was an assumption many people have made.

Frau Muller

I believe either one.

That is correct. SafeSport covers any abuse or misconduct...sexual, physical, verbal.

Thank you. This is helpful. So something happened between Dec 17 and last Thursday (Jan 17) to kick-up the designation from Restricted to Suspended. Also, this wasn’t necessarily sexual in nature...so Brennan probably shouldn’t have used the word “sexual”...

skatingguy

decently
Christine Brennan
@cbrennansports

·
Jan 17

Who is John Coughlin? 2-time US pairs champion, now 33 & was building a big life for himself as a coach, TV analyst, businessman & a force within ISU & US Figure Skating -- now suspended by SafeSport & USFS over what are believed to be several allegations of sexual misconduct.

Yeah that last part didn't seem like facts to me. I hope the allegations are not true but at this point if he was innocent I don't know it is even matters anymore.
Typically Safe Sport handles allegations of a sexual nature, and leaves other allegations to the applicable sporting body. The fact that Safe Sport is handling these allegations suggests that they are sexual in nature.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
It sure was a witch hunt on social media with people going on about how he assaulted and maybe raped minors, as if that was fact! TSL pushed that narrative of sexual assault on twitter and Facebook. We don’t know but now it doesn’t matter as the internet mob has spoken.

And if they, being USFS and SafeSport, made this public and talked about it openly or at least made a comment about what was going on.... Could have helped quell some of the insanity.

It sure doesn’t help victims of assault, the way this has all been handled.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Typically Safe Sport handles allegations of a sexual nature, and leaves other allegations to the applicable sporting body. The fact that Safe Sport is handling these allegations suggests that they are sexual in nature.
But saying the allegations are sexual in nature and that there were multiple allegations are assumptions, not facts. Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information