Competing for the first time...

S

SmallFairy

...in two weeks. Does anyone have tips and advices? It's just a local competition, I will be the only adult doing bronze, there will be two others doing silver. We all train together and know each other well, so it will be fun and that is also my goal. Have fun, enjoy the program and hopefully do my elements;) I will not rush it, take it one element at a time and I've learned at the run throughs that 1min50sec goes by really fast. But what about everything outside he ice? How early do you show up for warm up? What do you bring? I'd be so happy for any advice you can think of!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Good luck! My advice - drugs! Just kidding. Have a great time.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
How early you show up depends on how nervous/excited you get and whether your think you'll freak more by leaving as late as possible or by getting there early and sitting around.

As for things to bring in addition to the normal skating supplies like extra laces and pads... safety pins, snap clips (NOT bobby pins) for your hair, duct tape (seriously!), bandaids, a small sewing kit with needles pre-loaded with thread that matches your costume, small scissors for said repairs, and some clear tape to tame any embellishments on your costume. Chewing gum has been proven to help relax people, so bring some if you like it, but remember to get rid of it!

Have fun out there!

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Honestly? I would always sneak in a little wine in a thermos for me and a friend who competed (all small local/regional comps). We'd each have about a half glass or less a half hour before our competition or exhibition. Took down the shaky nerve quotient without hurting performance.

And yes, I'm serious, we'd both get really nervous.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Aceon6 list is really good. Also bring something small and portable to eat, like energy bars. You might get really hungry while you're waiting or after your program is complete, and it's a PITA to stand in line at the concession or to scramble for change or a card to buy something.

Don't leave anything unsupervised in the dressing room, or at least anything valuable. If you have friends or family coming to watch, try to leave everything that isn't skating-related with them in the stands. If you're focusing on your performance, it's really easy to misplace stuff.

Do you have someone to stand at the boards for you, like your coach? That can be very reassuring before you go on, to have someone to talk to and to reinforce the good things that you are going to go out there and do. If your coach isn't going to be there, maybe you and the other adult skaters can do this for each other.

livetoskate

Good advice already given, and I like your attitude about going in to have fun and skate with your friends. I would try to get to rink at least 1.5 hours before you take the ice and bring your own food or snacks. Bring an extra copy of your music and extra tights. Have everything packed in your skate bag ready to go the night before. Don't eat a big meal before the competition. At one adult competition, I made the mistake of meeting an old friend for lunch at a restaurant before she took me to the rink. Not only was I too stuffed, but we were running a little late to the rink, which added to the stress. Have a great time and have someone take pictures or video of you!

Skittl1321

Start practicing what you plan to do on your warm up.

Also practice a session where you run your program as basically the first thing you do. Many adults are used to skating for half an hour or more before running their program and you don't have that luxury at competition. Get to a practice, do a warm up, and then do your program.

Just have fun.

I always brought a extra dress and tights. A back up hair tie. Skate guards, as I don't use them at my rink.
I never had a coach stand with me, I'd just watch the other competitors. It was just for fun.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
My coach can't always come, but I've never competed away from home so I usually spend the waiting time pulling faces with some of the other skaters.

I try to arrive an hour to an hour and a half early. If I arrive too early I'm liable to exhaust myself warming up off-ice. Skates start going on in the warmup for the group prior to mine. I never eat beforehand, but usually have a big lunch. I try not to drink too much water after I've dressed as obviously I don't want to be having to get half undressed again to go to the bathroom.

On the warmup I usually stop doing anything at the 1 minute mark, mostly because I start hyperventilating with nerves and I'm trying to breathe myself back into control, especially if I'm going first. I'm a really shit competitor. :lol:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Good point about the warm-up - my former coach used to make me get on the ice at a lesson (without skating earlier) and go right into my warm-up and then a runthrough. Gets you used to what will happen when you're not doing your runthroughs after having already been practicing (and warm) for half an hour or more.

gkelly

I've only had a coach with me when I competed at a regular club competition with mostly kids competing and a few adult events.

When I go to an adults-only competition, my coach does not attend.

All else being equal I'd prefer to have the coach there and pay the equivalent of one lesson fee, but not enough to pay extra for her to give up other students that day or pay for her expenses.

S

SmallFairy

Thank you so much all of you!!! I will write a list of what to bring and make sure I'm in control the night before. Duct tape, really? That's awsome, would never thought if it. My coach won't be there, but our sub-coach will, so we have moral support. And we will support each other like crazy. Thankfully the the competition is in our home city, so no travel expenses for the coach. Still waiting for the time schedule though;)

And thanks also for the tip about early run through at practice. Today I tried to start jumping right after my ordinary warm-up, which I never do. Will try to get a full run through early tomorrow.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Duct tape, really?
Yes. You'd be amazed. Personally, I've never used it for anything more serious than taping laces. OTOH, I've answered the "does anyone have any duct tape" more than once. The most exciting was when a guy from our rink sliced the leg of his pants. We used black duct tape inside to keep the fabric together as there was no time for sewing a 12" rip.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Make sure you practice what you'll actually do on your warm up at the competition, so you know how to handle the warm up in terms of the elements you'll do and the amount of time you'll have.

Then next time you practice, when you first go on the ice, don't do your normal warm up. Instead, do the competition warm up, then your program.

If you aren't sure what to do in a competition warm up or how long it tends to be, have your coach tell you. They'll tell you what to do in the warm up, how many repetitions (if any), in what order, etc.

When you practice your program, practice it from beginning to end. So, you stand off ice at the door. They call your name. You step onto the ice. You skate prettily to where you start the program. You wait for your music to start. You do your program. You bow to the judges. Then you leave the ice skating prettily.

It's always a good idea to skate in your costume before you do the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information