Coaching change: who should stay, who should go? E.g., Alina Zagitova & Eteri Tutberidze.

Bellanca

http://tass.com/sport/1006766

No earth-shattering news here, this was presumed since Eteri helped Alina to Olympic gold, but I say never say never about a coaching switch. There have been many skaters in the past that have left a coaching situation even if the relationship was still on solid ground. I guess time will tell regarding Alina And Eteri...

However, my question is, will Alina really see through her entire competitive career w/ Eteri & company? Will she be forced out, eventually? Should Alina reconsider and run for the hills ... like right about now? :2faced: Thoughts? Comments?
For the record, I do not think Eteri is the :EVILLE: that people have made her out to be. There has been a lot of misinformation and total rubbish written about her and her team, etc. Having said that, Eteri will not be canonized :saint: any time soon, but neither will any other coach, necessarily.

Also, can you think of other skaters who should part ways with their coach/team and try a different coaching environment? Just (off-season) curious.

Last edited:

Bellanca

And, as much as I feel lousy saying this, I would like to see Karen Chen make a move - and not just to Colorado. :slinkaway No offense to Tammy Gambill.

I feel like Karen has accomplished all that she can w/ Tammy, but I know others will disagree. I just think a fresh start and new approach or coach for Karen would be helpful despite having made the Olympic team. I certainly do not want to see Karen struggle so much this season.
And please, no more about the boots… :violin:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I would like to see Alina retire. She is on a long road to nowhere right now. She has those little ones nipping at her toe picks. Any loss will pick away at her OGM which was a narrow margin win against an injured rival.

bardtoob

If Jason is serious about being competitive he needs to make a move. If he just wants to skate for the joy of it, then stay with Kori but I don’t think that’s what he wants.

Jason can try, but, as gorgeous and already joyous his skating is, that ship has sailed.

The future is all the young male skaters trying to compete with Vincent and Nathan, not older skaters trying to get a 3A and 4T.

I feel for Jason the same way I felt for Patrick Chan before the Team OGM.

ETA:

Patrick Chan telling PJ Kwong he had a new 4S in 2011.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1uXWhzKBT8

Last edited:

MAXSwagg

Jason is not getting a quad. Myself and several others have been saying this for 4 years. Fortunately for him, he is one anomaly where judges give him the PCS (and rightfully so). Except for Nationals whey the incompetent judges absolutely cheated him and awarded Nathan abhorrent and absolutely underserved components.

RoseRed

For Alina, I guess it depends how long she ends up choosing to keep skating. If it is only a year or two in the end, then I'd think she stays with Eteri. If she wants to stay longer, she might switch.

With Igor and Pasquale working together, I wouldn't mind seeing W/P go there (assuming they continue).

barbarafan

For Alina, I guess it depends how long she ends up choosing to keep skating. If it is only a year or two in the end, then I'd think she stays with Eteri. If she wants to stay longer, she might switch.

With Igor and Pasquale working together, I wouldn't mind seeing W/P go there (assuming they continue).
What is happening with Morozov? I would assume they would stay with him for coaching but use someone else for choreo.

Bellanca

What about Pogo? If her health and emotions can withstand the rigors and stress of another quad, maybe she should consider looking beyond her current coaching situation? Although, as dysfunctional as her relationship seems to be w/ Anna Tsareva, it may be (in some weird way) the secret formula for them. However, their kiss and cry episodes have just been :eek: one too many, and the poor girl has cried too much there, imho. Of course, now - here it goes, :cold: Anna may have a hard time staying relevant (competitive) with the tidal wave of talent we’ve been told is coming. So maybe a coaching switch would be moot at this point.

Bellanca

I know there are already rumors, but I would like to see Jason Brown get away from Kori Ade. Should have happened a few years ago, IMO.
Looks like you got your wish! ;)

I would like to see Alina retire. She is on a long road to nowhere right now. She has those little ones nipping at her toe picks. Any loss will pick away at her OGM which was a narrow margin win against an injured rival.
Imo, there’s too much pressure, or maybe the right words are unrealistic expectations placed on an Olympic champion if they do decide to continue competing after winning an Olympic gold medal…

Now an Olympic gold medalist is expected to win every time, at every competition, or at the very least finish on the podium, and that is just not going to happen, not every time. It is very unrealistic, and I personally do not think or feel that an Olympic gold medalist should have their Olympic moment watered down or minimized because of it. Nor do I think they should feel pressured to retire after winning an Olympic title because anything they do (or don't do) after will reflect poorly on an achievement accomplished in what is now the past.

Every competition is a moment in time and reflects on what a skater can accomplish at that moment. For me, this is what makes a successful athlete and a sport genuinely competitive.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Good Lord...Orser is GONNA BE SOOOO BUSY...

Jason Brown, Medev, Boyang, Yuzuru, Elizaveta. Is Javi still in?

Cant believe all the talent flocking to him.. Can he and Tracy handle it all? Guess so....

Did Marin go to him too? Im forgetting who from Japan also went....

screech

They also have Lee Barkell (who is helping with Jason and is the main coach of Gabrielle), and Karen Preston is also helping with Jason. Ghslain Briand assists with a lot of skaters too.

Most coaches can handle a lot of skaters on a session. He'll be busy, but I think he can handle it.

Bellanca

Did Marin go to him too? Im forgetting who from Japan also went....
Nope, Marin is not going to be training with Brian Orser.

Wiki: On March 30th, she announced she was changing coaches to Rafael Arutyunyan and was moving to the US to live and train full-time.

Speaking of Raf, he's falling behind Orser pretty quickly here... Knowing him he would probably say something like it’s the not the quantity it is the quality. :p But of course, Orser does have the quality - that's for sure.

Oh man.....I do not see Jason with Orser at all.
Yeah, I tend to agree at least for now. I can't quite put my finger on it as to why, but it does seem an odd fit for some reason. Now watch, Jason will be the best he's ever been! :rollin:

ichiro

Seguin/Bilodeau - I know she's been injured a lot lately, but I think it's time they venture away from Picard. Time for a fresh set of eyes and new training environment.

skateboy

Oh man.....I do not see Jason with Orser at all.
Curious as to why you would say that?

If Jason is serious about being competitive, I think this sounds like just the inspiration he may need. Brian appears to be a no-nonsense, businesslike coach and the environment may be even more important. Jason has been the star student in his club for years, but his progress has stagnated. Being around Yuzu, Boyang, Evgenia (and upstarts like Stephen Gogolev) may be exactly what the doctor ordered. Hope so.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I can see Jason with Orser much more than I can see Karen Chen with Alex Ouriashev. :eek: (I'm fine with Ouriashev as a technical consultant. But as the main coach? No, I just don't see it.)
Well you are much better informed than i.

My thought with Jason and Orser is that Orser makes Olympic and world champions. Jason has passed the point where he can up the tech content to remain relevant. He has lovely qualities...obviously.
Also it always appeared to me that Jason was attached to his coach....and not in a good way.

IMHO Jason to really make an impact in his skating should have made this change several years ago.

barbarafan

Well you are much better informed than i.

My thought with Jason and Orser is that Orser makes Olympic and world champions. Jason has passed the point where he can up the tech content to remain relevant. He has lovely qualities...obviously.
Also it always appeared to me that Jason was attached to his coach....and not in a good way.

IMHO Jason to really make an impact in his skating should have made this change several years ago.

Orser's talent is in making a skater the best that they can be. In some cases that means being a champion and in others it means feeling that you have gone as far as you can go competitively within the genre and either change the genre or change your future knowing that you did all you could. At this point in his life he has drawn a line as to how much longer he will continue at this pace and so will not take little littles. He has guaranteed he will be there for Stephen to the end of his competitive career so I would doubt you will see anyone younger than him in his tutelage.

Bellanca

Does anyone else feel like Jason might be assigned to Brian Orser’s “B” group of skaters? Kind of like Polina Tsurskaya was with Eteri’s group. I believe it was mentioned over in the Jason to Orser thread that he will be working with a few people, so I wonder how much hands-on and personal time will indeed be spent with Brian? :unsure:

Also, any thoughts about Bradie’s current coaching situation? I guess my only desire re Bradie would be to see her compete using an arrangement other than Cinderella which is not intended to be an insult, but I do think she’s well past (or should be by now) choosing that type of music, imho.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Judging from the way Brian works, I don't think there is a "B" group of skaters. It's a team approach for his elite skaters, it always has been a team approach, and it will continue to be a team approach.

I do think a lot of folks who never ever ever ever thought Jason would be "worthy" of Brian, and who now need to eat their words about whether Brian would ever "accept" Jason at TCC (and I'm looking at you TSL and Phil Hersh) are scrambling to rationalize this move by claiming, contrary to all public statements, that Lee Barkell or someone else will be Jason's primary.

Keep trying guys:lol:

Bellanca

I do think a lot of folks who never ever ever ever thought Jason would be "worthy" of Brian, and who now need to eat their words about whether Brian would ever "accept" Jason at TCC
So now that Brian did "accept" Jason, the real question would have to be is Brian "worthy" of Jason now that Jason has decided to "accept" Brian?! :giggle: :D o_O Oh, the off-season... :gallopin1

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I can see Jason with Orser much more than I can see Karen Chen with Alex Ouriashev. :eek: (I'm fine with Ouriashev as a technical consultant. But as the main coach? No, I just don't see it.)
wow I didn't know Karen goes to Ouriashev? I need to go to US ladies' thread in GSD. But I'd rather say yay than nay for this move even if Ouriashev's gonna be her MAIN coach. Whom she needs is a coach who can teach techniques at this point of the next Olys cycle IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information