Coaching change: who should stay, who should go? E.g., Alina Zagitova & Eteri Tutberidze.

MAXSwagg

As quiet as it’s kept, Camden needs to change away from his hot mess of a group ASAP.

Tavi

I don’t think Jason would have uprooted himself from a comfortable, familiar coaching situation and made such a huge change if he were content with the status quo and didn’t think he could achieve more. Would you do it? It doesn’t make sense.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don’t think Jason would have uprooted himself from a comfortable, familiar coaching situation and made such a huge change if he were content with the status quo and didn’t think he could achieve more. Would you do it? It doesn’t make sense.
Not being content and making it happen are two very different things. It will be fascinating to see how this goes.

Tavi

Not being content and making it happen are two very different things. It will be fascinating to see how this goes.

Yes, it will be fascinating. But as to dreams vs reality - that’s true for everyone, isn’t it? There aren’t many people voicing skepticism that Med and Boyang will fail to achieve their goals. On the other hand, there are a lot of people who are convinced it’s too late for Jason. I prefer to be optimistic on his behalf.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Yes, it will be fascinating. But as to dreams vs reality - that’s true for everyone, isn’t it? There aren’t many people voicing skepticism that Med and Boyang will fail to achieve their goals. On the other hand, there are a lot of people who are convinced it’s too late for Jason. I prefer to be optimistic on his behalf.
Yes it is true of everyone. The issue with Jason is that his technical content now is so far below competitive that he will not (IMO) be able to make a meaningful dent in it.

Tavi

Yes it is true of everyone. The issue with Jason is that his technical content now is so far below competitive that he will not (IMO) be able to make a meaningful dent in it.

You may be right, but without having coached him - without knowing what’s holding him back and what it will take to correct those issues - noone can say for sure.

As someone who’s been a “late bloomer” my whole life, my sense is that averages aren’t as strongly predictive of individual outcomes as people like to think. At some point, age and physical talent will definitely limit Jason’s ability to improve. But IMO, there’s not enough evidence at this point to conclude that he’s hit the wall.

skateboy

there are a lot of people who are convinced it’s too late for Jason. I prefer to be optimistic on his behalf.

Me too. I'll admit, I'm skeptical, as changing bad habits and adding never-before-achieved content is no easy task. But Jason is 23, which is not exactly old... people here are acting as though he's 38. I'm fascinated to see what Jason will take--and deliver--as a result of this new environment. I admire his taking the plunge, no matter what the outcome.

Bellanca

Of course, the fact that Tursy has now officially jumped ship from Orser’s group to Eteri’s group (oh, the irony) does suggest this upcoming season will be more eventful than many past post-Olympic seasons have been. It should be anything but dull…

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information