Chantastic....the return of Patrick

Judy

Weird that they asked him to leave - he wasn’t the one buying lol. Wonder who the girl is hmmmm ...

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Now we know why he was hanging around in Vancouver area ice rinks instead of training prior to Skate Canada :D

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
My daughters friend had a part time job in a liquor store and they can get fined if you don't ask for ID if someone is 25 or younger (something like that) even though the legal age is 19. May vary between provinces. Some staff are also more strict than others in that if you are shopping with your teenager and they help you carry your wine to the counter then can refuse to serve you on grounds it's possible you are buying for a minor. So it's possible he was asked to leave because he was carrying whatever they were buying and that way there wasn't any chance the employee could get in trouble.

screech

It's the same in Ontario. I believe it's supposed to be if a person looks 25 or less, they should be prepared to show ID. I look youthful for my age (mid-30s) and I'm almost always asked for ID.

When I was in my early 20s, there was a time I went to an LCBO and was carded 3 times in one visit (once shortly after entering, once when browsing, and once when paying. So it's not too odd to think he might have been asked. When he smiles he definitely looks youthful, so I'm not surprised he'd be carded.

Japanfan

I too wonder who the girlfriend is.

That would be way funny if the store was actually selling Chan's signature wine.

DDNatalia

Is he back to training? Can he get named to the Olympic team without competing at Canadian nationals? i.e., is their Olympic team selection process more a "body of work" + "Committee" decision?

screech

Patrick could announce his retirement today, then at the end of January say he wants to compete at the O's and be named to the team. Unless he's badly injured, or has absolutely zero desire to be there, Patrick will be on the team. Even if he somehow comes 8th at Canadians.

Which reminds me that a few years ago, his score in the LP was enough that he could have completely skipped the SP, just competed in the LP, and still walk away with a medal compared to everyone else's results in both programs combined.

luckiest1

There was a tweet of him posing on the ice with a skater from the Coquitlam club in Vancouver the other day. So he's taking ice time....

clairecloutier

Marina made some comments about Patrick after Skate America. It sounds like he has more or less completely left training in Detroit. http://fs-gossips.com/marina-zueva-figure-skating-is-50-sport-and-50-art/)

Zoueva: You should ask Patrick himself. He’s in Vancouver now. He must decide everything for himself. I adore him, I’m ready to start working at any time. He is the best “performer” in the world. This was him who began a new era in men’s single skating. Patrick is still young, he should continue to skate, as long as possible! I experience his problems together with him, fatigue, all this is not easy … But his skating is unique, unforgettable, no one can compare with him.

This does not sound good .... at least in terms of his competitive status this season. (Will he compete at Canadians/Olympics?? :eek: And if so, with what coach?)

chantilly

I am really baffled and quite frankly angry with Patrick's behaviour.
This season if anything has proven is that quads alone aren't enough.
If he just focused on doing his two quads well and triple axels,he had a real hope of being on the podium this year.
In fact he may have been in the running for gold or silver.
The quadsters have been somewhat imploding this season, while whole package skaters like Rippon and Brown are doing well.
And neither of them has a reliable quad.

livetoskate

Patrick is such a beautiful skater, and the recent competitions have shown no one is a shoo-in; even the guys with all the quads are faltering. Patrick has the chance to seize the opportunity and still win/medal at this late stage of his career. I hope he's training hard and that I'll be able to see him skate live again.

luckiest1

PJ Kwong talks Canadian skaters in this video from yesterday and she states that she has heard that Patrick will be at Nationals in Vancouver and has every intention of competing at the Olympics.

https://www.facebook.com/SkatingPj/videos/1768928616458901/

Thanks clairecloutier and mags. I'm feeling a bit better since listening to PJ, as it seems she's been talking to either Patrick or someone close to him. I have no idea what's going on and why he's chosen to be in Vancouver, but I'm cautiously optimistic that he's training for Nationals. As PJ says, whew!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
PJ Kwong talks Canadian skaters in this video from yesterday and she states that she has heard that Patrick will be at Nationals in Vancouver and has every intention of competing at the Olympics.

https://www.facebook.com/SkatingPj/videos/1768928616458901/

Thanks clairecloutier and mags. I'm feeling a bit better since listening to PJ, as it seems she's been talking to either Patrick or someone close to him. I have no idea what's going on and why he's chosen to be in Vancouver, but I'm cautiously optimistic that he's training for Nationals. As PJ says, whew!

Apparently he has a gf in Vancouver - according to an article linked earlier in this thread.

luckiest1

Yes, I know he does, but I'm talking about training. Is he working with a coach based in Vancouver? I guess we'll know by who is at the boards at Canadians.

Japanfan

I am really baffled and quite frankly angry with Patrick's behaviour.
This season if anything has proven is that quads alone aren't enough.
If he just focused on doing his two quads well and triple axels,he had a real hope of being on the podium this year.
In fact he may have been in the running for gold or silver.
The quadsters have been somewhat imploding this season, while whole package skaters like Rippon and Brown are doing well.
And neither of them has a reliable quad.

But to be fair, Patrick has to want it. I've posted before in this thread or elsewhere that Patrick isn't a really great competitor - he does not thrive on competition as some skaters do (i.e. Kwan, Stojko). He usually does well at Nationals, and there hasn't been anyone to really contend with him for the title since he beat Buttle years ago.

And he's not had great experiences at the Olympics. In Sochi, he pretty much had the gold handed to him on a silver platter (pun intended) and gave it away. He just caved under the pressure, and the media didn't help by hounding him relentlessly in the run up to the games.

IMO Patrick has been pressured by the Federation/TPTB to stay in and compete at this Olympics, because he can pretty much be counted on to at least place top ten - but top five appears to have become his comfort zone.

Patrick is older now and his best days as a competitor - three world titles and Olympic silver - are behind him. The field has passed him by. He has nothing much to gain from competing at another Olympics than the opportunities accorded by the Federation's approval.

He's said things like "it's only skating, it's not life" in interviews. This reflects a balanced viewpoint to be sure, but I'm reminded of Alexei Yagudin in 2002 saying that winning the Olympics was his "destiny". Those two views really distinguish the contrast between the two skaters' approach to the Olympics.

Last edited:

Meoima

Patrick is older now and his best days as a competitor - three world titles and Olympic silver - are behind him. The field has passed him by. He has nothing much to gain from competing at another Olympics than the opportunities accorded by the Federation's approval.
Patrick can still get that team gold.

chantilly

But to be fair, Patrick has to want it. I've posted before in this thread or elsewhere that Patrick isn't a really great competitor - he does not thrive on competition as some skaters do (i.e. Kwan, Stojko). He usually does well at Nationals, and there hasn't been anyone to really contend with him for the title since he beat Buttle years ago.

And he's not had great experiences at the Olympics. In Sochi, he pretty much had the gold handed to him on a silver platter (pun intended) and gave it away. He just caved under the pressure, and the media didn't help by hounding him relentlessly in the run up to the games.

IMO Patrick has been pressured by the Federation/TPTB to stay in and compete at this Olympics, because he can pretty much be counted on to at least place top ten - but top five appears to have become his comfort zone.

He's said things like "it's only skating, it's not life" in interviews. This reflects a balanced viewpoint to be sure, but I'm reminded of Alexei Yagudin in 2002 saying that winning the Olympics was his "destiny". Those two views really distinguish the contrast between the two skaters approach to the Olympics.
I agree with you 100%.
But then why come back with that interview about valuing artistry and what he can offer instead of chasing quads etc and having the Olympic experience he wants.
I mean you can't really say he's taking a spot from someone else because no one has stepped up to the plate technically or otherwise.
I just feel like he gave up and has thrown it all away.
And that doesn't sit well with me.
It's been a joy to watch Adam in particular make a statement on the ice with gorgeous programs that are making me yearn for days of old instead of this quad madness which seems frantic, dangerous and messy.
I agree with Pelletier when he says he doesn't think skating is quite there yet with multiple quads, and good clean artistic programs.
The injuries and implosions this season is very disheartening in an Olympic year.

jlai

Question everything
Are we back to complaining about Chan in his cheer thread...again????

I'm not even his uber, yet I feel for him that his cheer thread is now a place for CONSTANT complaints about his "weak" competitorness.

fscric

I hope he is really training hard even though he skips Detroit for Vancouver and possibly without coaches with him, and well-prepared when he shows up at National, otherwise I'd be quite disappointed. If his heart is not in it any more, I'd rather he announce his retirement now. I love his skating so much I just don't want to see him giving half-hearted performances.

Japanfan

Patrick can still get that team gold.

Absolutely. And my impression is that team gold is his focus. Canada has the best shot at it IMO, due to having strong contenders in all four disciplines. And I think Patrick likes competing with a team, because it is less pressure on him individually.
I agree with you 100%.
But then why come back with that interview about valuing artistry and what he can offer instead of chasing quads etc and having the Olympic experience he wants.

Because he does value artistry, and always brings it to his programs. He is among the most beautiful skaters ever IMO. And I do so enormously hope for him that he has the Olympic experience he wants. In my view that would be a clean, beautiful program such as only Patrick can do, and I don't care where he places.

I just feel like he gave up and has thrown it all away.

I don't think he's given up on artistry and growing as a performer, although I agree that he has probably given up on competing - but only to a certain extent. I'm sure he wants one more National title and to earn it with a good skate, and he has enough pride not to want to mess up like he did at Skate Canada again.

It's been a joy to watch Adam in particular make a statement on the ice with gorgeous programs that are making me yearn for days of old instead of this quad madness which seems frantic, dangerous and messy.

Adam's less under the radar than Patrick, and in that sense, more free. He's going to have to earn his Olympic spot, whereas Patrick's is pretty much a given - and since this is an uber thread, I'll add that Patrick should be a given because he is so clearly superior within the field.

nimi

If his heart is not in it any more, I'd rather he announce his retirement now.
For what it's worth... PJ Kwong says on her Facebook live that Patrick intends to compete at Nats & Olys:
PJ: I have heard that Patrick will be at Canadians, and he has every intention of competing at the Olympic Games. (wipes forehead) Whew! Which I think is great, because I want Patrick, for him, to be able to finish out the season in the way that he would like to, so I think that that’s just great news. So… fingers crossed that it all turns out the way that it’s supposed to.
(source for transcription)

luckiest1

Are we back to complaining about Chan in his cheer thread...again????
I'm not complaining, but I am expressing concern. I want Patrick to finish out his amateur career on a high note, so I hope that he is training intelligently for what is to come. I've never been one to believe that he always needs to work with a technical coach, because his jumps are there IMO. For him I think the issues are usually mental. The reports from Skate Canada were that he wasn't even attempting the big jumps in practice, not that he was having difficulty with them. I have no expectations for the Olympics, but I want him to enjoy himself and put out programs that he is proud of. I truly wish that for him. I do believe he wants his 10th Canadian title and he wants to help the Canadian team win another team medal at Olympics.

mag

Yes, I know he does, but I'm talking about training. Is he working with a coach based in Vancouver? I guess we'll know by who is at the boards at Canadians.

I haven’t heard anything about a coach. Maybe he is pulling a Michelle Kwan and going coachless?

luckiest1

That's my fear, that we'll see Mike Slipchuk at the boards or something. But if that's what it takes for Patrick to feel comfortable, then at this point I'm OK with it. Whatever works.

Japanfan

I'm not complaining, but I am expressing concern. I want Patrick to finish out his amateur career on a high note, so I hope that he is training intelligently for what is to come. I've never been one to believe that he always needs to work with a technical coach, because his jumps are there IMO. For him I think the issues are usually mental. The reports from Skate Canada were that he wasn't even attempting the big jumps in practice, not that he was having difficulty with them. I have no expectations for the Olympics, but I want him to enjoy himself and put out programs that he is proud of. I truly wish that for him. I do believe he wants his 10th Canadian title and he wants to help the Canadian team win another team medal at Olympics.

I'm concerned too. It looks like Patrick isn't taking his training too seriously and may be somewhat in a state of denial in thinking he can just wing it at Nationals and Olympics - but I do so hope I'm wrong in saying that.

That's my fear, that we'll see Mike Slipchuk at the boards or something. But if that's what it takes for Patrick to feel comfortable, then at this point I'm OK with it.

That just seems all sorts of wrong. And I don't think it would a happy Slipchuk at the boards. If Patrick isn't training properly and going coachless, I expect the slippery one would be entirely freaked out. IMO he's a major player in TPTB who have pressured Patrick to stay in this season.

jlai

Question everything
There is only a fine line between concern and negative comments. A lot of concerns are carefully worded criticisms.
Don't get me wrong; people pick on skaters all the time here, including me; I just think non-stop "concerns" in a cheer thread is just turning a cheer thread to a complaint thread.

I also think that the only reason people pick on Chan all the time, even after all the gold, silver and bronze medals he has won for team Canada, is that there is a lot at stake for certain fans or a certain federation. If he is just Denis Ten or Brezina, who is nowhere the competitor Chan is, there won't be a peep about any of this. So every supposed or imagined flaw of Chan gets magnified 100 fold, including the few times he didn't get gold for team Canada and he now gets labeled a weak competitor. One can be someone who doesn't naturally enjoy competition and still be a good competitor (e.g. Buttle didn't strike me as someone who enjoyed competiton and yet he competed just fine, and many others. If you need to "enjoy" competing to be considered a good competitor, then many world medalists will drop off the strong competitor list, and the only "good competitor" left are Plushenko, Lipinski and a handful others.)

If I were Chan and that's the expectation of fans, I'd just tell them to f*k off and do whatever the hell I want. It's my life, not theirs after all. I don't owe anyone any particular training, or coaching decisions, or anything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information