Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

kalamalka

He’s young for a pairs guy, but he’s almost 17. He could (and likely will) grow but turning out to be a tall pairs guy like the ones mentioned seems unlikely.
Unlikely, but possible. I know nothing about Brandon Toste's growth history or parents' size, but I have a nephew who grew about 8 inches (to 6'4") in less than a year around his 17th birthday. He's a fraternal twin, and his brother, who ended up 3 inches shorter, did most of his growing at 13-14.

RoseRed

Also, Brandon's not short. He's listed in his ISU bio as 180 cm (roughly 5'11") and that's from last year, so he may have grown. Eric Radford is listed as 188 cm, but Bruno is only 184. It's certainly possible that Brandon will end up close to that.

million$momma

Also, Brandon's not short. He's listed in his ISU bio as 180 cm (roughly 5'11") and that's from last year, so he may have grown. Eric Radford is listed as 188 cm, but Bruno is only 184. It's certainly possible that Brandon will end up close to that.
He might be that tall but his shoulders seem quite narrow.

Vase

He might be that tall but his shoulders seem quite narrow.

Definitely doesn’t appear to be another Radford in height, and I think Brooke hasn’t reached her growth yet, compared to other pair girls.
But I wouldn’t rule them out of the competition. Though other teams may just need growth as a team, so it’s really anybody’s game.
I’ll predict Mintos results are very different from nationals, in the junior pair field.

Rock2

I’ll predict Mintos results are very different from nationals, in the junior pair field.

That's pretty much a given. Junior pairs skating tends to be quite the salad of growth/development for both the individuals plus the pair as a whole -- to the point that almost every month brings a new set of opportunities and challenges.

I have all the respect in the world for junior pair skaters. They can start the season looking great, but growth (or lack thereof) will have them/me fearing for their lives 4 months later. It's one of my favorite events to watch live because every competition is a giant leap into the unknown.

uandmfan

I went to Minto and saw the pairs SP. I was there specifically to see B&B and I&B but they had both withdrawn.

Julianne Seguin was there and she told people she was feeling very well (she was in the audience).

All the teams had issues but I guess that's normal at this point (this was my first summer competition).

I saw a few junior pairs and a few teams seemed to have lots of potential.

barbarafan

I went to Minto and saw the pairs SP. I was there specifically to see B&B and I&B but they had both withdrawn.

Julianne Seguin was there and she told people she was feeling very well (she was in the audience).

All the teams had issues but I guess that's normal at this point (this was my first summer competition).

I saw a few junior pairs and a few teams seemed to have lots of potential.
She seemed to be coaching a team there.

Colonel Green

Concerning the earlier discussion about McIntosh/Toste, I have to say, I was impressed at the height they were getting on their triple twist attempts in both programs. The catch is still a work in progress, but with the elevation Brooke was getting, seems like there should be room for a good one with more time.

uandmfan

Concerning the earlier discussion about McIntosh/Toste, I have to say, I was impressed at the height they were getting on their triple twist attempts in both programs. The catch is still a work in progress, but with the elevation Brooke was getting, seems like there should be room for a good one with more time.

I agree. I saw part of their short and was impressed with the 3twist. Looked better than some sr teams.

Vase

I agree. I saw part of their short and was impressed with the 3twist. Looked better than some sr teams.

Yes I agree the twist was looking good. It was tough to watch the long, we know she can land those elements.
Gabrielle and Pier struggle with jumps but have some nice lifts.
But I enjoy seeing junior teams switching programs out each season. I understand why they keep it, but I like to see how they take on the challenge.
Camille and William impressed me in their long.
Patricia and Zach are doing well in the short time, she looks like she has grown and starting to fill out. So we’ll see how the triples progress.

Sylvia

TBD
Hello, Does anyone know if we can stream the NAC (at the Wild Rose Competition) that will be going on starting tomorrow?
Yes, info is posted here: http://skateabnwtnun.ca/
Edited to add the direct link to watch live: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ey6om
Just checked and NAC starting orders are not yet posted online but hopefully will be soon. 7 Novice pairs (4 are USA, I heard) are listed to skate the SP starting today at 3:35 PM Mountain time (5:35 pm Eastern time), followed by the Novice Men SP at 4:30 MT & Novice Women SP at 5:55 MT. (I'm also posting this info in the Kiss & Cry section where there's a separate thread for the 3 North American Cup competitions.)

ETA starting order numbers for the 3 Canadian teams with last year's Challenge/national placements, competing in the NAC Novice Pairs SP later today:

1 Lily Wilberforce / Aidan Wright Canada [PN1]
3 Charlotte Giraldeau / Eliott Goulet Canada [PN2]
7 Ashlyn Schmitz / Tristan Taylor Canada [PN4]

Last edited:

Dobre

barbarafan

I'm really not sure in which thread (discipline or country) to post this link, but among the plethora of results from the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships this week are a number of result pages with Gabriella Marvaldi & Otar Japaridze skating in Open Pattern Dance competitions. Such as this one:
https://www.facebook.com/icedancecom/photos/pcb.10156561694607939/10156561694447939/?type=3&theater

I know people have been asking for a while about Gabriella.
Yes, I saw that....this of course means we have more questions. Either Gabriella or last partner(I believe it was Dave Villeneuve-correct me if I am wrong)were injured and withdrew from everything entered 2 yrs ago. I have not seen her entered in anything for the last year.

barbarafan

Looks like Lubov and Charlie will only be competing their short program at Quebec Summer competition

Sylvia

TBD
do you have any input as to where that partnership stands?
Gabriella Marvaldi has switched disciplines and is competing in solo ice dance now, as pointed out by Dobre above.

I don't know if Daniel Villeneuve is currently skating (last I heard, he had surgery back in January but I know no details).

barbarafan

Gabriella Marvaldi has switched disciplines and is competing in solo ice dance now, as pointed out by Dobre above.

I don't know if Daniel Villeneuve is currently skating (last I heard, he had surgery back in January but I know no details).
thanks Sylvia

isaskategabz

Since Daniel had a health condition and was unable to skate, the partnership ended. A few months later Gabriella decided to give dance a try and switched disciplines. In Lake Placid she competed in the open partnered event with her coach Otar Japaridze, with the hopes of eventually getting an ice dance partner. In the mean time, Daniel has had 3 surgeries and is on the road to recovery for a healthy life.

Colonel Green

Championnats thoughts (all short programs here, for those who missed them):

Lubov & Charlie
  • She landed the 3T! :cheer2:
  • While he puts a hand down. :gallopin1
  • Jokes aside, that was a promising debut. They're not going to be V/T, going on a rampage the first season out, but nobody ever suggested they were. What they did, other than the throw, was of good quality. The program doesn't grab me.

Justine & Mark
  • Twist as good as ever.:swoon:
  • They're upgrading to a throw triple loop, which didn't go so well here, though Justine somehow didn't Pogosplat on it despite being insanely tilted in the air.

Nadine & Francis
  • These two kind of snuck up on everybody, but they're the real deal. I'm eager to see what they look like in a year.
  • We've already gone to a triple twist in a span of weeks since Minto.
  • The program doesn't do anything for them, though.

Camille & Andrew
  • Choreographically, this is the best pairs short program among the Canadian teams this season (that we've seen, anyway).
  • That was probably a better skate than any of the ones they did last season, and that's despite Camille now coming back from injury. Hey, maybe they're starting to really gel?

Lori-Anne & Thierry
- This is also an interesting program, choreographically.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Championnats thoughts (all short programs here, for those who missed them):

Lubov & Charlie
  • She landed the 3T! :cheer2:
  • While he puts a hand down. :gallopin1
  • Jokes aside, that was a promising debut. They're not going to be V/T, going on a rampage the first season out, but nobody ever suggested they were. What they did, other than the throw, was of good quality. The program doesn't grab me.
yes Triple T was really nice on her part. Was he nervous? he also threw her not far and very low...she had trouble getting her feet under her. A shame as they did several good throws in the warmup. It looks like they were going for clean with good levels. Lines and transitions were great. I would say this program will be very changed next time out. I like them though..very well matched.

dramagrrl

Camille & Andrew
  • Choreographically, this is the best pairs short program among the Canadian teams this season (that we've seen, anyway).
  • That was probably a better skate than any of the ones they did last season, and that's despite Camille now coming back from injury. Hey, maybe they're starting to really gel?

Excellent music choice and choreo. Much better than the generic dreck that most of the program debuts have been this summer so far.

puglover

I guess I am the Debbie Downer here but I was somewhat disappointed by Lubov and Charlie. To make a mark a team has to have something extra and I just didn't see that. I know - it is early days - but I can't help being reminded of Sale and Pelletier who really were eye catching right from the get go. I hope to be proved wrong.

Vase

I guess I am the Debbie Downer here but I was somewhat disappointed by Lubov and Charlie. To make a mark a team has to have something extra and I just didn't see that. I know - it is early days - but I can't help being reminded of Sale and Pelletier who really were eye catching right from the get go. I hope to be proved wrong.

I agree completely, I was expecting more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information