Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

screech

I might be mis-remembering, but isn't Lubov usually really bad with the sbs jumps at the start of the season, then finally getting things together a bit better for Canadians?

shan

I might be mis-remembering, but isn't Lubov usually really bad with the sbs jumps at the start of the season, then finally getting things together a bit better for Canadians?

Yeah they seem to do better as the season goes on.

Erin

Banned Member
I need to go back to when they first debuted this long. IIRC correctly I was one of about three who hated it. The bulk of the reception was quite positive. I'm both validated and amused now by the :lynch: that's happening.

Well I hadn't had time to respond around Finlandia but if I had, I would have said that I agreed with you that the program was bad but what I took issue with was "I know who I want to finish 4th in January", which seemed petty and unnecessary. I actually think a lot of people agreed at least to some extent about the program quality, but had problems with the rest of the tone of your post. But crow all you want if that makes you feel better.

And to answer another question, for the past two seasons, Luba and Dylan have had early season struggles, pulled it together for Canadians, had a mediocre to poor 4CC and then had their best performance of the season at Worlds. So maybe they will do it when it matters the most. (Although the Olympic timing is very similar to 4CC timing so...) But it still makes me very nervous as a fan. And Luba is very capable of doing those jumps. I saw her land many in practice and on warm-ups. But she seems to tense up in competition.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I guess as Dylan said, he and Luba are being realistic. There's a lot to take into consideration for staying in after this quad. But OTOH, there's also a lot of pressure they place on themselves to do it now and to be highly competitive every time out. Maybe there was something in the air at Skate Canada, or maybe it was the pressure skaters were placing on themselves added to the often harsh scoring by the tech panel. The pairs and dance teams weren't too bad for the most part, but the ladies and men had quite a few problems, especially the ladies.

It would be nice if Luba and Dylan gave it at least one more year competitively, but I understand their decision. They are hoping to place well at the Olympics, gain some recognition and parlay it into some professional touring opportunities.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I guess as Dylan said, he and Luba are being realistic. There's a lot to take into consideration for staying in after this quad. But OTOH, there's also a lot of pressure they place on themselves to do it now and to be highly competitive every time out. Maybe there was something in the air at Skate Canada, or maybe it was the pressure skaters were placing on themselves added to the often harsh scoring by the tech panel. The pairs and dance teams weren't too bad for the most part, but the ladies and men had quite a few problems, especially the ladies.

It would be nice if Luba and Dylan gave it at least one more year competitively, but I understand their decision. They are hoping to place well at the Olympics, gain some recognition and parlay it into some professional touring opportunities.
In their interview with I forget whom, they both definitively said they would not continue past this year.

CassAgain

I have not steeled my little ubering heart enough to watch Lubov and Dylan’s free program yet, but I saw the practice video and they can perform the program well and appropriately. Not that surprised that the tech problems took away from it; it’s something for them to work on.

Did she wear the 2015 short program dress? Just curious about that.

As an aside, I hope to be out of the ubering business after they retire. Too difficult.

honey

@CassAgain yes she was wearing that 2015 sp dress. That alone was enough to make me like the program less than at Finlandia. Totally wrong packaging for this, but I assume she'll have a new costume later.

The performance at Skate Canada had so many issues it was hard to enjoy the program. I actually liked it at finlandia, but not so much this time. I think they are more than capable of putting the right tone on this though and can create the chemistry to pull off the story. It's a bit of a stretch for them, but they can do it I think.

I agree with those who said it's reading like a SOI program though. If they ditch the program, perhaps we could bring back S/P and have them skate this because I'd be here for it :watch:

oleada

I've watched Kolodziej/Deschamps at US Classic and SC now and I'm impressed by them. They have good potential for a new team. She seems to be a solid jumper and bounced back well after the ugly fall in the LP. I think they have a positive mentality and I think they can do a lot in the next quad. Their showings at both events were really solid and I think they did a good job taking advantage of the opportunity.

canadianskater

I honestly think that they have a good vehicle with their short program. But I'm on the fence with the free and as much as I like the idea and concept of the program, it hasn't fully convinced me at it could be a success. I enjoy this team more than any other Canadian team as I think they have something special so I really hope they figure things out before their next GP event.

Also it makes me sad to hear that she wants to land those jumps so bad and puts so much pressure on herself that she keeps missing them. So I agree with everyone that mentioned transitions before the jumps. Or maybe she needs to be like Kaetlyn and meet with a sports psychologist several times a week to fight those thoughts that goes through her mind.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
They have good potential for a new team. She seems to be a solid jumper and bounced back well after the ugly fall in the LP.
I really liked them, and I'm hoping they get to go to 4C's this year.

That missed throw was so high, and when we heard the crash -- it sounded hockey loud -- we thought concussion :fragile: but it appeared from the replay that it was "only" her body.

fan

Also it makes me sad to hear that she wants to land those jumps so bad and puts so much pressure on herself that she keeps missing them. So I agree with everyone that mentioned transitions before the jumps. Or maybe she needs to be like Kaetlyn and meet with a sports psychologist several times a week to fight those thoughts that goes through her mind.

i think funding is still an issue for this team, so a sports psychologist is probably out.

puglover

I/M are amazing and she is just beautiful. I think I still have PTSD from former years when the side-by-sides were so iffy for Canadian pairs women and I held my breath each time they jumped. I hope S/B make it to the Olympics as they are the future and I/M make it only if she lands her jumps as I fear without them they will just be buried.

ChiquitaBanana

But OTOH, there's also a lot of pressure they place on themselves to do it now and to be highly competitive every time out. Maybe there was something in the air at Skate Canada, or maybe it was the pressure skaters were placing on themselves added to the often harsh scoring by the tech panel. The pairs and dance teams weren't too bad for the most part, but the ladies and men had quite a few problems, especially the ladies.

Luba and Dylan put too much pressure on themselves so they underperform but Kaetly doesn’t seem to want to make a statement (doesn’t put enough pressure on herself) so she performs as much as you’d like? :confused:;) That is said, I buy your post here and agree with you.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Luba and Dylan put too much pressure on themselves so they underperform but Kaetly doesn’t seem to want to make a statement (doesn’t put enough pressure on herself) so she performs as much as you’d like? :confused:;) That is said, I buy your post here and agree with you.

Give off over-analyzing, comparing and exaggerating my posts Chiquita. What difference does it make what I think anyway? And what is this about 'buying' posts? :confused: ;)

Of course, it's always helpful for skaters 'to make a statement,' if and when they can and when they have the opportunity. I never said that Kaetlyn 'didn't seem to want to.' That's your imagination, and also this is the wrong thread for Canadian ladies conversation. :p

Last edited:

Winnipeg

One of my biggest disappointments at SC was L and Dylan...........I expected them to do so much better. The LP is a piece of music that was used in Family Ties years ago when Alex Keaton's girlfriend broke up with him.

It is a really bad musical choice IMO.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I hated I&M's long program at Skate Canada, but their short is a masterpiece.

chewy

I like that I/M put their jump passes up front so they are over with. The Free program is dreck, I hope they rework it.

jlmart

I notice Justine Brasseur and her partner are no longer listed in the Quebec provincial competition this weekend.

barbarafan

I notice Justine Brasseur and her partner are no longer listed in the Quebec provincial competition this weekend.

I saw that as well. Does anybody know why?

Also only Ruest/Wolfe left in for Seniors. The others have byes .

angi

I'm putting my money on I/M going back to an old FS. The current one is not working for them at all, it was bad at both Finlandia and SC and this is the season when they can not afford to make mistakes. Granted they usually start slow and pick up momentum as the season progress but this program seems to be missing a lot (for me at least) and they don't have enough time for it to be a slow process this season and with I/M, S/B and MT/M all fighting for 2 spots they have to have strong programs.

puglover

What about the "From Russia with Love" program. I remember that being memorable and kind of putting them on the map.

screech

What about the "From Russia with Love" program. I remember that being memorable and kind of putting them on the map.
And it was kind of tongue in cheek, with her at first trying to be released from Russia when they started it, to her finally getting her release while still competing it.

And now she's officially Canadian (her wikipedia even refers to her now as a 'Canadian pair skater' - not even Russian-Canadian). She really has come to us from Russia, with love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information