Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

Rock2

In juniors, I only saw shorts but thought Panetta/Lapointe looked promising. First time seeing them.

In seniors, love the improved programs and packaging for MT/M and R/W. I'm not worried about quality of the skate at this point.
Only real disappointment was the Japanese. Choreo = fine; music = awful. When are we repatriating that boy back to Canada anyway?!?!??

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It's a good program, more musical than before and everything is well placed and has a purpose. I also like the pacing of the song and think it works well for them. John Kerr was a great decision!

That twist. :yikes: the lifts were nice, great save on the lutz from Meagan :respec: rushed the landing a bit on the throw, please work a bit on the air position as well (tightness of your feet and arms, it's all about making your body line elongated, it won't be as much work that way to land it - so pull in tight more and point your feet!).

Love that ending! There's some lovely moments, I even noticed some of Aljona and Bruno's "Lighthouse" choreography after the pairs spin, overall I think it's a strong short for them. Better than last year. Elements still need work on the finesse and quality though IMO (but that's expected). I think Meagan has improved the fluidity in her arms and they're listening to their music more in general, unison/matching lines look a bit better to me as well, this short program is a success!

Chile, that twist though.. :wideeyes: you've done this element better.

Last edited:

fsfann

Ugh. It was nice skating, but the music choice just strikes me as bizarre. I shoudl put a disclaimer here that I have always been a huge fan of D&R, so I hate being critical... but when I watch the program, I want to turn on other music as it feels like the program doesn't match this (boring) music... It could have been carnival music...or classical music...or rock music...or anything really. Nice skating though, especially for this early in the season..but that music doesn't really do anything for me at all. Maybe we should have a competition to find another song to play with that choreography..I think anything would go better with it than that.. :/

nimi

It was nice skating, but the music choice just strikes me as bizarre.
Has anybody ever tried to offer a sociological/cultural explanation of figure skating's lasting love affair with bland/pointless/cheesy cover versions of pop/rock songs? (Musical anthropologists, there's your thesis topic!)

Well, at least it's a listeneable -- if bland -- cover version and the choreo is perfectly nice, so I'm okay with this program.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:lol: that's how I felt about their 2015 and 2016 SPs but they were (deservedly) World Champions those years, so maybe it'll turn out to be good for them that you feel this way. I think it's much better choreography, it's the interpretation and P/E that still needs work IMO.

nimi

:lol: that's how I felt about their 2015 and 2016 SPs
Yeah, I wasn't fan of the 2015-16 SP either...

Actually, I had kinda blocked it from my memory: I had to do a Youtube search and then I closed the tab pretty quickly when the bleating started, lol :scream:

ETA Thanks for the link (can't remember who posted it), appreciate it!

honey

I like this dress on Meagan very much as well. I think it might be a modified practice dress actually.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4043952.14907158..._1180/fig-canadian-championships-20170119.jpg

Different skirt and more beading now, but I think it's this dress.

She had posted a picture the other day of a different costume, saying it was for the short. https://twitter.com/mhjd_85/status/892457980100325380

Maybe that one wasn't ready yet or something. Either way, I think she should keep the one she wore today.

newskatefan2

Villeneuve strained his right ankle during practice in NJ on Monday. They skated the SP on Friday but his ankle condition worsened on Saturday. BTW, Villeneuve's fall during their SP was due to his right ankle not keeping up with pressure. Apparently he could hardly walk to get to the arena Saturday morning; he had physio early morning and had his ankle taped. They gave a shot to the warm-up to see if he could skate but they then felt it was too much risky to skate (high risk of falling during lifts or twist and with, of course, possible injuries to Marvaldi). Villeneuve decided to withdraw the team from the competition. I feel they made the right decision. Source: direct talk with their coach.

Rock2

The thing that struck me about D/R's short is that they are less hesitant to show line, possibly because of their differences in size and body type. More stretched limbs this year...and it works.

The highlight for me at this stage of the year with the program was the creamy transition into the much bigger throw. Going for big GoE on this element it looks like, after reluctantly giving up on the 3ATh.

nimi

More stretched limbs this year...and it works.

The highlight for me at this stage of the year with the program was the creamy transition into the much bigger throw. Going for big GoE on this element it looks like, after reluctantly giving up on the 3ATh.
Agreed on all points!

While I liked the "Eric flinging Meagan around his neck" transition they used to do, this looks a lot smoother and fits the program perfectly ("creamy transition" is a very apt description!)

nimi

Latest blog post from Meagan
We also worked with our coach and reworked our technique on many elements. The throws in particular. We wanted more seamless throws, with better quality execution and we have reworked our technique to allow this to happen. We also worked with a Russian coach on skating skills and we completely redid the way we do basic crossovers. At 31 years old and many habits so ingrained, this was probably the most challenging for me.
Wow. Respect!

DFO

Ontario Summer Sizzle

One pair in Novice
1 Mackenzie Ripley / Owen Brawley St Thomas FSC/Kitchener - Waterloo S SO 27.32 (1) 55.17 (1) 82.49
The short didn't went well while they did better than at Minto with the free.

One in Junior
1 Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock London SC/Kitchener - Waterloo SC SO 43.79 (1) 75.50 (1) 119.29
Much better short for them than Minto. Free went well.

DFO

To watch at the Thornhill event next weekend:

4 senior pairs
Natasha Purich / Davin Portz Calalta FSC/Calalta FSC
Lubov Ilushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch Toronto CS & CC/Toronto CS & CC
Shalena Rau / Johann Wilkinson Preston FSC/Preston FSC
Brittany Jones / Joshua Reagan Hamilton SC/Hamilton SC

8 junior pairs
Isabella Mancini / Christian Reekie Burlington Skating Centre/Gloucester Skating C
Marin Ono / Kurtis Schreiber Japan/Japan
Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy Skate Canada Brampton-Chinguacousy/Skate C
Allison Eby / Matthew den Boer Ayr SC/Racquet Club of Victoria SC
Patricia Andrew / Paxton Knott London SC/London SC
Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock London SC/Kitchener - Waterloo SC
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud London SC/Trenton FSC
Alison Schumacher / Zachary Daleman Riverside SC/Toronto CS & CC

and 2 Novice pairs
Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste Canadian Ice Academy/Canadian Ice Academy
Mackenzie Ripley / Owen Brawley Kitchener - Waterloo SC/Kitchener - Waterloo S

Saturday August 19
6:25 PM Pre-Novice & Novice Pair Short
7:10 PM Junior Pair Short
8:15 PM Senior Pair Short

Sunday August 20
11:55 AM Pre-Novice & Novice Pair Free
12:30 PM Junior Pair Free
1:40 PM Senior Pair Free

I heard there will be live streaming but haven't found any link yet.

barbarafan

To watch at the Thornhill event next weekend:

4 senior pairs
Natasha Purich / Davin Portz Calalta FSC/Calalta FSC
Lubov Ilushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch Toronto CS & CC/Toronto CS & CC
Shalena Rau / Johann Wilkinson Preston FSC/Preston FSC
Brittany Jones / Joshua Reagan Hamilton SC/Hamilton SC

8 junior pairs
Isabella Mancini / Christian Reekie Burlington Skating Centre/Gloucester Skating C
Marin Ono / Kurtis Schreiber Japan/Japan
Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy Skate Canada Brampton-Chinguacousy/Skate C
Allison Eby / Matthew den Boer Ayr SC/Racquet Club of Victoria SC
Patricia Andrew / Paxton Knott London SC/London SC
Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock London SC/Kitchener - Waterloo SC
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud London SC/Trenton FSC
Alison Schumacher / Zachary Daleman Riverside SC/Toronto CS & CC

and 2 Novice pairs
Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste Canadian Ice Academy/Canadian Ice Academy
Mackenzie Ripley / Owen Brawley Kitchener - Waterloo SC/Kitchener - Waterloo S

Saturday August 19
6:25 PM Pre-Novice & Novice Pair Short
7:10 PM Junior Pair Short
8:15 PM Senior Pair Short

Sunday August 20
11:55 AM Pre-Novice & Novice Pair Free
12:30 PM Junior Pair Free
1:40 PM Senior Pair Free

I heard there will be live streaming but haven't found any link yet.

thank-you...pls keep us posted.....will you be there?

Rock2

The schedule isn't too bad for Thornhill at all. I'm not that far, so if my sched pans out I might be there for the LPs anyway. I'm mostly into men and pairs, both Sr and Jr. And since they aren't jamming 48 Jr ladies in between some of my preferred events (love me some Canadian ladies, but Jesus....) I can see a lot in just a few hrs.

chantilly

Very impressed with the improvements in Meghan's skating.
There's far more fluidity and line to her skating, the takeoff for the throw is way shorter.
Needs mileage and more expression, but considering how early it is I have a great feeling for them.
If they can deliver the technical they have such a shot a gold
Can't wait to see it live at Canadians.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I love Meagan's new short haircut. And their sp looks like it's coming along well with the new improvements to their skating they are trying to master. :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wrn2j D/R sp @21:40 in this video

The NKorean pair Ryom/Kim are looking hot to trot skating their sp to the Beatles' A Day in the Life.

I'm enjoying Kirsten/Michael's new (not new but looks new) fp. It's so lovely and romantic with lots of interesting touches.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wujgz :encore:
They are so much improved and improving still. I'm happy for them. :cheer2:
(I wonder if they had a slight problem with steadying the last lift or if the hesitation was part of the choreo?)

Julie Marcotte has created a very lovely fp for Merv/Marissa too in a similar lyrical, romantic vein but each of these programs suit the different personalities of each team. Bravo! :encore: Now fingers-crossed that M&M can fix their tech issues. :drama:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

crazy2skate

Roster for the JGP in Latvia are up and Choinard & Ostiguy are joining Walsh & Michaud in Riga.

Guess Choinard/Ostiguy's monitoring is going well so Skate Canada didn't want to waste a chance to send them to 2 events. I was pretty impressed with Chloe's single skating at Minto last week--she has double axel, triple toe, triple sal so not really a surprise that they got an assignment if they are doing well with the pair elements in practice to go along with their sbs jumps.
It is really a shame and a surprise that Choinard and Ostiguy did not get in one more competition before sending them off to a JGP, they only did the Quebec Summer Skate. The programs need to get some mileage on them, especially for a new team!

DE93

It is really a shame and a surprise that Choinard and Ostiguy did not get in one more competition before sending them off to a JGP, they only did the Quebec Summer Skate. The programs need to get some mileage on them, especially for a new team!
I mean they've been together for like 4 months and she's never done pairs before - the improvement in confidence even between the short and the long was visible to me in the rink. To be fair, there aren't many competitions being held between now and when they leave. A few more weeks of practicing and run throughs will no doubt make a big difference. I think they have loads of potential. :)

Rock2

Moore-Towers/Marinaro's new SP to "Sweet Dreams" covered by Terez Montcalm at the Quebec competition (starting ~21:30 mark): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wrgu0
They kept their FS music from last season to "Un Ange Passe" by Alain Lefevre.

I've posted links to the North Korean pair's Quebec programs (last year's SP and new FS) in the Pairs Discussion thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...two-skating-as-one.101317/page-2#post-5110735

Much better styling for MT/M this year in the short compared to what I found to be fairly generic for their first two years in Montreal. I saw their LP at camp last year with MT skating through the jumps all concussed and it still made a strong impression. I'm glad they are giving it another year to develop.

The Koreans. Ginette Reno for North Korean skaters. Why??
I honestly think you have to be Quebecois to fully appreciate her because to outsiders her voice and music has got to be pretty hard to listen to. And this coming from someone who grew up close the Quebec border and thus had her music in my house.

I'll just assume Julie is getting a kickback from the Quebec government as a cultural ambassador. Otherwise, :duh:

aftershocks

Banned Member
They kept their FS music from last season to "Un Ange Passe" by Alain Lefevre.

Okay, yes, I see that now. Since M-T/M got a late start to last season due to Kirsten's concussion, that must be one reason why they kept their last season's fp with apparently perhaps some slight changes to the choreo, or at least refinements. They look a great deal more comfortable with this fp and they skated it better at the recent Quebec comp than they did at Canadian Nationals in January.

I enjoyed M-T/M's sp from last season, and their new sp is a growing improvement for this season. They were getting their feet underneath them and getting to know and trust each other in their first two seasons. We can see their progress on a number of levels and they still have a way to go, particularly stylistically and in terms of becoming seamless together as partners.

I see Cami and Drew also have kept their last season fp to Michael Jackson's Earth Song. Keeping it will give them a chance to continue developing a very interesting and challenging program for them.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wugwt R/W Quebec comp

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information