Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

Tinami Amori

I hope it works out. If only because she has been so vocal about how much she loves Canada and even outside skating, I think she'd be extremely proud to be Canadian.

(And I love her and Dylan and want them to compete at the Olympics)

I am sure she does.. :lol:..... and i like to see them skate at the Olympics too, they are a strong team. But... do you expect her to say anything else other than how much she likes Canada?..... :D... She could have found a partner in France, or USA or some other country.... and she would have loved it just as much.:summer:

ChiquitaBanana

I am sure she does.. :lol:..... and i like to see them skate at the Olympics too, they are a strong team. But... do you expect her to say anything else other than how much she likes Canada?..... :D... She could have found a partner in France, or USA or some other country.... and she would have loved it just as much.:summer:

I understand your point, but don't you think Canada is really a great place to live over the USA and France these days (politically at least)?

CassAgain

Lubov fell in love with Canada (and said so at the time) when she was there to skate for Russia with her previous partner at Skate Canada 2010. She seems like an extremely positive person, so she probably would be happy in another country, but her love for Canada predates her partnership with Dylan.

DFO

Thornill event. Shorts are done. Non official results.

senior
Lubov Ilushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch 65,69
Natasha Purich / Davin Portz Calalta 46,17
Shalena Rau / Johann Wilkinson Preston 41,95
Brittany Jones / Joshua Reagan WD

junior
Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy 48,79
Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock 47,84
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud 44,32
Allison Eby / Matthew den Boer 40,80
Patricia Andrew / Paxton Knott 37,80
Alison Schumacher / Zachary Daleman 36,15
Marin Ono / Kurtis Schreiber 34,42
Isabella Mancini / Christian Reekie. I missed the results, but they ended-up last

Novice
Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste 38,53
Mackenzie Ripley / Owen Brawley 35,29

Link for the results: http://www.skateontario.org/summer-skate-start-ordersresults/
But they were not available at time of writing.

Free starting at 11:55 Sunday August 20

Catherine M

I love Luba & Dylan's new short program but then (1) I love that song and (2) they could skate to Alvin & the Chipmunk's greatest hits and I'd still love them.

Seriously, one of the main things that I noticed is that Dylan is not only presenting Luba wonderfully, he is also holding his own in the footwork sequence.

Feeling very thankful that I have the opportunity to make the trip to Skate Canada in late October and see it live.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I really like the new SP, I wish there was more choreography in the first half though. I'd also like to see her flexibility emphasized a bit more throughout (even if it's little subtle touches) to set them apart from the other teams, but I expect this program to go over well this year.

Isn't the 3salchow more consistent for Luba as of late? I always hold my breath whenever they go into a SBS jump :yikes: they have everything else though and I really hope they have an awesome season! :cheer:

Rock2

I really like the new SP, I wish there was more choreography in the first half though. I'd also like to see her flexibility emphasized a bit more throughout (even if it's little subtle touches) to set them apart from the other teams, but I expect this program to go over well this year.

Isn't the 3salchow more consistent for Luba as of late? I always hold my breath whenever they go into a SBS jump :yikes: they have everything else though and I really hope they have an awesome season! :cheer:

That seems to be the criticism. Simple and/or non-existent choreography. If they can add to it all the better.

As for her jumps, I think 'what's working' changes monthly...which is I think why they choose an entrance pattern that works for either jump

DFO

After the Thornhill event, here are the best scores of the season in Junior and Novice pairs:

Junior
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud London SC/Trenton FSC 43.62 (3) 105.86 (1) 149.48 Thornhill
Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock London SC/Kitchener - Waterloo SC 47.14 (2) 88.26 (2) 135.40 Thornhill
Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland St-Romuald / St-Jean/St-Romuald / S CACH/CACH 54.22 (1) 79.60 (3) 133.82 Summer Qc Championsh
Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy Skate Canada Brampton-Chinguacous 48.79 (1) 84.35 (3) 133.14 Thornhill
Chloe Panetta / Steven Lapointe Les Lames d'Argent/Acton Vale LV/RA 49.26 (2) 81.92 (1) 131.18 Summer Qc Championsh
Allison Eby / Matthew den Boer Ayr SC/Racquet Club of Victoria SC 40.80 (4) 81.82 (4) 122.62 Thornhill
Chloe Choinard / Mathieu Ostiguy Saint-Léonard/St-Césaire BA/RA 40.68 (5) 80.54 (2) 121.22 Summer Qc Championsh
Gabrielle Levesque / Pier-Alexandre Hudon St Margaret s Bay SC/CPA La Pocatiè 40.48 (6) 68.88 (5) 109.36 Summer Qc Championsh
Katherina Frantz / Nicolas Frantz CPA Boucherville/CPA Boucherville 37.20 (7) 70.88 (4) 108.08 Summer Qc Championsh
Patricia Andrew / Paxton Knott London SC/London SC 39.08 (4) 68.46 (4) 107.54 Minto
Marin Ono / Kurtis Schreiber Japan/Japan 34.42 (7) 62.30 (6) 96.72 Thornhill
Isabella Mancini / Christian Reekie Burlington Skating Centre/Glouceste 30.28 (8) 54.38 (7) 84.66 Thornhill
Alison Schumacher / Zachary Daleman Riverside SC/Toronto CS & CC 36.15 (6) 36.15 Thornhill

Novice
Camille Perreault / Bryan Pierro CPA Magog/CPA St-Hubert 36.55 (1) 63.80 (1) 100.35 Summer Qc Championsh
Brooke McIntosh / Brandon Toste Canadian Ice Academy/Canadian Ice A 38,53 / 60,58 / 99,11 Thornhill
Marine Pouliot / Alexandre Simard CPA Lorraine /CPA La Pocatière Inc. 32.93 (2) 61.67 (2) 94.60 Summer Qc Championsh
Mackenzie Ripley / Owen Brawley Kitchener-Waterloo SC/Kitchener-Wa 35,29 / 58,66/ 93,95 Thornhill
Veronique Turbide / William St-Louis Les Tourne-sol/CPA Tourne-Sol 29.34 (3) 56.13 (3) 85.47 Summer Qc Championsh
Sophia O'Brien‐Doerksen / Josh Venema (2017 N3) 30,97 / 53,07 / 84,04 Wildrose
Lia Pereira / James Robart-Morgan CO 27,47 / 47,94 / 75,41 Detroit (US score)
Emi Swanson / Raine Eberl Skate Tisdale/Moose Jaw SC 25.63 (4) 47.13 (5) 72.76 Wildrose
Asha Gumpinger / Josh Brauner 22,36 /32,58 / 54,94 Wildrose

Catherine M

Belarus JGP assignments are up on the Skate Canada website and no 3rd team again:

Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland
Chloe Panetta / Steven Lapointe

I understand the criteria has been set with what technical elements you must have but I am just a bit disappointed for the Boys-Eddys not to get a spot either in Latvia or Belarus. Maybe this will inspire them to work even harder on those sbs jumps!!

newskatefan2

Belarus JGP assignments are up on the Skate Canada website and no 3rd team again:

I understand the criteria has been set with what technical elements you must have but I am just a bit disappointed for the Boys-Eddys not to get a spot either in Latvia or Belarus. Maybe this will inspire them to work even harder on those sbs jumps!!

Read this: hard to understant what is going on in this world...

Canadian PAIRS selection for JGPs

Jr Eligible Years: 2 or less, Total Score 145

FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel, plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1, 1 triple jump, 1 triple throw jump, 1 additional throw jump

Jr Eligible Years: 3 or more, Total Score 127

FREE PROGRAM Double Axel, plus achieve 2 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1, 1 triple jump, 1 triple throw jump, 1 additional throw jump

Jumps and Throws with a GOE -1.9 or higher

All of the following teams are in the first category (2 years or less of JGP eligibility):

Lapointe, born May 2, 1997, 20 years of age as of July 1st 2017, last year of eligibility

Ostiguy, born January 27, 1997, 20 years of age as of July 1st 2017, last year of eligibility

Ferland, born August 3, 1997, 19 years of age as of July 1st 2017, but Matte was born June 30, 1999, 18 years of age as of July 1st 2017, hence last year of eligibility

Boys-Eddy, born July 7, 1998, 18 years of age as of July 1st 2017, two years of eligibility.

Program requirements for each team (as per selection criteria): bold indicates that the requirement has been met during recent competitions,

Panetta and Lapointe

Score 145+ (131.18 at Québec Championnats d'été); FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel (failed), plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1 (only do double twist), 1 triple jump (no: 2Lz+2T), 1 triple throw jump (3LoTh), 1 additional throw jump (3STh)

Choinard and Ostiguy

Score 145+ (121.22 at Québec Championnats d'été); FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel (failed), plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1 (only do double twist), 1 triple jump (3T+2T), 1 triple throw jump (3LoTh but GOE -1,4), 1 additional throw jump (3STh with -2.1 GOE)

Matte and Ferland

Score 145+ (133.82 at Québec Championnats d'été); FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel (failed, 1A), plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1 (only do double twist), 1 triple jump (2T+2T), 1 triple throw jump (3LoTh), 1 additional throw jump (3LzTh -1,4 GOE)

Boys-Eddy and Boys-Eddy

Score 145+(best 133.14 at Thornhill); FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel (failed, downgraded), plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1 (3Tw3), 1 triple jump, 1 triple throw jump (3STh), 1 additional throw jump (2LzTh)

Summary for current year:

Panetta and Lapointe: score = no (131.18); 2 out of 4 elements

Choinard and Ostiguy: score = no (121.22); 2 out of 4 elements

Matte and Ferland: score = no (133.82); 2 out of 4 elements

Boys-Eddy and Boys-Eddy: score = no (133.14): 3 out of 4 elements.

So why aren't the Boys-Eddys assigned at least one JGP? They are no worse than other teams or even better than some teams that are already assigned. Draw your own conclusions. Isn't all this kind of weird/amazing?

Link for selection criteria:
https://info.skatecanada.ca/hc/en-c...n-to-Jr-Grand-Prix-International-Competitions

Sk8mom123

I felt the same way. I wonder why they are not using that 3rd spot. You would think it would be beneficial to other teams to get the experience. I wonder if they will for the final two events?

newskatefan2

I felt the same way. I wonder why they are not using that 3rd spot. You would think it would be beneficial to other teams to get the experience. I wonder if they will for the final two events?

I, too, feel sad about this. As you say, why aren't they using the 3rd spot? Experience is priceless, so they should better support those skaters who are working hard and who have good potential for representing our country. Not using the 3rd spot probably has to do with the fact that this is an olympic year and that Skate Canada wants to put more money in supporting teams that will be selected for the Olympics. Or, maybe, there are some other reasons that I do not know about.

Catherine M

Its not helping that these JGP events where the pairs are competing are in eastern Europe and not easy to get to from North America, adding to the travel costs. One thing that stuck out for me is no man/lady in Belarus due to lack of spots for singles skating so you'd think the 3rd pairs team could take their place on the plane!

USFS did their pair teams no favors by only sending ONE team to Latvia but that's for another thread.

Oh well, feel bad for the skaters that are being left behind for whatever reason. Maybe we'll see the full compliment for Croatia/Poland.

kalamalka

Great analysis, newskatefan2, and thanks for pulling all that info together. BUT

Read this: hard to understand what is going on in this world...

Boys-Eddy, born July 7, 1998, 18 years of age as of July 1st 2017, two years of eligibility.

Shouldn't that be three years of eligibility (will be 20 as of July 1, 2019)? In that case, they have met the minimum score requirement of 127, as well as 3/4 (and should technically only have needed 2/4 at that level) of the other listed elements. It seems as if the downgraded 2A trumps everything else.

Sk8mom123

I certainly don't disagree with you. The selection criteria does also state "(Eligible years will be used as a guide should there be a large age difference between partners)" I think that Panetta and Choinard are both quite a bit younger than their partners maybe that comes into play? It will be curious to see who they assign to Croatia and Poland. Maybe the Boys-Eddy's will get an assignment there. They are lovely to watch.

Read this: hard to understant what is going on in this world...

Canadian PAIRS selection for JGPs

Jr Eligible Years: 2 or less, Total Score 145

FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel, plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1, 1 triple jump, 1 triple throw jump, 1 additional throw jump

Jr Eligible Years: 3 or more, Total Score 127

FREE PROGRAM Double Axel, plus achieve 2 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1, 1 triple jump, 1 triple throw jump, 1 additional throw jump

Jumps and Throws with a GOE -1.9 or higher

All of the following teams are in the first category (2 years or less of JGP eligibility):

Lapointe, born May 2, 1997, 20 years of age as of July 1st 2017, last year of eligibility

Ostiguy, born January 27, 1997, 20 years of age as of July 1st 2017, last year of eligibility

Ferland, born August 3, 1997, 19 years of age as of July 1st 2017, but Matte was born June 30, 1999, 18 years of age as of July 1st 2017, hence last year of eligibility

Program requirements for each team (as per selection criteria): bold indicates that the requirement has been met during recent competitions,

Panetta and Lapointe

Score 145+ (131.18 at Québec Championnats d'été); FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel (failed), plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1 (only do double twist), 1 triple jump (no: 2Lz+2T), 1 triple throw jump (3LoTh), 1 additional throw jump (3STh)

Choinard and Ostiguy

Score 145+ (121.22 at Québec Championnats d'été); FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel (failed), plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1 (only do double twist), 1 triple jump (3T+2T), 1 triple throw jump (3LoTh but GOE -1,4), 1 additional throw jump (3STh with -2.1 GOE)

Matte and Ferland

Score 145+ (133.82 at Québec Championnats d'été); FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel (failed, 1A), plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1 (only do double twist), 1 triple jump (2T+2T), 1 triple throw jump (3LoTh), 1 additional throw jump (3LzTh -1,4 GOE)

Boys-Eddy and Boys-Eddy

Score 145+(best 133.14 at Thornhill); FREE PROGRAM: Double Axel (failed, downgraded), plus achieve 3 of the 4 following elements: 1 triple twist Level 1 (3Tw3), 1 triple jump, 1 triple throw jump (3STh), 1 additional throw jump (2LzTh)

Summary for current year:

Panetta and Lapointe: score = no (131.18); 2 out of 4 elements

Choinard and Ostiguy: score = no (121.22); 2 out of 4 elements

Matte and Ferland: score = no (133.82); 2 out of 4 elements

Boys-Eddy and Boys-Eddy: score = no (133.14): 3 out of 4 elements.

So why aren't the Boys-Eddys assigned at least one JGP? They are no worse than other teams or even better than some teams that are already assigned. Draw your own conclusions. Isn't all this kind of weird/amazing?

Link for selection criteria:
https://info.skatecanada.ca/hc/en-c...n-to-Jr-Grand-Prix-International-Competitions

newskatefan2

Great analysis, newskatefan2, and thanks for pulling all that info together. BUT

Shouldn't that be three years of eligibility (will be 20 as of July 1, 2019)? In that case, they have met the minimum score requirement of 127, as well as 3/4 (and should technically only have needed 2/4 at that level) of the other listed elements. It seems as if the downgraded 2A trumps everything else.

Age requirements are the following (as per ISU): Skaters who reach the age of 13 by July 1, 2017 but have not turned 19 (singles and females of the other two disciplines) or 21 (male pair skaters and ice dancers) are eligible to compete on the junior circuit.

My mistake: he is 18 on July 1st 2017, then he'll be 19 by 2018 and 20 in 2019. Therefore, they have the required score (127 as you pointed out) along with required elements with the exception of 2A jumps. Thanks kalamalka for pointing out my mistake.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think he then has four years of eligibility, including the year he turns 21 on July 1: You have to be X age or not X age by July 1, which means June 30 the latest. He'll still be 20 on 30 June 2020.

That's why the singles skaters who turn 15 on July 1 have to wait a year to skate in seniors.

newskatefan2

I certainly don't disagree with you. The selection criteria does also state "(Eligible years will be used as a guide should there be a large age difference between partners)" I think that Panetta and Choinard are both quite a bit younger than their partners maybe that comes into play? It will be curious to see who they assign to Croatia and Poland. Maybe the Boys-Eddy's will get an assignment there. They are lovely to watch.

I read about that statement you are referring to (eligible years will be used...) but clearly I do not understand the purpose of such a statement. My interpretation would rather take the sense of a tie breaking rule for selecting a team when 2 or more teams are quite head-to-head in terms of qualification for an assignment. Why setting detailed technical requirements for qualification if only the age (or number of years of eligibility) counts? Further, the statement states "...as a guide...", it then should not make the rule. Anyway, IMO, besides Walsh/Michaud who clearly deserve JGP assignments (not part of my analysis since their case is clear to all of us), I am unconfortable with assignments to the teams I included into my analysis, my disconfort is based on what seems to be a breaking of the rules (scores and elements).

newskatefan2

I think he then has four years of eligibility, including the year he turns 21 on July 1: You have to be X age or not X age by July 1, which means June 30 the latest. He'll still be 20 on 30 June 2020.

That's why the singles skaters who turn 15 on July 1 have to wait a year to skate in seniors.

See ISU Communication No. 1874 (http://static.isu.org/media/139536/1874-sp-changes-accepted-by-the-2014-isu-congress.pdf).

Excerpt from rule 108 par. 3 b): "In International Junior Competitions and ISU Junior Championships a Junior is a Skater who has met the following requirements before July 1st preceding the event:
i) has reached at least the age of thirteen (13);
ii) has not reached the age of nineteen (19) for Ladies and Men in singles competition; and
iii) has not reached the age of nineteen (19) for Ladies and the age of twenty one (21) for Men in Pair Skating and Ice Dance competition.
The text is a bit unclear but I accept your point. In terms of the quality of the writing, it is somewhat poor: see for instance in sub-par. iii "... for Ladies and the age ... for Men" AND is not OR and it implies this inclusion of both parts meaning that your are a Lady and a Men at the same time"; since AND is inclusive therefore it includes all parts while OR is selective and has the sense of one or the other (which should be the case here since you cannot be a female and a male at the same time).

That being said, it means that Boys-Eddy meets the score requirement plus the Free Program requirements which, for teams having 3 or more years of eligibility, is set to 2 elements out of 4. They should be assigned ipso facto.

newskatefan2

The age difference between Olivia Boys-Eddy and her brother Mackenzie is at most as large as that between Panetta and her partner Lapointe. Age difference between Choinard and Ostiguy is the larger of the group.

DE93

That being said, it means that Boys-Eddy meets the score requirement plus the Free Program requirements which, for teams having 3 or more years of eligibility, is set to 2 elements out of 4. They should be assigned ipso facto.

I'm not sure anyone on this thread is arguing with you about whether or not they should be assigned... From what I've read, almost everyone agrees that they should qualify for a spot...

barbarafan

I thought the Boys-Eddy's jumps looked liked they were really improving despite the downgrades. I wouldn't be surprised to see them assigned one of the later dates at all.
from what I saw last yr.....they left the later slots open to see how the first slots skated....If a pr skated really well they gave them a 2nd spot.....if most blah results they added new prs at the end

DFO

I'm with all of you. Boy's-Eddy should get some recognition. I could understand Panetta/Lapointe because it's the last year of eligibility of Steven Lapointe. Same thing for Choinard/Ostiguy. Mathieu will be too old next year. They didn't proved anything yet in competition together but maybe skate Canada saw their potential in training and Mathieu do have previous international pair experience. I believe the Boy's-Eddy just have to be patient, it will come soon. They also made a lot of progress since last year.

I also do have a good feeling about McCaw/Adcock. Any reasons why they wouldn't be considered? I heard Adcock also have British citizenship.

And while we are taling about skaters who should get international assignation, I would love to see McIntosh/Toste in a Novice international event. I believe they are the only actual Canadian novices still eligible in International novices (had to be under 15). I'm not convince about the interest of international Novice compétitions since most of the time, the skaters are alone in the class, but it would give them international experience and visibility, something that should prove interesting when they will be juniors. Maybe I should write a proposition to Skate Canada? Or maybe they are also lurking into skating forums... :blocjudge

What do you think? Any incentive for Canada to send Novice skaters to an international event?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information