Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

barbarafan

I'm with all of you. Boy's-Eddy should get some recognition. I could understand Panetta/Lapointe because it's the last year of eligibility of Steven Lapointe. Same thing for Choinard/Ostiguy. Mathieu will be too old next year. They didn't proved anything yet in competition together but maybe skate Canada saw their potential in training and Mathieu do have previous international pair experience. I believe the Boy's-Eddy just have to be patient, it will come soon. They also made a lot of progress since last year.

I also do have a good feeling about McCaw/Adcock. Any reasons why they wouldn't be considered? I heard Adcock also have British citizenship.

And while we are taling about skaters who should get international assignation, I would love to see McIntosh/Toste in a Novice international event. I believe they are the only actual Canadian novices still eligible in International novices (had to be under 15). I'm not convince about the interest of international Novice compétitions since most of the time, the skaters are alone in the class, but it would give them international experience and visibility, something that should prove interesting when they will be juniors. Maybe I should write a proposition to Skate Canada? Or maybe they are also lurking into skating forums... :blocjudge

What do you think? Any incentive for Canada to send Novice skaters to an international event?

Skate ontario sent a few last year...but I believe the section and/or the rink paid...There seems to be new management at skate Canada which have some good ideas...The whole nextgen initiative is a great improvement and I think on that note they will send more novices out this yr ..I certainly hope so.....elements are one part of the sport but being able to compete is also a big part and you only improve with lots of experience.

ChiquitaBanana

Anyway, IMO, besides Walsh/Michaud who clearly deserve JGP assignments (not part of my analysis since their case is clear to all of us), I am unconfortable with assignments to the teams I included into my analysis, my disconfort is based on what seems to be a breaking of the rules (scores and elements).

I disagree about Matte/Ferland. They have achieved the technical content more than once, got a great outting on the JGP last year. They totally deserve their assignment even if they had a bad LP at QSS.

They got 151 at the 2017 Bavarian Open. They have a fairly consistent 2A, and two throw triples in their free (got all these three elements in their long at Canadians). I read the NextGen requirements as "to be attempted/planned with a fairly high level of success", not always being right on (they are juniors...)

mackiecat

I think macaw/hadoc have aged out. They placed well at Toronto this weekend. Any reports?

nadioso

Skate ontario sent a few last year...but I believe the section and/or the rink paid...There seems to be new management at skate Canada which have some good ideas...The whole nextgen initiative is a great improvement and I think on that note they will send more novices out this yr ..I certainly hope so.....elements are one part of the sport but being able to compete is also a big part and you only improve with lots of experience.

I think nextgen is great.

In pairs , I don't see Skate Canada sending novice pairs to international competition. After nationals , they sent novice ladies , men and dance to competition but not pairs.

The international rules for advanced novice pairs don't allow 1 armed lifts, group 5 lifts, triple jumps , triple throws, triple twists in either the short or long program. IOW, you can't try the big skills at all.

In the other disciplines for international novice, skaters can try the hard skills in the free at lease ( even if the rules are slightly more restricted in the SP or in the case of ice dance simpler CDs than we do domestically.

IOW , there is no real opportunity for novice pairs to get experience with advanced skills in international competition.

cdn skate fan

Thanks for this information! I had no idea the rules were so restrictive for pairs at the International novice comps.
I have only heard some very basic information about nextgen. How does it actually help the skaters?

newskatefan2

I disagree about Matte/Ferland. They have achieved the technical content more than once, got a great outting on the JGP last year. They totally deserve their assignment even if they had a bad LP at QSS.

They got 151 at the 2017 Bavarian Open. They have a fairly consistent 2A, and two throw triples in their free (got all these three elements in their long at Canadians). I read the NextGen requirements as "to be attempted/planned with a fairly high level of success", not always being right on (they are juniors...)

Sorry ChiquitaBanana but you missed my point. I never said that Matte/Ferland do not deserve a JGP assignment. The point I was making is about Boys-Eddys who seem to be neglected by Skate Canada while they fulfill assignment requirements (even better than some other teams that are already assigned).

I just checked on ISU for Minsk JGP; Levesque/Hudon are listed as spares (they scored 105.88 at Minto, 109.36 in Montréal) while the Boys-Eddys are not yet listed anywhere...

Last edited:

Catherine M

just checked on ISU for Minsk JGP; Levesque/Hudon are listed as spares (they scored 105.88 at Minto, 109.36 in Montréal) while the Boys-Eddys are not yet listed anywhere...

Yeah that's another :huh: moment for whomever is making these decisions. Nothing against Levesque/Hudon but that doesn't make any sense to leave Boys-Eddys even off the SUB LIST.

The way this is going only two teams (Choinard/Ostiguy and Penatta/Lapointe) are going to have the chance to go out there and join Walsh/Michaud and Matte/Ferland with Jr world min scores. I know there are only two spots but you want to have as many eligible teams with the min scores as you never know where they will all be techically and physically come March!

barbarafan

Yeah that's another :huh: moment for whomever is making these decisions. Nothing against Levesque/Hudon but that doesn't make any sense to leave Boys-Eddys even off the SUB LIST.

The way this is going only two teams (Choinard/Ostiguy and Penatta/Lapointe) are going to have the chance to go out there and join Walsh/Michaud and Matte/Ferland with Jr world min scores. I know there are only two spots but you want to have as many eligible teams with the min scores as you never know where they will all be techically and physically come March!

Didn't they have a bad outing at Minto and last weekend does not count...Maybe that is why?

crazy2skate

I have to agree Boys-Eddy are making an effort and attempting to get those double axels, they are getting the marks, how long can Skate Canada hold out before sending them on a JGP?? I completely agree with getting as many teams out there and getting the min scores, so much can happen before March. There are many new teams and you never know who will emerge! Looking at the list that DFO nicely put together there are several teams that are very close, Choinard and Ostiguy, Panetta and LaPointe and Eby and DenBoer. I think all 3 boys age out this year, (the girls have several years junior eligibility.) All 3 teams have potential and each team bring great skills, we have not seen what they can do yet!

Catherine M

Didn't they have a bad outing at Minto and last weekend does not count...Maybe that is why?

I think the Boys-Eddys had an overall score in the low 120s at Minto; too lazy to look it up :p.

I do remember they didn't attempt the double axels in the freeskatet there so that might be why they aren't on the Belarus list as the deadline for Belarus was LAST Friday, before they and the other teams step foot on the ice at Thornhill.

Now that they have put their double axels out there, maybe they'll get an assignment to Croatia or Poland.

newskatefan2

I think the Boys-Eddys had an overall score in the low 120s at Minto; too lazy to look it up :p.

I do remember they didn't attempt the double axels in the freeskatet there so that might be why they aren't on the Belarus list as the deadline for Belarus was LAST Friday, before they and the other teams step foot on the ice at Thornhill.

Now that they have put their double axels out there, maybe they'll get an assignment to Croatia or Poland.

Catherine M, I looked it up for you: 123.73. I sincerely hope that with the scores they had last weekend, they will finally get at least one assignment (if not 2 because Skate Canada has 12 spots in total this year - 2 of which were spoiled recently, 4 are already assigned with a net of 6 spots yet to be assigned).

ChiquitaBanana

Sorry ChiquitaBanana but you missed my point. I never said that Matte/Ferland do not deserve a JGP assignment. The point I was making is about Boys-Eddys who seem to be neglected by Skate Canada while they fulfill assignment requirements (even better than some other teams that are already assigned).

I just checked on ISU for Minsk JGP; Levesque/Hudon are listed as spares (they scored 105.88 at Minto, 109.36 in Montréal) while the Boys-Eddys are not yet listed anywhere...

Sorry newskatefan2 but a word is then missing in your post so your point would be clear. Reread it. No need to be rude, just do not forget words...

Catherine M

So enough about the JGP, lets talk about B Internationals! :D

So far we have:

Purich/Portz heading to Ondrej Nepela
Kolodziej/Deschamps heading to Salt Lake City
Moore-Towers/Marinaro also heading to Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City should be a good chance foe M-T/M to pick up an international win early in the season.

So we have the following needing assignments:

Seguin/Bilodeau
Ruest/Wolfe
Jones/Reagan (are they hurt?)
Duhamel/Radford (are they going to go out this fall?)
Lubov/Dylan

So any news?! Thoughts?!?

Doggygirl

Banned Member
The SP of Luba and Dylan. Pretty hot, I must say.

Oh my - LOVE THIS! I hope they have a fantastic season and I hope hope she gets her citizenship in time.

I felt KM-T/M2 looked stronger than last season in their opener, but I still can't help wondering if KM-T has regrets... Oh well. Her decision led to the Luba/Dylan partnership which I have thoroughly enjoyed, so no complaints here!

Catherine M

Ok, back to JGP talk :D

See on social media that Chloe Choinard and Mathieu Ostiguy have gotten a 2nd assignment to the JGP in Croatia.

Congrats to them! Love their freeskate to "The Artist" and I can't wait to see how it develops this fall.

fan

So enough about the JGP, lets talk about B Internationals! :D

So far we have:

Purich/Portz heading to Ondrej Nepela
Kolodziej/Deschamps heading to Salt Lake City
Moore-Towers/Marinaro also heading to Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City should be a good chance foe M-T/M to pick up an international win early in the season.

So we have the following needing assignments:

Seguin/Bilodeau
Ruest/Wolfe
Jones/Reagan (are they hurt?)
Duhamel/Radford (are they going to go out this fall?)
Lubov/Dylan

So any news?! Thoughts?!?
Lubov and Dylan will be starting their season at finlandia

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Skate Canada has changed the formatting on their website so it's more difficult to link directly to the international assignments page.

But Boys-Eddy are assigned to JGP in Croatia, along with Walsh/Michaud and Choinard/Ostiguy.

Ruest/Wolfe are going to Nebelhorn.

https://skatecanada.ca/2017-2018-event-schedule/#tab-31263c319f20cf01436

(All assignments are listed chronologically now).

Noey

Hello, I'm new here but I read you often and I thought about you when I saw the Boys-Eddy assignment.

spiral9509

Skating is Language
2017 Ontario Summer Pairs result & fancams (August 19-20)
* You can watch by clicking SP or FS

Senior Pairs
1 Natasha Purich / Davin Portz Calalta FSC/Calalta FSC SP 46.71 (2) FS 99.58 (1) 145.75
2 Shalena Rau / Johann Wilkinson Preston FSC/Preston FSC SP 41.95 (3) FS 67.74 (2) 109.69
3 Lubov Ilushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch Toronto CS & CC/Toronto CS & CC SP 65.69 (1) FS WD (3) 65.69
WD Brittany Jones / Joshua Reagan Hamilton SC/Hamilton SC

Junior Pairs
1 Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud London SC/Trenton FSC SP 43.62 (3) FS 105.86 (1) 149.48
2 Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock London SC/Kitchener - Waterloo SC SP 47.14 (2) FS 88.26 (2) 135.40
3 Olivia Boys-Eddy / Mackenzie Boys-Eddy Skate Canada Brampton-Chinguacous SP 48.79 (1) FS 84.35 (3) 133.14
4 Allison Eby / Matthew den Boer Ayr SC/Racquet Club of Victoria SC SP 40.80 (4) FS 81.82 (4) 122.62
5 Patricia Andrew / Paxton Knott London SC/London SC SP 37.80 (5) FS 65.63 (5) 103.43
6 Marin Ono / Kurtis Schreiber Japan/Japan SP 34.42 (7) FS 62.30 (6) 96.72
7 Isabella Mancini / Christian Reekie Burlington Skating Centre/Glouceste SP 30.28 (8) FS 54.38 (7) 84.66
8 Alison Schumacher / Zachary Daleman Riverside SC/Toronto CS & CC SP 36.15 (6) FS WD 36.15

results & protocol http://www.skateontario.org/summer-skate-start-ordersresults/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information