Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

Too bad for Andrew to miss the Final, but delighted for Stephen.

I really think Orser should replace that 4Lz with a second 4S; just landing three quads is enough in juniors. It's cool that he landed the 4Lz, but it's such a high-risk jump that I think for now he'd be better-served by doing an easier quad.

mag

Too bad for Andrew to miss the Final, but delighted for Stephen.

I really think Orser should replace that 4Lz with a second 4S; just landing three quads is enough in juniors. It's cool that he landed the 4Lz, but it's such a high-risk jump that I think for now he'd be better-served by doing an easier quad.

I think it is important to try it in competition. That said, now that he is at the JGPF I agree that going with a slightly less risky layout makes sense.

barbarafan

I think it is important to try it in competition. That said, now that he is at the JGPF I agree that going with a slightly less risky layout makes sense.

Seeing that now he most likely was practicing for Senior Nationals the 4lutz may be more consistent now. I would assume any decisions made about his programs would have to do with which jumps are consistent and if any particular jump causes any soreness. Go Stephen Go

Erin

Banned Member

I'm not sure he has much to lose at the JGPF, but at Canadians where the trip to Junior Worlds is on the line and(should he make it) Junior Worlds where future spots for JGP and Junior Worlds, there is more at stake.

Sorry to hear the news about Torgashev, but pleased that Stephen has a chance to compete at the JGPF. Hopefully this outing in Vancouver goes much better than his last one!

puglover

I wonder if there might be a change in the layout of the short, maybe moving the combination to later. He just seemed to bury himself after the short in Richmond and then have too much room to catch up in the long. I believe he had a great short at sectionals though.

Rock2

Great for Stephen that he gets to do Vancouver 2.0. I'm sure he'd like to replace his last performance there.

I don't see a need to change the short or long. He's been skating the short for two years and I'm sure is comfortable with it by now. The issues in Vancouver JGP to me are likely more a function of nerves associated with skating at home knowing you have a clear shot to the JGPF. That and he's just not a consistent skater yet. His performances are still up and down although I see some improvement -- especially with less popping.

As for the long, he lands all 3 quads with enough regularity that I don't see a huge downside to challenging himself to keep it in. The best way to get consistent is to keep drilling the same format. He's 13 and has so little at stake. Having won a JGP event and made the final should put him on the junior world team no matter what happens at nationals. It's Orzel/Phan/Kovler who are battling for the second slot.

Sylvia

TBD
His profile says he represents Canada. Did he guest skate at the Philippine nationals?
No, he was not listed as a guest skater in the entries document: http://www.philippineskating.org/uploads/1/1/4/3/114384349/list_of_participants.pdf
Celestino last represented Canada as a junior in October 2016 so I assume he has been released by now.

Official results are posted on the PHI fed. website and copied out in the Nationals subforum section of Kiss & Cry - excerpting his scores here:
SENIOR MEN FINAL RESULT
Total Score Pl. Name Nation SP FS
1 EDRIAN PAUL CELESTINO PHI 196.69 1 1

SP: 66.27 33.61 32.66 6.67 6.33 6.58 6.58 6.50 0.00
FS: 130.42 63.90 67.52 6.75 6.67 6.92 6.75 6.67 1.00 - landed 6 of his 7 planned triples: 3Lz+2T, 2A, 3F+1Eu+3S, 3Lz fall / 2A+3T, 3Lo, 3S.

Last edited:

geoskate

Thanks for posting the information, Sylvia.

It seems like a good move for him. He's a very enjoyable skater to watch, but without a triple axel and at least one quad he won't get on the Canadian national team - and those two jumps seemed to be elusive for him.

This way he will get to compete internationally, and skating fans will get to see his very good presentation skills.

screech

Crappy circumstances, but congrats to Keegan for being the first non-Chan Canadian male to qualify for the GPF since both Buttle and Sandhu made it in 2005. This is a huge opportunity for him, and no matter the result he's proven that he fits in with the best in the world.

This has to be one of the oldest groups in GPF history - at 26 Keegan is only the 3rd oldest (Brezina is 28, Voronov 31).

barbarafan

Hanyu has officially withdrawn from the GPF, so it looks like Keegan gets to go after all (pulling a Gogolev). Not ideal circumstances, by any means, but a great opportunity for him nonetheless.
Sad for Hanyu but a great opportunity for Messing for a do-over of his last GP which was not up to the quality he has been showing in the last year.
Not quite the same as Gogolev who was in challenge/national mode with a Senior program and had to dust off the junior program and go back to it.
Hopefully, knowing that Hanyu was injured so chances were he would withdraw, Keegan has been training his butt off just in case.

coppertop1

I hope Hanyu rests and gives himself time to recover. Definitely not the ideal circumstances but it's a good opportunity for Messing.

Skate Talker

Thanks for posting the information, Sylvia.

It seems like a good move for him. He's a very enjoyable skater to watch, but without a triple axel and at least one quad he won't get on the Canadian national team - and those two jumps seemed to be elusive for him.

This way he will get to compete internationally, and skating fans will get to see his very good presentation skills.
So I actually know exactly zero about Celestino's plans but hypothetically, if he is a dual citizen and competes at the nationals of one country of which he is a citizen, as long as he doesn't enter an international competition representing that country, would he not still be eligible to compete at the nationals of the 2nd country, and further if successfully challenge for the international team go on to compete for the 2nd country internationally even if he had won the national championshiip of the first country? Just curious.

mag

@Skate Talker I don’t think that would work, at least not all in the same season. In Edrian’s case, he would have been released by Skate Canada, so is no longer a member, to join the PHI Fed, of which now he is a member. As he is no longer a member of SC he would not be allowed to register in the qualifying competitions to make it through to SC Nationals.

Rock2

Has Keegan said anything about how the earthquake in Anchorage might have affected him, his training and/or his plans to attend GPF? I hope he's OK

Rock2

Just looked at the results from Skate Canada challenge. It wasn't that long ago that there were well over 30 guys competing. Now it's, what, 16?

I wonder how many guys move through to nationals. Dustin getting that last spot yet again? ;)
Or is it pretty much everybody....?

RoseRed

Just looked at the results from Skate Canada challenge. It wasn't that long ago that there were well over 30 guys competing. Now it's, what, 16?

I wonder how many guys move through to nationals. Dustin getting that last spot yet again? ;)
Or is it pretty much everybody....?
Last spot is Zoé Duval-Yergeau, since Nam has a bye.

Sylvia

TBD
There are 6 byes (Messing, Nguyen, Reynolds, Sadovsky, Nadeau, Gogolev) so top 12+Nguyen qualify for Nationals.

ETA 2nd to 13th at Challenge:
Bennet Toman - ON
Conrad Orzel - ON
Eric Liu - AB/NT/NU
Alexander Lawrence - BC/YK
Laurent Guay - QC
Matthew Markell - ON [J1 in 2018]
Joseph Phan - QC
Max Denk - ON [J8 in 2018]
Samuel Turcotte - QC [J12 in 2018]
Iliya Kovler - ON [J4 in 2018]
Dustin Sherriff-Clayton - AB/NT/NU
Zoé Duval-Yergeau - QC [J3 in 2018]

Brian Le [J5 in 2018] just missed the cut.

Last edited:

mackiecat

Someone else tweeted that the first person who called them was Keegan and he help her turn off the gas lines

After a 7.0 earthquake, my first call was from Keegan Messing!!! He blessed me, I was home alone with my daughter. He walked me through security precautions and made sure we checked for gas leaks. What an amazing man. His parents really got it right,I’m grateful. Thanks Keeg!❤️😩

mag

There are 6 byes (Messing, Nguyen, Reynolds, Sadovsky, Nadeau, Gogolev) so top 12+Nguyen qualify for Nationals.

ETA 2nd to 13th at Challenge:
Bennet Toman - ON
Conrad Orzel - ON
Eric Liu - AB/NT/NU
Alexander Lawrence - BC/YK
Laurent Guay - QC
Matthew Markell - ON [J1 in 2018]
Joseph Phan - QC
Max Denk - ON [J8 in 2018]
Samuel Turcotte - QC [J12 in 2018]
Iliya Kovler - ON [J4 in 2018]
Dustin Sherriff-Clayton - AB/NT/NU
Zoé Duval-Yergeau - QC [J3 in 2018]

Brian Le [J5 in 2018] just missed the cut.

I hope Kevin gives this some serious thought. Yes, he has earned his bye, but if he goes and withdraws after the short I will be annoyed.

Sylvia

TBD
Barkell works with Orser at the Cricket Club. Orser was with Gogolev at his most recent competition in Canada (Skate Ontario Sectionals). Orser being listed as a "Former Coach" is probably a mistake (eta that I'll look into it...).
ETA: Received confirmation this is NOT a mistake. I mis-remembered - Lee Barkell was with Gogolev at Sectionals in early November.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information