Canadian Men 2017-18 season news & updates

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
You are talking about apples and oranges....Stephen is very dedicated, hardworking and responsible. Nam loved the friends and attention but didn't like hard work and apparently his father encouraged him in his attitude. He was wasting everyone's time.

Also, Brian has said (e.g. in his autobiography) that he himself was difficult to work with when being coached as a teenager. He said in one interview "I wouldn’t want to deal with people like me as a student, because I was a bit of a brat". (http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-79-brian-orser/)
And Stephen is not the first teenager that Brian has coached. So it's not like Brian had absolutely no prior knowledge or experience of how to coach teenagers effectively, and had to rely on other people's advice to figure it out.

barbarafan

And you know this how? Kind of a sweeping statement, eh?

So.....what is the eh? all about? a sweeping statement that you are addressing a Canadian? To put in your useless information file as a note,I was born in Quebec and have lived in Mtl for my entire 67 years, have friends and family across the country and visit Toronto often and Edmonton not so often. I have mixed in many organizations my entire life and funnily enough I have never heard eh at the end of a phrase or sentence anywhere but American TV when they are portraying Canadians.

Besides several sources here who indicated same on this board. Nam gave an interview after he left TCC but before he moved to the states to train where he said everything he learned was from his father and he always followed whatever his father told him to do. He learned nothing from his Vancouver coach (Joanne Mcleod) nor the coaches at TCC- only his father.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Nam gave an interview after he left TCC but before he moved to the states to train where he said everything he learned was from his father and he always followed whatever his father told him to do. He learned nothing from his Vancouver coach (Joanne Mcleod) nor the coaches at TCC- only his father.

I don't think that's an entirely accurate characterization. Nam has talked about his father teaching him persistence and resilience, but not about teaching him skating. In Vancouver, at least, his dad had a reputation for being very hands-on and managing as much of Nam's career as he could, but he certainly wasn't down at the side of the rink telling Nam how to skate (unlike some of the other parents there at the time).

The statement from the Cricket Club when Nam left made some reference to "after careful consideration with Nam's parents", which seems to suggest his dad was still involved then. But Nam won multiple Canadian titles while at Vancouver and at the Cricket Club, so there's no way he didn't learn anything from those coaches.

barbarafan

I don't think that's an entirely accurate characterization. Nam has talked about his father teaching him persistence and resilience, but not about teaching him skating. In Vancouver, at least, his dad had a reputation for being very hands-on and managing as much of Nam's career as he could, but he certainly wasn't down at the side of the rink telling Nam how to skate (unlike some of the other parents there at the time).

The statement from the Cricket Club when Nam left made some reference to "after careful consideration with Nam's parents", which seems to suggest his dad was still involved then. But Nam won multiple Canadian titles while at Vancouver and at the Cricket Club, so there's no way he didn't learn anything from those coaches.

Exactly....I was really shocked to hear him come out and say that almost as if he was reading a script. He only stayed in the US for the skating yr I believe and since his return he is now on his 3rd coach here but I am seeing real improvement in his skating...so much more power and speed so maybe this coach is able to get through to him. Fingers crossed.

dramagrrl

So.....what is the eh? all about? a sweeping statement that you are addressing a Canadian? To put in your useless information file as a note,I was born in Quebec and have lived in Mtl for my entire 67 years, have friends and family across the country and visit Toronto often and Edmonton not so often. I have mixed in many organizations my entire life and funnily enough I have never heard eh at the end of a phrase or sentence anywhere but American TV when they are portraying Canadians..

:confused:

I was born in Winnipeg and have lived in Toronto for 3/4s of my life, and I say "eh" all the time (without even thinking about it) and hear Anglo Canadians from many provinces use the term often.

barbarafan

I was born in Winnipeg and have lived in Toronto for 3/4s of my life, and I say "eh" all the time (without even thinking about it) and hear Anglo Canadians from many provinces use the term often.

I have never visited Winnipeg. My sister and brother-in-law lived in Saskatoon but moved to Edmonton about 20yrs ago.He was raised in Churchill Falls and he and his family have never said eh in my hearing. Churchill Falls is pretty far north is it not?

barbarafan

That's completely unfair. Nam won everything fair and square all the way through to seniors. And he's still in the mix, and still has room to grow.
He is back in the mix again. He did well until he shot up in height and without the extra work including off ice work he was not able to keep or get back his jumps and his triple axel and spins regressed. With his latest coach everything is coming back and improving but the time in between was a mess.

Erin

Banned Member
So.....what is the eh? all about? a sweeping statement that you are addressing a Canadian? To put in your useless information file as a note,I was born in Quebec and have lived in Mtl for my entire 67 years, have friends and family across the country and visit Toronto often and Edmonton not so often. I have mixed in many organizations my entire life and funnily enough I have never heard eh at the end of a phrase or sentence anywhere but American TV when they are portraying Canadians.

You probably say it and don’t even realize it. My mom says it all the time but had no idea until I told her recently and doesn’t notice when other people around her say it either.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
He is back in the mix again. He did well until he shot up in height and without the extra work including off ice work he was not able to keep or get back his jumps and his triple axel and spins regressed.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that he wasn't doing extra work or off-ice work. He had a very dramatic increase in height, much more so than many skaters have, and that would have been very difficult to adjust to regardless of one's level of training. A lazy skater, no matter how talented, not putting in the work wouldn't have been able to stay competitive at the elite levels he was competing in. And no, he did not always have great international or national results, but he was qualifying for those competitions.

Keep in mind, too, that when he was tiny and being coached by Macleod, he was inevitably given "cutesy" programs. Growing past the point where those looked appropriate, and moving into competitive levels where being cute and tiny didn't fit what everyone else was doing, was probably also a very difficult artistic/stylistic adjustment. The same thing happened to Kevin Reynolds when he grew taller.

screech

I'm an Ontario 'eh'-er as well. What annoyed the heck out of me is when I lived in Alberta. Instead of 'eh' the Albertans (or at least Calgarians) said 'hey' at the end of a statement. Made me cringe every time I heard it. "Nice weather, hey?" instead of "Nice weather, eh?" Still grates.

WildRose

I live in Edmonton and I say eh all the time. I probably use it in my posts here too.

KatieC

Southern Ontarian here as well. I think I say eh, but only notice it in myself when I talk to an American. I like Stephan and Nam, and wish them both well.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Instead of 'eh' the Albertans (or at least Calgarians) said 'hey' at the end of a statement.
I can't remember the last time I heard "eh" in Vancouver or Victoria from residents, even among people not raised in BC, but I hear "hey" all the time.

You probably say it and don’t even realize it. My mom says it all the time but had no idea until I told her recently and doesn’t notice when other people around her say it either.

I had a friend go to Ireland to work with some youth at a camp. He brought a bag of a couple hundred of those Canada flag pins you get from the government. He told the kids if they caught him saying eh he’d give them a pin. They didn’t last long 😂. He had no idea that he said it that much.

fan

Nam's father would often coach from the side of the rink/behind the scenes. When Brian asked his father to stop coaching, he refused. Nam then left.

greenapple

Nam's father would often coach from the side of the rink/behind the scenes. When Brian asked his father to stop coaching, he refused. Nam then left.

Just to set the record straight - that is not how or why Nam left the Cricket Club. His father was never at rink-side coaching and Orser did not ask his father to do anything.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

Besides several sources here who indicated same on this board. Nam gave an interview after he left TCC but before he moved to the states to train where he said everything he learned was from his father and he always followed whatever his father told him to do. He learned nothing from his Vancouver coach (Joanne Mcleod) nor the coaches at TCC- only his father.

And to put in your perhaps-more-important information file as a note, not everything in response to a poster who happens to be Canadian has to do with their being Canadian, shocking as that may seem.

In my 62 years on this planet, living in the Southern US, I have read many times in print and heard many times in movies, on TV, and in conversations with USA-born-and-reared people, the usage of "eh" at the end of questions or statements. Those instances occurred long before I was made aware that the usage of that interjection in that grammatical fashion had anything to do at all with speech or writing patterns of certain Canadians. It would seem that your own experience might be a bit limited.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

I was talking about Nam when he was training in Vancouver. I have no idea what Nam's dad did or didn't do in Toronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information