Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

Zazy

To maximize the number of triples within the Zayak limitations.

Well yes but if 90% of the time she messes it up and it derails the rest of the program, it may not be worth it. I think she could still score very well with a clean loop-less FS. Certainly higher than her usual great start - fall on loop - come undone in the rest of the program.

skatingguy

decently
Well yes but if 90% of the time she messes it up and it derails the rest of the program, it may not be worth it. I think she could still score very well with a clean loop-less FS. Certainly higher than her usual great start - fall on loop - come undone in the rest of the program.
I don't think it's the loop that's the problem - she generally makes two mistakes (a pop or step out on one jump, and a fall on another) and it's only a matter of which jumps is she going to miss.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I think she needs to figure out why she falls pnIt in competition. She says she hits it in through
It has to be mental. And she needs to get it fixed
She is way to good to skate like this.

fsfann

I don't think it's the loop that's the problem - she generally makes two mistakes (a pop or step out on one jump, and a fall on another) and it's only a matter of which jumps is she going to miss.

The loop has always been a problem for her. I know she landed one beauty this season, but that's it I think.. last season would be about the same. She normally doubles it, or she falls/steps out. It's pretty rare that it's landed cleanly in competition.

skatingguy

decently
The loop has always been a problem for her. I know she landed one beauty this season, but that's it I think.. last season would be about the same. She normally doubles it, or she falls/steps out. It's pretty rare that it's landed cleanly in competition.
I think she'll almost always make a mistake on the fourth jumping pass - it just happens to be the loop in her jump layout - she could change the layout and I still think she'd miss the fourth jumping pass most of the time.

vesperholly

I'm wondering if the running threes in the same CW circle toward the boards are causing her to lean on the jump and fall. Maybe she needs a CCW step in there to make her square off more.

Rock2

I've always wondered why Kaetlyn doesn't just take out the loop, since the risk rarely pays off for her.
Still, I hope she finally lands it in Sochi, it looks beautiful in practise.

She's landed it several times. Ravi says it's one of her most consistent jumps in practice.
There's a risk in taking it out, too, in that you signal to yourself and the world you're a less complete skater than you thought. That can play on the mind.

If I tinkered with the program I'd swap the lutz the the loop in placement. Do it earlier when you're fresher and have less time to think about it. She has a spin and a rest before the loop and you can actually see in her face when the thoughts of the loop start creeping in -- esp since she doesn't have much to do on the ice -- and everyone starts to hold their breath. The anxiety is palpable.

Dr.Siouxs

I have to say....Osmond's LP is complete shit. Why would Buttle give her a program that requires her to "not smile"? Kaetlyn's appeal is her energy and vivaciousness, this program offers nothing in that regard. Furthermore, she really isn't balletic by any "stretch" ;)

Shame because her LP 4 years ago, set to "Egyptian elevator music medley", was a dud too.

She should just revive Tango and ham it up like no one else can, that's why we all fell in love with her :swoon:

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

I have to say....Osmond's LP is complete shit. Why would Buttle give her a program that requires her to "not smile"? Kaetlyn's appeal is her energy and vivaciousness, this program offers nothing in that regard. Furthermore, she really isn't balletic by any "stretch"

Shame because her LP 4 years ago, set to "Egyptian elevator music medley", was a dud too.

She should just revive Tango and ham it up like no one else can, that's why we all fell in love with her :swoon:

Umm...I am at a loss for words at your review, Siouxs. Kaetlyn is a skater's skater, who continues to show that she is more than one dimension. Yet, how dare she show ...versatility.

So, you think she should skate more robotically as so many do. Stepford wife anyone?

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

I understand the versatility aspect, but this is the least interesting long program she's shown us since "elevator Cleopatra". Even a return to her beautiful La Boheme would be welcome IMO.

You mean, the program that so many called out last season, until she skated it to the best of her ability at Worlds in Helsinki. Perhaps history is repeating itself.

Dr.Siouxs

I hope so! So, what happens to you if Kaetlyn doesn't win Olympic gold..disappear into thin air? :p

Osmond4gold

I hope so! So, what happens to you if Kaetlyn doesn't win Olympic gold..disappear into thin air? :p

As the current World and an Olympic Silver medalist, a 3 time Canadian Champion and the winner of 7 Grand Prix medals, not to mention one of the best comeback skaters in the sport, proud here regardless. ;)

Re Gold, I have been Osmond4gold since 2013 on different skating sites, and not just in an Olympic year. As you know, a single event does not a skater make. It has definitely been a wonderful ride and I expect more to come, I have no doubt.

Last edited:

Rock2

I agree that KO hasn't shown us a long program that really taps into an authentic part of who she is to deliver something to separate her from the pack. She's done it in the short in 2013 along with the current one especially, but not as much for the long.

In many respects she can skate to anything but I agree she hasn't shown us a '10' long program yet. I don't think she has enough of an edge for Black Swan and certain types of latin music. And yes, Cleopatra was a dud for sure. Almost a complete knock off of Phaneuf in 2010. La Boheme was stately but not really all that memorable.

My understanding is Jeff didn't give her Swan. She lobbied for the music against Ravi's advice. He gave in and they called Jeff in to do the choreo. Just doing his job.

Katta

Perhaps, then, we should say that Canada is lucky to have Alaine. My very best thoughts for Alaine right now. She has had a tough season, and it is hard to see someone come so close and miss out on an Olympic dream. My best hopes for her in the future!

My heart breaks for Alaine. I cannot imagine the amount of pressure she was under this season (I know all skaters were under an incredible amount of pressure). I spoke with Alaine's grandmother at Skate Canada, and she told me that "she better pull it together" "she knows what she has to do" and that "they already had their air and event tickets for the Olympics"....... I've been thinking about that conversation a lot since Nationals........

vesperholly

You mean, the program that so many called out last season, until she skated it to the best of her ability at Worlds in Helsinki. Perhaps history is repeating itself.
I loved La Boheme for Kaetlyn :drama:

I spoke with Alaine's grandmother at Skate Canada, and she told me that "she better pull it together" "she knows what she has to do" and that "they already had their air and event tickets for the Olympics"....... I've been thinking about that conversation a lot since Nationals........
:fragile:

Rock2

My heart breaks for Alaine. I cannot imagine the amount of pressure she was under this season

My heart breaks for her, too. To a point. I'm a big fan of accountability.

As much as I don't want to kick someone when they are down, there is just the cold hard fact that she didn't deliver in a scenario where she didn't need to do that much. Needed 170 to make the team and in the nationals this cycle her scoring range was 182-202.

I would have thought it would be more pressure for her with 2 spots, going into a short program knowing that her best result at nationals wouldn't get her anywhere close to the team. I think knowing you need to be 100% spectacular and clean would be harder to rise up to than knowing you just need to do 75% of what you do everyday in practice. If that.

She is definitely talented, but technically and mentally she's regressing. She needs to walk away from the sport, reset expectations or come up with a plan to take her skating to a new level. I vote for door #3. Alaine, your move.

Rock2

I dont know what all the fuss is KO makes the best Swan/Black Swan.... way more than Zag. Or Sotskova.

I think KO is exquisite in the role.

It is very very good.
But when we consider a path for her to hit the podium in KOR KO will need too many mistakes from her competitors to get there. Because...unless she skates the begeezus out of it like she has yet to do (from both a technical and energy/performance standpoint) it's not going to be the program everyone's talking about when the dust settles. And it needs/needed to be that for her to get the result she deserves.

It's just the state of the ladies landscape going into KOR.

Last edited:

Rafter

My heart breaks for Alaine. I cannot imagine the amount of pressure she was under this season (I know all skaters were under an incredible amount of pressure). I spoke with Alaine's grandmother at Skate Canada, and she told me that "she better pull it together" "she knows what she has to do" and that "they already had their air and event tickets for the Olympics"....... I've been thinking about that conversation a lot since Nationals........

OMG wow. Insanity.

I heard her dad is very intense. Way too involved in her career. I wonder if this is part of the problem. Also is she not spending time anymore at the Cricket Club with Orser?

honey

It is very very good.
But when we consider a path for her to hit the podium in KOR KO will need too many mistakes from her competitors to get there. Because...unless she skates the begeezus out of it like she has yet to do (from both a technical and energy/performance standpoint) it's not going to the program everyone's talking about when the dust settles. And it needs/needed to be that for her to get the result she deserves.

It's just the state of the ladies landscape going into KOR.

Sorry, but it’s not like she’d be saved by any program, no matter how strong choreographically, if she can’t land her jumps. The technical ability and consistency of the field are too strong for her to be held up on the second mark no matter what the program is. Combine that PCS are tied to TES+consistency, and you have an issue for someone like Kaetlyn who never skates cleanly.

Personally, I love her lp and think it is the strongest from a choreographic perspective of anyone in the top echelon, except maybe Kostner. The fact is though, that she has yet to skate it even semi-cleanly since Autumn Classic. The program itself is not the problem here wrt results. The problem is the jumps that are not being landed.

As for Alaine, those quotes attributed to her grandmother are unfortunate and maybe explain a thing or two...

@Rafter no, I don’t believe she’s spending time with Orser/ at the cricket this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information