Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

barbarafan

How much ballet training has Kaetlyn had?
Just wondering if anyone knows.

I wanted to ask but was afraid to..I have often been turned off by ballet programs because it is so hard to bring the look to the ice. The closest I have seen is Marie-france Dubrieul on "Battle of the Blades".One of the things I cringe at is the neck&head extension. I really want Kaitlyn to prove me wrong.

binbinwinwin

Designer Nick Verreos has pointed that out several times with numerous skating costumes. I noticed that with a lot of figure skating costume, the designer get's the nude mesh shade wrong.

Costume makers try their best but when your off season is summer and during the rest of the year you're inside a rink, most skaters' skin tones tend to become lighter and lighter as the season goes on. Just a couple of shades can make all the difference, it's like if someone is wearing mismatched foundation. For the costume maker I know, she goes 2 shades lighter than their summer skin tone so sometimes they are even mismatched at beginning.

How much ballet training has Kaetlyn had?
Just wondering if anyone knows.

Not exactly sure how long but she's definitely been taking them recently according to this tweet: https://twitter.com/kaetlyn_23/status/882611579585417218

Erin

Banned Member
Duhamel and/or Seguin? Hahaha, has anyone even been remotely rumour-ing that either of them would take such a gigantic risk? :lol: Or is there another pairs girl way down the list that has singles credentials that I'm forgetting about?

I remember when watching practices at the 2012 4CC, where Amelie Lacoste and Cynthia Phaneuf were skating off for the one spot at worlds, my opinion was that it should go to Meagan Duhamel :p who was outskating both of them in the practices, landing five different triple jumps consistently and double axel-triple toe combinations. I wasn't entirely kidding either. That said, I think we have come a long way from those days and don't think we need to stoop to that anymore. I'm happy for Meagan and Julianne to both focus on pairs as there is a lot more at stake for them there.

I'm really pulling for Alaine to get the spot. It's been there in her grasp for the past four years and seeing her get nipped at the last year would be sad. I also would like to see her and Gabby get to go together, given that they appear to be very close. That said, if someone else skates for it and grabs it at Canadians, I won't begrudge them the spot either. What I really want is for Alaine to earn it.

Catherine M

I remember when watching practices at the 2012 4CC, where Amelie Lacoste and Cynthia Phaneuf were skating off for the one spot at worlds, my opinion was that it should go to Meagan Duhamel :p who was outskating both of them in the practices, landing five different triple jumps consistently and double axel-triple toe combinations. I wasn't entirely kidding either. That said, I think we have come a long way from those days and don't think we need to stoop to that anymore. I'm happy for Meagan and Julianne to both focus on pairs as there is a lot more at stake for them there.

We even picked out Meagan's music and what she should wear for her skates in singles at 2012 Worlds! That was indeed one of the lower points in Canadian ladies skating in recent years.

Good luck to all the girls fighting for those min scores this fall and for a chance to get on that olympic team as the 3rd lady. Ice is slippery so you never know, a favorite like Alaine might struggle and someone might have a Paul Wylie moment and skate themselves onto the team.

screech

Costume makers try their best but when your off season is summer and during the rest of the year you're inside a rink, most skaters' skin tones tend to become lighter and lighter as the season goes on. Just a couple of shades can make all the difference, it's like if someone is wearing mismatched foundation. For the costume maker I know, she goes 2 shades lighter than their summer skin tone so sometimes they are even mismatched at beginning.
Often times the material used is too thick as well. Or has noticeable seams. One of my biggest skating costume pet peeves.

honey

I've noticed a couple of times now this summer that Alaine has posted on social media about going to Colorado Springs. Anyone know who she's working with there?

coppertop1

Has there ever been a more exciting time for our ladies then now? Three spots available and a strong field of Canadian women. Think back 20 years ago, we failed to qualify a woman for Nagano and since then we've rebuilt from the ground up.
Really, come nationals, there will be two battles: One for the title between Kaetlyn and Gabrielle. Barring disasters, they're going. They're the world silver and bronze medaliists. They are also the most experienced and consistent. Then, the battle for bronze and the third spot. That will be between Chartrand, Mallet, Austman and maybe Tamura. Chartrand is the early favourite. She's a former Canadian Champion and she's been to the worlds. She also has had solid results. If Mallet is healthy and can lay down solid performances she could challenge. We will see what Austman and Tamura have to offer, as well. It will be interesting!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I love Austman but Chartrand normally lands 5 triple jumps more than Austman in each FS. I am not sure how that is a close fight...

Reactions: mag

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I think it is Chartrands to lose, she really has much more on the technical side on a consistent basis, I remember that one short program where she was in first beating the Russian favourites.

barbarafan

I think it is Chartrands to lose, she really has much more on the technical side on a consistent basis, I remember that one short program where she was in first beating the Russian favourites.

I agree. I think her worst problem is that she is running from coach to coach all the time and getting nowhere. Her spins have regressed to the point they are painful to watch and her jumps are inconsistant..I don't know what schedule she has given herself for this skating year but she definitely needs to make big changes from what she has been doing.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I agree. I think her worst problem is that she is running from coach to coach all the time and getting nowhere. Her spins have regressed to the point they are painful to watch and her jumps are inconsistant..I don't know what schedule she has given herself for this skating year but she definitely needs to make big changes from what she has been doing.
Agreed I don't think it is helpful to keep changing your technique. She doesn't have the solid basis of the other skaters likely from moving about when young.. but what a natural athlete an jumper she is, a good choreographer could cover up her weaknesses

barbarafan

Agreed I don't think it is helpful to keep changing your technique. She doesn't have the solid basis of the other skaters likely from moving about when young.. but what a natural athlete an jumper she is, a good choreographer could cover up her weaknesses

the point is...other athletes work so hard at same technique so they have muscle memory to take over with the nerves in competition...When she goes to a competition if she lets her muscle memory take over it can pick from 4 diff.techniques used that week. She prob.has wonderful practices but needs to learn how to compete.

coppertop1

Awesome!! She's our shining star! She has a gorgeous 3F/3T combination. Her 3lz/3T looks great! I wonder if Gabrielle will upgrade her combo. She used to do the 3lz-3T.

Good point about Alaine, and she tends to two foot her jumps and underrotate when nervous. So, who could be the spoiler and take it from Alaine?

I'm already excited for the Ladies at Canadians and the season hasn't even started!

screech

Awesome!! She's our shining star! She has a gorgeous 3F/3T combination. Her 3lz/3T looks great! I wonder if Gabrielle will upgrade her combo. She used to do the 3lz-3T.
IIRC after worlds Gabby said she doesn't really plan to. She tends to get almost all +3 for GOE for her 3T/3T which makes her pretty much almost on par with the overall points the others are getting for their combos.

pointbleu

I'm just thrilled/(shocked) that she landed such a beautiful loop! That's usually the one she falters on!

Elite skaters are usually consistent in practice. Of course they like some jumps more than others. It is not because her loop is her least favorite that she cannot do beauties! When the nerves kick in, it might be another story, but they are quite consistent in practice!

Rock2

Elite skaters are usually consistent in practice. Of course they like some jumps more than others. It is not because her loop is her least favorite that she cannot do beauties! When the nerves kick in, it might be another story, but they are quite consistent in practice!

KO only landed one 3F/3T in competition in her life until last season when she reeled off something like 13 in a row. I'm expecting this to be the year of the loop for her. Maybe not that kind of competition consistency but I fully expect her to hit it fairly regularly this summer/fall.

Rock2

I love Austman but Chartrand normally lands 5 triple jumps more than Austman in each FS. I am not sure how that is a close fight...

Austman's skating is trending up, Chartrand's is flat to down. Her inability to get decent GOE on jumps is a huge issue.

I'm not ready to call Austman yet for the 3rd spot by any stretch but if her head is ready to go for it we may see a change in the "it's Chartrand's to lose" narrative as early as October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information