Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

coppertop1

I don't think we can count anyone out. We know Kaetlyn and Gabrielle are guaranteed a spot barring a disastrous season and a disaster at nationals. The main battle will be for the third spot.

Gabrielle will be skating to music from the Gladiator.

mag

Austman's skating is trending up, Chartrand's is flat to down. Her inability to get decent GOE on jumps is a huge issue.

I'm not ready to call Austman yet for the 3rd spot by any stretch but if her head is ready to go for it we may see a change in the "it's Chartrand's to lose" narrative as early as October.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens this summer and early fall, but Austman is going to have to have a major improvement from her last competitive LP where she landed only 4 clean triples and no triple triple. I would love to see both Austman, Tamura, and Chartrand skate really clean programs at Nationals and then let the chips fall where they may. I just don't want that third post to be either a race to the bottom or go to someone who plays it really safe.

Rock2

I think it will be interesting to see what happens this summer and early fall, but Austman is going to have to have a major improvement from her last competitive LP where she landed only 4 clean triples and no triple triple.

Agreed. Luckily she's going up against Chartrand's last international LP which also featured 4 clean triples, two of which were in a clean 3/3. And her comp before that was nationals which featured 0 clean triples.

Suddenly, the gap doesn't feel all that wide although Larkyn has a lot to prove.

Rock2

I hope I end up liking KOs programs this year. I see why Summertime would be picked for her...and while I'm sure she'll give Swan Lake a good go, I wouldn't have chosen this for her. She's not as balletic as Baiul or as fierce as Wagner to make this music iconic for her.

I'll keep an open mind and wait to see the whole thing in competition

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Kim Decelles posted on instgram that she will not be able to skate at Minto this week-end due to a minor right hip injury.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW8fVItAgSN/?taken-by=kdecelles

I wonder if that's why she registered for Thornhill.

Anyway I wish her a speedy recovery. She's definitely one of the contenders for the Skate Canada host pick. I hope this injury won't stop her from getting a chance for an international assignment.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Tamura isn't listed as a substitute for the first JGP, but that doesn't mean anything. Considering you need a senior international for tech minimums for Olympics/4CC, I think it's likely we'll see her getting senior international assignments this season.

nadioso

Tamura isn't listed as a substitute for the first JGP, but that doesn't mean anything. Considering you need a senior international for tech minimums for Olympics/4CC, I think it's likely we'll see her getting senior international assignments this season.

As well with only 5 JGP spots, it is a better idea to send those competing senior domestically ( who already have a junior international score and are old enough to compete seniors internationally) to senior B's.

As it is right now , most of the next gen skaters won't even get a JGP this year.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Another small clip of Kaetlyn's long program.

https://instagram.com/p/BW-lcDtBL8N/

I love the transition out of that combo.And great timing with the music on the landing of the toe and again on the hop. Can't wait to see the whole thing!

GOOD GOD! Her jumps are GLORIOUS! And she's fast! I need her on the Oly podium. Pronto!!!!!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Could Long be a potential dark horse for the third spot?

I wouldn't go that far, but I think she has a good chance of getting to go to Four Continents, assuming the Olympic team doesn't go. She has the tech minimums already. I'm curious to see what jumps she goes for in the free skate tomorrow.

Rock2

Could Long be a potential dark horse for the third spot?

Well, if I get caught up in semantics, I might say a dark horse is a CAN lady ranked 4-6. So a "potential" horse would be lower than that. If you look at it that way, sure, she has the potential to be a dark horse....but not holding my breath :)

Rock2

I managed to use quick time on my Mac to record the stream from Minto.

Here is a video of Alaine Chartrand's new short.

https://youtu.be/k3Bo0Al8rxQ

It's a good music cut. Very "Olympics"
Maybe it's the camera angle, but lutz looked monstrous.

On the down side, I wouldn't match Alaine up with a latin rhythm like this. The sensuality and/or tension and/or fire required to pull it off convincingly is not her forte. Having said that, she could score decent with it.

We'll talk about the hair colour when she's in front of international judges and it matters more :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information