Canadian Ladies 2017-18 season news & updates

DreamSkates

Wow Daleman is leading after the short at Cup of China, which I did not expect based on the field and on her showing at Finlandia. But she really sold her Carmen program IMO and wow her second triple toe is higher than the first! I'll post a video when I find one (if someone else doesn't before then). I was so impressed with her composure skating last after so many contenders had skated well.

ETA: youtube uploaders are fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFyS0FasVp8
She looked so good in the SP! Now to get the LP up to speed!

million$momma

Daleman should try a different version of her current music. Gladiator is fine, she just needs something with a little more life/power/umph!

aftershocks

Banned Member
Daleman can put more "conviction" in.to her movements and land the jumps and she'll be fine.

Yeah sure, maybe. Gabby might 'be fine' if she goes clean and the judges reward her the way they did in the sp by placing her in first over Wakaba. I think that CoC shows how some of these other ladies like Wakaba and Mihara will have a lot to say about the ladies standings if they both make it to the Olympics. Plus, both of their programs are beautifully choreographed, with impactful music, and they are adept and comfortable with their programs and their technique. Of course, there's always the proviso that ice is slippery and anything can happen. Not the least being the persnickety factor of the judges and tech panel. The dicey thing, as usual, is the judges' politically-motivated or rep-motivated manipulation of the scores, especially PCS scores.

It's nice for Gabby to try and stick with her current programs. She can get by with the sp. The fp not so much, because she still doesn't seem very comfortable with it, although it looks improved from her last outing. Still, good music selection that matches and enhances a skater's style and capabilities has proven over and over again to be more than half the battle in crafting successful programs.

Tinami Amori

It's nice for Gabby to try and stick with her current programs. She can get by with the sp. The fp not so much, because she still doesn't seem very comfortable with it, although it looks improved from her last outing. Still, good music selection that matches and enhances a skater's style and capabilities has proven over and over again to be more than half the battle in crafting successful programs.
Of course it is all "theoretical", but if i got my hands on Daleman to fix easy things, i would:
- change some of her moves to more dramatic, more relevant to "gladiator fight" and make her watch "Spartacus".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU8_bZpqIjY

- get rid of her Louis XIV sitting room upholstery dress, and replace it with solid darker color design which slims her waistline and elongates her body.

Make the design either modern and interesting:
http://68.media.tumblr.com/5dbeb87097350ba3ef7ef80c22392710/tumblr_oj4j9j2pMJ1qldetwo1_500.jpg

Or, do something interesting with a "chainmail look"...
http://i81.servimg.com/u/f81/14/31/18/34/elvenf10.jpg
http://coolspotters.com/files/photo...-rtw-silver-lame-dress-profile.jpg?1357417116
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/a8/4f/c0a84f6e65597a23d21982650782de6e.jpg

... because gladiators wore chainmail covers.... https://www.yourprops.com/movieprop...le-of-Carthage-chainmail-belt-and-tunic-1.jpg ... and not the "Praetorian guard" bodices, which she is unsuccessfully trying to imitate in the current dress, which makes her look bigger than she is.

... The guys who stand in Rome in front of Colosseum are not wearing real costumes :D .... http://s3.amazonaws.com/estock/fspid4/222400/italy-rome-gladiator-222495-o.jpg

..... and it would help if she did something with her hair to make it "warrior princess".
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/30/article-0-0B662B8A00000578-907_468x707.jpg

cut it: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e6/49/4d/e6494d6990adb278569b12e53e3db3b3.jpg
or pull up in top-bun....http://www.stylesvilla.com/images/1428943962_easy-quick-hairstyles-of-2015.jpg

Marco

Gabby's short is fine. I liked it even.

It's the free that is the problem. Time to step up the inspiration in the second half or return to Gershwin.

The concern is if Alaine cannot control nerves at a GP SC event, how will she fare at Olys? Maybe this was just a "one of" or something

I don't think there is anyone better than her though, in terms of scoring potential and experience. This third spot is not going to the team event in any case and isn't going to be an individual medal contender so it doesn't matter who it is to the Fed. Alaine being 50% is still better than most other Canadian ladies below her at 100%. It would have to be a pretty disastrous Nationals for Alaine to not be named.

Rafter

Lori Nichol gave Gabby Daleman a real dud of a long program. It needs to be ditched ASAP. She is not a skater who should be skating to tinkly piano music. Add to that the unflattering costume that chops her up (IMO she should be in all one colour, just like Duhamel should be in the LP) and real GOTH like makeup it's just a mess.

One thing I just remembered about Chartrand at SC, before both programs while she is waiting for the previous skater's marks to be announced, she is skating around the ice and then doing a 3lutz. Which she fell on right before her name was announced before the SP and I think stepped out of before the LP. Why does she do this? Bad strategy/coaching IMO.

chewy

Music is a snooze. I have no idea that it is from Gladiator so it's not instantly well known like her Carmen is. Tinkly piano with some voice over at the end, it is a generic skating program. Damn, she could have so much better!!

The dress has to go. The red band across the bust chops it up. That is the most glaring problem. Costume was "improved" between Finlandia and China by adding sparkly around the mesh neck and the skirt being changed and longer in the back. I can't be polite about the Wonder Woman gauntlets. Fantastic nails.

The program did not change at all between Finlandia and China other than a split jump and a minor change in footwork which improved her step to a level 3 this time. There's still a dead section to fill in to the halfway mark. I ran them side by side. Finlandia scored 114.11 and China scored 126.18. I like Gabby and she should be on the podium.

The KnC after China was fun. Gabby says behind her great smile to Barkell "What the hell?" and he says, "we'll see". That's chatty for him. She skated the program better and her PCS is podium but then the other skaters had better TES. She needs another combo in the back half.

RoseRed

On a different subject, who do people think will be the junior worlds pick? Of course nationals will be the most important factor, but it's interesting to think about now. I'd think that it's likely between Aurora Cotop and Alison Schumacher. I believe Aurora is competing as a senior nationally, while Alison is competing as a junior, so we won't get a direct comparison. Alison placed 9th (144.61, Riga) and 8th (148.76, Italy) on the JGP and Aurora placed 7th (140.14, Brisbane) and 9th (133.64, Poland). Aurora won the Sr Women at the Ontario Sectionals lat weekend with 143.55, and Alison won the Jr Women with 145.88. I believe that was Aurora's first time doing her senior programs. At least, she did junior this summer. I think Alison has maybe been a bit stronger this year, but they haven't directly competed against each other.

barbarafan

On a different subject, who do people think will be the junior worlds pick? Of course nationals will be the most important factor, but it's interesting to think about now. I'd think that it's likely between Aurora Cotop and Alison Schumacher. I believe Aurora is competing as a senior nationally, while Alison is competing as a junior, so we won't get a direct comparison. Alison placed 9th (144.61, Riga) and 8th (148.76, Italy) on the JGP and Aurora placed 7th (140.14, Brisbane) and 9th (133.64, Poland). Aurora won the Sr Women at the Ontario Sectionals lat weekend with 143.55, and Alison won the Jr Women with 145.88. I believe that was Aurora's first time doing her senior programs. At least, she did junior this summer. I think Alison has maybe been a bit stronger this year, but they haven't directly competed against each other.

Alicia Pennault scored 160.68 and Emy Decelles scored 160.58 on the weekend

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'm pretty sure Decelles aged out of junior and she doesn't have a valid jr TES minimum anyway. Pineault is still jr eligible and has TES minimums from last season.

Skating her senior program, Cotop did not do a lutz in the short at sectionals. Schumacher has done the lutz successfully in the short a few times so I wonder if that could be a factor.

Another contender is Hannah Dawson who won the Golden Bear international recently.

Sylvia

TBD
Alicia Pineault is still ISU Junior age-eligible and has the Jr. minimums (20/35) but Emy Decelles has aged out.

Age-eligible for Jr. Worlds and have both minimums:
Emily BAUSBACK CAN ISU JGP Croatia Cup 2017 28.09.2017 27.34 J ISU JGP Yokohama 2016 11.09.2016 48.58 J
Emma BULAWKA CAN Autumn Classic International 2017 20.09.2017 22.49 J Autumn Classic International 2017 20.09.2017 42.55 J
McKenna COLTHORP CAN Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 27.84 J Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 42.50 J
Aurora COTOP CAN Bavarian Open 2017 15.02.2017 30.51 J ISU JGP Brisbane 2017 26.08.2017 48.93 J
Hannah DAWSON CAN Golden Bear 2017 25.10.2017 31.53 J Golden Bear 2017 25.10.2017 48.03 J
Olivia GRAN CAN Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 25.73 J Challenge Cup 2017 23.02.2017 54.79 J
Lissa Anne MCGAGHEY CAN Golden Bear 2017 25.10.2017 26.06 J Golden Bear 2017 25.10.2017 43.59 J
Alicia PINEAULT CAN Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 26.29 J ISU JGP Czech Skate 2016 03.09.2016 39.21 J
Alison SCHUMACHER CAN ISU JGP Riga Cup 2017 07.09.2017 31.18 J ISU JGP Egna Neumarkt 2017 14.10.2017 51.49 J
Sarah TAMURA CAN Bavarian Open 2017 15.02.2017 31.55 J Bavarian Open 2017 16.02.2017 56.04 J
Amanda TOBIN CAN Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 26.02 J Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 38.02 J

Short on the FS minimum:
Megan YIM CAN Challenge Cup 2017 23.02.2017 24.01 J Challenge Cup 2017 23.02.2017 33.50 J

Sylvia

TBD
I think its the version of the music that is the real dud. Gladiator sounded like a dream program for her at first and then this program showed up.
The piano cover is played by Lang Lang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghZRT3nTaxk
(Tom Dickson choreographed Paige Rydberg's FS which also includes this music.)

I wish Daleman was skating to the original Gladiator film soundtrack.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
The piano cover is played by Lang Lang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghZRT3nTaxk

And not sure Id want a Lori Nicol-choreographed Gladiator program. (She's outta this world for Michelle, Carolina, etc)

This is a job that calls for Sarah Kawahara!!!!!!!

FSfan107

Agreed. I love that music but not this piano version. I actually love her dress and make-up for the long though. She definitely needs to project more in this program. I think she sells her Carmen short well.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I wonder if choreographers choose piano music partly because it's sound-system proof, including volume.

coppertop1

When I saw that Gabby was skating to Gladiator, I thought it would be the soundtrack and t would be a perfect fit. I don't understand why Nichol chose that version. I know that she prerfers classical music and the ice princess look but that does fit everyone

mag

McKenna COLTHORP CAN Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 27.84 J Autumn Classic International 2016 29.09.2016 42.50 J

I am fairly sure McKenna has quit. There has been a rumour for quite some time and she is not listed in the start orders for the BC/YT Sections which start the day after tomorrow.

Winnipeg

Maybe the Gladiator music version was selected to convey a "female gladiator?" Not saying I agree, just surmising

Foolhardy Ham Lint

When I saw that Gabby was skating to Gladiator, I thought it would be the soundtrack and t would be a perfect fit. I don't understand why Nichol chose that version. I know that she prerfers classical music and the ice princess look but that does fit everyone

The cuts Alexei Yagudin used back in the day, would really highlight Daleman's strength, power and attitude.

A shame she is skating to a tinkly winkly version which really dilutes the above qualities.

Rock2

Honestly, I think Gabby's LP is great compared to her short . . . which is an extremely low bar. That version of Carmen is horrific. I can't imagine what they were thinking!

God bless.
Gabby's look is great for Carmen but it ends there.

The short is the best it'll ever get IMHO.
The long can be salvaged as it has room to grow.

I think it's all moot though. She wasn't able to train as much as planned this past summer which means no TES development. Many more girls will be ready to rock this year which will leave a repeat podium appearance quite unlikely. KO is our horse in the game of politicking for spots up top. Gabby can help us best by being ready for worlds to possibly qualify 3 again. Hopefully she uses that time well.

chewy

Oh Lord somebody please, make it stop.
(Just watched ladies SP at NHK)

I'm not joking. Someone at JSF, call SC and negotiate a trade - our 3rd ladies spot for their 3rd men's spot.
Stat.

I read protocols and read the pbp before I watched ladies, and it wasn't a wretched program as much as I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information