Canadian Ice Dance 2017/18 Season News & Updates

nimi

Listening to the new PJ Kwong podcast with Piper&Paul now.

In short: After the meh results they got with the Mason FD they thought that maybe they just needed to repackage the program and elements with more powerful music and more obvious/accessible characters. The decision to switch to Bond was made during their drive home from SkAm. Upon their arrival, they quickly went through the older Bond soundtracks and settled on Octopussy & Thunderball. In 2 days or so, they had the rough cut of the music made and started tinkering with the choreo. (Carol was away that week but gave her stamp of approval the next week.)

Dobre

So . . . is it safe to assume the Junior World team will be Lajoie & Lagha and McIsaac & Graham? How do people feel about Canada's chances for winning back three spots at Junior Worlds?

For what it's worth--which isn't a lot considering the volatility of the junior dance field this season & the newness of McIsaac & Graham as a partnership this fall--here are the top ISU junior dance SB scores, excluding the Russian teams below #3 and the U.S. teams below #3 and the Canadian teams that did not finish top 2 at Nationals.

153.61 RUS Skoptcova & Aleshin
151.76 USA Carreira & Ponomarenko
150.30 CAN Lajoie & Lagha
149.04 RUS Polischuk & Vakhnov
149.01 RUS Ushakova & Nekrasov
136.06 UKR Popova & Byelikov (This is a senior score. They finished a hair behind M&G at their JGP event this season)
131.23 USA Green & Green
130.48 USA Lewis & Bye
129.90 FRA Lagouge & Rahier
123.83 ITA Calderone & Papetti
122.40 CAN McIsaac & Graham

-Lajoie & Lagha finished 6th at the JGPF, but at least two of the teams ahead of them there won't be at Worlds due to the 3 team limit for Russia.

-I have my doubts that the three Russian teams listed above will actually comprise the Russian team at Junior Worlds. We'll have to see what happens at Russian Junior Nationals (Shpilevaya & Smirnov will be back). Whoever Russia sends will be competitive.

-McIsaac & Graham had one JGP at the Baltic Cup this season, which was really quite a volatile event. M&G finished 4th overall, 5th in the SD, and 6th in the SD. They finished behind Kalehanova & Palkhouski of Belarus in the free and Popova & Byelikov of UKR in the short so those teams should at least be considered as relevant competition.

-I don't remember, but I assume M&G must have missed the twizzles during the free at the Baltic Cup. Popova & Byelikov had mistakes as well.

-Calderone & Papetti skated at home.

Last edited:

barbarafan

So . . . is it safe to assume the Junior World team will be Lajoie & Lagha and McIsaac & Graham? How do people feel about Canada's chances for winning back three spots at Junior Worlds?

For what it's worth--which isn't a lot considering the volatility of the junior dance field this season & the newness of McIsaac & Graham as a partnership this fall--here are the top ISU junior dance SB scores, excluding the Russian teams below #3 and the U.S. teams below #3 and the Canadian teams that did not finish top 2 at Nationals.

153.61 RUS Skoptcova & Aleshin
151.76 USA Carreira & Ponomarenko
150.30 CAN Lajoie & Lagha
149.04 RUS Polischuk & Vakhnov
149.01 Ushakova & Nekrasov
136.06 Popova & Byelikov (This is a senior score. They finished a hair behind M&G at their JGP event this season)
131.23 Green & Green
130.48 Lewis & Bye
129.90 Lagouge & Rahier
123.83 Calderone & Papetti
122.40 McIsaac & Graham

-Lajoie & Lagha finished 6th at the JGPF, but at least two of the teams ahead of them there won't be at Worlds due to the 3 team limit for Russia.

-I have my doubts that the three Russian teams listed above will actually comprise the Russian team at Junior Worlds. We'll have to see what happens at Russian Junior Nationals (Shpilevaya & Smirnov will be back). Whoever Russia sends will be competitive.

-McIsaac & Graham had one JGP at the Baltic Cup this season, which was really quite a volatile event. M&G finished 4th overall, 5th in the SD, and 6th in the SD. They finished behind Kalehanova & Palkhouski of Belarus in the free and Popova & Byelikov of UKR in the short so those teams should at least be considered as relevant competition.

-I don't remember, but I assume M&B must have missed the twizzles during the free at the Baltic Cup. Popova & Byelikov had mistakes as well.

-Calderone & Papetti skated at home.

Then of course there is Body of Work

Alicia Fabbri/Claudio Pietrantonio..Their total score at JGP Egna Neumarkt 2017 total 136.01

They were absolutely creamed in the short dance on the slight balance check of Pietrantonio on the twizzles. Even Ted said it was not serious ..just a slight deduction. Right....

I am not sure myself who should go....McIsaac & Graham or F/P McIsaac is beautiful..light and airy -brings to mind Vanessa Crone. and I love this team but I cannot tolerate judges and officials killing dreams unfairly...F/P will now not even be on the National Team this year and will get no assignments. I am afraid they might quit...I so hope I am wrong on this though. I love our international judges...I always check on their marking but some of our domestic judges and officials are crap.Some are still using the 6.00 system for PCS.

bluebonnets

can you hear me now?
Aren't Fabbri & Pietrantonio aging out of juniors after this season? What is the likelihood that they'll continue as a team?

Dobre

If body of work counts, then Stairs & Royer might go. Placements for the dance teams below Lajoie & Lagha have been fairly tangled for two seasons; but S&R have the higher finish from SC Challenge, Junior Worlds experience from last year, and a higher ISU SB than M&G.

Stairs & Royer 126.97

I'm not sure that supersedes McIsaac & Graham, who had the same final placement at their one JGP. I don't know if I remember clearly, but I think both teams won an event on the Canadian Summer Series. It was pretty clear that the fall in the SD cost S&R second; but M&G have been high enough to be in the mix so second at Nationals might be enough for them.

I was sad about Fabbri & Pietrantonio. It is the second season in a row that they have had one of the top Canadian scores on the JGP and finished relatively low behind their peers at Canadian Nationals. They are a bit catastrophic, but I like them. Their style is different--sharper with more snap than many of the Canadian junior teams.

barbarafan

If body of work counts, then Stairs & Royer might go. Placements for the dance teams below Lajoie & Lagha have been fairly tangled for two seasons; but S&R have the higher finish from SC Challenge, Junior Worlds experience from last year, and a higher ISU SB than M&G.

Stairs & Royer 126.97

I'm not sure that supersedes McIsaac & Graham, who had the same final placement at their one JGP. I don't know if I remember clearly, but I think both teams won an event on the Canadian Summer Series. It was pretty clear that the fall in the SD cost S&R second; but M&G have been high enough to be in the mix so second at Nationals might be enough for them.

I was sad about Fabbri & Pietrantonio. It is the second season in a row that they have had one of the top Canadian scores on the JGP and finished relatively low behind their peers at Canadian Nationals. They are a bit catastrophic, but I like them. Their style is different--sharper with more snap than many of the Canadian junior teams.

They are an incredible team...The marking should be fair and que sera sera. It makes me sick...Especially ice dancing. Although they play in the other disciplines as well. Someone has too much power there..In junior mens.. Bruce Waddell -the ice dancer after having Ted point out his amazing skating skills before the marks came up got skating skills in the 6's from all the judges. Not saying he should have won....he had some jump problems on the day...just saying his skating skills should have been a lot higher.

Dobre

Bruce Waddell -the ice dancer after having Ted point out his amazing skating skills before the marks came up got skating skills in the 6's from all the judges. Not saying he should have won....he had some jump problems on the day...just saying his skating skills should have been a lot higher.

Their skating skills marks in Brisbane were mostly in the 5's. They're young, and as of the beginning of the season, they had a lot of two foot skating. I missed the stream for Canadian's so I can't comment on the skating or marks there. But I do think D'Allesandro & Waddell have a nice basic feel and good potential.

barbarafan

Their skating skills marks in Brisbane were mostly in the 5's. They're young, and as of the beginning of the season, they had a lot of two foot skating. I missed the stream for Canadian's so I can't comment on the skating or marks there. But I do think D'Allesandro & Waddell have a nice basic feel and good potential.

They are lovely and up and coming and not ready to really challenge this yr. I was talking about his singles skating . He got very blah skating skills. In other words his skills were not being marked....they put all his PCS according to how they wanted him to finish.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Aren't Fabbri & Pietrantonio aging out of juniors after this season? What is the likelihood that they'll continue as a team?
Yes, he will turn 21 before July 1, 2018. She turns 15 in a couple of weeks, and they are age-eligible to skate seniors next year, but she's outgrown him physically, and she may still grow. He's probably not going to grow much more, if at all, and his frame is slender. She needs someone taller and broader at this point.

He's a gem, though. I kept watching the juniors and wanting to match him other with other skaters. (The men in general were a lot more expressive with much more precise timing, especially in the Latin rhythms, than their partners.) There was one who could be a diva in the making, but I particularly liked the overall presentation of another in the free. But that's fantasy carnage.

ChiquitaBanana

They are lovely and up and coming and not ready to really challenge this yr. I was talking about his singles skating . He got very blah skating skills. In other words his skills were not being marked....they put all his PCS according to how they wanted him to finish.
His LP at Canadians was not his best, even in terms of interpretation. I am sure he is capable of much more, but I was not in awe compared to Duval-Yergeau, Mitchell :inavoid: or Circelli:encore:. I found his long to be too heavy for him.

barbarafan

His LP at Canadians was not his best, even in terms of interpretation. I am sure he is capable of much more, but I was not in awe compared to Duval-Yergeau, Mitchell :inavoid: or Circelli:encore:. I found his long to be too heavy for him.

It definitely was not his best performance and I did not watch many of the others so won't even comment on who should have won,,,was just zoning in on his skating skills mark as that was bullsh**it.

ChiquitaBanana

It definitely was not his best performance and I did not watch many of the others so won't even comment on who should have won,,,was just zoning in on his skating skills mark as that was bullsh**it.

How can you say it was bullshit when you donā€™t have a base mark to compare his own marks against? One cannot draw conclusion on PCS if you gave not compared it to other similar skating.

NorthernDancers

I am not an ice dance technic person, but on speed, togetherness, edges, I would have had Shane and Carolane in second. G&P seemed slow and forced.
Completely agree. V/M were simply sublime. Until the twizzle, W/P were a real step above the rest, except for V/M. The overall quality of their skating is just in a different league than the rest of the field. But that error was awful for them. I'd have put S/F next. Again, the quality of their skating was very good. G/P were solid, but I'd have their marks in the same range as S/F. They don't deserve 78 for that. But G/P are always over scored in Canada. I've never understood it. We can all see the differences with our own eyes.

We didn't get to see too much of the rest of the field. S/W have come along nicely, but they still look pretty new. Not sure about A&W since they weren't broadcast. There is a huge hole in the middle of the ranks in Canada, which does not bode well for the future. I hope W/P stick around a couple of years, or Canada will be down spots on the World Team.

screech

Going into the twizzles, I was saying 'come on Andrew!' I guess I jinxed him.

WeaPo lost about 8-9points(ish) on those twizzles (6.6 BV for level 4, 1 point for the fall, and potential GOE). That would put them about in a tie with G/P if they'd done them successfully.

I like G/P, but in no way should a clean G/P be tied with a clean WeaPo. No way.

In any case, loved the fluff with WeaPo (mainly Kaitlyn) talking about their move to Morozov, and how blunt he was with them. In the first phone conversation "You used to be the best. Why aren't you the best anymore?" and "Your programs are boring."

barbarafan

I am not an ice dance technic person, but on speed, togetherness, edges, I would have had Shane and Carolane in second. G&P seemed slow and forced.

Agreed. WP had a mistake on twizzles...lost all marks on it yet the rest of program far superior to GP which should have eaten up the error...but it is Skate Canada domestic politics so GP is really far ahead. Shane and Caroline were so wonderful.

screech

GORGEOUS FD from WeaPo.

Didn't like G/P James Bond. I thought they did absolutely nothing to the music, and basically anything could have been playing from the speakers. A few nice lifts, though.

barbarafan

GORGEOUS FD from WeaPo.

Didn't like G/P James Bond. I thought they did absolutely nothing to the music, and basically anything could have been playing from the speakers. A few nice lifts, though.

and fabulous marks...so undeserved.....Some coaches r so good at politiking

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! šŸ˜
^^^^ What do you mean? I think they are fabulous...

it really is a wide spectrum of personal taste.. because I find W&P dulls-ville.

Anyway I hope G&P keep improving.

screech

I also don't love V/M's Moulin Rouge. I find he's working to sell it, but see nothing from her. And less passion than WeaPo.

I also notice that they take choreographic breaks in the middle of their twizzle sequence, instead of going directly from one to the next. Shouldn't that lower the level?

I like some of V/M's lifts, especially the ending one. Don't like the one where her knees are on his shoulders, crotch in his face, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information