Britney Spears

VGThuy

The issue is that Spears volunteered to be placed in one and it seems once your in, you have the burden of proof to prove you’re capable to live your life without one. And Spears still has not petitioned the court to end the conservatorship, so those are the facts we’re dealing with at the moment.

VGThuy

I think we should also include the fact that they threatened her with losing custody of her children unless she "voluntarily" chose to be placed in one. The definition of the word voluntary can be highly fluid.
It’s up to her to prove inducement, undue influence, or duress then. If she was vulnerable to believe their threats then maybe the judge’s findings that she’s vulnerable to outside exploitation isn’t so unfounded. And there’s not much that can be done until she actually petitions to end the conservatorship.

LeafOnTheWind

I am not arguing whether she should be in a conservatorship or not at this point. I am arguing she should not be in this particular version. It has so many red flags of being exploitative. This in itself can be very destabilizing and could prevent her from being released from one. I still go back to the need for there to be a pathway for ending it. I don't think the people in charge of her have bothered clearing a path and in fact blocked recovery.

She may need to be in a conservatorship right now but it doesn't mean she can't make any decisions for herself. I don't understand why her father has any control over her just because he's family. She doesn't want him to have any control at all and has been very clear on that point. She also doesn't trust her appointed attorney. I don't understand why they can't find an approved attorney that Britney is happy with.

Once they get her in a healthy conservatorship the discussion changes a lot. She may not have needed to be in one by now if she had been in a healthier version all along.

VGThuy

Just to be clear, I’m not arguing against any of that. I just think we need to keep in mind the judge, who I do not believe is acting with any malice and who must consider everything she is being presented with from all sides, has ruled in a way that indicates to me there are still a lot of leftover issues and sides that the public isn’t privy to. I do think there needs to be a path to end this and I’ve been clear that for whatever reason, her trust in her father is no longer there, so he should be removed and the scheme should be modified to give her the opportunity for more self-independence and determination while considering her current state. I wonder if they have someone who can come in who can be trusted that would make Spears feel safe and heard while at the same time may have to do some unpopular things or things she may not like in the name of protecting her estate, at least until she petitions for total freedom from the conservatorship.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
It’s up to her to prove inducement, undue influence, or duress then. If she was vulnerable to believe their threats then maybe the judge’s findings that she’s vulnerable to outside exploitation isn’t so unfounded. And there’s not much that can be done until she actually petitions to end the conservatorship.
But how can she, if no-one will listen to her and she has her therapists chosen for her?

clairecloutier

An in-depth story about the Spears situation in The New Yorker:

This article makes it clearer than ever how Spears’s current situation (the conservatorship) is inseparable from her wealth. I don’t think this arrangement would exist at all if it weren’t for the money involved.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Are we to assume here that everyone is unethical and unprofessional?
They don't have to be. They can be overworked, have their own biases, do the minimum, not stick their necks out, worry about consequences to their careers, and default to systems and rubber-stamping without much reflection, like most people. However, most people do not hold non-family members' self-determination and personal lives in their own hands.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I've seen that on TV, but I have never run into a lawyer who would accept that deal.

Maybe I just haven't known enough lawyers.

In any case, if someone is controlling her money, then she is, for all intents and purposes, without funds, unless her expenditure is approved.

Brian Wilson, maybe? I'd say his situation was worse. Randy Meisner (one of the Eagles)?

In any case....Mr. Spears, 68, currently oversees Ms. Spears’s nearly $60 million fortune, alongside a professional wealth management firm she requested; a licensed professional conservator took over Ms. Spears’s personal care on an ongoing temporary basis in 2019.

What exactly does her father do if her money is managed by a management firm and her personal care is managed by a professional conservator?
Oh you are blessed. I have lawyers coming out of my ears. And they not only do pro bono work but contingency, and have sliding fee schedules. Any attorney would be happy to take a dollar to secure their place as her lawyer. Think of the publicity they would garner. Priceless.

Think Erin Brockavitch..(sp).

puglover

None of us can do much, probably zero, to aid Britney Spears. Maybe all this placard holding helps, or maybe it makes her feel like a spectacle. There are mentally ill people all around us, some with minor depression, some with major life altering illness. They and their caregivers need our care and support. Most of us have little to no experience with this and so we shy away. During the time our daughter was so ill, another friend's son was very sick with a physical illness. It was not lost on me how much more comfortable friends were in reaching out to her. We all can do more within the sphere of our own influence to reduce the stigma and pain of mental illness.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
They don't have to be. They can be overworked, have their own biases, do the minimum, not stick their necks out, worry about consequences to their careers, and default to systems and rubber-stamping without much reflection, like most people.

Really, that describes most people?

However, most people do not hold non-family members' self-determination and personal lives in their own hands.

And yet here we have people who DO do this for a living--a probate court judge, a professional money management firm, a professional conservator, lawyers, therapists, social workers, etc. - - and they are all unethical, unprofessional, or just plain regular people who can't be bothered to their jobs, show compassion for another human being or demonstrate a willingness to do the right thing because that's not how most people behave?

It's not that it isn't possible that is true; my question is, why are we assuming that it's true? What is the basis of this belief?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Are we to assume here that everyone is unethical and unprofessional?
No, but I think it's a fair train of thought to assume that the blatant misconduct of Britney's father would suggest he may have cherry-picked therapists that were easily bought off or hired because they would do what he wanted. Unethical therapists are absolutely a thing, it would not be the first time a therapist was brought in by a parent just to force someone onto meds or to refuse to listen.

I was reading the other day that apparently the professional conservator firm is looking to resign from Britney's conservatorship, which would leave her back in her father's hands. No wonder Britney wants out so desperately.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
No, but I think it's a fair train of thought to assume that the blatant misconduct of Britney's father would suggest he may have cherry-picked therapists that were easily bought off or hired because they would do what he wanted. Unethical therapists are absolutely a thing, it would not be the first time a therapist was brought in by a parent just to force someone onto meds or to refuse to listen.
But the court appointed a professional conservator to take over decisions about Britney's personal life about two years ago, so that decision would the conservator's, not his. Of course the conservator could be unethical, too--that's also a thing.

But it wouldn't just the father, a therapist and the conservator who are unethical here--there has to be a veritable army of people who are unethical. That's possible; we are talking about a lot of money here, and money can corrupt just about anyone. But all of them? All at once? And what is the judge getting out of it--aside from a lot of publicity she'd probably rather not have?
I was reading the other day that apparently the professional conservator firm is looking to resign from Britney's conservatorship, which would leave her back in her father's hands. No wonder Britney wants out so desperately.
I believe it was the financial management team that resigned because they read that Britney did not want them any more. They were, IIRC, appointed in the first place at Britney's request, so apparently someone at some point was listening to her.

The father has accused the conservator of misconduct and the conservator has defended herself. At least that was the last I heard. Clearly one of us is remembering things incorrectly, which just might have something to do with why we don't see this all the same way. It's challenging to keep track of the few details we know--and there is so much we don't know.

I think there is potential for abuse here and it won't surprise me much if it revealed that there has been some; the mentally ill are often abused. But I have had quite a few bipolar students over the last 10 years or so and the first thing I learned about them is that you don't take their word for everything just because. Of course Britney doesn't want a conservator; who would? She also doesn't want to take her meds (common for bipolar people); who would? The side effects can be really unpleasant. Have you ever dealt with a person who is Bipolar 1 and off meds? I have. I wish more of them had a conservator.

Today I saw a blurb on Twitter about some celebrity saying that Britney's soda intake is controlled and she can't have more than one a day or something like that, and much Twitter rage ensued. But there are studies that show that caffeine intake can trigger manic episodes, even in people on meds, and so my bipolar students often say they aren't allowed to have soda at all. But people don't really know a lot about such things, do they?

puglover

But the court appointed a professional conservator to take over decisions about Britney's personal life about two years ago, so that decision would the conservator's, not his. Of course the conservator could be unethical, too--that's also a thing.

But it wouldn't just the father, a therapist and the conservator who are unethical here--there has to be a veritable army of people who are unethical. That's possible; we are talking about a lot of money here, and money can corrupt just about anyone. But all of them? All at once? And what is the judge getting out of it--aside from a lot of publicity she'd probably rather not have?

I believe it was the financial management team that resigned because they read that Britney did not want them any more. They were, IIRC, appointed in the first place at Britney's request, so apparently someone at some point was listening to her.

The father has accused the conservator of misconduct and the conservator has defended herself. At least that was the last I heard. Clearly one of us is remembering things incorrectly, which just might have something to do with why we don't see this all the same way. It's challenging to keep track of the few details we know--and there is so much we don't know.

I think there is potential for abuse here and it won't surprise me much if it revealed that there has been some; the mentally ill are often abused. But I have had quite a few bipolar students over the last 10 years or so and the first thing I learned about them is that you don't take their word for everything just because. Of course Britney doesn't want a conservator; who would? She also doesn't want to take her meds (common for bipolar people); who would? The side effects can be really unpleasant. Have you ever dealt with a person who is Bipolar 1 and off meds? I have. I wish more of them had a conservator.

Today I saw a blurb on Twitter about some celebrity saying that Britney's soda intake is controlled and she can't have more than one a day or something like that, and much Twitter rage ensued. But there are studies that show that caffeine intake can trigger manic episodes, even in people on meds, and so my bipolar students often say they aren't allowed to have soda at all. But people don't really know a lot about such things, do they?
Any way I can double or triple like this post?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's not that it isn't possible that is true; my question is, why are we assuming that it's true? What is the basis of this belief?
I'm not assuming this but I have to say that there is so much abuse in this system and that there are many people that are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves who get into one of these conservatorships and can't get out while the people who put them in it bleed them dry.

IMO it's too easy to get into a conservatorship, too hard to get out and the system is designed so that the conservatee is not trusted in any way while the conservator, even if they are a bad actor, gets their word taken as gospel without having to provide much, if any, proof. Often there is no investigation into their claims at all as long as the paperwork is filled out and has no inconsistencies.

There have been a number of cases that have made the news and the system badly needs reform.

Here is a white paper on it that some might find interesting:

And, if that's too dry for some, here's a John Oliver segment on it:

Now, does any of this apply to Spears? I doubt she is being taken advantage of by the professional con artists who abuse elders. But she's in the system and the system itself is corrupt IMO. Or, to be charitable, the system promotes abuse with the best of intentions.

Let's put it this way, conservatorship in CA work as well as our foster care system.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I'm not assuming this but I have to say that there is so much abuse in this system and that there are many people that are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves who get into one of these conservatorships and can't get out while the people who put them in it bleed them dry.
It seems to me that the very same things that could work against Britney--specifically her money and fame--would also work for her in this case. There are a lot of people working on her case; there is a lot of public scrutiny. This is not the case where no one cares or is paying attention or where one person is fully in charge. She's still working; people see her all the time.
Brian Wilson is someone else whose conservatorship got very messy:
Yes, I mentioned him a few pages ago and Vagabond added Mickey Rooney. You could also add Casey Kasem to the list. Amanda Bynes, Joni Mitchell and Randy Meissner of the Eagles are celebrities who have conservatorships now; Amanda Bynes wants hers to end, but it was extended through this year.

For those who wonder how Britney can be so mentally ill and still perform, a list of celebrities with bipolar disorder. Of course, the severity of the disorder varies. The first time I ever heard of bipolar disorder was when I read Patty Duke's autobiography, which details how out of control she was while she was working.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It seems to me that the very same things that could work against Britney--specifically her money and fame--would also work for her in this case. There are a lot of people working on her case; there is a lot of public scrutiny. This is not the case where no one cares or is paying attention or where one person is fully in charge. She's still working; people see her all the time.
There seems to be attention on it now. For a long time, it was only her most hard-core fans. And already there is talk of reform of the system and a bill making it through the legislature that will do that.

canbelto

Michael Jackson showed that being rich, famous and adored isn't protection against people not doing the ethical thing. In MJ's case, a bunch of enabling doctors gave him dangerous drugs which ultimately killed him.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
And yet here we have people who DO do this for a living--a probate court judge, a professional money management firm, a professional conservator, lawyers, therapists, social workers, etc. - - and they are all unethical, unprofessional, or just plain regular people who can't be bothered to their jobs, show compassion for another human being or demonstrate a willingness to do the right thing because that's not how most people behave?
I think they do think they're doing their jobs.

canbelto

Also, the amount of money at stake for Britney through her performances and endorsements makes it IMO less likely that everyone will behave ethically.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Michael Jackson showed that being rich, famous and adored isn't protection against people not doing the ethical thing. In MJ's case, a bunch of enabling doctors gave him dangerous drugs which ultimately killed him.
:rolleyes: I don't think that was my claim at all. I specified what I meant in Britney Spears' case, which was not just that she is rich and famous. She has been working for the last several years and has not been in isolation. There have been multiple people and organizations working on her case for years.

One of the key characteristics you see with abuse cases is that the victim is cut off from other people as much as possible. I don't see that here. Maybe you do.

But if you want me to say that hey, anyone can be abused at any time and any place, regardless of whether they are rich or poor or famous or unknown or beautiful or ugly or anything else, consider it said.

ETA: Yes, I made the point about money being a potentially corrupting factor a couple of posts back.

canbelto

:rolleyes: I don't think that was my claim at all. I specified what I meant in Britney Spears' case, which was not just that she is rich and famous. She has been working for the last several years and has not been in isolation. There have been multiple people and organizations working on her case for years.

One of the key characteristics you see with abuse cases is that the victim is cut off from other people as much as possible. I don't see that here. Maybe you do.
I don't think she's physically isolated, but I also don't see anyone truly in her corner who's only looking out for her. It seems as if all her relationships are transactional or have become transactional.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I don't think she's physically isolated, but I also don't see anyone truly in her corner who's only looking out for her. It seems as if all her relationships are transactional or have become transactional.
Based on what?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
And why do you think they are not?
I think they are doing what the systems, in this case judicial, were deiberately set up for them to do and allow them to do. Like make a decision quickly without speaking to the person whose rights were about to be curtailed and not raise alternatives, as described in The New Yorker article.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
According to The New Yorker article the conservatorship was extended in December until September 2021. I guess we will see then if there are any modifications now that she has testified, orgs like the ACLU and other attorneys, law schools, etc have weighed in, and as other details become more transparent.
According to Jonathan Martinis, the senior director for law and policy at a center for disability rights at Syracuse University, one of the most dangerous aspects of guardianships is the way that they prevent people from getting their own legal counsel. “The rights at stake in guardianship are analogous to the rights at stake in criminal cases,” Martinis said. “Britney could have been found holding an axe and a severed head, saying ‘I did it,’ and she still would’ve had the right to an attorney. So, under guardianship, you don’t have the same rights as an axe murderer.”
I found some of the information in that article chilling. It says she made two attempts at the beginning to retain an alternate attorney but was deemed not to have the capacity to do so and had to settle for one from a court shortlist of connected cronies. It was noted that the attorney who was appointed spent ninety minutes with her once and said it was three times longer than any other appointments they had scheduled. There is also an interviewee who witnessed a statement by her father of a conflict of interest with this attorney.
“There’s this concept of the dignity of risk,” Brennan-Krohn, the A.C.L.U. lawyer, said. “Most of us have a very wide range of bad choices we can make that society is O.K. with, but, in a conservatorship, you’re subject to the decision-making rubric of best interest. And it’s possible we’d all be better off if someone was making decisions for us like that, but those are not the values of the society we live in.”
Supporting the parents and brother financially for years is a courtesy not a necessity and it sounds like the father has a history of mandated work requirements. As an alternative, money to support her children and for her personal expenses could have been protected using other methods and her other business interests downsized if needed. It ought to be her choice not theirs whether she wants to support all these people and business interests, or be a spare change Santa Monica Pier busker or perform in Las Vegas while her father screams demeaning things at her. It's not clear from the article that is the case.

It's all well and good to say it's none of our business, but this case is one example of how successfully or poorly the public policy works when it comes to these conservatorships and there certainly seem to be too many questionable standards and technicalities. What I have been reading about them has convinced me further in-depth analysis is needed and probably some reforms after that examination.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information