Bids for ISU Championships 2021 & 2022; Provisional allotments in 2020/21

Sylvia

TBD
https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-summary-of-championships-season-2021-22/file

2021 Four Continents Championships (February 8-14)
Sydney AUS
Beijing CHN
Taipei TPE

---

2022 European Championships (January 10-16)
Sofia BUL
Ostrava CZE
Tallinn EST
Helsinki or Espoo FIN
Sheffield GBR

2022 Four Continents Championships (January 17-22)
Taipei TPE

2022 World Junior Championships (March 7-13)
Tashkent UZB (venue would be the brand new Humo Arena: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwZk72PhsiJ/ )

2022 World Championships (March 21-27)
Minsk BLR
Sofia BUL
Montpellier FRA
Budapest HUN
Torino ITA
Bratislava SVK

---

Provisional allotments of ISU Championships 2021 so far:

European Championships, January 25-31, 2021 – Zagreb CRO

World Junior Championships, March 1-7, 2021 - Harbin CHN

World Championships, March 22-28, 2021 - Stockholm SWE

Also (not an ISU Championship): ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, December 10-13, 2020 - Beijing CHN

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
*gloomy sigh* And there's a big country bid for 4CC. Well, it was a nice dream while it lasted.
That also has the 2020 GPF and the 2021 Jr Worlds. I'd say that China already having those two events helps Sydney's chances at 4CCs 2021.

minuet

That also has the 2020 GPF and the 2021 Jr Worlds. I'd say that China already having those two events helps Sydney's chances at 4CCs 2021.

Beijing has to designate an event as the test event for 2022 Olympics...in recent years it's normally the preceding 4CC or Europeans (Vancouver, Sochi, Pyeongchang). I don't GPF is large enough to consider for the test event. Would they let Jr. worlds count as the test event?

honey

Beijing has to designate an event as the test event for 2022 Olympics...in recent years it's normally the preceding 4CC or Europeans (Vancouver, Sochi, Pyeongchang). I don't GPF is large enough to consider for the test event. Would they let Jr. worlds count as the test event?

Wasn’t the GPF in December 2012 the Sochi test event?

jiejie

Because of this, Beijing would normally have the inside track for getting 2021 4CC. However, the venue for figure skating (Capital Indoor Stadium) is an established venue for figure skating, that was previously refurbished for the 2008 Summer Olympics. Most of the technical "bugs" would have been worked out of the venue and the test would be more for operational/personnel training reasons. So the IOC/ISU might indeed be OK with letting Beijing do a smaller event like GPF or Jr. Worlds as the test event, and going elsewhere for 2021 4CC.

clairecloutier

Wow, not a single North American bid for any competition. Pity.

I would think probably it's because North America recently had a bunch of major events--GPF and 4CCs this year, Worlds next year. Hopefully we'll see more bids from North America for 2023 events. (Detroit for 2023 Worlds??)

4CCs was so fun, and I thought the attendance was fairly good, if not outstanding. It would be great to see another North American 4CCs within the next 5 years.

lexeoe

isn't Beijing scheduled for GPF 2020? and looks like Australia shifted their 4CC bid to Sydney instead of Melbourne. Any idea which stadium is being proposed for Sydney?

Dobre

4CCs was so fun, and I thought the attendance was fairly good, if not outstanding. It would be great to see another North American 4CCs within the next 5 years.

It was. It was also fun to see a diverse figure skating audience, as we did in Anaheim. And it was a reminder of how many 4CC athletes train in North America. I had not realized what a large percentage of the 4CC athletes usually travel across the ocean for this event until we were there for it. The announcer kept saying so & so from such & such country, and I kept saying "from the L.A. area, from Canada," or "training in Colorado," etc. Anyway, it was nice for a great many more athletes than just those representing Canada & the U.S. to not have to travel so far this season and, it seemed, for quite a number of athletes to have family in the stands.

Last edited:

npavel

I would prefer Sofia, Budapest or Bratislava, because Montpelier and Torino will be much more expensive, and for Minsk I would need visa.
you have to check out the visa issue: they have changed the rools. In January there was no need for visa up till 30 days for me, I think that is for you too. And I would love to go back to Minsk as I was there only 2 days

hanca

Values her privacy
you have to check out the visa issue: they have changed the rools. In January there was no need for visa up till 30 days for me, I think that is for you too. And I would love to go back to Minsk as I was there only 2 days
When did they change the rules? I was looking at the visa when the tickets for Europeans became available and my understanding was that it was just 5 days without visa?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
isn't Beijing scheduled for GPF 2020? and looks like Australia shifted their 4CC bid to Sydney instead of Melbourne. Any idea which stadium is being proposed for Sydney?

I'm guessing Qudos Bank Arena in the Olympic Park. It's where they usually have Disney on Ice and IIRC when they had the international ice hockey it was there.

Well, Melbourne's bid lasted a hot five minutes. I wonder what prompted the switch to Sydney?

I'm guessing the fact that Melbourne were trying to host it in a 2000-seat (allegedly - I really would not like to be in that building with 2000 people) rink probably sunk it.

I'm thinking the KFC Spicy Wings Arena.

The problem is, the stadium names have all changed so much in the last few years that I genuinely had to Google this to make sure it wasn't a real place. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information