Battle of the Blades is returning to CBC this Fall!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Have to agree with your last sentence @Skate Talker. Well that and almost all of what you've written. I think Keshia's ok, just not brilliant. A bit too OTT glossy for my taste, and someone up thread suggested Kaetlyn Osmond who I think would be fabulous. I agree that in many ways the show's better than last year without all the B-list actors and talkative Ron. And yes, the judges are great this year. I'm enjoying them all.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
The BOTB is like a puzzle with 10,000 pieces. We know what it’ll look like but it’s always missing a few pieces. I still think they keep f***ing it up every season. This season they got the judges and performances on point. They totally screwed up on Kurt and the non-skating new host Keisha. If only Kaetlyn Osmond was brought on as the SOLE host for the show, with Kurt more involved backstage (interviewing, sharing his personal thoughts on their performances instead of always saying “wow”, and of course skating). Ron is like piece #10,001. Why do we keep him!??

Alilou

Ubercavorter
The BOTB is like a puzzle with 10,000 pieces. We know what it’ll look like but it’s always missing a few pieces. I still think they keep f***ing it up every season. This season they got the judges and performances on point. They totally screwed up on Kurt and the non-skating new host Keisha. If only Kaetlyn Osmond was brought on as the SOLE host for the show, with Kurt more involved backstage (interviewing, sharing his personal thoughts on their performances instead of always saying “wow”, and of course skating). Ron is like piece #10,001. Why do we keep him!??
Because it wouldn't be BOTB without him. I think it's the same reason they kept Kurt.

puglover

I thought Ron was important to hockey fans and knows the details of the hockey players careers. I like Kaetlyn and have been a huge fan. My son got me a birthday cameo from her and it was terrible. She said basically nothing - seemed embarrassed and didn't mention any of the things they sent her. Maybe not her thing but she was paid for it.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Ron’s just not as entertaining. I wish PJ or even Colby took over.
I thought Ron was important to hockey fans and knows the details of the hockey players careers. I like Kaetlyn and have been a huge fan. My son got me a birthday cameo from her and it was terrible. She said basically nothing - seemed embarrassed and didn't mention any of the things they sent her. Maybe not her thing but she was paid for it.
Colby would be great! But yeah, Ron's for the hockey fans so I think he has to stay. We tend to forget that half the audience is hockey fans and families.

For all my saying that Kaetlyn would be great I admit I really have no way of knowing that, and I'm not entirely surprised to hear that it would not be right for her, or her for the show. I don't know she'd be a good host, only that she's loved by the country (well FS fans anyway) and she can skate. It's not really enough is it :lol:

Sonata

Hosting a live show can be very challenging. Ideally the host would have some presenting experience. I thought the original Ron and Kurt combo was about representing hockey and figure skating. Not sure why they haven’t retained that format - people still seem to expect it even though there’s loads of dance shows where the host is not a performer. Nothing against Keisha. I also thought Elladj would be a good fit for the role and could easily see him doing presenting as a full time job in the future should he decide to retire from figure skating.

Keep Kurt in some capacity because he remains one of the most recognizable skaters that regular people know. I feel like he had a hand in creating the show, but I may be wrong. I know Kevin Albrecht did. Kurt is in his 50s so I’m all for more opportunities to see him skate before he stops performing.

Desperado

It didn't help that CBC decided to highlight the trash talk about the hockey player with MS by a former adversary. Very mean-spirited and in poor taste.
What happened? Who is MS?

I only saw fun trash talk between Versteeg and Bickell.

As for Keisha, I think she’s fine, nothing more, nothing less.

My first choice for co-host would’ve been Elladj, then Kurt. Asher looks great on the ice, but he would’ve been fun too.

Skate Talker

Bryan Bickell has MS (multiple sclerosis), but yes, Bickell and Versteeg were teammates who won the Stanley Cup together, not adversaries. The "trash talk" is all good-spirited and they are playing up their "rivalry" for fun.
Thanks for the clarification that they were teammates - I wasn't sure of the exact relationship. I did get that it's all intended to be in fun and am sure the 2 guys are fine with it but still find exactly the way it has been referenced on the show makes it unintentionally sound more mean-spirited than fun.
I thought initially that Versteeg could have phrased it better but he is not a public speaker afaik. The additional mentions, particularly by Kurt, seemed totally tone-deaf to me. But then again I had a grandmother with MS, as well as a co-worker, and now a close friend so perhaps I am overly sensitive about it.
Aside from this, Kurt was trying to play up the rivalry between Kaitlyn & Andrew like a bull in a china shop. JMHO

Lemonade20

Kurt was much better this time around. He talked more about the skaters and we got to see him more than once. The performances are mind blowing, kudos to the skating teams! Keisha still needs to go though....

Desperado

So no elimination last night? Was a reason given?

I always find that part painful to watch so I stepped away and came back to see Vanessa’s shocked expression.

I would’ve preferred the no elimination to be the first week, it feels unfair to have Violetta and her partner leave and then, no one.

Or did I misread this completely?

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

I always find that part painful to watch so I stepped away and came back to see Vanessa’s shocked expression.

I would’ve preferred the no elimination to be the first week, it feels unfair to have Violetta and her partner leave and then, no one.

It was a tie in the judges marks.

Lemonade20

They really should skip the eliminations altogether and just have a hockey skate off for the bottom two (hockey skills). Everyone stays

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
it’s been such a busy week i’m just catching up now and wow i’m so impressed with the skaters and the show this year. Loving Meagan what a trooper with her fractured nose she’s so brave pushing the technical element. Asher Hill i’m enjoying his performances as well & I’ve enjoyed his social media contributions. Also enjoy Kaitlin and Bryan he’s such a good skater! Too late for me to vote now so will watch it live next week.

Skate Talker

So most of the time I am really appreciating the extraordinary camera work during the performances. They seem to be doing a lot of segments where they circle the skaters, which I think it adds a feeling of speed and excitement to the skating. I imagine the lack of an audience may be making it easier for them to have the cameras & operators in places that might not have been as easy if they were trying to accommodate a live audience.

So do we think the tie was totally set up in advance? I mean there was no hesitation on Ron's part to say that a tie meant neither were getting eliminated. Of course it's feasible that such an eventuality had been envisioned and discussed well in advance of it actually happening but it just was so pat.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So do we think the tie was totally set up in advance? I mean there was no hesitation on Ron's part to say that a tie meant neither were getting eliminated. Of course it's feasible that such an eventuality had been envisioned and discussed well in advance of it actually happening but it just was so pat.
In the USA, this would be considered a game show and so they have to post the rules in advance. I don't know how it works in Canada.

skatingguy

decently
In the USA, this would be considered a game show and so they have to post the rules in advance. I don't know how it works in Canada.
The skaters are competing for charity, so I don't think it faces quite the same rules that a game show would be subject to.

Desperado

Performance wise, I didn’t see a tie.

If judges were allowed to give the same marks to both couples, when would we see an elimination? I think one year they had a “no couple eliminated” thing but I can’t remember how it came about.

And one year they had to bring back eliminated Violetta and PJ because of injury which was cool.

Lemonade20

I don’t mind seeing a tie, but I do wish they would have it entered instead of calling out and influencing the others

Japanfan

I don't think it was set up, because the skaters had to skate before the judges gave their marks.

But one never does quite know for sure.

barbarafan

So most of the time I am really appreciating the extraordinary camera work during the performances. They seem to be doing a lot of segments where they circle the skaters, which I think it adds a feeling of speed and excitement to the skating. I imagine the lack of an audience may be making it easier for them to have the cameras & operators in places that might not have been as easy if they were trying to accommodate a live audience.

I think the marks were a bit low on Kaitlyn/Brian routine so did not leave much room below. All the marks were jumbled together so it was tricky. I think it just happened.

Alilou

Ubercavorter

I think Jordan Cowan is on the ice filming them. He's a very good skater and a great cameraman. I saw him (or someone like him - but I think he's the only person who does this) filming one of the practice clips one of the teams put up on insta - can't remember who.

ETA: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHY9yl3FJva/

Last edited:

Orm Irian

I think Jordan Cowan is on the ice filming them. He's a very good skater and a great cameraman. I saw him (or someone like him - but I think he's the only person who does this) filming one of the practice clips one of the teams put up on insta - can't remember who.

ETA: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHY9yl3FJva/
Yes, Jordan's been in Toronto for a couple of months now, to film first for IAM live and now for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information