Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, and Patrick Chan each multiple World Gold Medals for Canada only to fall short at the Olympics. Jeffrey Buttle won the 2008 World Championship and promptly retired.

(((((Canada)))))
(((((Australia)))))
(((((Skaters named Polina)))))

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
As the person who manages the ISA website, I have not been advised of anything yet officially. It will get done when I have a chance to do it. That is if it behaves itself (after battling trying to do basic website updates this week).
Sorry, it was more, that it all has happened so fast, I can scarce believe it, the logo is still up and makes me sad for what could have been. It was not meant as criticism. I have loved seeing it up there.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Each location change might not suit you, but it will always suit someone.
Well, I guess none of us are going now, given the latest location change.
Fingers crossed that Tasmania will be able to get a new ice rink to replace the now closed Glenorchy:
If anyone has some spare cash and wants to donate money towards helping Tasmanian skaters travel interstate for training (reminder that Tasmania is an island so they can't just drive to another state) then there is a crowd funding thingy here.

Last edited:

karmena

Ha! Ha! And I do feel huuuge dislike towards name of Karmena and, because of this, I meant it to be my my password ( as it is easier to remember) when I made an account on fsu but I, by mistake, typed karmena as my username instead... and so, since that time i am Karmena. Have to change finally! Each time when I post something, I do think " oh, who is this Karmena? me?"

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Have to change finally! Each time when I post something, I do think " oh, who is this Karmena? me?"
Just send @SHARPIE a private message with a new username that you like. :)

ETA:

Just noticed Australian skaters have begun requesting international assignments - scroll down & click on "2022-23 International Calendar-Updated": https://www.isa.org.au/high-performance-and-athlete-development
Names in red indicate skaters' requests & they will turn blue if/when approved by the ISA board.

Glad to see that Darian Kaptich (the only Senior man who competed at Hollins Trophy) has requested the Philadelphia Summer & Cranberry Internationals back to back in August. :) Re-posting here from the 2022 Hollins Trophy/AUS & NZL competitions thread in Kiss & Cry:
Darian Kaptich (52.80) skated an entertaining performance to "Friend Like Me" (from Aladdin) and stood up on 3A (called <<), hung on to 3Lz, and 3T(turnout)+2T. It was nice to see Brendan Kerry standing with Darian's primary coach, Maureen Sumner, at the boards.
Kaptich's FS music is to the classic ballads "The Way You Look Tonight" (Sinatra) & "L-O-V-E" (Nat King Cole).

JGP Spots for Aussie skaters this coming season:
Men -Riga, Grenoble
Ladies -Courchevel, Riga, Grenoble, Gdansk
Pairs -Ostrava, Riga, Grenoble, Gdansk
Dance-Riga, Grenoble

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Interesting to see that Golubeva/Giotopoulos-Moore have requested JGP assignments. They're all but guaranteed two GP assignments, given how thin the senior ranks are, so this is a bit surprising to me. I hope it's just a backup request that will be withdrawn if they receive 2 GP assignments.

LoisAGOEs

I think they expressed their intention to stay Junior at Junior Worlds. While they would likely do well in a depleted Senior field, the Junior field is even more sparse, they can easily win the JGPF.

Sylvia

TBD
If Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore return to the JGP and win golds in 3 competitions, they could get 350 points for winning the JGP Final plus 250 for winning a JGP and enter the ISU Challenger Series (they've requested Warsaw Cup) and have 1 more senior international "box" to fill for additional ISU WS points.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Just noticed Australian skaters have begun requesting international assignments - scroll down & click on "2022-23 International Calendar-Updated": https://www.isa.org.au/high-performance-and-athlete-development
Names in red indicate skaters' requests & they will turn blue if/when approved by the ISA board.
JGP Spots for Aussie skaters this coming season:
Men -Riga, Grenoble
Ladies -Courchevel, Riga, Grenoble, Gdansk
Pairs -Ostrava, Riga, Grenoble, Gdansk
Approved by ISA Board=Names now in Blue on ISA's updated spreadsheet:

Junior Grand Prix:
Aug 24-27, 2022 JGP #1 Courchevel, FRA: Simona Bhasin
Sep 07-10, 2022 JGP #3 Riga, LAT: Vlada Vasiliev; Julio Potapenko
Sep 28-Oct 1, 2022 JGP #5 Grenoble, FRA: Sienna Kaczmarczyk; Julio Potapenko; Young/Lewer & Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore
Oct 05-08, 2022 JGP #6 Gdansk, POL: Vlada Vasiliev; Young/Lewer & Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore

Senior B internationals:
Aug 3-7 Philadelphia Summer International Aston, PA USA: Darian Kaptich
Aug 10-14 Cranberry International Norwood, MA USA: Darian Kaptich; Victoria Alcantara; Young/Lewer (SR-JR Pairs)
Aug 27-28 (inaugural) Britannia Cup Sheffield UK - SR-Dance (2): Harris/Chan & Nette/Westwood
Sep 2-4 SEA Open Trophy Singapore SGP: Darian Kaptich & Vlada Vasiliev (SR); Julio Potapenko & Sienna Kaczmarczyk (JR); Abbey Dobson (Adv Nov); Sophie Storey (Int. Nov)
Sep 8-11 John Nicks Pairs Challenge New York, NY: Young/Lewer (SR)

ISU Challenger Series:
Sep 12-16 CS U.S. Classic Lake Placid, NY: Victoria Alcantara
Sep 21-24 CS Nebelhorn Oberstdorf, GER: Harris/Chan
Sep 29-Oct 01 CS Ondrej Nepela Bratislava, SVK: Harris/Chan, Nette/Westwood
Oct 13-16 CS Budapest, HUN: Nette/Westwood

ETA: Holly Harris/Jason Chan are registered to begin their season at the Quebec Summer Championships in Pierrefonds - Senior ice dance events are on August 5-6.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think they expressed their intention to stay Junior at Junior Worlds. While they would likely do well in a depleted Senior field, the Junior field is even more sparse, they can easily win the JGPF.
Approved by ISA Board=Names now in Blue on ISA's updated spreadsheet:

Junior Grand Prix:
Aug 24-27, 2022 JGP #1 Courchevel, FRA: Simona Bhasin
Sep 07-10, 2022 JGP #3 Riga, LAT: Vlada Vasiliev; Julio Potapenko
Sep 28-Oct 1, 2022 JGP #5 Grenoble, FRA: Sienna Kaczmarczyk; Julio Potapenko; Young/Lewer & Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore
Oct 05-08, 2022 JGP #6 Gdansk, POL: Vlada Vasiliev; Young/Lewer & Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore

Senior B internationals:
Aug 3-7 Philadelphia Summer International Aston, PA USA: Darian Kaptich
Aug 10-14 Cranberry International Norwood, MA USA: Darian Kaptich; Victoria Alcantara; Young/Lewer (SR-JR Pairs)
Aug 27-28 (inaugural) Britannia Cup Sheffield UK - SR-Dance (2): Harris/Chan & Nette/Westwood
Sep 2-4 SEA Open Trophy Singapore SGP: Darian Kaptich & Vlada Vasiliev (SR); Julio Potapenko & Sienna Kaczmarczyk (JR); Abbey Dobson (Adv Nov); Sophie Storey (Int. Nov)
Sep 8-11 John Nicks Pairs Challenge New York, NY: Young/Lewer (SR)

ISU Challenger Series:
Sep 12-16 CS U.S. Classic Lake Placid, NY: Victoria Alcantara
Sep 21-24 CS Nebelhorn Oberstdorf, GER: Harris/Chan
Sep 29-Oct 01 CS Ondrej Nepela Bratislava, SVK: Harris/Chan, Nette/Westwood
Oct 13-16 CS Budapest, HUN: Nette/Westwood

ETA: Holly Harris/Jason Chan are registered to begin their season at the Quebec Summer Championships in Pierrefonds - Senior ice dance events are on August 5-6.
Talk about a Generation Next list of competitors. So many new names and faces.

Interesting that Brendan Kerry, Kailani Craine, James Min, Jordan Dodds, Maria Chernyshova & Harley Windsor haven't nominated themselves for any assignments (yet).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Talk about a Generation Next list of competitors. So many new names and faces.

Interesting that Brendan Kerry, Kailani Craine, James Min, Jordan Dodds, Maria Chernyshova & Harley Windsor haven't nominated themselves for any assignments (yet).
Brendan should be in good shape for at least one if not two GP assignments, given how high he is on the SB list. Chernyshova/Windsor might get a GP - they're really far down on the SB list, but with the pairs field depleted so much and at least a couple teams ahead if them likely doing the JGP, it's possible they'll secure an invitation.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

On June 17 Min shared 3 clips, filmed at the Cricket Club, from a program choreographed by Joey Russell: https://www.instagram.com/p/CeuPRDxvZGk/
James is the one skater I would love to see realise his potential.

He is so talented in training, but such a bundle of nerves when it comes to competing on the international stage. Here is hoping the 2022/23 season is his year.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the GP Assignments thread:
Fantastic news for Team Australia.
[#1] Skate America - Norwood, Massachusetts, USA.
Brendan Kerry / Men's Singles
Anastasia Golubeva & Hektor Giotopoulos-Moore / Pairs

[#2] Skate Canada International - Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
Holly Harris & Jason Chan / Ice Dance

[#5] NHK Trophy - Sapporo, Japan.
Maria Chernyshova & Harley Windsor / Pairs

[#6] Grand Prix Espoo - Espoo, Finland
Anastasia Golubeva & Hektor Giotopoulos-Moore / Pairs

Re-posting here from the JGP thread in GSD:
Yes [on Golubeva/G-M moving up]. They're a strong contender for a medal at SkAm. The field at Espoo is a bit deeper but they could still surprise with a medal. I'd say they have an outside shot at the GPF. Maybe not as much prize money, but they're certainly competitive enough for the GP.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Great news regarding the Grand Prix entry list for Team AUS, and chuffed that Brendan Kerry has decided to continue.

Ice Skating Australia may want to correct their Facebook announcement though. They have Harris & Chan competing at Skate America and not Skate Canada.

Sylvia

TBD
Just saw this posted in the Grand Prix Assignments thread :(:
On the Australian Federation's International Assignments calendar, Brendan Kerry is already crossed out from Skate America.
Not surprisingly, Golubeva/Giotopoulos-Moore's names are crossed out of their 2 JGP assignments now.

ETA that Ice Skating Australia recently hosted an awards get together in Sydney and I see Kailani, Brendan, Harley & Maria, Hektor & Anastasia in their photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgVefYivK-A/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Now they have been crossed out from Skate America and "un-crossed" from JGPs
And Golubeva/Giotopoulos-Moore are still listed in the current spreadsheet for the GP in Espoo, Finland.

ETA that I posted this back in June:
If Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore return to the JGP and win golds in 3 competitions, they could get 350 points for winning the JGP Final plus 250 for winning a JGP and enter the ISU Challenger Series (they've requested Warsaw Cup) and have 1 more senior international "box" to fill for additional ISU WS points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information