Ashley Wagner reveals she was assaulted by John Coughlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Sigh, @AxelAnnie , when you have to get into semantics to prove your point, you’ve already lost. Seriously, what’s the point of trying to win an argument on a technicality?
Specificity is important. Words have meaning.

Where do you see a "technicality"

Not trying to "win an argument". Just stating my POV.

THANKS THOUGH.

caseyedwards

Are you kidding? I am woman
I am invincible.
You try on my childhood. I'll match you and up by 5. why is behind us only defines is if we allow it to?

Oh no my dear. I have dealt with it all and I can tell you I am one strong woman. We choose what we allow to define us. And I chose long ago what I would allow to me me. And I
Did that all by myself by finding people after whom I could model myself and in whom I could believe.
Good for you. Thanks for an Inspring and empowering message

skatfan

Strong women on this board? No $hit!

Denial is a defense mechanism proposed by Anna Freud which involves a refusal to accept reality, thus blocking external events from awareness. ... Many people use denial in their everyday lives to avoid dealing with painful feelings or areas of their life they don't wish to admit.

And yes, trauma leaves scars. We do not choose the experiences we have, or MOST of the people in our lives. we do chose how we react to them. Think Elizabeth Smart.

Judging.....you bet! Someone defines a place as dangerous to the psyche of her child and yet leaves her child there.

Martin Niemoller

We all judge all the time.....just like you are judging me. To judge someone is to form an opinion of conclusion about someone.

And why are we all here at FSU? Because we are rather addicted: enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity. ..... which is a judged sport
:cheer2::summer::encore:

Wow, I guess you had invoke the Nazis (Niemoller quote) - a sure sign that you have lost all sense of proportion. Nobody is taking you away to some detention camp and separating you from your loved ones. You are being confronted about behavior that does not comport with your own vision of strength. In fact, it appears to many of us to show your weakness. Personally, I feel compassion for you. I hope you can heal more.

Think Elizabeth Smart, you say - great. I truly admire her. But she had multiple opportunities during her captivity to tell people who she was, and was kept from doing so by her fear. I wonder if she is as judgmental and dismissive of sexual abuse survivors and their journeys as you have been. Somehow I don't think so.

canbelto

Wow, I guess you had invoke the Nazis (Niemoller quote) - a sure sign that you have lost all sense of proportion. Nobody is taking you away to some detention camp and separating you from your loved ones. You are being confronted about behavior that does not comport with your own vision of strength. In fact, it appears to many of us to show your weakness. Personally, I feel compassion for you. I hope you can heal more.

Think Elizabeth Smart, you say - great. I truly admire her. But she had multiple opportunities during her captivity to tell people who she was, and was kept from doing so by her fear. I wonder if she is as judgmental and dismissive of sexual abuse survivors and their journeys as you have been. Somehow I don't think so.

Definitely not. Shes spoken out against this specific kind of victim blaming.

AxelAnnie

Yes she did. The people who took her promised to kill members of her family if she told. Big incentive to stay silent.

WOW - you missed the point of that quote. Which was made by a Lutheran Pastor. The only thing necessary for evil to exist is for good men to do nothing.

Last edited:

B.Cooper

The Enough is Enough Voter project has a petition demanding Congress pass a bi-partisan bill to increase oversight in Olympic sports because of what happened to Ashley:

Please check out the following pages all referencing the USOC investigation (materials released July 30th) as well as the proposed bill, released in conjunction with the investigation at the end of July. These investigations have taken 18 months, and Wagner's interviews and pressers have been released subsequent to the release of the documents from the Senate investigation.

Senator Jerry Moran (Kansas) page with the investigation process and links to the "Empowering Olympic and Amateur Athletes Act of 2019"
Each NGB response is linked in the investigation document, included US Figure Skating

The text of the proposed bill, submitted last month:

and a one page summary of the proposed bill

Borrowing from the one page summary of the proposed bill from Blumenthal and Moran's offices:

EMPOWERING OLYMPIC AND AMATEUR ATHLETES ACT OF 2019:
Amending the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act
Strengthening Legal Liability and Accountability Mechanisms

This bill will prevent future governance failures within the U.S. Olympic movement by:
Imposing greater legal liability on both the U.S. Olympic Committee and National Governing Bodies—the amateur athlete organizations that oversee Olympic sports—for bad acts, including sexual abuse by coaches and employees.
Establishing legislative mechanisms by which Congress can dissolve the Board of the U.S. Olympic Committee and decertify National Governing Bodies.
Increasing amateur athletes’ level of representation on the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committees board from 1/5 to 1/3. The bill also guarantees that 1/3 of National Governing Bodies’ governing structures will be filled by amateur athletes.
Requiring the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee to provide greater oversight over National Governing Bodies.
Providing the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee with greater tools to discipline National Governing Bodies that are failing to protect athletes.

Restoring a Culture of Putting Athletes First
This bill ensures that the Olympic movement will protect survivors by:
Requiring the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee to establish clear procedures and reporting requirements that will protect athletes going forward.
Imposing clear responsibilities to protect athletes that participate in sports programs administered by National Governing Bodies.
Bolstering the Office of the Ombudsman’s authority and independence to aid athletes who have been assaulted or abused—whether that be sexually, physically, or emotionally.

Fortifying the Independence of the Center for SafeSport
The Center for SafeSport is responsible for investigating allegations of sexual abuse against athletes, and this bill strengthens the Center by:
Requiring the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee to pay the Center for SafeSport $20 million annually for operating costs.
Barring individuals that are employed by the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee or a National Governing Body from serving the Center for SafeSport.

Requiring the Center for SafeSport to report to Congress within 72 hours any attempt by the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee or a National Governing Body to interfere with the Center’s work.

The full investigation report on the USOC, released July 30th:
" The Courage of Survivors: A Call to Action"

A brief summary of the investigative report:

So, long story short....this is not isolated to skating. And it is more than the physical/sexual abuse issues, it also includes the mental abuse (and/or grooming) that takes place in so many sports.

NYTimes coverage of recent issues in equestrian sports and recent banning for life of a former OLY coach:

and in another story, with another OLY trainer

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yes she did. The people who took her promised to kill members of her family if she told. Big incentive to stay silent.

And you have no idea what any of these people we have discussed in the skating world are saying or doing behind closed doors. Again, I personally think you need to understand our brains Do. Not. Work. The. Same. Congratulations for you dealing with your own situation in a way that satisfies you, but don’t go out of your way to put others down. I’m not going to reply to any more of your rants, but again- you should be the most compassionate person in this situation.

AxelAnnie

And you have no idea what any of these people we have discussed in the skating world are saying or doing behind closed doors. Again, I personally think you need to understand our brains Do. Not. Work. The. Same. Congratulations for you dealing with your own situation in a way that satisfies you, but don’t go out of your way to put others down. I’m not going to reply to any more of your rants, but again- you should be the most compassionate person in this situation.

Thank you. Would you leave your child in a place that you thought was unhealthy?

Debbie S

USFS just sent the following email to (I assume) all members:

Dear U.S. Figure Skating Members,

Recent news reports regarding allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct in our sport have been heartbreaking. We support all survivors, and we encourage all victims of abuse to come forward and report it to law enforcement and the U.S. Center for SafeSport or U.S. Figure Skating.

As leaders in U.S. Figure Skating, let us be very clear: U.S. Figure Skating does not tolerate abuse or misconduct and there is no place for such behavior in sports or anywhere in life. Creating and maintaining a safe environment for athletes of all ages to participate in sport is of paramount importance to U.S. Figure Skating. We want to reassure you that we are working diligently every day to provide a safe and healthy environment for all members.

We want to take this opportunity to reiterate U.S. Figure Skating’s historical record regarding athlete safety and to outline the many areas of outreach and education that U.S. Figure Skating is actively engaged in and planning for the future.

U.S. Figure Skating has a nearly two-decades history of having rules, policies and procedures in place to deter predators from participating in our sport and to address abuse and misconduct. Since May 2000, we have acted upon every reported incident of suspected sexual abuse. A timeline of these historical moments and the adoption of rules and policies can be found here; the key highlights include:

2000 – Adopted rule regarding Mandatory Reporting of sexual and physical abuse
2001 – Published banned/suspended list in SKATING; published online since 2005 at
www.usfigureskating.org
2008 – Adopted rule requiring mandatory background checks for all coaches
participating in U.S. Figure Skating sanctioned activities
2013 – Adopted SafeSport Policies
2017 - Created SafeSport department
2018 – Expanded mandatory background checks for all officials
Launched “Your Voice” Campaign to raise awareness and address reluctance
in reporting
2019 – Expanded SafeSport department by hiring full-time Education and Outreach
manager

Since 2017, the responsibility for investigating and adjudicating claims of sexual misconduct and abuse rests with the U.S. Center for SafeSport, which by federal mandate has exclusive authority and adjudication process over all allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct with no statutes of limitation. As an organization, we stand by victims of abuse and we must continue to take proactive steps to help prevent such harmful behaviors from happening in the future.

This summer, U.S. Figure Skating presented more than 50 athlete safeguarding seminars to more than 2,600 attendees at 12 camps across the nation. Age- and topic-specific presentations were given to minor athletes (under age 18), age 18-and-over athletes, parents and coaches.

Our Your Voice campaign has been shared at the club level with a goal of reaching even the youngest skaters. The campaign features our 2014 and 2018 Olympians, who encourage all members to report misconduct or abuse with the Your Voice motto: “Say something. To a parent. To a friend. To a trusted adult.”

Athletes and numerous committee members have worked with headquarters staff to share real-life situations and offer solutions to help better protect young athletes. Our team leaders for junior-level international competitions are carefully selected from a pool of applicants and receive additional athlete safeguard training. In addition, a strengthened zero-tolerance policy regarding alcohol is being implemented for athletes under the age of 21 on international teams; and an education plan is underway to ensure athletes are aware of consent and power imbalances so that they are better prepared to deal with these unfortunate societal issues as they arise in all facets of their lives.

Two-deep leadership is a cornerstone of U.S. Figure Skating’s minor athlete safeguard policies. To ensure two-deep leadership is met during an international competition, U.S. Figure Skating provides a SafeSport representative as part of the team delegation to be present during medical and manual therapy sessions and other situations that may require two-deep leadership for our Team USA athletes. This additional staff member’s primary role is to ensure U.S. Figure Skating athlete safety policies are followed and to generally be an advocate for all our athlete’s safety.

U.S. Figure Skating has enacted many mandatory athlete protection policies that are designed to minimize the risk of abuse or misconduct and can be found in U.S. Figure Skating’s SafeSport handbook. In addition, we strive to be at the forefront of athlete protection and we continue to evolve, strengthen and expand our athlete safety policies. Further information can be found on U.S. Figure Skating’s SafeSport homepage and the website for the U.S. Center for SafeSport.

These are just a few examples of the extensive work being done to protect our members, but there is always more work that can – and will – be done. Across the nation in seemingly every walk of life, allegations of sexual abuse are being brought to light, both current and past incidents of abuse. Each one of us plays a key role in keeping each other, and especially minors, safe while participating in figure skating activities. It is everyone’s responsibility to raise awareness, ensure open and supportive communication exists and educate ourselves and each other on the behaviors of sexual and non-sexual abuse and misconduct. We welcome your thoughts, and if you have specific ideas you believe will further strengthen athlete safety for skaters, please email them to [email protected].

U.S. Figure Skating fully supports all victims of sexual abuse and misconduct and encourages anyone who has been abused or suspects abuse or misconduct to immediately report it to local law enforcement and the U.S. Center for SafeSport or U.S. Figure Skating.

We all play a role in athlete protection. We all have to look out for one another. We all have to speak up. We all have to use our voices. If you are aware or even suspect abuse – report it – abuse has no place in our sport.

Sincerely,

Anne Cammett
President

David Raith
Executive Director

Mark Ladwig
Chair, Athlete Advisory Committee

Patricia St. Peter
Chair, Safesport Committee

John Anderson
Senior Director, SafeSport
Interesting that Pat St. Peter is the chair of the SafeSport Committee, given that she is one who allegedly pressured Craig Maurizi not to go public. :shuffle:

This strikes me as a lot of CYA stuff. And their "zero-tolerance" policy for alcohol use by those under 21 will probably just make younger skaters even more hesitant to come forward if they are assaulted after drinking (b/c drinking is going to happen, no matter what USFS policy is).

2sk8

USFS just sent the following email to (I assume) all members:

Interesting that Pat St. Peter is the chair of the SafeSport Committee, given that she is one who allegedly pressured Craig Maurizi not to go public. :shuffle:

This strikes me as a lot of CYA stuff. And their "zero-tolerance" policy for alcohol use by those under 21 will probably just make younger skaters even more hesitant to come forward if they are assaulted after drinking (b/c drinking is going to happen, no matter what USFS policy is).
Not everyone... At least not yet.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm not familiar with the structure of the relationship between SafeSport and the federations it involves. But how can Pat St Peter continue to be the USFS SafeSport chair with the allegations that Craig Maurizi made about her conduct? I know these are allegations, not proven, but this looks really, really bad for her to be in that position right now. Can SafeSport ask or require her to step down, at least temporarily, until those allegations are resolved?

Debbie S

Not everyone... At least not yet.
Whatever email automation tool USFS uses probably sends emails in batches, to prevent being flagged as a spammer.

Can SafeSport ask or require her to step down, at least temporarily, until those allegations are resolved?
From the email, it sounds like USFS took it upon themselves to form the committee, so no, SafeSport wouldn't have jurisdiction over the committee if that were the case.

Each club is required to have 3 SafeSport reps. Those are chosen by the club with no input from USFS or SafeSport, so I assume any USFS committee on SafeSport also operates independently.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
If this is how the parent feels about the rink, she needs to put on here big girl pants, and do what is right for her child.

As a parent you are in charge of monitoring your child's health and wellbeing. If you child wants to skate...........great. Find a place that YOU deem to be safe and nurturing.
This is what the poster actually said ---
I have not had one moment when I've felt there was any sort of risk of physical or sexual abuse to any of the skaters in our rink. If I did I would blow a whistle without hesitation whether it were for my child or any other skater. Because like I said the coaches have no leverage over the average non ambitious and non delusional skating parents.
The parent is doing nothing wrong yet you have turned the poster's comments into something else, which makes your assumptions and observations ridiculous. The focus needs to be on addressing the bad act of the perpetrator when something happens, not hurling petty remarks at parent or others. Skaters who love skating do not have to leave the sport because they witness inappropriate behavior. If that was the case, we would need to keep them from the malls, the schools and off the public streets.

Once again you instigate but do not contribute to solutions, so this will be my last post to your screeds.

AxelAnnie

This is what the poster actually said ---

The parent is doing nothing wrong yet you have turned the poster's comments into something else, which makes your assumptions and observations ridiculous. The focus needs to be on addressing the bad act of the perpetrator when something happens, not hurling petty remarks at parent or others. Skaters who love skating do not have to leave the sport because they witness inappropriate behavior. If that was the case, we would need to keep them from the malls, the schools and off the public streets.

Once again you instigate but do not contribute to solutions, so this will be my last post to your screeds.

Actually this is what she said:
We have witnessed zero inappropriate or risky behavior at our rink. HOWEVER, we have personally witnessed first hand the overall power dynamic and IMO bizarre culture of the FS world as described by Ashley and other victims. Even before they brought public attention to it. Frankly it can be chilling sometimes (no pun intended).

We are pulling our younger skater out of skating because she is equally interested in other endeavors and we just want to get away from USFS and the FS competition culture ASAP. We've got 4 more years of skating with our older skater and I'm counting down the months to get it over with.

I repeat: I took what the poster said as truly her impression. My recommendation would be to find a better rink.
If it is the entire culture of Figure Skating and competition she objects to.....find another sport.

jenniferlyon

Kind of hard to say something to a "trusted adult" when there may not be an adult that a skater feels they can trust :(

Exactly! Ashley spoke of how the team leaders were also judges, so she did not feel safe going to them after the assault. It is also hard to find a "trusted adult" in an environment where the kids are painfully aware that the adults DO know but they choose to look the other way.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Okay. If this thread is descending into arguments over who said what and what they really meant by it, I think it's done.

And for those of you who are going to say that you want to continue discussing USFS/SafeSport policies, rumor has it that you are going to get an all new topic to chew over in the next few days.

So take a breath, take a break, and give yourselves a little respite from each other, hmmm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information