Ashley Wagner Cheer Thread #3: The Subject of Tonight's Lecture...

skatfan

How is Ashley going to compete 4 Continents without her coach??? I guarantee Raf is not going to fly to Asia and back while he needs to be preparing his two skaters for the Olympics. I would love to see her there though!

When I was doing the credentialing he talked about how tired he was from all the Japan trips in the fall. He isn't going to 4CCs.

Ashley is first alternate to the Olympics, so I would imagine she'll get the same treatment as the US pairs team Kane and O'Shea - to train in Asia following 4CCs to stay in shape for being the alternate.

That said, Ashley doesn't like the 4CCs very much and has declined to go in recent years (even when it was at the Olympics rink as the test event). Raf won't go without the guys, they have to be his first priority. Couldn't Vera (his wife) go?

UGG

Sponsors Sticking By Ashley Wagner After She Fails To Make U.S. Figure Skating Team
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Da...Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Ashley-Wagner.aspx?

I am glad to hear that. She has had a long, successful career. 3x US Champ, World Silver Medalist, Olympic Team Bronze, lots of GP medals, 3 GPF podium placements, and aside from that she was a huge reason why the US has been able to send 3 ladies to worlds/Olympics since 2012. During the Caroline/Mirai/Rachel love fest years, I don't think anyone ever imagined Ashley would be a huge factor for US ladies for almost 10 years. I wrote her off after 2011. She is the most recognizable face of ladies figure skating at this time, and off ice she is is extremely entertaining. After watching everyone's programs again, I feel she was held down and understand her anger regarding 4th place. She and Karen should not have been that close in the LP, IMO. There is no reason for sponsors to drop her.

aml78

She hasn’t done 4CC in the past but she also hasn’t been dropped from top tier events in the past. The question is if she wants Nationals to be the end of her season and potentially career.

ToFarAwayTimes

I am glad to hear that. She has had a long, successful career. 3x US Champ, World Silver Medalist, Olympic Team Bronze, lots of GP medals, 3 GPF podium placements, and aside from that she was a huge reason why the US has been able to send 3 ladies to worlds/Olympics since 2012. During the Caroline/Mirai/Rachel love fest years, I don't think anyone ever imagined Ashley would be a huge factor for US ladies for almost 10 years. I wrote her off after 2011. She is the most recognizable face of ladies figure skating at this time, and off ice she is is extremely entertaining. After watching everyone's programs again, I feel she was held down and understand her anger regarding 4th place. She and Karen should not have been that close in the LP, IMO. There is no reason for sponsors to drop her.

Good post. She certainly accomplished a lot during her career. Nothing to hang her head about. Time will wash the salt away.

cbd1235

I could either see her go full out prove everyone wrong mode, and either kick ass at 4CC or come back for one extra no-holds-barred vendetta season. I could totally see her out for blood next season, if she has the motivation.

Or she would retire and rest on her very successful career, and transition into media and advocacy shortly after. But I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see just a bit more of Ashley Wagner on ice.

tylersf

Can Ashley sue USFSA? Or can a group of protestors storm USFSA headquarters? No one should resort to violence, but maybe a peaceful demonstration, or people lying down in the lobby USFSA to devote their love for Ashley?

cbd1235

Nagasu considered suing USFSA in 2014, but ultimately didn't. This was published at the time.

I don't think suing would go over well, nor do I think it's merited. She would be even more torn down by the naive public than she already has been (which has been a lot). But I definitely acknowledge and believe she was hosed by the federation and judges in the scoring.

tylersf

If Ashley fans wanted to pursue this, then can go as a group to the Olympics and do a peaceful demonstration there and bring that Ashley Bridgestone cutout from Nationals.

tylersf

Ashley's best move is to come back next year and win Nationals and Worlds, or even stick it out for another 4 years. The ex-Soviet gymnast, Oksana Chusovitina has been on the world scene since 1990 and plans to participate in the Tokyo Olympics in gymnastics. She was 41 at the Rio Olympics. Maybe Ashley can use Oksana for inspiration.

aml78

Someone referenced that Tara and Ashley didn’t get along when Tara mentored her many years ago. Is there proof of this or are people just speculating? Tara and Johnny seemed unnecessarily harsh and negative (as I often find them to be) when commentating about Ashley.

tylersf

Based on some of the violent reactions in this room, I get the impression that if they had the resources, some of the Ashley supporters (I love Ashley, but I do think we chose the correct team this time) would storm USFSA or maybe get a lawyer on behalf of Ashley and serve the USFSA. I even think that some of them would pull a "Harding" on the other skaters who were selected for the Olympics.
I think you are mixing up her fan base with Yu Na Kim's.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Based on some of the violent reactions in this room, I get the impression that if they had the resources, some of the Ashley supporters (I love Ashley, but I do think we chose the correct team this time) would storm USFSA or maybe get a lawyer on behalf of Ashley and serve the USFSA. I even think that some of them would pull a "Harding" on the other skaters who were selected for the Olympics.

Gracious, what room are you in? I'd leave there if I were you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information