As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Carry on....

I haven't gotten much reading done in the last few days, but the GF decided to read my favorite childhood book: Harriet the Spy. Of course I had to grab it and re-read favorite sections. It's been at least 25 years since I last read the book, but I can still quote entire sections :lol:

I can't overstate how profoundly that book affected me as a child :saint:

Susan1

taf2002 said "Hmm...Why google when you can have someone else do your legwork for you? I guess it's so ppl don't think you're lazy or entitled. YMMV"
So, why discuss books in this thread if you can just google the reviews?

Jenny

From the Bloc
For the love of god can we let this go already?? It's a new thread, let's talk about, say, BOOKS?

Currently reading Chris Pavonne's new book (The Ex Pats etc) The Paris Diversion and it's great so far. No jumping around in timelines this time, whole thing takes place in one day. Some characters and references to events from his previous books but I think you can enjoy without having read them or if you don't remember the details.

quartz

scratching at the light
I love Harriett the Spy. :respec:
I have several childhood favorites that I will re-read on occasion, and I also have recently purchased a bunch of new kids books from our 9-12 section. They are a nice break from the mostly historical fiction and gothic murder mysteries that I typically read.
I haven't been to the library in years, and I have no interest in e-books either. Most of my books I purchase from my store, as I get a very generous employee discount. I also will pickup books from thrift stores if they are clean, and also occasionally order online if my store doesn't have what I want. Last week I counted my un-read fiction titles, and stopped once I hit 70. :wideeyes: Which means I probably have at least 100. Buying them takes less time than reading them! :lol:

emason

I buy books from Amazon and from the independent bookstores in my area. In all of Queens, we now have 3 independents and it's easy for me to get to any one of them by public transportation; the independents have book groups and author events. I do have a library card, both for Queens and for Manhattan; I use the library cards to borrow e-books and I do go to author events at NYPL. I just don't take out hardcovers from the library; there's no need to as I have an apartment full at home. I prefer hardcovers and paperbacks, but there are moments when a Kindle and an e-book are better; public transportation for example. An e-book weighs less than an 800-page hardcover and is just the right thing for a subway ride or a vacation trip where you don't want to fill your suitcase with a dozen books.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I've never read Harriet the Spy. Am I too old to enjoy it?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Unless I know the author or am really intrigued by the premise, I download free ebooks. Most I read a couple of chapters and delete, but some have prompted me to buy additional books by the author. Some are books I might not have bought otherwise. For example, I'm not a big fan of paranormal, but Cherise Sinclair's book Hour of the Lion hooked me enough to buy the rest of her paranormals and most of her other contemporary series as well. I don't buy hard copies unless they are non-fiction science books.

genevieve

Staff member
I've never read Harriet the Spy. Am I too old to enjoy it?
I don't think so! It is definitely a kid's book (not for little kids, but also not written like contemporary YA fiction), but I think there's a lot in there that works on an adult level. It does have a particular type of humor that may not appeal to everyone, but I think that's more a matter of taste.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I love Harriett the Spy. :respec:
I have several childhood favorites that I will re-read on occasion, and I also have recently purchased a bunch of new kids books from our 9-12 section.
I am nervous to read books that I loved as a child. I want my memory of them and sometimes they don't hold up. I do read new YA if it looks interesting.

Loved Harriet the Spy. Isn't there a movie of that book? I keep saying I will watch it. Some day.

genevieve

Staff member
Loved Harriet the Spy. Isn't there a movie of that book? I keep saying I will watch it. Some day.
The film has Rosie O’Donnell as Ole Golly. Wrong casting in a par with Delores Umbridge in the 5th Harry Potter film :scream:

Susan1

I am nervous to read books that I loved as a child. I want my memory of them and sometimes they don't hold up. I do read new YA if it looks interesting.

I don't even remember reading Harriet the Spy. I think I have mentioned on here before that my favorite childhood book was The Secret Language by Ursula Nordstrom. I probably checked it out of the library a couple times a year. I still remember "ickenspick" "ankendosh" "leebosa". We used to play "boarding school".

Every few years I read all of my Little House books around Christmas. They are only a couple of hours each. I don't like reading The Long Winter if our weather is bad though. I feel like I will be stuck in the house with no food for a week.

pat c

I’m still a child so I don’t need to fear that my favorites won’t hold up. I’ve been reading The Hobbit since I was 9 and its magic never ceases.

I re-read this one every few years. Some of the books that I read as a kid haven't held up, but it did point me to the genre that I like to read regularly. I am waiting for Louise Penny's new book to come out this summer.

Has anyone re-read Jules Verne's books? I haven't read them in years. Do they hold up?

taf2002

I don't think so! It is definitely a kid's book (not for little kids, but also not written like contemporary YA fiction), but I think there's a lot in there that works on an adult level. It does have a particular type of humor that may not appeal to everyone, but I think that's more a matter of taste.

Thanks, I'll try to get it on Kindle.

The film has Rosie O’Donnell as Ole Golly. Wrong casting in a par with Delores Umbridge in the 5th Harry Potter film :scream:

I liked the actress who did Dolores Umbridge in the movie but that's probably because I can't remember what the book Dolores was like. And I can't remember what happened to her in the book or movie. Did she end up in Askerban for her crimes?

Susan1

p.s. good thread title. When I was in an adult figure skating club, we were going to write an expose of the club and rink and rec center goings-on called "As the Three Turns".

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I’m still a child so I don’t need to fear that my favorites won’t hold up. I’ve been reading The Hobbit since I was 9 and its magic never ceases.
I don't consider The Hobbit to be a children's book though.

taf2002

I tried to read The Hobbit but I couldn't get past the first few pages. Lately I only read escapist type books. My fav are the Regency romances but I've run out of good authors of that genre.

gkelly

I read The Hobbit when I was 14. Then I tried to read Lord of the Rings but only made it to halfway through the second book. That was one of about three trilogies I read approximately half of during high school.

In college I tried LotR again and managed to finish it. But by then I was continually annoyed by the dearth of female characters.

PDilemma

I tried to read The Hobbit but I couldn't get past the first few pages. Lately I only read escapist type books. My fav are the Regency romances but I've run out of good authors of that genre.

I attempted to read The Hobbit for a fantasy lit class in college. In addition to the required books, there was a list of other novels we had to pick two from and write about them. It was on the list and someone had given me a copy so it seemed convenient.

I fell asleep three pages in four or five times then gave up and picked a different book. Never even attempted any of the others or the movies.

hanca

Values her privacy
I read The Hobbit when I was 14. Then I tried to read Lord of the Rings but only made it to halfway through the second book. That was one of about three trilogies I read approximately half of during high school.

In college I tried LotR again and managed to finish it. But by then I was continually annoyed by the dearth of female characters.
For me it was easier to read Lord of the Rings books than watch the films. In the books I found there a story line, whereas watching the film I somehow couldn’t see the story - they travelled and travelled and travelled, three hours gone and they still travelled. And then second film, another three hours, and still travelled. Travelled at the beginning and still travelled at the end. It was quite a relief when in the third film, after nine hours in total (all three films) they finally got there. (Alright, I may be exaggerating a bit, but not that much!)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I read the books in high school and really liked them. But hated the movies. And am not in the class of people who read them over and over.

I went through a Regency Romance period ages ago but ran out of good authors and also they have changed over the decades to have more and more sex and most authors can't write sex scenes so they have gotten less enjoyable to me over time.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Thanks, I'll try to get it on Kindle.

I liked the actress who did Dolores Umbridge in the movie but that's probably because I can't remember what the book Dolores was like. And I can't remember what happened to her in the book or movie. Did she end up in Askerban for her crimes?
At the end of OOTP, Umbridge was carried off into the Forbidden Forest by a Centaur, rescued by Dumbledore and not heard of again until book 7 where she lies about her lineage and is in charge of sending Muggle borns to Askaban. She gets the locket from Mundungus. Harry, Ron and Hermionie have to go into the Ministry of Magic to get it (it's a horcrux). Their botched escape is what sets them off on the long period of nothing except living in the tent and Ron being an idiot.

I loved the Hobbit. It had much more humor than the LOTR trilogy (which I also loved and have read multiple times).

Japanfan

I loved LOTR but read it a long time ago and don't know if could get through again today.

Speaking of YA, Juliet Marillier's 'Sevenwaters' series comes to mind. At least I think it was YA! Regardless, I think I'm due for a third reread.

Also loved 'Foxmask' and 'Wolfskin' by Marillier.

Goodness, I am really in dire need of some new titles/authors. Right now I'm reading 'The Chemist' by Stephanie Meyer. I'm slow to get in to it, but that is often the case with books - and why I prefer series. I previously enjoyed the 'The Host' by Meyer very much.

puglover

I thought there were usually a number of easy read at the beach books that came out around now. I haven't noticed many this year.

quartz

scratching at the light
Still :drama: over the lack of love for The Hobbit.

Dwarves! Elves! Trolls! Giant Spiders! Wizards! Cursed Forest! Songs! Ancient Tales! Goblins! Riddles! Sorcery! Legendary Swords! Enchanted Ring! Gold! Smaug the Dragon! The Quest! Adventure! Travels! Ponies! Magic! Eagles! Rhymes! Treasure! Gollum! The Arkenstone! Bravery! Maps! Secret Doors! Mountains! Battles! Giants! Courage! Deception! Revenge! Grudges! Alliances! Good! Evil! Invisibility! Secrets!

All this within 300 pages, and accomplished with a complete lack of clean handkerchiefs and proper teatime. This is total :kickass:
What more can you ask for - its friggin BRILLIANT.

kalamalka

I've never read any Tolkein, although I tried back in high school about 50 years ago (I had a friend who was very into Tolkein, and in fact we used to write notes to one another in Tengwar script - I learned and was intrigued by that but it still didn't get me into the books), and again around the time the movies were coming out.
For some reason, I've been a SF fan since elementary school, but just haven't been able to get into much fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information