America's Favorite Escape- Baseball ⚾️

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsZem

I see the sea
I missed this when he posted the statement, but Ian Desmond's explanation of why he's opting out of the season, and what's wrong with baseball these days, is excellent:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
And the season is supposed to start tonight for the Nationals, and Juan Soto has just tested positive for coronavirus.

I mean, what the heck did they expect to happen?

How long til they shut it all down?

Susan1

Reds "opening day" is on right now. No fans. There's just a low background crowd noise (like if you put your hands up to your mouth and go hhhhhh"). Couldn't they play music or something, like they do normally between innings? And they aren't in the dugout either. We-ird! They said they are working on being able to have 20% attendance soon. Cincinnati, with the third highest number of cases in the state?

Last edited:

Susan1

Reds "opening day" is on right now. No fans. There's just a low background crowd noise (like if you put your hands up to your mouth and go hhhhhh"). Couldn't they play music or something, like they do normally between innings? And they aren't in the dugout either. We-ird! They said they are working on being able to have 20% attendance soon. Cincinnati, with the third highest number of cases in the state?
p.s. starting Monday you can buy a cutout of yourself to put in the seat for $75. And you can have it back at the end of the season.

The coaches were standing at the railing wearing masks. And more players ended up in the dugout as the game went on. The groundskeepers got to sit in the stands.

A really good player who came here from Japan, the first one the Reds have ever had, wanted to play here. He came to spring training and then baseball went kapooey. His first American game he got a hit. And he made a great play in left field, ran right into the wall.

I had to watch the whole rest of the game after Jeopardy! was over.

They sang God Bless America at the 7th inning stretch. After they won, they did the going down the line shaking hands/high fiving, only with forearm bumps.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
For today. Doesn't mean he won't in the next (looks at calendar) 10 days or so.
Let's hope he won't. Nobody outside the Marlins organization has tested positive so far, and it would be great if it stayed that way.

The Braves left their regular catchers at home for the season-opening road trip as both were sick. Flowers and d'Arnaud have repeatedly tested negative for CV since then. Not every person with cold symptoms is going to turn out to have the alternative.

Rob

Beach Bum
Let's hope he won't. Nobody outside the Marlins organization has tested positive so far, and it would be great if it stayed that way.

The Braves left their regular catchers at home for the season-opening road trip as both were sick. Flowers and d'Arnaud have repeatedly tested negative for CV since then. Not every person with cold symptoms is going to turn out to have the alternative.
Actually Juan Soto was positive and there are rumors Victor Robles missed Summer camp because he was too. I think they were all on the same charters from the DR.

MsZem

I see the sea
The bad news: another Marlins player tested positive.
The good news: nobody outside the Marlins organization (and the visiting clubhouse attendant) seems to have gotten it.

Actually Juan Soto was positive and there are rumors Victor Robles missed Summer camp because he was too. I think they were all on the same charters from the DR.
I meant since the season started; of course there were players who tested positive before the season and missed Summer Camp or even part of the season (the Braves had several). It did not happen as part of baseball activities, though.

BTW, Soto has been cleared to return:
You would think that all this will make players hesitant about playing, but after initially opting out of the season, Atlanta's Nick Markakis has changed his mind.

hoptoad

I missed this when he posted the statement, but Ian Desmond's explanation of why he's opting out of the season, and what's wrong with baseball these days, is excellent:
Thanks, I missed this entirely. I'm sure he'll make an impact back home and hopefully his whole family will stay well.

MsZem

I see the sea
This is great!
I love that some teams are sending foul balls/home run balls to fans whose cardboard cutout is hit :)
"My first A's game was when I was 5 years old (1973) and I've gone to many, many A's games over the years. Never have I been close to catching a foul ball or home run!" Lovelady wrote in an e-mail. "Thanks to my family and co-workers, who bought me the cutout, my long drought is over!"

MsZem

I see the sea
There are also reports that the Marlins had another player test positive today. Among the Phillies, it's apparently a coach and a member of the support staff.
Obviously nobody in the STL org could have gotten it from the Marlins. All this points to the difficulty of keeping a season going outside an NBA-like bubble, which does not seem doable for MLB. It's hard to say whether it'll be feasible at all to continue.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I think the regional schedule approach was a good one. Unfortunately, regions needed to include Florida and Texas.

MsZem

I see the sea
I think the regional schedule approach was a good one. Unfortunately, regions needed to include Florida and Texas.
STL hasn't played in either state - they had an exhibition vs. KC, opened the season at home vs. Pittsburgh and then went to Minnesota. The Marlins outbreak may have started after someone decided to go out while playing preseason games in Atlanta.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Tonight is the Yankees home opener. They introduced (to an empty stadium) first responders/essential workers. Instead of applauding the Yankee players banged on garage can lids.

It was a great sight gag.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I hope people saw the end of game 4, it was insane. All these games have been riveting!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Justin Turner got a positive test result during the game (from a test he'd taken earlier) and was pulled from the game and isolated. Then when the Dodgers won the Series, he ran out onto the field and posed for photos without wearing a mask. Apparently he was also abusive to the stadium security staff who tried to get him to go back into the isolation room :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information