Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballettmaus

Why can’t her husband Liam take care of Amilia while Aliona is training or is he not in the US?
It probably depends on the type of visa she has (if it permits her to bring her spouse) and if he can run the business from the US. Even if his business is based overseas, it's possible he'd need a work visa and/or that there are tax implications. Or maybe it's as simple as he can't run it from the US?

Jammers

This is the most insane story ever. I always thought Michael Jordan was the most driven athlete i have ever seen but this takes the cake though when i think about it he took the same road as Aliona. He had the perfect ending to his career all set up for him hitting the game winning shot to win a 6th championship with the Bulls but came back a few years later not the same player and playing for a shitty team. Sure he still had some great moments but he really should have ended his career on top and he didn't because he was so driven.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
In the sole scope of Savchenko potentially continuing on as a competitor, I say all the power in the world to her. She has shown zero sign of slowing down both pre and post-child. Remember she was out skating singles landing amazing 3T+3T at one point.

Fans often cringe at the idea of skaters who can never quite ‘let go’ and skate beyond their years, but they then cringe at skaters who leave the sport and then aren’t moving on to something spectacular or interesting. But what if it’s not about letting go and it’s just something they really want to do? Alena Leonova skated for years and years with maybe one bigger international and never any ISU Championships yet she skated a brilliant, elegant SP in NHK just a few seasons ago- my favorite program from her by a mile, and she really seemed to love her skating in the later days, too.

It’s just weird to me to read people making comments about how she’s past her prime (but is she?) or should hang up the skates or will never reach 2018 again. Do actors retire once they win an Oscar or Emmy? No, and they most likely have some clunkers along the way following that peak. We don’t know what her end goal is, but I surely know that most of us (myself included) never thought 2018… or even medals starting in 2016.. was going to happen.

Sylvia

TBD
Google translated excerpt of Nina Mozer's comments about Nyman:
"This is TJ. A talented guy. It was to him that Nadia Labazina went. But the quarantine put an end to it. Nadia returned to Russia in January, and she is doing well together with Alexei Sviatchenko. TJ is an American copy of Trankov. Blind osteopath Jorge Fernandez two years ago he said that their body structure is similar. On the junior world two years ago he performed with an American of Chinese descent Sarah Feng. He is half English, half Swede. Very artistic, with a triple axel. And also very charismatic. " Mozer said.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

In the sole scope of Savchenko potentially continuing on as a competitor, I say all the power in the world to her. She has shown zero sign of slowing down both pre and post-child. Remember she was out skating singles landing amazing 3T+3T at one point.

Fans often cringe at the idea of skaters who can never quite ‘let go’ and skate beyond their years, but they then cringe at skaters who leave the sport and then aren’t moving on to something spectacular or interesting. But what if it’s not about letting go and it’s just something they really want to do? Alena Leonova skated for years and years with maybe one bigger international and never any ISU Championships yet she skated a brilliant, elegant SP in NHK just a few seasons ago- my favorite program from her by a mile, and she really seemed to love her skating in the later days, too.

It’s just weird to me to read people making comments about how she’s past her prime (but is she?) or should hang up the skates or will never reach 2018 again. Do actors retire once they win an Oscar or Emmy? No, and they most likely have some clunkers along the way following that peak. We don’t know what her end goal is, but I surely know that most of us (myself included) never thought 2018… or even medals starting in 2016.. was going to happen.
One of my personal heroes is the gymnast, Oksana Chusovitina. She first competed on the world stage in 1990, and is still going strong 31 years later.

VGThuy

I’m not one to push people out before they’re ready. I think they could continue to place last at Nationals and should still keep going if they want to because honestly, in the grand scope of things, continuing an elite skating career is NOT common and kind of an amazing thing. Plus, even if place last at Nationals, guess what? You made it to Nationals and someone from some random city or even country might be catching you in a stream.

That said, I think what’s giving this particular decision a sense of desperation is her choice of partner (loaded with baggage) and people looking at past behavior with her previous partners. People don’t like seeing their grand heroes start living their delusions or acting out in desperation due to an inability to come to terms psychologically of letting go. However, it remains to be seen if this is even the case with Savchenko AND there are some issues with the idea of letting go when you have the means and enough skill to continue.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Google translated excerpt of Nina Mozer's comments about Nyman:
Mozer is such a racist. Why does she need to identify everyone's ethnicity? WTF difference does it make.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
This is the most insane story ever. I always thought Michael Jordan was the most driven athlete i have ever seen but this takes the cake though when i think about it he took the same road as Aliona. He had the perfect ending to his career all set up for him hitting the game winning shot to win a 6th championship with the Bulls but came back a few years later not the same player and playing for a shitty team. Sure he still had some great moments but he really should have ended his career on top and he didn't because he was so driven.
Well, maybe Tim Tebow can partner with her if his attempt to play an entirely different position for the Jaguars doesn't pan out (speaking of athletes who don't know when to let it go...).

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m not one to push people out before they’re ready. I think they could continue to place last at Nationals and should still keep going if they want to because honestly, in the grand scope of things, continuing an elite skating career is NOT common and kind of an amazing thing. Plus, even if place last at Nationals, guess what? You made it to Nationals and someone from some random city or even country might be catching you in a stream.

That said, I think what’s giving this particular decision a sense of desperation is her choice of partner (loaded with baggage) and people looking at past behavior with her previous partners. People don’t like seeing their grand heroes start living their delusions or acting out in desperation due to an inability to come to terms psychologically of letting go. However, it remains to be seen if this is even the case with Savchenko AND there are some issues with the idea of letting go when you have the means and enough skill to continue.
Yes exactly.

For me, this would have been a feel good story except for her choice of partner and coach.

I don’t even feel that bad for Bruno considering she asked him to make a come back and skate with her and he said no.

So he knew that competing was what she wanted to pursue.

Sure it must suck for him to miss out on doing shows but she didn’t completely blind-side him by returning to competition.

If she wants to compete, and she can do it, she should. Just not like this….

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yes exactly.

For me, this would have been a feel good story except for her choice of partner and coach.

I don’t even feel that bad for Bruno considering she asked him to make a come back and skate with her and he said no.

So he knew that competing was what she wanted to pursue.

Sure it must suck for him to miss out on doing shows but she didn’t completely blind-side him by returning to competition.

If she wants to compete, and she can do it, she should. Just not like this….
What shows?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Aljona and Bruno did get together to practice for/perform in the Golden Skate Awards show that was held in Italy back in February: http://www.goldenskate.it/
One event. Is she supposed to sit around waiting for others while Bruno is starting his coaching career in France? Especially, since she doesn't like show skating anyway. She gave him first option to return to competition and he turned it down. That's on him and not her.

Sylvia

TBD
One event. Is she supposed to sit around waiting for others while Bruno is starting his coaching career in France?
No. I just mentioned it because I recall Aljona using it to tease fans about their possible comeback. :)

ETA - copying over what I had posted in the Savchenko/Massot retirement thread about his coaching plans:

Bruno Massot shared his plans in this March 26 post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CM325-enYms/
Below the French version:

Back to the sources

I finished most of my dreams, but one left I wanted to accomplish with Jean François Ballester.
It is now time to realize this last dream.
You can find me soon in Caen, France, as a coach, at the Acsel Club, where everything started with Jeff.
So it is with the support of @caenofficiel , @acselcaenpatinage , @regionnormandie , @ffsportsdeglace that I wish to create a high-level training centre for couples and individual.
With the current events, it is time to bounce and evolve over and over again,
So see you soon #neverenough #dreambig #caen #figureskating

Announcement on the club's website (plus photos):

A couples and high-level training and training center in Caen
After a few weeks of work, reflection and consultation, we have the honor and the pleasure to announce the return of Bruno MASSOT to ACSEL Caen, this time as a coach.

The (re) establishment of this Couples and High-Level training center will strengthen the training capacity of ACSEL and offer a complete offer in the development of athletes in Ice Sports, from leisure to very high level.

Of course, Bruno will intervene on all sporting levels and with all ACSEL licensees!

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
She could compete until she was 90 years old and I'd lead her cheering section, just as long as she wasn't skating with a sexual predator.
Exactly, no one's questioning why she wants to compete, only WHO she wants to compete with. Having a baby changes your body yes, but doesn't mean you can't keep doing what you love.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
She could compete until she was 90 years old and I'd lead her cheering section, just as long as she wasn't skating with a sexual predator.
This exactly! I would love to cheer her on to compete as long as she's able. She's an amazing skater, and I love seeing people push past the bounds of what people think is the usual expiration date on being a competitive athlete. Chellsie Memmel is an amazing example of this in gymnastics.

The choice of coach and partner though...that's where my issue stems from. In the end I hope she gets what she wants out of this partnership, but I can't say I'll be cheering them on.

wickedwitch

The choice of coach and partner though...that's where my issue stems from. In the end I hope she gets what she wants out of this partnership, but I can't say I'll be cheering them on.
Honestly, I don't. Her actions have the potential to hurt so many people that she's lost me as a fan. Even if she switched partners after this season, I wouldn't ever be able to forget that she willingly partnered with a sexual predator with no obvious concern for the girls at the rink he might be hurting now or in the future. She's given him legitimacy, which can be used to cause more harm, and that action cannot be undone.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
She can skate as long as she wants. Selecting a junior partner with little or not experience with Olympic (and the highest level) is a bit strange.

Maybe she will pull a Tom Brady and make a low level team to the Super Bowl of skating. I suppose it's possible.

Whether or not TJ is guilty of sexual harassment (or worse) - he is under investigation. Maybe he has been working/improving in his skills over the last year, I dont know. It just seems weird and possibly not a wise career move, of course JMO.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I know next to nothing about Nyman.

Has he been criminally indicted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information