Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylark

TJ may not have competed for a while but I think he’s going to be a stronger partner, skating wise, than people realise. He can jump and I’d be very surprised if he has any trouble throwing Aljona.

Besides, Aljona was in Monument for at least a week at the end of April or the beginning of May, so I’ve no doubt she skated with TJ then. I can’t imagine her doing this unless she thought they could succeed on an International level.

I’ve no idea what Aljona’s long term plans may be, so this is going to be very interesting to watch and see what happens.

I know she missed competing, but I didn’t expect this. Skating never fails to surprise.

I agree. I remembered Aljona being reported as saying that when she picked Bruno, she specifically wanted someone who could throw her higher in twists and throw jumps. So I looked up TJ's height. If Wiki can be believed, he's one and a half inches taller than Bruno. And he's had a long time to develop strength as a pairs partner since he competed with Feng. Charlie White recently said that between the ages of 19 and 22, he was able to develop muscle power in a comparatively remarkable way. Testosterone.

Well, something no one has mentioned is what a much more remarkable pairs skater Aljona became with Bruno in terms of connection and communicating very small nuances and details to audiences that made such a difference in their impact. IMO of course, but Bruno gave a wonderful interview with Ice Network about it. He didn't take sole credit for it, but he said the team worked on those small details. Also, my impression was that she was able to be receptive and relaxed in a new way with Bruno, their coaching team of Konig and Ballester, and her husband Liam. It's not just speculation, she said so in an interview but I'm sorry, I don't have a link.

So on several levels, it will be interesting to see what develops.

skylark

If Nyman can throw her and do the lifts, then they could win US nationals. Her jumps are stronger than any US female pair skater. Even if they can't go to the Olympics, they could be sent to 4CC. Based on what she wants, the partner change could happen between the Olympics and Worlds or certainly after Worlds. Then the replacement, and I think there will be, can focus on a World's medal, especially if Sui/Han retire after the Olympics and possibly Tarasova/Morozov. She could give US pairs something they haven't had in over a decade. Which is as much a statement about the US pairs as it is about her desire to compete. I don't think she'll ever be a successful coach because she doesn't have the patience and wants to do it herself. She doesn't need a coach at all. She just needs a facilitator and a male partner who can get her in the air and land the jumps.

They could be sent to Worlds and potentially help the US earn 3 spots for the next worlds and subsequent ones.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Regarding the "even if he is a predator Aljona is tough and she can take care of herself" comments - that's not the point. No one in a skating partnership should have to be concerned about whether their partner is going to abuse them, regardless of how strong they are themselves. And even if they don't see that as an issue for them personally, which Aljona apparently doesn't, it sends a horrible message when a federation has all sorts of policies about safe spaces, respect, and inclusion, but allows a skater with multiple allegations of abuse and harassment to participate in its programs and competitions.

Last edited:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Regarding the "even if he is a predator Aljona is tough and she can take care of herself" comments - that's not the point. No one in a skating partnership should have to be concerned about whether their partner is going to abuse them, regardless of how strong they are themselves. And even if they don't see that as an issue for them, which Aljona apparently doesn't, it sends a horrible message when a federation has all sorts of policies about safe spaces, respect, and inclusion, but allows a skater with multiple allegations of abuse and harassment to participate in its programs and competitions.

this!!! and it also sends a horrible message from Aljona herself - she is a highly decorated skater and sure to be an idol for many pairs girls. She is clearly sending a message that abusers are welcome in the sport, that the victims don't matter, and in general supporting status quo.

That sucks. And as mentioned else where, being 'strong' or mature doesn't mean abusers can't find a way to tear you down, but even outside of that - Aljona is mature and old enough that she should know what sort of message this sends. She is not caught up in a partnership already, she choose to do this, with this specific guy. And I'm over it.

Right now I'm wondering - if USFA assigns them to SKAM, should I ask for my tickets to be refunded? get up and leave when they skate? I'm furious at a whole other level - pulling a guy best left forgotten into the brightest spotlight.

Last edited:

chameleonster

Additionally, Aljona if anything is a draw for young, vulnerable girls. She both adds a layer of legitimacy, because well, surely this legendary and respected skater would not skate with TJ if the rumors were true, right? Maybe it wasn't that bad. And any young pair girl would love to talk to Aljona even for just five minutes, let alone to get the opportunity to train in close quarters or talk to her at length. Even girls who might have previously been keeping their distance from him might be tempted to let their guard down.

Just massively, unbelievably irresponsible and disappointing from everyone involved.

canbelto

One thing I've noticed is that Aljona has the younger skaters in the rink take care of Amilia while she skates. If she skates with TJ that's definitely something a parent should worry about. ANd in other news, I don't get why she doesn't send Amilia to daycare. A busy rink isn't even the best place for an infant.

VGThuy

Aliona is not superhuman. She’s just as susceptible to being victimized as most women are. I also think some are knowingly or unknowingly posting in a way that actually uses her as a way to trash other women.

With that out of the way, there’s a whole lot more to be concerned about regarding her choice of partner other than whatever dangers she could be inviting to herself and to those around her.

ballettmaus

But I'm not sure that's Aljona's issue. She knows she can coach and skate in shows, she's done both for years. I think she just loves to compete and doesn't want to give that up yet, while she's still physically able.
I think most skaters/athletes have options or know what options are out there. But preparing for a competition is a very different feeling than preparing for a show or coaching or doing another job. It does something with you, it elicits a certain emotional response and I think that's one of the reasons why transitioning is difficult for some because they miss that feeling.

Orm Irian

I think anyone who has spent most of their lives in high level or even mid-level sports have a very difficult time transitioning to real life. I look at football, basketball, Olympic sports of any flavor, even those who only compete at a college level, many many of them haven't thought about life post sports. Some have, but not many.
This is very true. I remember many of Australia's great swimmers in particular - people like Ian Thorpe and Grant Hackett - having great mental and emotional difficulties when trying to transition out of sport and into other careers. Elite athletes really do need a lot of support, and not just after they've made a decision to retire but throughout their careers so that they're not dealing with the practical logistics of career change at the same time as they're dealing with the emotional burden of retirement, especially if that retirement is forced on them by injury. And having that support present throughout their careers can help blunt the feeling of not knowing what else to do with their lives too, and make it easier to move on.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Stupid question - has TJ gotten the skill.level of a senior level? I thought his latest comps were at the junior level.

kittyjake5

One thing I've noticed is that Aljona has the younger skaters in the rink take care of Amilia while she skates. If she skates with TJ that's definitely something a parent should worry about. ANd in other news, I don't get why she doesn't send Amilia to daycare. A busy rink isn't even the best place for an infant.
Why can’t her husband Liam take care of Amilia while Aliona is training or is he not in the US?

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Well, your original post said "I weep for the Knierims." "The Knierims" won't be on the podium in any case.
Spiritually,Chris is very much still part of the team and therefore would be denied a place on that podium.
Hi, Johnny Weir! Nice of you to join this discussion!
For those here who are preoccupied with trying to get under my skin and discredit my 40 years of figure skating expertise,take notes—THIS is how you do it. Insinuating I am the most ill-prepared and least articulate television commentator in history (perhaps excluding Rosalyn Summers) infinitely rankles me. Besides,I would never wear such theatrical garish flamboyant attire, even if we may be the same size. Rest assured my wardrobe is refined and chic.

-BB

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Stupid question - has TJ gotten the skill.level of a senior level? I thought his latest comps were at the junior level.
What is the difference between junior & senior skills? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a reverse axel lasso lift, but since this is a new team they'll be learning all their lifts again from scratch.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
What is the difference between junior & senior skills? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a reverse axel lasso lift, but since this is a new team they'll be learning all their lifts again from scratch.
That's why I was asking. We talk about skaters or teams looking juniorish all the time.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
That's why I was asking. We talk about skaters or teams looking juniorish all the time.
Exactly. There are posters on this forum who still consider the reigning World Champions and the reigning European Champions to look "Juniorish". And here we have a woman in her late 30s teaming up with a 21-year-old who has only appeared in junior competitions so far and A LOT of people are expecting them to succeed (see Savchenko's stories on Instagram and the German fans on fb).

I am already tired of discussing this topic, so I am just going to lean back in my very comfortable armchair, wait, and watch the drama unfold while enjoying a nice drink to go with it.

Japanfan

Re Aljona ... I thought it was pretty clear over all the years that she is a ruthless, singularly self-focused individual who will do anything to reach her goals and to the heck with anyone else.
Self-focused I get, but could explain what you mean by 'ruthless' and 'anything'.

Most elite athletes will do anything to reach their goals, within reason. Especially one who is especially driven, and a candidate for gold.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Thats assuming that Aliona "can" bring TJ up a lot of levels. He is not a strong skater. He would need a learning curve that perhaps not even Jesus could attain in 8 months.

How do they even know each other? How have their paths even crossed. Sorry there’s just too many posts in this thread for me to go back page by page to try to find out if this has been answered. Wow so much strange news yesterday. I prefer the queer news from the skaters instead

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I wonder if Eric Radford had not paired with Vanessa a few months ago if he would’ve been an option for her. He definitely has the height that she seems to want from a partner!

And of course much more of a world class level of her caliber being a two time world champion, on the Olympic podium with her and Bruno and everything.

Has TJ ever skated at a Grand Prix?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It was the first time I ever saw something like that and I don't know if they have the same for skaters or other athletes but I think they definitely should. The difficulty and mental impact of transitioning from a life dictated by sport to after shouldn't be underestimated.
There have been similar programs in the US since the 1980's: I met a woman who may have founded the first, independent program at Jacob's Pillow back then. (ETA: met her at Jacob's Pillow, not that her program was affiliated with the festival.)

Now different companies have their own programs, too, for their dancers. For example, Pacific Northwest Ballet has a program called Second Stage, where every dancer has an allocation of money that can be used for towards degrees, technical training, and certifications, or to start a business of their own. They come up with a business plan, and they can get mentoring by board members or their connections. It's to get them thinking about a post-dance career. Some thrive with the program. Others take a path and find out it's not for them, which is nice to learn when you have a job. Others leave the company without knowing what to do next, and not that many seem temperamentally suited to an unstructured life, at least for long. They have to be receptive, and for those who live on performance and adrenaline, the "real" world can take some getting used to.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Okay, but getting married and having a child would seem to me a major way of finding purpose outside of competing... just sayin'.
Whatever one thinks of Savchenko's decisions with respect to her skating career, she can hardly be faulted for wanting a purpose beyond having a family.

(has there ever been any statement that actually needed a 'just sayin' at the end?)

skateboy

Whatever one thinks of Savchenko's decisions with respect to her skating career, she can hardly be faulted for wanting a purpose beyond having a family.

(has there ever been any statement that actually needed a 'just sayin' at the end?)
My apologies. I have deleted my post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information