Adam speaks his mind on US leader chosen for the Oympic delegation

Japanfan

But I am still glowing from Brenda's enthusiastic (almost orgasmic) endorsement of Playtex tampons.

:confused:

What of it? Sanitary products are advertised on TV all the time. I'm sure this wasn't Vacarro's proudest moment, but she probably needed the job at the time.

lala

Did Johnny Weir really need to say he was gay??? I mean come on people. And does anyone really need to hear/know who someone wants to have sex with. Yuck! Straight or gay keep it in the bedroom.

This.

jenny12

Well, we disagree. But I am still glowing from Brenda's enthusiastic (almost orgasmic) endorsement of Playtex tampons.

Disagree with what? That people have the right to be heinously bigoted? On one side, people want the right to live freely as who they are. On the other side, a man thinks they can change who they are with therapy and it’s more important to pay for that than AIDS/HIV research. These aren’t even stances. One is about equality and one is about bigotry. It would be like saying “oh well, everyone has a right to his/her opinion” when we are comparing neo-Nazis to those who opposing them. One group is the perpetrator of bigotry and the other is fighting against them. There is nothing to disagree with here unless you disagree with the humanity of lgbtq+ people.

sadya

When people share their stories, it helps other people so much who go through something similar. One of my children is part of LGBQT+ and hearing from other people, helped both of us. We talked to people who shared a lot of personal information. That meant so much! What my child is going through, is even more complicated than usual. So I am very grateful when someone opens up, talks about these issues. It also helps to make this more a part of mainstream thinking instead of thinking about it as being something different, when a public figure opens up.

Some people say 'why are gay people telling us about their sexuality? we don't want to deal with that, they are pushing their sexuality in public domain, keep it private, etc.' They never think about the fact that every day life is filled with heterosexuality everywhere, from magazines to posters to billboards. We are so used to it that we don't even realise how much heterosexuality is part of the public domain in every day life. As soon as gay people advertise or campaign, then many people do object tot that. Big problem with the way our society thinks. And this is everywhere, even in the Netherlands.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Bumping this thread back up.

I'm totally digging Adam's Instagram posts:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Beznwsol4Rw/

It's a long shot, but has there been any movement to draft Adam as Team USA's flag bearer at the opening ceremonies? I wouldn't mind seeing a social media campaign where we ask Team USA, USFS, and fellow Olympic athletes to do so.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Should be any time now. According to this story...
http://www.espn.com/oly/summer08/news/story?id=3521480

...linked off this Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flag_bearers_for_the_United_States_at_the_Olympics

...Team USA's 2008 flag bearer was chosen on a Wednesday for a Friday night ceremony.

If the vote has already happened, then there has been no announcement from Team USA.

Evan Bates would have a say in it as he is Team USA's figure skating team captain. According to the Wikipedia link, it's the U.S. team captains who decide.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I’m loving Adam’s outspokenness, but if you want to campaign for flag bearer, times a wastin’.:D

The only flag bearer of recent times that I know who was chosen to make a “statement”, was Lopez Lomong, a track athlete (1500 or 5000 meters, I don’t even remember) who was one of the “Lost Boys of the Sudan”, who was flag bearer at the 2008 Beijing games. I believe at that time China was supporting the Sudan government that had caused the emigration of the Sudanese, so it was also seen as political. I remember reports at the time that Lomong had “campaigned” for the honor, which was seen as bad form.

My money is on Lindsey Vonn;)

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
From this article, Lindsey Vonn reveals she hasn't been chosen to be flag bearer, which implies that someone already has been chosen:

Vonn is scheduled to meet with the international media Friday afternoon in Pyeongchang before walking in the opening ceremonies. Her first scheduled event, the Super G, is not until Saturday, Feb. 17.

The four-time Olympian said Thursday she had not been chosen to be the American flag-bearer. The United States has not yet formally announced who will carry the flag for the opening ceremonies.

Willin

@UMBS Go Blue With the whole Tiger Woods mess, I wasn't expecting her to be flag bearer. I am surprised that NBC is using her so heavily in advertising since she's probably better known for that then her great skiing.

My bets are on Sean White, Ted Ligety, Lindsay Jacobellis, Shani Davis, or Kelly Clark. I think in name recognition, Sean White would get it, but Shani Davis wins the medal count with 4 medals total, so he's also a leading choice.

I think if Adam had been more times he could easily be captain of the USFS team or even the flag bearer, but the US seems to favor people who have been more times and won medals.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Thanks @Willin.

Edited to clarify: this was all just a fun, provocative, unsolicited thought on my part re: Adam for flag bearer, but I understand that it's too little too late. It does not reflect any concerted campaign for Adam or from Adam. I also don't know Adam personally.

Edited to add: it is Erin Hamlin for Team USA.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/erin-hamlin-named-team-usa-flag-bearer-pyeongchang-opening-cermony

Hamlin, 31, is making her fourth trip to the Olympics. After missing out on the podium in her first two games, Hamlin won a bronze medal in Sochi, becoming the first U.S. athlete to win an Olympic singles luge medal since the event debuted at the Olympics in 1964. It wasn't the first time she made history -- in 2009, she became the first U.S. woman to win a world championship in the luge. She kicks off her 2018 Olympic competition on February 12 with the first two runs of the luge.

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
So I actually googled and Erin Hamlin is the flag bearer, congrats to her:cheer2:

Since I have no idea if Adam was even nominated, it would be incorrect for me to say “he lost”. The article I read did not say who else was nominated (and that may never be disclosed, for all I know).

Tinami Amori

oh Adam... when you don't have the jump content as the top men, and not likely to win an indiv. medal, go ahead and attract attention with left-wing yelling... that will get you publicity and fame..:p

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
There is a new article by Christine Brennan. A lot of it is a rehash of the original.

*** Openly gay figure skater Adam Rippon declined chance to speak with Vice President Pence :
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...adam-rippon-south-korea-gay-rights/314167002/
“If I had the chance to meet him afterwards, after I’m finished competing, there might be a possibility to have an open conversation,” Rippon said in the interview last month. “He seems more mild-mannered than Donald Trump. … But I don’t think the current administration represents the values that I was taught growing up. Mike Pence doesn’t stand for anything that I really believe in.”
“If it were before my event, I would absolutely not go out of my way to meet somebody who I felt has gone out of their way to not only show that they aren’t a friend of a gay person but that they think that they’re sick,” Rippon said. “I wouldn’t go out of my way to meet somebody like that."

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
This story sure has legs.

At work, Christine Brennan is on CNN.... this is becoming too much.

I really hope he is concentrating on his skating.

This is even headline news at AOL and CNN.com

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
There is nothing "left-wing" about advocating for basic human rights and equality, and calling out people who don't support that.
Puh-lease! Adam is a quadless bomb flopper loser who is just flapping his left-wing mouth left and left because he clearly isn't training for the Olympics aside from doing lots of butt exercises because he doesn't care about quads! Except the quads that are muscles on his legs! Near his big butt! Not the jumps that male skaters need to do to not be bomb flopper losers!!!

We may as well change his name to Old Left-Wing Yeller and hope that Meagan Duhamel thinks he's actually a dog so she will adopt him on one of her self-righteous Korean vegan escapades! But at least she can land a ****ing quad!!!!!

Tinami Amori

There is nothing "left-wing" about advocating for basic human rights and equality, and calling out people who don't support that.
Where was he few months ago, and any "loud advocacy" for gay rights? I don't recall any.... It started now, very conveniently. There are gays being burned to death, jailed, thrown from the roof-tops, yes today! Where is Adam's outrage on those issues? Where was he recently when Kadyrov's soldiers rounded up and tortured over 100 men? it was ALL over the news for months... and not even a tweet from Adam.. He is full of sh.t.... because "gay therapy" is an OLD issue, not part of current agenda, and yet he could not find anything more current for LGBT community to contribute to?

This year Adam can't win any GP events, can't medal at GPF, or medal at Nationals. He is going in place of US Silver medalist, and he knows it... So he found a cheap publicity stunt to make himself count.

It is ridiculous of him to assume that Pence event knows who he is.... Pence did not offer him a hand to shake, so Adam's refusal to "shake it" is comical. Anyone can stand in the middle of the street and yell "I will never visit Queen Elizabeth in her palace"..... but first one has to be invited.... :D

There is a old Russian Fable (actually originally by Ezop), called the Elephant and the Pug. A circus Elephant is paraded on the streets, small dog starts barking loudly. Another dog says "what's the point of barking? he is big, he does not see you, he will not react"... Pug says "good that he can't react. this way i can bark and make others think that i am big and tough and can take on an Elephant"...... Hallo Adam ... :D

Along the streets Big Elephant was led,
To show him off, most likely.
Since Elephants are not a common thing to see
A crowd of gapers followed on his heels.
All of a sudden Pug springs up in front of them.
And seeing Elephant, it raises a great rumpus,
It lunges, barks and howls
And does its best to pick a quarrel.
"Hey neighbor, stop the fuss,"
A mutt intones, "You? Deal with Elephant?
Look at you barking yourself hoarse, and he just strolls
Nonplussed
And doesn't care one bit about your noise."
"Ho ho!" Pug says,
"That's just what I enjoy,
Since I can be a real tough guy
Without a single blow or bruise.
That way, the other dogs will say:
"To bark at Elephant this Pug
Must be a real strong mug!"

Red Hot Chili Keegan

Banned Member
oh Adam... when you don't have the jump content as the top men, and not likely to win an indiv. medal, go ahead and attract attention with left-wing yelling... that will get you publicity and fame..:p

It's very nice that you gave Adam your permission sir, you seem like such a friendly guy.

Sounds like you are saying the medal contenders with jump content can only do right wing yelling. Let me know if any of them need wonder bibles, I'll send them mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information