Adam speaks his mind on US leader chosen for the Oympic delegation

Japanfan

And in the gay community it is positive....in the rest of the country it is not positive. I live in SF.......think Gay Pride Parade...does nothing to help the quest for normalization and equality.

What would help that quest, then?

Japanfan

Axel Annie referred to Gay Pride and normalization, so I assume she was referring to the normalization of LGBQT.

Anita18

It depends!
I saw that it was a fantasy. Yes it was a backhanded compliment and a slur. The emphasis of Adams statement does bring emphasis....And in the gay community it is positive....in the rest of the country it is not positive. I live in SF.......think Gay Pride Parade...does nothing to help the quest for normalization and equality. Imagine La Leche League parading through a city...boobs out babies latched on to emphasize how natural breast feeding is.
I'd say the Gay Pride Parade is less about normalizing to the general public, and more about a celebration for the gay community. That whole "pride" thing and all.

What would help that quest, then?
FWIW, I do have family members that eventually came around on gay marriage. What it takes is having friends or relatives who are LGBTQ. Then it's much harder to paint them as the "other."

But I mean, LGBTQ should have ways to come together and celebrate themselves before heading out once more, into the slog of edumacating us normies. :p

VGThuy

Axel Annie referred to Gay Pride and normalization, so I assume she was referring to the normalization of LGBQT.

She was criticizing gay pride parades and thinks it hurts the LGBTQ movements. She thinks if queer folks act more like straight folks and assimilate and act “normal” then it would help the movement. I think it’s doing fine and generations younger than Pence have overwhelmingly supported the LGBTQ community. I think there’s space for highlighting “normal” gays and the “fun” ones just like how ratchet straight people aren’t seen as representing the entire straight community.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Since PRIDE is all to much for Axel Annie, she can hang out with me and The Big Bang Theory crew at the SFO City Library for PRUDE month instead.

Seriously though, Adam's plight reminds me of one or two family gatherings where as an adult, I refused to attend because several relatives were bigoted homophobes. My reasoning was that if I went, I would be silently condoning their behaviour.

Pence must be furious because Rippon is rightfully drawing attention to his ignorance.

I'll be cheering for Adam in PyeongChang.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Well, shit flew the coup here didn't it. Excuse my language, y'all. What it basicly boiled down to is now Pence denying his first initial responses about the Lesbian Gay Community needing professional or psychological help to correct their thinking or believing that way to begin with. In the first place, there is nothing psychologically wrong with any Lesbian or Gay person's way of thinking. Let's put it like this. My niece is a Lesbian and she married her fiancée while I was still at NurseCare.

My niece and her wife are very successful and both went to college to get their degrees in Engineering. We all get together for Holidays each and every year. My dad who was one of the wisest people I know loved his granddaughter and her wife for who they were and realizing at the same time that nothing had changed about how loving and caring his granddaughter was. She was still his granddaughter that grew up before his very eyes.

Being an expert on the subject has nothing to do with it. It's people fighting for their rights as human beings, and that's what the United States is supposed to be about ... we the people, by the people. We all pay our taxes, have careers and other various jobs, and we have the right to fight for our rights.

I may not be considered an expert on the subject of being handicapped or disabled. But by gosh, I am an expert on knowing I couldn't go down a flight of stairs to where I was supposed to vote at the courthouse. I would have broken my neck if I tried to do down those stairs with my walker or even a wheelchair!

So If I would have just shut up about it, no one disabled or handicapped would be able to go down those damn stairs and exercise their right to vote. Wow! I wasn't an expert on the subject of being handicapped, but yet I managed to do something about it by speaking up for my rights ... for any handicapped persons rights and got something done about it! Y'all, I can now vote without having to worry about breaking my neck trying to go down a flight of stairs with a walker or wheelchair!!

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting this new article by Scott Reid of the Orange County Register from his fan thread: Adam Rippon finds himself on and off the ice on the way to the Olympics
Excerpts relevant to this thread:
The Pence controversy further reinforced to Rippon the reality that his story has transcended figure skating. He has been flooded on social media with messages from men and women, young and old, saying that his success and courage have been a source of strength. A young woman, a stranger, recently walked up to Rippon and told him he saved her life. A Japanese reporter told him his coming out helped her deal with the taboo of being a divorced mother in Japanese society.
“I love to skate but when I can share my story it’s something bigger,” he said.
“One of the biggest things was when I came out publicly it was so liberating for me and I kind of saw my skating could be something greater than just for me,” he continued. “As soon as I saw that, that’s what reinvigorated my passion for doing what I really love to do. When I saw that it’s not just about me. It’s a much bigger picture.”
“The area where I’m from really breeds a lot of hard-working people,” Rippon said. “It’s a lower, middle-class area and that’s the way I grew up. Everybody is white, Irish Catholic. So there’s not a lot of cultural diversity.
“I grew up in the early 90s when being gay was still something that wasn’t (accepted)…you know in the early 90s I vividly remember something coming up about someone being gay and people around me saying like ‘oh, that’s disgusting.’ So you just grow up with that seed in your head and you just don’t want it to be true even though you have these feelings and you’re just like ‘I think I might be but I can’t.’ And I just remember thinking that I have this secret that no one can ever know about. There’s a huge sense of fear that goes along with it.”
“I think about that kid,” Rippon said “and I think about the role models that I wish I had and I hope that given the opportunities that I have and the work that I’ve put in that I can be that role model for some young kid that lives in a small town and feels like they don’t belong.”

Last edited:

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
Goodness....a little testy, huh? That was my response to someone who was attempting to be sarcastic.
"People like me"....pretty judgemental of you.

A football player is on the field to play. That is what he is being paid for, and that is what he should do. It has nothing to do with me....it is their obligation. They should do the job they are being paid to do, during the time frame they are supposed to be doing it. What they do on their OWN time is up to them.

As to actors..........they should keep to acting. That is what they are good at. Now, to use that fame to speak out on an issue........sure they have that right, and sometimes that responsibility as in not hiding sexual abusers.
IMO - television award shows have turned into political events. Such nonsense. If they want to change the world, don't arrive in a limo, and talk about global warming. Don't wear a designer gown while speaking about America not doing our share to fight poverty. So, I guess hypocrisy doesn't fly over MY head.

Years and years ago, an actress, Brenda Vacarro did a commercial for some kind of tampon, letting us know that it was her favorite and she was recommending it. I like Ms. Vacarro a lot..........but I am really not interested in her views on random products. Does she have some expertise in the area? Did she get a degree in Tampons? I feel the same way about Actors speaking about policy and government. What makes them knowledgeable. Famous, but not knowledgeable. Give some of those millions to the schools in your community. Go read at libraries (boy one famous person could make a huge difference there). But simply flapping your mouth at the Oscars accomplishes exactly nothing, except a soundbite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCwqyO4hPQo

Last edited:

Sparks

Celebrities and athletes are American citizens who have a right to their own political opinions, just like the rest of us.
You don't have to agree with them. I believe it is great for Adam to use his platform to help young people and to be an ally for those with no voice.
GO ADAM! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Japanfan

At the very least, we can respect different opinions. Pence has a certain point of view, and so does Adam. Until G-d tells me which is correct, I am thinking they have equal standing to have that opinion.

They have equal standing to have their opinions, but I will point out that there are legal limitations on a person's right to speak hatefully (I don't know the rules in the US).

Also, the opinions are by no means 'equal', as one judges a certain group of people negatively and can be/have been considered tantamount to discrimination. The other opinion asserts the dignity and equality of that same group. There's a world of difference there.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
They have equal standing to have their opinions, but I will point out that there are legal limitations on a person's right to speak hatefully (I don't know the rules in the US).

Also, the opinions are by no means 'equal', as one judges a certain group of people negatively and can be/have been considered tantamount to discrimination. The other opinion asserts the dignity and equality of that same group. There's a world of difference there.
Well, we disagree. But I am still glowing from Brenda's enthusiastic (almost orgasmic) endorsement of Playtex tampons.

Japanfan

Being an expert on the subject has nothing to do with it. It's people fighting for their rights as human beings, and that's what the United States is supposed to be about ... we the people, by the people. We all pay our taxes, have careers and other various jobs, and we have the right to fight for our rights.

I may not be considered an expert on the subject of being handicapped or disabled. But by gosh, I am an expert on knowing I couldn't go down a flight of stairs to where I was supposed to vote at the courthouse. I would have broken my neck if I tried to do down those stairs with my walker or even a wheelchair!

So If I would have just shut up about it, no one disabled or handicapped would be able to go down those damn stairs and exercise their right to vote. Wow! I wasn't an expert on the subject of being handicapped, but yet I managed to do something about it by speaking up for my rights ... for any handicapped persons rights and got something done about it! Y'all, I can now vote without having to worry about breaking my neck trying to go down a flight of stairs with a walker or wheelchair!!

Angie, IMO you are an expert on the subject of being disabled or handicapped.

Good for you in making sure that you and other handicapped/disabled people are able to vote.

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
I just moved to the SF Bay Area, I hear this kind of talk in the office, train, coffee, store, etc.. Problem is, my daughter, husband and parents are starting to talk that way. My mom and my daughter like to say, "Mmmm gurl" all the time now. It's hard to correct your daughter when your own mother says it all the time. She must be taking the train from the East Bay to the Castro at least 3x a week. That is where she gets those cute-colored soaps in her bathrooms.

Anita18

It depends!
I just moved to the SF Bay Area, I hear this kind of talk in the office, train, coffee, store, etc.. Problem is, my daughter, husband and parents are starting to talk that way. My mom and my daughter like to say, "Mmmm gurl" all the time now. It's hard to correct your daughter when your own mother says it all the time. She must be taking the train from the East Bay to the Castro at least 3x a week. That is where she gets those cute-colored soaps in her bathrooms.
And I don't get what the problem is...?

I work in an office where almost every man is gay. There's a little bit of the flamboyance going on, but also a good dose of professionalism too. I'm sure people learn to compartmentalize. My sister has lived in SF for years and years, and still manages to sound smart doing her policy rounds in Sacramento and DC. :p

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
Not a problem. SF has changed me for the better. I used to be a Racist Republican. I am not one anymore. I love the diversity of the area. My daughter is learning so much at school and was placed in the gifted program. (I didn't think she was that smart, but the teacher's notes, my daughter's grades, work and her test scores proved me wrong).
And I don't get what the problem is...?

I work in an office where almost every man is gay. There's a little bit of the flamboyance going on, but also a good dose of professionalism too. I'm sure people learn to compartmentalize. My sister has lived in SF for years and years, and still manages to sound smart doing her policy rounds in Sacramento and DC. :p

Sylvia

TBD
Gus Kenworthy came out in October 2015 (this AP article was linked in the recent AP article I posted earlier in this thread) -- his story: https://durangoherald.com/articles/96960
In the more recent AP article published on Jan. 16th, Kenworthy is quoted as saying: "I've got more eyeballs on me. My platform's a lot bigger [since Sochi 2014]. I signed a bunch of Olympic sponsors and I have the LGBT audience watching me, and I want to do right by them."
Congratulations to Gus, 2-time Olympian! https://twitter.com/guskenworthy/status/955270455740411906

Kenworthy's new "Shoulders Of Greatness" TV Commercial for one of his sponsors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oxxUtkLCWw

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information