73rd Golden Globe Awards

Cachoo

I hate Leo DiCaprio as an actor. He isn't worth the OSCAR IMO.
So do you like him as an environmentalist ;)? I like Leo in the category of "big movie star" who does good work. I'm more enamored of the actors who can disappear into role after role. Jeff Bridges was always a favorite: One day he is "The Big Lebowski" and the next day he is the President of the US and totally believable as both.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am not his fan, but IMO Leo is a good actor (not great) and a star. I have liked him in some movies, even the Wolf of Wall Street which was a horrible movie, IMO. He was very good in his second movie with Kate Winslet.

It seems like they may just give him the Oscar this year for being around. Many actors have won the Oscar for roles that didn't deserve the award, so I won't have a problem if he wins it. My preferences so far are Michael Fassbender and Eddie Redmayne. However, I have not yet seen many other movies that may have better acting.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I saw The Revenant last night (after it had not been on my list of movies to see). I have posted my thoughts in the movie thread. But after seeing it I thought it was excellent and I have no problem with Di Caprio picking up the GG for his role in it.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Part of the reason why The Weinstein Company is running Rooney Mara as Supporting Actress instead of Lead Actress is so any votes for her don't cancel out any votes for Cate Blanchett. I'm pretty sure the only reason they decided to run Alicia Vikander as Supporting was because the only substantial competition at the time was Rooney Mara. But that was before Steve Jobs came out and Kate Winslet is a virtual guaranteed nomination if she has a movie coming out. I don't think Winslet's win at the Globes is going to change much as far as who wins though. However if they Academy decided to surprise everyone and nominate either Rooney Mara or Alicia Vikander in their proper category that could change things.

vesperholly

Yeah, the GGs LOVE Winslet - 11 noms and 5 wins, plus one year she won both Lead and Supporting awards!

I would be surprised if Redmayne won the Oscar. Back-to-back acting wins are exceedingly rare.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Part of the reason why The Weinstein Company is running Rooney Mara as Supporting Actress instead of Lead Actress is so any votes for her don't cancel out any votes for Cate Blanchett. I'm pretty sure the only reason they decided to run Alicia Vikander as Supporting was because the only substantial competition at the time was Rooney Mara. But that was before Steve Jobs came out and Kate Winslet is a virtual guaranteed nomination if she has a movie coming out. I don't think Winslet's win at the Globes is going to change much as far as who wins though. However if they Academy decided to surprise everyone and nominate either Rooney Mara or Alicia Vikander in their proper category that could change things.

I have a question. Can the academy change the category after the producers have submitted their list with specific categories?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Is Leo considered a front runner now for the Best Actor Oscar? I like him but I really want Michael Fassbender to get it this year.

It's gonna be a tough category. I think Leo might win since many may feel he's overdue (never won, but nominated a bunch of times). Fassbender is a wonderful actor. I haven't seen him in Steve Jobs, and that movie I heard did not do good box office. I'd still like to see it.

Kate Winslet is not my favorite actress, but she's a very good actress. I liked Winslett in Sense and Sensibility, The Reader, and Labor Day with Josh Brolin. I never thought that Kate and Leo were that well-matched or well-casted in The Titanic, but I'm sure a lot of Titanic fans will disagree.

Fassbender has been good in a slew of films. He probably won't win for Steve Jobs. Hopefully, Fassbender and Vikander will both win for The Light Between Oceans next year, if it is still set to come out at the end of this year. They look good together as real-life couple. I thought Vikander would at least win GG this year for Ex Machina (she was nominated in two categories).

Jay42

I have a question. Can the academy change the category after the producers have submitted their list with specific categories?
I do believe the Academy can still choose to nominate someone where they want regardless of what the producers want though. I've been reading a few things since the Globes that are hinting Alicia Vikander could sneak in to Lead Actress, possibly booting Charlotte Rampling or Jennifer Lawrence. I saw one person who thought that Rooney Mara could sneak into Lead over Cate Blanchett but I have a hard time seeing that happening personally. The Academy seems to really like Cate Blanchett and if she could get a nomination for Elizabeth: The Golden Age, considering it is generally recognized as the weaker of the two Elizabeth movies, she could probably get nominated for just about anything.

Kate Winslet winning for The Reader would be a prime example of someone who was being pushed in the Supporting categories by the producers who ultimately ended up winning in Lead at the Oscars. She won the Golden Globe for Supporting Actress at the Golden Globes for The Reader and then won Best Lead Actress in a Drama for Revolutionary Road, which later ended up being shut out at the Oscars and she got nominated in Lead Actress for a role that was widely considered to be a supporting one in The Reader. I haven't seen The Reader so I couldn't say for sure.

In closing (this was much longer than I thought it would be, sorry, apparently I ramble when tired,) the Academy can basically nominate whoever they want, in whichever category, but it is rare for them to go outside of where the producers try to campaign for their people. Which is why we've had so many issues of category fraud in the last few years. Consisting primarily of leading roles being run in the Supporting categories so the actors have theoretically less competition.

Xela M

I do believe the Academy can still choose to nominate someone where they want regardless of what the producers want though. I've been reading a few things since the Globes that are hinting Alicia Vikander could sneak in to Lead Actress, possibly booting Charlotte Rampling or Jennifer Lawrence. I saw one person who thought that Rooney Mara could sneak into Lead over Cate Blanchett but I have a hard time seeing that happening personally. The Academy seems to really like Cate Blanchett and if she could get a nomination for Elizabeth: The Golden Age, considering it is generally recognized as the weaker of the two Elizabeth movies, she could probably get nominated for just about anything.

Kate Winslet winning for The Reader would be a prime example of someone who was being pushed in the Supporting categories by the producers who ultimately ended up winning in Lead at the Oscars. She won the Golden Globe for Supporting Actress at the Golden Globes for The Reader and then won Best Lead Actress in a Drama for Revolutionary Road, which later ended up being shut out at the Oscars and she got nominated in Lead Actress for a role that was widely considered to be a supporting one in The Reader. I haven't seen The Reader so I couldn't say for sure.

In closing (this was much longer than I thought it would be, sorry, apparently I ramble when tired,) the Academy can basically nominate whoever they want, in whichever category, but it is rare for them to go outside of where the producers try to campaign for their people. Which is why we've had so many issues of category fraud in the last few years. Consisting primarily of leading roles being run in the Supporting categories so the actors have theoretically less competition.

Winslet in The Reader was a leading role in my eyes at least. She had an awful lot of screen time

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I saw The Reader. Winslet's role was definitely a Lead role. She was the one being read to. She was a central character, even more than the actual reader (boy/man). Thanks to the producers, she won in both categories at GG. She was definitely better in Reader than in Revolutionary Road, which was also good. So I am glad that the Oscars made her a Lead Actress for The Reader.

IMO Alicia Vikander should have been in the Lead category. Either she or Rooney Mara is going to miss out on a possible Oscar simply by being in the wrong category. Actually Kate Winslet may miss out on the Supporting actress Oscar because of these two (not their fault of course).

VGThuy

IMO Alicia Vikander should have been in the Lead category. Either she or Rooney Mara is going to miss out on a possible Oscar simply by being in the wrong category. Actually Kate Winslet may miss out on the Supporting actress Oscar because of these two (not their fault of course).

Mara has just as much argument as Vikander does in being put in the lead actress category. I think most agree that being put in supporting is only going to help Vikander and Mara's chances.

VGThuy

Yes, but not both. If one of them was in the Lead category, both could have been Oscar winners. Now only one of them can.

Both committed category fraud, so if we're arguing that Vikander is going to miss out due to being put in the wrong category, then, under the idea that actors should be put in the right category, shouldn't we also say Mara was put in the wrong category? Therefore, they'd be facing each other anyway. Unless you're ok with only one of them committing category fraud. In the Lead, the Larson and Ronan train is hard to topple anyway.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Both committed category fraud, so if we're arguing that Vikander is going to miss out due to being put in the wrong category, then, under the idea that actors should be put in the right category, shouldn't we also say Mara was put in the wrong category? Therefore, they'd be facing each other anyway. Unless you're ok with only one of them committing category fraud. In the Lead, the Larson and Ronan train is hard to topple anyway.

I am not saying that only one of them committed category fraud; they both did. I will be happy with either Larson or Ronan winning the Oscar. IMO the lead actress category would have been really strong if Mara and Vikander had been in it. Now it may be a two-horse race (although with JenLaw in it, it's hard to predict).

I think Vikander can at least make a borderline case as "the supporting wife" even though she has nearly equal screen time with Eddie R. From what I am reading about 'Carol', Mara is equal or even more of a lead.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I'm sort of glad it happened because it created room for Charlotte Rampling.

Cachoo

I've wondered about this too: I think the Academy should be allowed to make alterations if they believe they have a compelling argument. I'm not sure they would want to change Vikander and Mara's status because they are both up-and-coming, compelling actresses and they risk getting left out if they were put into the proper category. Somehow I think they would get more votes, than say, Jen Lawrence this year. But then maybe the Academy wants Jen to be in the mix too.

VGThuy

I've wondered about this too: I think the Academy should be allowed to make alterations if they believe they have a compelling argument. I'm not sure they would want to change Vikander and Mara's status because they are both up-and-coming, compelling actresses and they risk getting left out if they were put into the proper category. Somehow I think they would get more votes, than say, Jen Lawrence this year. But then maybe the Academy wants Jen to be in the mix too.

The Academy isn't bound to the wishes of the studios (see Kate Winslet in The Reader). I think what happens is that if there's a confusing push like this, they either just go with what the studio wants as default or they vote them for both and whichever category has more ballots (in the preferential top spots) with their names on it gives them the nod (even if they have enough numbers to be nominated for both). This type of thing tends to just go to the discretion of the thousands of members in the Acting branch in the Academy membership submitting ballots rather than a committee choosing eligibility before votes can be submitted by a nominating committee that's smaller in number but acts as representatives for the membership (like the Tonys).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am wondering if Mara and Vikander may split the votes enough to give the Oscar to Winslet, like at the GG?

Jay42

I am wondering if Mara and Vikander may split the votes enough to give the Oscar to Winslet, like at the GG?
Vikander was the only one nominated in Supporting at the Globes and that was for Ex Machina. Mara was nominated in Lead at the Globes as well as Vikander for The Danish Girl. While it is definitely possible that they could split the vote in Winslet's favour, it's hard to look at the Globes as an example of what can happen in the Supporting Actress category at the Oscars. We may have to wait and see what happens at SAG and the BAFTAs.

Cachoo

It's Leo, Leo, Leo for the men but it seems like the female categories are up in the air. I like a little bit of mystery when it comes to the final vote. I wonder if host Chris Rock will have anything to say about the lack of color in the acting categories again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information