2024 World Synchronized Skating Championships

Sylvia

TBD
Synchronized Skating
Result
FPl. Name Nation Points SP FS

GOLD Team Les Supremes CAN 237.97 1 1 (3rd straight World title!)
SILVER Team Haydenettes USA 233.85 3 2 (their first World silver! :) http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00013219.htm)
BRONZE Team Helsinki Rockettes FIN 229.84 2 3
4 Team Unique FIN 227.11 4 4
5 Team Nova Senior CAN 211.58 5 5
6 Team Skyliners USA 206.27 6 6
7 Team Berlin 1 GER 195.16 8 7
8 Team Passion HUN 187.99 7 9
9 Team Ice on Fire ITA 185.53 10 8
10 Team Jingu Ice Messengers JPN 181.05 11 10
11 Team Inspire SWE 175.25 9 11
12 Team Ice Fire Senior POL 169.35 13 12
13 Team Olympia CZE 161.68 12 15
14 Team United Angels GER 161.09 14 14
15 Team Starlight Elite SUI 157.88 16 13
16 Team Zoulous FRA 156.92 15 17
17 Team Ice United NED 154.44 17 16
18 Team Icicles Senior GBR 131.50 19 18
19 Team Zagreb Snowflakes CRO 128.31 20 19
20 Team Unity AUS 120.99 18 20
21 Team Cosmos TUR 55.36 21 21

FS protocols will soon be linked from here: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season2324/wsysc2024/

ETA: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
I don't like this medal ceremony with only one skater getting the medal during the ceremony. I know it's been done in synchro for many years like this, but for crying out loud take the time to give each athlete a medal, and say their name during the ceremony. They've worked a whole year to get here, they deserve the attention.

skatingguy

decently
It happened back in Canada. Her Achilles tendon was slit just before leaving for Worlds.
She was substitute and supported them. It was great she was able to be with her team.
That is the risk with 16 pairs of blades being kicked around - someone does a simple extension, and slices the skater behind them.

ice coverage

Throwing back to 2017 Synchro Worlds in Colorado Springs, where the honor of placing medals around the necks of the non-captain team members was given to Joshua Farris, Max Aaron, and Jason Brown (beginning at approx. 5:00:00) :)

Willin

Yeah, I was thinking about this during their program and wondered if the women in synchro are still required to have skirts.
They aren't required to wear skirts by any means, but having skirts just moves better. It also hides things like lack of synchronization and lack of matching in the extensions better than pants. If you're doing pants you need to be on point. MIU wore pants maybe 10 years ago for a SP and it only worked because they were so sharp.

You'd think with the sheer numbers of skaters in Japan that there would be more than one synchro team each at the senior and junior ranks there.
For whatever reason team skating isn't really a thing there - even dance and pairs are very uncommon. They don't have much of a youth synchro scene. In fact, at Jingu Ice Messenger's first worlds all four men's skaters on their team competed singles at Japanese Nationals as well. I'd assume many of the ladies on the team similarly did their time - for a long time - in singles. Maybe because the skaters people look up to are in singles?

Asia in general doesn't really have synchro. I know there are a couple lower level Korean teams (that got US support 10-15 years ago) and China has a Junior/Senior team that competes mostly in China, but as a whole Asia isn't into synchro. Which is odd given we do have multiple senior teams in Australia and have had Senior teams from other non-skating countries like South Africa, Spain, Turkey, and Mexico.

One of the biggest issues with them as a team has never been their individual abilities but rather their tendency to be too singles-esque stylistically.

I want to like these dresses on Berlin 1 but the waistline drops way too low and the weird cutouts at hip-level are NOT flattering at all.

BTW - Berlin 1? Please get a better name. If you want to denote your status as the 1st synchro team in Berlin then maybe try Premiere or Uno or something other than the numeral 1, okay? kthxbye!!!!!
I've always wondered about this name. It's been that way for decades at this point. IIRC way back when there were two Team Berlins (early '00s) and the surviving one just never changed their name?

I don't like this medal ceremony with only one skater getting the medal during the ceremony. I know it's been done in synchro for many years like this, but for crying out loud take the time to give each athlete a medal, and say their name during the ceremony. They've worked a whole year to get here, they deserve the attention.
Usually medals are given to all the skaters - they swap out on the podium or hand them to each other. Sounds like they just did it odd here.

skatingguy

decently
Usually medals are given to all the skaters - they swap out on the podium or hand them to each other. Sounds like they just did it odd here.
They did that after they awarded the medals to the team captains, but in other team sports they have several people to hand out the medals, and each athlete gets their name called as they receive their medal.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks @Aussie Willy ... you can post your FS thoughts in this thread for the competition :):
Caught up with the event last night. Fortunately SBS here in Australia has been showing everything from ISU this year. And the best thing is when you watch the On Demand service they take out all the ice resurfaces. So it is only about 2 and half hours to watch. Unfortunately I was a bit tired watching so I had trouble keeping my eyes open.

Not a formal synchro judge here but have judged a bit of it. It is so much better these days than the old "precision" skating. The quality of skating has really developed and I think IJS has been the best thing to happen to the discipline because of the definition of the elements and the need for clear formations. And the teams have risen to the challenge required.

So my random thoughts without having taken any notes.

Very proud of our Australian team. They have had massive challenges even getting to the event as they have no home rink in Sydney and have had to travel around the city to the other rinks to train. And if you have even been Sydney that is no mean feat because it literally can sometimes take a couple of hours to get anywhere.

Haydenettes really stood out for me. I think towards the end of that program was one of the best examples of element placement with the massive artistic circle building with the music and then the intersection that fitted perfectly. It was just WOW. Without sitting down and really analysing it was the best for me.

The Finnish teams were fantastic as always. Different styles of program but their skating skills and formations are excellent.

Les Supremes were great but I got more into the Haydenettes and the Fins

I think I enjoyed Berlin 1 more than any other team. Who doesn't love a bit of Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels? May not have been perfect but they had lots of sass and attitude. Loved their No Hold Element.

Best costumes - Ice on Fire. Having those different coloured dresses really created an interesting palette on the ice.

Overall really enjoyed it and will catch up on the Freeskating tonight.
Photos by Robin Ritoss:

Willin

And Les Supremes were messier. Their travelling element was probably the worst of the Top 5 or maybe even Top 10. I was pretty shocked when they not only won, but won by that margin. I could tell the voices on the commentary feed felt much the same. Some of their basic shapes weren't good... IAM working its magic, I guess.

The Finnish teams were interesting to watch. All three looked weak this year. I suppose part of it was me not liking the programs, but for some reason neither team really had the spark of last year with their FSs in particular. Unique's didn't have the attack of last year and Rockette's was another one of their high concept messes - just doing way too much and it made little sense. Like the stereotypical middle east arms with Spanish language music? I guess the theme was adventure or exploring, but it was just too thrown together for me. It's also a little baffling that both teams lost levels given not only the resources Finland has but also the fact that they compete nearly every week from November to late February. You'd think they'd have those levels solid by now. Rockettes looked pissed. This was the second year in a row they made a weird error at worlds.

skatingguy

decently
Going to try again to get @Aussie Willy in the right thread. :D
I am currently watching the FS and have watched the first three groups.

Holy moly I loved the Netherlands team Team United. That was the best program out so far. The program had fantastic interpretation to the music, got the crowd involved and was exciting. Technically they had some fantastic unison on quite a few of the elements, particularly the Pair death spiral element. The Travelling Element really covered the ice and the final lift that was right in the judges faces was so cool. I am surprised they didn't place higher.

The rest of the programs whilst good were a bit meh for me. However I will give props to the Japanese team for their costumes.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Now that I have the right thread, just a couple of more thoughts on the rest of the FS.

A couple of my favourite performances were Team Ice Fire (POL) and Team Berlin 1. Both did Time inspired programs. Both had some very clever choreography and moves and worked extremely well with their music. But something about Team Berlin really blew me away. As I was writing notes I was putting ticks on a lot of the elements. Particularly the Intersecton and No Hold Element. I will need to watch it again.

As for the rest of the competition, I agree with others who thought the Haydenettes were the best out there. Sensational program and so fantastic with the music. All the top teams were excellent but they really were the stand out program of the event.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
IAM working its magic, I guess.
Pascal Denis coaches Les Supremes with 2 other coaches and he was with the team at Worlds in Zagreb. He also does programs for Croatian team and some others in Europe.

He is also one of the original founding coaches of IAM, Yet these two positions are not connected. I am not in a position to retell the details, but it would be wrong to assume that IAM as a collective it is considered in figure skating and ice dancing is doing something for Les Supremes that gets them the scores they may or may not deserve.
Denis basically has 2 great gigs in Montreal in 2 skating sports. He is very handsome btw. Great skin.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
According to the special rules/regs on the ISU site, any ISU member can send a team, if all of the members meet the requirements to participate. Why would Turkey's participation have any bearing on whether Korea or Spain could enter a team?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
According to the special rules/regs on the ISU site, any ISU member can send a team, if all of the members meet the requirements to participate. Why would Turkey's participation have any bearing on whether Korea or Spain could enter a team?
It wouldn't.

There were countries that had teams at Jr Worlds (New Zealand, Spain, and one other that I can't think of off the top of my head). Either they don't have senior teams to send or their feds felt the senior teams they do have wouldn't benefit from the experience. But it certainly wasn't because they were prevented from sending a team.

I don't think Korea has any synchro teams, FWIW.

just tuned in

Okay, thanks. I thought the number of teams were limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information