2022 Nationals in Nashville

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The Skating Lesson is proposing the USFS name its Olympic team immediately.

The Skating Lesson
@SkatingLesson
·
2h

The USFS should vote on the team tonight and send them home. We know the team they want: Bell, Liu, K. Chen, N. Chen, Zhou, Brown, Alexa and Brandon, Ashley and Timothy and the 3 MTL dance teams. Easy. Get them isolated.
I'd love to see this magical isolated ice rink with a couple sheets of ice and room for all the coaches and other things skaters need that they expect USFSA to shell out for (I guess....)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'd love to see this magical ice rink with a couple sheets of ice and room for all the coaches and other things skaters need that they expect USFSA to shell out for (I guess....)
I'm sure in Dave's magical universe, he thinks the World Arena can be closed off from any and all skaters who aren't named to the Olympic team and make them isolate in Colorado Springs for the next 2.5 weeks before they start to head to Beijing. Of course, he wouldn't be able to use his vast network of rink moms to spy for him in that scenario.

Rukia

Brandon Frazer's instagram video is posted. Sounds like he has serious symptoms. :( It's not the mild type. Arghhhh. He was nearly in tears when talking on the video.
At this point there's no way of knowing how this will go. What he needs is time and rest and good medical care and best wishes. He could be feeling much better in a couple days or not. Let us all hope that he is better soon.

VGThuy

Still annoyed about that (& the apparent choice of SS to not split when they were so close & not the champions that year. It still rubs me the wrong way)
Oh well. The Shibs earned it by consistently placing higher than the other American teams internationally from 2016 Four Continents on and either winning or placing on every podium at every international competition they entered only losing to Papadakis/Cizeron and Virtue/Moir since then, and didn’t owe the other teams anything. And H/D didn’t win nationals dominantly. They won without winning the SD or the FD, and the TE was not using cumulative scoring and wouldn’t have won without the Shibs’ huge error in the FD. The Shibs still beat H/D overall in every head-to-head since well…forever in their entire senior career up until 2018 Nationals. In the end, the USFS had the final say and made their choices, and it was the right choice. The mens competition was definitely going to split with them being so close to the TE and with their difficult TES pushing programs. The ladies were most likely going to be split too because that’s who they wanted to highlight and thank goodness because Mirai had the skate of her life and ended up hitting when the US needed her too. The Shibs also did their job and consistently placed second to V/M. We saw how the individual played out.

Last edited:

Gusmom

Banned Member
Brandon Frazer's instagram video is posted. Sounds like he has serious symptoms. :( It's not the mild type. Arghhhh. He was nearly in tears when talking on the video.
It was heartbreaking. And then to hear him more worried about competing (which I do understand) than health. I really hope he is ok and takes time he needs to heal. Long-term health is more important than any competition.

Allskate

Sounds like he has serious symptoms.
I know he said that he had serious symptoms, but it may be that his version of "serious" is something that would interfere with his skating his best right now. He wasn't even really coughing, and he wasn't too sick to make the video, much less on his way to being hospitalized. So, it's entirely possible that he will recover quickly and never genuinely get really seriously ill. He did seem very upset, which is entirely understandable. Given what Alexa said about vaccination and masking, though, hopefully that will reduce his chances of getting a genuinely serious case. And, hopefully Alexa does not have it.

VGThuy

This new variant is just catching like wildfire. Luckily, it does seem most cases are mild for those who are vaccinated.

December and this month so far has very much been like this for the population in general:

stjeaskategym

Nothing puts them into Group 2 at this point. As @wickedwitch pointed out - Group 2 placement requires BOTH a Nats Top 5 finish AND the Worlds Top 5 international scores. Right now, they only meet one of those criteria. They're the top team in Group 3, though, and that might be enough to successfully petition onto the Olympic team, depending on how the other three teams in Group 3 skate this week.

Knierim/Frazier are definitely in Group 2. The document states that you either have to be top 5 at Nationals OR successfully petition. So if they're going to accept the petition, K/F's advantage as only US pair in Group 2 remains.

If they petition, i hope USFS is smart enough to make it conditional of a test skate. And probably leave them off the team event.

We should not assume he will be ok in a month, let alone in a state to skate four programs.

I wouldn't assume anything about Brandon's health. A lot of people recover quickly. I've had family members feel terrible one day and fine the next. He's not in the hospital and he's well enough to sit up and post a video, so let not jump to conclusions. Fortunately for them, there's a good chunk of time until the Olympics. I'm sure USFS would be able to go to their rink to monitor their readiness.

Karen-W

Knierim/Frazier are definitely in Group 2. The document states that you either have to be top 5 at Nationals OR successfully petition. So if they're going to accept the petition, K/F's advantage as only US pair in Group 2 remains.
I went back and looked at the document and while you're correct, isn't it kind of a chicken-egg scenario, in the sense that the USFS has to be willing to accept the petition and THEN their international scores place them into Group 2? It requires BOTH a) Top 5 at Nats OR successful petition, and b) consistent Worlds Top 5 scores.

I mean, the USFS would be crazy to NOT accept the petition, but if I were the 1st alternate, I'd be acting and behaving (with regard to isolating and limiting contacts), for the next 3-4 weeks, like I'm going to Beijing.

stjeaskategym

I went back and looked at the document and while you're correct, isn't it kind of a chicken-egg scenario, in the sense that the USFS has to be willing to accept the petition and THEN their international scores place them into Group 2? It requires BOTH a) Top 5 at Nats OR successful petition, and b) consistent Worlds Top 5 scores.

I mean, the USFS would be crazy to NOT accept the petition, but if I were the 1st alternate, I'd be acting and behaving (with regard to isolating and limiting contacts), for the next 3-4 weeks, like I'm going to Beijing.

Well yeah, if you want to take the wording that literally, but obviously if USFS is willing to accept the petition, it would have meant they took K/F's Group 2 status into account. We're not going to pretend they're in Group 3 now--- their scores truly put them in Group 2.

I'm sure it was no easy task for USFS to word that Selections Criteria document perfectly to account for all the current chaos in the world. But they did make sure to take into account the very real likelihood that skaters might have to WD from Nationals.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Everyone, this IS what a MILD case looks like. Basically, any level of symptoms that does not require medical intervention is considered “mild”.

For classification purposes, “moderate” cases usually involve difficulty breathing and a drop in oxygen saturation levels, likely needing supplemental oxygen, and needing assistance with activities of daily living.

Dobre

If they petition, i hope USFS is smart enough to make it conditional of a test skate. And probably leave them off the team event.
The team event is the best reason for S-K&F to be on the Olympic Team, IMO. Though I agree they should have to show readiness.

And I've no idea what USFS will decide about a petition.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Back to the trivial side of Nats things, I had a grains and greens bowl with roasted chicken and roasted white sweet potato from Cava in the 5th and Broadway complex and it was very good. They serve Mediterranean bowls and pitas. I ordered on their app and was able to run in and grab it quickly.

AnnM

Back to the trivial side of Nats things, I had a grains and greens bowl with roasted chicken and roasted white sweet potato from Cava in the 5th and Broadway complex and it was very good. They serve Mediterranean bowls and pitas. I ordered on their app and was able to run in and grab it quickly.

Thanks for mentioning this! I've bought some of their condiments in the past from Whole Foods, but never had a chance yet to check out their actual food.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I love Alexa & Brandon - heartbroken for their timing. Can't see them not on the olympic team, however. They're still class of the field. I adore C&L, but...

@alj5 It’s clickbait. Tennessee does not require masks or capacity limits. There’s even a law prohibiting mask requirements in public schools unless a public health emergency is declared. So, everyone knows, or should have known, that there could not be a bubble.

So Tennessee is ass-backwards enough. How stupid did USFS have to insist on being to hold Nationals there?

Scoff at TSL all you want, but they seem more concerned with athlete's safety than their own governing body.

Karen-W

I love Alexa & Brandon - heartbroken for their timing. Can't see them not on the olympic team, however. They're still class of the field. I adore C&L, but...

So Tennessee is ass-backwards enough. How stupid did USFS have to insist on being to hold Nationals there?

Scoff at TSL all you want, but they seem more concerned with athlete's safety than their own governing body.
You know, there's this funny thing called a CONTRACT that they signed, before the p**demic, that would cost the USFS major bucks if they attempted to break it and move Nationals elsewhere. The reason they were able to move from San Jose to Las Vegas last year was because the local authorities in San Jose had shut everything down and it was impossible to hold Nationals there. The same is not true of Nashville this year. It isn't a matter of the USFS "insisting" on anything. Additionally, Omicron wasn't even an issue 5-6 weeks ago.

It is a bit rich to state that TSL cares more about athlete safety than the federation. Take your inappropriately placed outrage elsewhere, please.

Rukia

I think in the case of TSL both can be a little true. I'm sure they want athletes to be safe and be able to make the Olympics and 4cc (because honestly, it cuts into their bottom line if there aren't events to mock athletes at report on). On the other hand, I don't see how people could deny that they positively thrive on drama and aren't a afraid to create some if needed.

But also the thought that USFS doesn't want to keep their athletes plague free is kind of ??? I mean, the optics of not having your best at the Olympics because they caught a communicable disease at your event is not great. I don't think they're doing a great job honestly, but I doubt it's for lack of wanting to. I'm sure there are a lot of other issues at play.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
You know, there's this funny thing called a CONTRACT that they signed, before the p**demic, that would cost the USFS major bucks if they attempted to break it and move Nationals elsewhere. The reason they were able to move from San Jose to Las Vegas last year was because the local authorities in San Jose had shut everything down and it was impossible to hold Nationals there. The same is not true of Nashville this year. It isn't a matter of the USFS "insisting" on anything. Additionally, Omicron wasn't even an issue 5-6 weeks ago.

It is a bit rich to state that TSL cares more about athlete safety than the federation. Take your inappropriately placed outrage elsewhere, please.

:lol:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Omicron started to spread crazily right before Christmas. Most people vaccinated and boosted have very little, if any, risk of anything more than a few days of a fever. We even discussed this in the last few weeks. Those are the stats being provided by the same organizations that everyone has listened to since day one. And no, for those who are habitually paranoid of everything in the world, that doesn’t mean no one cares about the health of anyone else.

Yes, the USFS could’ve shut down the event to the audience, but as I’ve repeated to no end, that still doesn’t mean skaters are going to avoid getting it. Look at our Canadian friends to the north. At least 3 of them had very recent cases. Having a closed-door event where symptoms may not even show up until after the weekend (especially as they are not tested) isn’t going to prevent people from bringing it in, which is probably where Brandon got it considering he already has symptoms.

But yes, let’s keep supporting the faulty dramatic logic of Brennan. A reminder that the skaters can sit in their rooms if they so choose. Why Karen was in a crowded dining hall, who knows but it’s besides the point.

Last edited:

sk8nlizard

Omicron started to spread crazily right before Christmas. Most people vaccinated and boosted have very little, if any, risk of anything more than a few days of a fever. We even discussed this in the last few weeks. Those are the stats being provided by the same organizations that everyone has listened to since day one. And no, for those who are habitually paranoid of everything in the world, that doesn’t mean no one cares about the health of anyone else.

Yes, the USFS could’ve shut down the event to the audience, but as I’ve repeated to no end, that still doesn’t mean skaters are going to avoid getting it. Look at our Canadian friends to the north. At least 3 of them had very recent cases. Having a closed-door event where symptoms may not even show up until after the weekend (especially as they are not tested) isn’t going to prevent people from bringing it in, which is probably where Brandon got it considering he already has symptoms.

But yes, let’s keep supporting the faulty dramatic logic of Brennan. A reminder that the skaters can sit in their rooms if they so choose. Why Karen was in a crowded dining hall, who knows but it’s besides the point.
I just said the exact same thing in another thread. I would also like to know if ALL skaters, coaches and officials are staying at The same hotel with no other people (even those that might live in the area) and are being delivered meals to their rooms, etc?
This is what everyone is crying USFS should be doing, I know there are protocols somewhere for Canadian nationals, does anyone have a link?

Gusmom

Banned Member
@alj5 It’s clickbait. Tennessee does not require masks or capacity limits. There’s even a law prohibiting mask requirements in public schools unless a public health emergency is declared. So, everyone knows, or should have known, that there could not be a bubble.
They don’t require it but any event can require. And they could have created more of a bubble if they wanted to

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
They don’t require it but any event can require. And they could have created more of a bubble if they wanted to
Unfortunately, no. Under Tennessee law, employers are limited on mask, vaccine, and even testing requirements for non-medical personnel, so the hotel staff would be non-bubble. Also, there’s only one lobby. If the building is typical, the ability to limit elevators is strictly the function of repair people and fire departments. A real bubble is almost impossible.

Gusmom

Banned Member
But also the thought that USFS doesn't want to keep their athletes plague free is kind of ??? I mean, the optics of not having your best at the Olympics because they caught a communicable disease at your event is not great. I don't think they're doing a great job honestly, but I doubt it's for lack of wanting to. I'm sure there are a lot of other issues at play.
I think not testing everyone everyday is a huge flaw. Brandon didn’t have to get tested. And who knows if he was starting to feel sick when he practiced the day before. It could have been a cold or allergies…but it wasn’t.
But they didn’t require testing except day 4. And it seems they’re not (from what I recall) testing close contacts either. Schools recommend “test and stay” for close contacts— meaning that if you are a contact, you take a rapid test in morning & if it’s negative you get to stay. It’s not perfect (nor are the tests) but it definitely does catch some asymptomatic cases.

USFS should at least be requiring this.

sk8nlizard

I think not testing everyone everyday is a huge flaw. Brandon didn’t have to get tested. And who knows if he was starting to feel sick when he practiced the day before. It could have been a cold or allergies…but it wasn’t.
But they didn’t require testing except day 4. And it seems they’re not (from what I recall) testing close contacts either. Schools recommend “test and stay” for close contacts— meaning that if you are a contact, you take a rapid test in morning & if it’s negative you get to stay. It’s not perfect (nor are the tests) but it definitely does catch some asymptomatic cases.

USFS should at least be requiring this.
I don’t disagree with you, but not all schools require this. My kids go to school in a district that requires no quarantine (even if someone in your house had Covid) as long as your symptom free. Also, no contact tracing and for sure no mandatory testing. I do think more testing by USFS would have been a good idea but every state, company, place, etc does things differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information