2022 Nationals in Nashville

Lacey

Gold medal contender Knierim & Frazier have withdrawn. Wow. They looked perfectly fine and healthy yesterday in practice.

Wow, that's a big one! So very sad for them, but perhaps they can and will petition for O team?

Yuri

Someone in one of the threads mentioned they normally have access to the Marriott lounges and they do not have access at the Renaissance for this trip. I’m guessing that lounge is only open for credentialed people.
Just took a very close look at the two posted photos and no one is wearing a credential. Doesn't look like an USFA room to me.

wickedwitch

I'm sure they'll be petitioning. They're in Group 2 and have the highest scores of all the US Pairs teams this season.
They’re not in group 2 anymore. Group 2 requires a top-five finish at Nats. They’ll be in group 3 with the rest of the contenders.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They’re not in group 2 anymore. Group 2 requires a top-five finish at Nats. They’ll be in group 3 with the rest of the contenders.
Ohhhhhh, good point! I'd forgotten that it was an "AND" requirement for Group 1 and 2.

But, the US Selection Criteria also states that skaters/teams in the same grouping will be ranked based on highest international scores, so they're still in a good position, just not as strong as they would have been had they been able to compete.

shuilee

The rules for Group 2 say "Top 5 at Nationals OR successfully petitioned athlete". Can Alexa and Brandon petition onto Olympic team? I would think so, and that could put them in Group 2.

What will be tough is who gets to skate in the Team Competition? If Cain & LeDuc win Nationals, I'm afraid K&F won't get a chance to compete in the Team Event for a likely Olympic medal. So sad they won't have a chance to compete at Nationals for that 1 spot on the Team Event.

Karen-W

The rules for Group 2 say "Top 5 at Nationals OR successfully petitioned athlete". Can Alexa and Brandon petition onto Olympic team? I would think so, and that could put them in Group 2.

What will be tough is who gets to skate in the Team Competition? If Cain & LeDuc win Nationals, I'm afraid K&F won't get a chance to compete in the Team Event for a likely Olympic medal. So sad they won't have a chance to compete at Nationals for that 1 spot on the Team Event.
Nothing puts them into Group 2 at this point. As @wickedwitch pointed out - Group 2 placement requires BOTH a Nats Top 5 finish AND the Worlds Top 5 international scores. Right now, they only meet one of those criteria. They're the top team in Group 3, though, and that might be enough to successfully petition onto the Olympic team, depending on how the other three teams in Group 3 skate this week.

Carolla5501

Nothing puts them into Group 2 at this point. As @wickedwitch pointed out - Group 2 placement requires BOTH a Nats Top 5 finish AND the Worlds Top 5 international scores. Right now, they only meet one of those criteria. They're the top team in Group 3, though, and that might be enough to successfully petition onto the Olympic team, depending on how the other three teams in Group 3 skate this week.
US figure skating loves Alexa. If she petitions I expect they will be put on the team

Karen-W

US figure skating loves Alexa. If she petitions I expect they will be put on the team
Oh, I agree. And, to be fair, K/F have the highest scores of the teams in Group 3, so they deserve consideration on that basis alone. My thought is that if two of the three other teams in Group 3 skate lights out tomorrow and Saturday, it will hurt K/F's chances of successfully petitioning onto the team.

Carolla5501

Someone in one of the threads mentioned they normally have access to the Marriott lounges and they do not have access at the Renaissance for this trip. I’m guessing that lounge is only open for credentialed people.
I’m pretty sure that the elite members are not able to use the lounge right now. I know they are not selling rooms on their website they have lounge access so I think the lounge is not open to the general public. They have probably opened it to a group at the request of US figure skating as part of the deal

Gusmom

Banned Member

Is it automatically given to the winning team? Or would they consider splitting with K/F?

sk8nlizard

Deleted because someone else answered.

Debbie S

Is it automatically given to the winning team? Or would they consider splitting with K/F?
Most likely only 1 pair will be used. This has been discussed in the TE thread but essentially, the decision to split goes in order of how each discipline is 'ranked' based on Worlds finish last year, so Nathan/men get first choice, then dance, ladies and pairs. It's assumed that Nathan will want to split and based on comments from the pre-Nats press teleconferences, it sounds like both H/D and C/B want to split. You can only split in 2 disciplines, so it's highly likely only 1 pair team will skate the TE.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I’m pretty sure that the elite members are not able to use the lounge right now. I know they are not selling rooms on their website they have lounge access so I think the lounge is not open to the general public. They have probably opened it to a group at the request of US figure skating as part of the deal
When I checked in they told me it was open to platinum members.

Carolla5501

When I checked in they told me it was open to platinum members.
Interesting because I’m titanium and when I called they told me it was not open and that was just last week so they have just opened it if that’s the case. And that’s unusual because most Marriott lounges are still closed. I decided to move anyway

There’s a theory that the lounges are not closed because of Covid but because Marriott has found this a great way to save money but that’s completely off-topic

Allskate

you need to give us a tinyurl since that link won't work with ****

The link works for me. The article says that Brandon tested negative before arriving in Nashville, but woke up this morning feeling sick and chose to get tested, with a positive result. Alexa says they are petitioning for a spot on the Olympic team. I really respect his decision to get tested when he was not required to do so. He may have saved others a similar or worse plight. But what a bummer for them.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The link works for me. The article says that Brandon tested negative before arriving in Nashville, but woke up this morning feeling sick and chose to get tested, with a positive result. Alexa says they are petitioning for a spot on the Olympic team. I really respect his decision to get tested when he was not required to do so. He may have saved others a similar or worse plight. But what a bummer for them.
Indeed. Good for him. Hope things remain mild for him, but knowing people who caught this recently that's not a guarantee. Anyway, fingers crossed. They have good numbers this season for their petition.

Gusmom

Banned Member
Most likely only 1 pair will be used. This has been discussed in the TE thread but essentially, the decision to split goes in order of how each discipline is 'ranked' based on Worlds finish last year, so Nathan/men get first choice, then dance, ladies and pairs. It's assumed that Nathan will want to split and based on comments from the pre-Nats press teleconferences, it sounds like both H/D and C/B want to split. You can only split in 2 disciplines, so it's highly likely only 1 pair team will skate the TE.
I forgot about the 2 discipline part. (Still annoyed about what happened in ‘18 w dance)

Karen-W

The Skating Lesson is proposing the USFS name its Olympic team immediately.

The Skating Lesson
@SkatingLesson
·
2h

The USFS should vote on the team tonight and send them home. We know the team they want: Bell, Liu, K. Chen, N. Chen, Zhou, Brown, Alexa and Brandon, Ashley and Timothy and the 3 MTL dance teams. Easy. Get them isolated.
Because, you know, sporting principles of competition shouldn't factor into this at all. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information