2022 Nationals in Nashville

Carolla5501

i've emailed USFS since the Bridgestone originally dropped the requirement -- as many people made the decision to buy tickets with that safety protocol in place. Never heard back (but i am also not a member)

trying not to think about that as i figure out best way to get from airport to hotel downtown :( (also really wish usfs would consider the vax/test regs again -- current situation is unknown, ***** is spreading even in high-vax areas, AND - most importantly - many people researched & made a decision to purchase NON-REFUNDABLE tickets based on having that regulation in place. Considering the demographics of skating fans as well...)

Really?

I am sorry but we have been living with this for long enough for ANYONE to know that the "rules" you are playing with today will NOT be the rules you get as soon as next week.

I have tickets to Europe in March, when I bought them as a vaccinated traveler I didn't have to test to go to the destination and had to test 3 days in advance to come home. Now I have to test to go to the country and test one day in advance to come and by March.... who the HECK knows. The ONLY thing I am 100% sure of "they will change and I will adapt"

I bought tickets to one event where the rules changed several times. We finally did not go but we didn't expect a refund. It's just a risk of the current environment IMHO. If the protocols were incredibly important to me I would not buy until the last minute to make sure I knew them.

Anyone who buys tickets NOW for an event in January assuming "nothing will change" is not paying attention. Buying in April for an event in January assuming "nothing will change" is just not realistic.

And then of course there's the FSU "selective" policy enforcement irony. They should enforce policies on vaccination (that are no longer in place) but not enforce policies on coming and going during the event because we want to be able to leave and come back even thought at policy was in place when we purchased tickets

Last edited:

Yuri

trying not to think about that as i figure out best way to get from airport to hotel downtown :( (also really wish usfs would consider the vax/test regs again -- current situation is unknown, ***** is spreading even in high-vax areas, AND - most importantly - many people researched & made a decision to purchase NON-REFUNDABLE tickets based on having that regulation in place. Considering the demographics of skating fans as well...)
...and MANY of us purchased the most expensive all-event ticket packages when they went on sale back in the spring when there were no arena restrictions and it seemed unlikely they would be put back in place. But YNW has a mind of its own...

Yesterday we made our final commitments to attending by purchasing relatively cheap airline tickets from a mid-Atlantic US airport to Nashville for $205 per person. So many people had complained about high airline ticket prices that I hadn't bothered to check them out. Ultimately, we will save a lot of money by avoiding two nights of hotels for a 700-800 mile drive, gasoline and food on the road, plus expensive parking in downtown Nashville when we plan on walking everywhere since we are at the Cambria a couple blocks away from the Bridgestone Arena and the Renaissance Nashville. We weren't planning on going to the practice rink anyway.

We were also pleased to see that the USFS is holding the special events like the RISE Reunion on Friday from 5:00-6:30 pm (Bridgestone Arena), the Hall of Fame inductions on Saturday from 9:30-11:30 pm (Renaissance Nashville Hotel), and the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast on Sunday from 9:00-11:00 am (Bridgestone Arena). With a family member who formerly competed in Championship Dance, US Nationals is as much a pseudo college reunion as a sporting event so being able to congregate and interact with attendees is key to our attendance. Otherwise we would simply watch it all live on TV for free.

I have attended many outdoor (NFL football games and a Rolling Stones concert!) and indoor events this fall without any mandatory protocols for YNW and have found that generally 90-95% of attendees feel comfortable going mask-free. Even at an indoor political educational conference last week where attendees were dominated by politicians who formerly enacted strict protocols in my state. Hopefully people can stop freaking out about it all and simply have a wonderful, fabulous time hanging out in Nashville!!!

sk9tingfan

...and MANY of us purchased the most expensive all-event ticket packages when they went on sale back in the spring when there were no arena restrictions and it seemed unlikely they would be put back in place. But YNW has a mind of its own...

Yesterday we made our final commitments to attending by purchasing relatively cheap airline tickets from a mid-Atlantic US airport to Nashville for $205 per person. So many people had complained about high airline ticket prices that I hadn't bothered to check them out. Ultimately, we will save a lot of money by avoiding two nights of hotels for a 700-800 mile drive, gasoline and food on the road, plus expensive parking in downtown Nashville when we plan on walking everywhere since we are at the Cambria a couple blocks away from the Bridgestone Arena and the Renaissance Nashville. We weren't planning on going to the practice rink anyway.

We were also pleased to see that the USFS is holding the special events like the RISE Reunion on Friday from 5:00-6:30 pm (Bridgestone Arena), the Hall of Fame inductions on Saturday from 9:30-11:30 pm (Renaissance Nashville Hotel), and the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast on Sunday from 9:00-11:00 am (Bridgestone Arena). With a family member who formerly competed in Championship Dance, US Nationals is as much a pseudo college reunion as a sporting event so being able to congregate and interact with attendees is key to our attendance. Otherwise we would simply watch it all live on TV for free.

I have attended many outdoor (NFL football games and a Rolling Stones concert!) and indoor events this fall without any mandatory protocols for YNW and have found that generally 90-95% of attendees feel comfortable going mask-free. Even at an indoor political educational conference last week where attendees were dominated by politicians who formerly enacted strict protocols in my state. Hopefully people can stop freaking out about it all and simply have a wonderful, fabulous time hanging out in Nashville!!!
You might want to consider reading this article posted by the Yale School of Public Health and wear your mask inside of the arena.

Yuri

You might want to consider reading this article posted by the Yale School of Public Health and wear your mask inside of the arena.

The Bridgestone Arena is a 20,000-seat venue for sports, concerts, and conferences. It's not an ice skating rink. Fans can attend a Nashville Predators NHL ice hockey game without ANY protocols including masks. What's so special about figure skating? Are you saying it's not a REAL sport like baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, etc. where most protocols are long gone?

I bet the USFS is going to have a very difficult time enforcing its masking protocols there except in the Arena's controlled areas.

vu2019

i've emailed USFS since the Bridgestone originally dropped the requirement -- as many people made the decision to buy tickets with that safety protocol in place. Never heard back (but i am also not a member)

The current U.S. Figure Skating policy is linked here (scroll down to virus information):

Masks are required to be worn indoors by ALL people (including fully vaccinated people) attending any U.S. Figure Skating-sanctioned event or activity despite local, state or facility policies. Sanctioned activities include competitions (U.S. Figure Skating and Compete USA), exhibitions/performances and test sessions.

sk9tingfan

The Bridgestone Arena is a 20,000-seat venue for sports, concerts, and conferences. It's not an ice skating rink. Fans can attend a Nashville Predators NHL ice hockey game without ANY protocols including masks. What's so special about figure skating? Are you saying it's not a REAL sport like baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, etc. where most protocols are long gone?

I bet the USFS is going to have a very difficult time enforcing its masking protocols there except in the Arena's controlled areas.
You obviously don't get the science or haven't read the article. Technically, the Bridgestone arena becomes a mammoth ice arena from which evaporation of the ice surface attracts and is able to carry viral particles. In addition, Bridgestone is an aging arena with not the latest and greatest in terms of air filtration systems.

Carolla5501

You obviously don't get the science or haven't read the article. Technically, the Bridgestone arena becomes a mammoth ice arena from which evaporation of the ice surface attracts and is able to carry viral particles. In addition, Bridgestone is an aging arena with not the latest and greatest in terms of air filtration systems.

You know sometimes you just have to realize you have to people on ignore

This poster is not going to let science get in the way of their determination to not only risk other people but also risk the life of their 81-year-old mother.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
No shuttle service? Championship ladies finals not on Saturday evening? Required masking?

What has this event become?

I am old enough to remember when Nationals was a premier—and dare I say chic—event. We dressed black tie for the ladies finals on Saturday night. Shuttle service was plentiful and courteous. Smoking was permitted inside the arena. We received complimentary 6.0 paddles,courtesy of Chevrolet.

Now shuttle services have been cut and we are forced to tepidly venture to the crime-ridden Nashville streets. People come to the rink dressed in slovenly pajamas and carry their belongings in clear trash bags like the common vagabond. Masking is required despite any jurisdiction to do so.

A most sad state of affairs. What is USFSA doing? I beg lame duck President Cammett to funnel some money from the overflowing cardboard cutout coffers and make this event worthy of our National Championship.

-BB

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The last I looked (which was last week) the arena didn't have a vac/negative test requirement, which is up to the USFS to decide. So I'm not all that impressed with the USFS's watching out for the fans.
They haven't had this requirement (and neither does the ISU) all year, yet they have been able to hold events with fans without them becoming super-spreader events. I wouldn't mind a vaccine/test requirement but I don't think it's necessary either.

An arena is still not an ice rink. And, yes, I read the article and I think you are the one who doesn't understand the science. It says clearly that particles in the air are trapped by an inversion layer where cold and warm air meet. In their experiments, the barrier is at about 10 ft. Which is not where anyone in the audience is sitting. We are all above that.

Also, the air circulation in an arena is much better than in an ice rink. Having spent many hundreds of hours in ice rinks, this is very obvious to me. The air in rinks is much colder and much damper than the air in an arena for one thing. Plus you can smell the fuel when the zamboni runs. I have never smelled the zamboni in an arena. I have also often felt a breeze. Plus the arenas don't have those plexiglass barriers for ice skating events.

It's probably not good for the skaters, and possibly the judges/tech panel, but the audience should be fine especially with masks.

Smoking was permitted inside the arena.
Thank god those days are gone!

YukiNieve

They haven't had this requirement (and neither does the ISU) all year, yet they have been able to hold events with fans without them becoming super-spreader events. I wouldn't mind a vaccine/test requirement but I don't think it's necessary either.
I personally know a local event where more than dozen attendees were infected (well, it might not be a "super" spreader, but the event itself did not have a large number of attendees).

sjs5572

Well, I am planning to get my second booster shot a bit early to have some extra protection while in Nashville.

Carolla5501

I personally know a local event where more than dozen attendees were infected (well, it might not be a "super" spreader, but the event itself did not have a large number of attendees).
Sorry but without a reliable report the "I personally know" is about as reliable as me stating "I personally know the Queen of England"

Sylvia

TBD
Copying out the info for the 3 ticketed events mentioned earlier:

Off-Ice Event Ticketing​

RISE Reunion Benefitting the Memorial Fund

Friday, Jan. 7 | 5-6:30 p.m.
$75 - Bridgestone Arena's Patron Club

On the 10th anniversary of the film RISE, Olympic champions will share their memories of making the film at the Memorial Fund Reception inside the exclusive Patron Lounge at Bridgestone Arena. Every $75 ticket purchase is a donation to the Memorial Fund, which will support more than 150 athletes with more than a half a million dollars in scholarship funding this year. Food and two drink tickets will be provided. Purchase your tickets HERE.

Hall of Fame Classes of 2021 & 2022

Saturday, Jan. 8 | 9:30-11:30 p.m.
$75 - Renaissance Nashville Hotel

Welcome two new classes of the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame at a lively Reception at The Renaissance Nashville hotel. Johnny Weir, Sandy Lamb and Gale Tanger represent the Class of 2021 while Tiffany Chin, Vicki Korn and Lucy Joyce Brennan represent the Class of 2022. Your $75 ticket comes with two drink tickets and food will be provided. Purchase your tickets HERE.

Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast

Sunday, Jan. 9 | 9-11 a.m.
$25 ticket (membership begins at $65/annually)
Bridgestone Arena - Lexus Lounge

Join in the fun and support Team USA at the annual Friends of Figure Skating breakfast (hoping to have Polina Edmunds host). This popular event brings Team USA athletes to you in a casual setting perfect for photos in the Lexus Lounge at Bridgestone Arena. Ticket information will be sent to Friends of Figure Skating members soon. If you’re not already a Friend, become a member HERE. Friends of Figure Skating will receive a specific email to join the breakfast and...

NEW! The FOFS Golden Ticket $125

For the first time, U.S. Figure Skating is offering the FOF Golden Ticket, which entitles Friends of Figure Skating to purchase all three above off-ice events at the discounted price of $125.

Carolla5501

Oh and for those you really worried about social distancing you might go look at the Ticketmaster website. You’ll be able to spread out

peibeck

Simply looking
Sorry this isn't in the format some people may prefer, but here is the Event Schedule by day and arena (as of when I got it last weekend):

MONDAY 1/3 - Practice Arena
8:30 am - 9:10 am Junior Pairs, (Group C only)
9:25 am - 11:40 am Junior Men (Groups A, B, C)
11:55 am - 2:10 pm Junior Dance (Groups A, B, C)

MONDAY 1/3 - Main Arena
1 pm - 3:15 pm Junior Pairs (Groups A, B, C)
3:30 pm - 5:45 pm Junior Men (Groups A, B, C)
6 pm - 8:15 pm Junior Dance (Groups A, B, C)

TUESDAY 1/4 - Practice Arena
10 am - 11:15 a.m. Junior Men SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
11:30 am - 1:45 pm Championship Ladies (Groups A, B, C)
2 pm - 3:15 pm Junior Rhythm Dane Warm Up (Group 1, 2 3)

TUESDAY 1/4 - Main Arena
7:45 am - 9 am Junior Pairs SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
9:15 am - 11:30 am Junior Ladies (Group A, B, C)
12 pm - 1:54 pm Junior Pairs SP
2:30 pm - 4:57 pm Junior Men SP
5:30 pm - 7:45 pm Championship Pairs practice (Group A, B, C)
8:15 pm - 10:03 pm Junior Rhythm Dance

WEDNESDAY 1/5 - Practice Arena
8:30 am - 9:45 am Junior Men's FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
10:00 am - 11:15 am Junior Pairs FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
12:15 pm - 2:30 pm Championship Pairs Practice (Group A, B, C)
3 pm - 4:45 pm Junior Free Dance Warm Up (Group 1, 2, 3)

WEDNESDAY 1/5 - Main Arena
7 am - 8:15 am Junior Ladies SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
9 am - 11:27 am Junior Ladies SP
12 pm - 2:27 pm Junior Men FS
3 pm - 4:45 pm Junior Pairs FS
5 pm - 5:29 pm Junior Pairs and Junior Men's medal ceremony
5:45 pm - 8 pm Championship Ladies practice (Groups A, B, C)
8:30 - 10:33 pm Junior Free Dance, followed by Junior Dance medal ceremony (ends approximately at 11 pm)

THURSDAY 1/6 - Practice Arena
9 am - 11:15 am Championship Men practice (Groups A, B, C)
11:30 am - 12:45 pm Championship Men SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
1 pm - 2:15 pm Championship Ladies SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)

THURSDAY 1/6 - Main Arena
7:30 am - 8:45 am Junior Ladies FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
9 am - 11:15 am Championship Dance practice (Groups A, B, C)
11:45 am - 2:21 pm Junior Ladies FS, followed by Junior Ladies medal ceremony (ends approximately at 2:40)
3:45 pm - 5:53 pm Championship Pairs SP
6:30 - 9:22 pm Championship Ladies SP

FRIDAY 1/7 - Practice Arena
12 pm - 2:15 pm Championship Pairs practice (Groups 1, 2, 3)

FRIDAY 1/7 - Main Arena
8 am - 10:15 am Championship Men practice (Groups A, B, C)
10:30 am - 11:45 am Championship Rhythm Dance Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
12 pm - 1:15 pm Championship Ladies FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
2 pm - 4:50 pm Championship Rhythm Dance
6:20 pm - 9:52 pm Championship Ladies FS, followed by medal ceremony (ends approximately at 10:20)

SATURDAY 1/8 - Practice Arena
10 am - 11:15 am Championship Mens SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
11:30 am - 12:10 pm Championship Pairs FS Warm Up (Groups 2, 3)
12:25 pm - 1:05 pm Championship Free Dance Warm Up (Groups 2, 3)

SATURDAY 1/8 - Main Arena
8:15 am - 9:45 am EXH Rehearsal (CLOSED TO PUBLIC)
10 am - 10:20 Championship Pairs Warm Up (Group 1)
10:20 am - 10:40 am Championship Free Dance Warm Up (Group 1)
11:45 am - 12:28 pm Championship Pairs FS (Group 1 only)
12:43 pm - 1:30 pm Championship Free Dance (Group 1 only)
2:00 pm - 4:52 pm Championship Men SP
5:44 pm - 7:05 pm Championship Pairs FS (Groups 2, 3)
7:23 pm - 8:54 pm Championship Free Dance (Groups 2, 3) followed by Dance and Pairs medal ceremony (ends approx. 9:30)

SUNDAY 1/9 - Main Arena
7 am - 9:20 am EXH Practice (CLOSED TO PUBLIC)
9:45 am - 11 am Championship Mens FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
11:15 am - 2:50 pm Championship Mens FS, followed by medal ceremony, ends approximately at 3:10)
3:25 pm - 5:40 EXH Practice (CLOSED TO PUBLIC)
6:30 pm - 9 pm Skating Spectacular

Last edited:

YukiNieve

Sorry this isn't in the format some people may prefer, but here is the Event Schedule by day and arena (as of when I got it last weekend):

MONDAY 1/3 - Practice Arena
8:30 am - 9:10 am Junior Pairs, (Group C only)
9:25 am - 11:40 am Junior Men (Groups A, B, C)
11:55 am - 2:10 pm Junior Dance (Groups A, B, C)

MONDAY 1/3 - Main Arena
1 pm - 3:15 pm Junior Pairs (Groups A, B, C)
3:30 pm - 5:45 pm Junior Men (Groups A, B, C)
6 pm - 8:15 pm Junior Dance (Groups A, B, C)

TUESDAY 1/4 - Practice Arena
10 am - 11:15 a.m. Junior Men SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
11:30 am - 1:45 pm Championship Ladies (Groups A, B, C)
2 pm - 3:15 pm Junior Rhythm Dane Warm Up (Group 1, 2 3)

TUESDAY 1/4 - Main Arena
7:45 am - 9 am Junior Pairs SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
9:15 am - 11:30 am Junior Ladies (Group A, B, C)
12 pm - 1:54 pm Junior Pairs SP
2:30 pm - 4:57 pm Junior Men SP
5:30 pm - 7:45 pm Championship Pairs practice (Group A, B, C)
8:15 pm - 10:03 pm Junior Rhythm Dance

WEDNESDAY 1/5 - Practice Arena
8:30 am - 9:45 am Junior Men's FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
10:00 am - 11:15 am Junior Pairs FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
12:15 pm - 2:30 pm Championship Pairs Practice (Group A, B, C)
3 pm - 4:45 pm Junior Free Dance Warm Up (Group 1, 2, 3)

WEDNESDAY 1/5 - Main Arena
7 am - 8:15 am Junior Ladies SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
9 am - 11:27 am Junior Ladies SP
12 pm - 2:27 pm Junior Men FS
3 pm - 4:45 pm Junior Pairs FS
5 pm - 5:29 pm Junior Pairs and Junior Men's medal ceremony
5:45 pm - 8 pm Championship Ladies practice (Groups A, B, C)
8:30 - 10:33 pm Junior Free Dance, followed by Junior Dance medal ceremony (ends approximately at 11 pm)

THURSDAY 1/6 - Practice Arena
9 am - 11:15 am Championship Men practice (Groups A, B, C)
11:30 am - 12:45 pm Championship Men SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
1 pm - 2:15 pm Championship Ladies SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)

THURSDAY 1/6 - Main Arena
7:30 am - 8:45 am Junior Ladies FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
9 am - 11:15 am Championship Dance practice (Groups A, B, C)
11:45 am - 2:21 pm Junior Ladies FS, followed by Junior Ladies medal ceremony (ends approximately at 2:40)
3:45 pm - 5:53 pm Championship Pairs SP
6:30 - 9:22 pm Championship Ladies SP

FRIDAY 1/7 - Practice Arena
12 pm - 2:15 pm Championship Pairs practice (Groups 1, 2, 3)

FRIDAY 1/7 - Main Arena
8 am - 10:15 am Championship Men practice (Groups A, B, C)
10:30 am - 11:45 am Championship Rhythm Dance Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
12 pm - 1:15 pm Championship Ladies FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
2 pm - 4:50 pm Championship Rhythm Dance
6:20 pm - 9:52 pm Championship Ladies FS, followed by medal ceremony (ends approximately at 10:20)

SATURDAY 1/8 - Practice Arena
10 am - 11:15 am Championship Mens SP Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
11:30 am - 12:10 pm Championship Pairs FS Warm Up (Groups 2, 3)
12:25 pm - 1:05 pm Championship Free Dance Warm Up (Groups 2, 3)

SATURDAY 1/8 - Main Arena
8:15 am - 9:45 am EXH Rehearsal (CLOSED TO PUBLIC)
10 am - 10:20 Championship Pairs Warm Up (Group 1)
10:20 am - 10:40 am Championship Free Dance Warm Up (Group 1)
11:45 am - 12:28 pm Championship Pairs FS (Group 1 only)
12:43 pm - 1:30 pm Championship Free Dance (Group 1 only)
2:00 pm - 4:52 pm Championship Men SP
5:44 pm - 7:05 pm Championship Pairs FS (Groups 2, 3)
7:23 pm - 8:54 pm Championship Free Dance (Groups 2, 3) followed by Dance and Pairs medal ceremony (ends approx. 9:30)

SUNDAY 1/9 - Main Arena
7 am - 9:20 am EXH Practice (CLOSED TO PUBLIC)
9:45 am - 11 am Championship Mens FS Warm Up (Groups 1, 2, 3)
11:15 am - 2:50 pm Championship Mens FS, followed by medal ceremony, ends approximately at 3:10)
3:25 pm - 5:40 EXH Practice (CLOSED TO PUBLIC)
6:30 pm - 9 pm Skating Spectacular
Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information