2022-23 US Pairs Discussion - Second to None!

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Mark Sandusky posted something on Instagram that their season was over due to injury. I was sad, bc I really enjoyed them.
what team are we talking about here?
ETA I guess it's Digerness/Sandusky now that I rechecked Karen-W's post listing teams. Also I saw six teams with same last name, quite a few sibling teams I believe

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
what team are we talking about here?
Digerness/Sadusky. They did well at Cranberry, IIRC and I thought they (and Hanns/Neudecker) would be added to the ISP since their scores were similar to Wessenberg/Eisenach, but haven't competed much since.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Digerness/Sadusky. They did well at Cranberry, IIRC and I thought they (and Hanns/Neudecker) would be added to the ISP since their scores were similar to Wessenberg/Eisenach, but haven't competed much since.
Is his name Sadusky or Sandusky? That's what confused me from the post about his instagram.

Karen-W

Kam/O'Shea and Smirnova/Siianytsia have byes to Nats, per a new USFS document (as of Nov 6).

Makes sense. Interesting that that document doesn't mention meeting the TES mins for the teams competing at the Final. Hanns/Neudecker and Ouellette/Newby-Estrella already have them, and Fitzpatrick/Bearinger should get the SP (they were very close at the John Nicks Pairs Challenge), so that really leaves only Lockley/Caputo in question.

ice coverage

... Interesting that that document doesn't mention meeting the TES mins for the teams competing at the Final. Hanns/Neudecker and Ouellette/Newby-Estrella already have them, and Fitzpatrick/Bearinger should get the SP (they were very close at the John Nicks Pairs Challenge), so that really leaves only Lockley/Caputo in question.

The link to the Technical Notification for minimum TES requirements for Seniors (all disciplines) is given twice in the document: bottom of second page, and again in resource list on last page.

Last edited:

Karen-W

The link to the Technical Notification for minimum TES requirements for Seniors (all disciplines) is given twice in the document:
bottom of second page, and again in resource list on last page.
I don't have access to the EMS section of the USFS website, but thanks for confirming there is still a TES minimum. Can you share in this thread what the TES mins are for all 4 disciplines?

2sk8

Makes sense. Interesting that that document doesn't mention meeting the TES mins for the teams competing at the Final. Hanns/Neudecker and Ouellette/Newby-Estrella already have them, and Fitzpatrick/Bearinger should get the SP (they were very close at the John Nicks Pairs Challenge), so that really leaves only Lockley/Caputo in question.
Why does it make sense? Neither team meets the approved Bye criteria, I don't think. I am assuming they must have been assigned to an international event happening very close to this Pairs Final so that they have been given a conflict Bye. Do we know what they have been assigned to yet?

Karen-W

Why does it make sense? Neither team meets the approved Bye criteria, I don't think. I am assuming they must have been assigned to an international event happening very close to this Pairs Final so that they have been given a conflict Bye. Do we know what they have been assigned to yet?
It makes sense because there aren't more than 12 teams that will be at Nationals even if they are granted byes, for whatever reason the USFS comes up with to grant them.

The speculation for Kam/O'Shea is that they're going to compete in the non-CS IceChallenge pairs competition. Personally, I'd give that a huge side-eye if they were granted a conflict bye to go over to Austria and compete there rather than compete at the US Pairs Final this week, but that's way above my pay grade and I'm in no way involved with that decision. The way I see it, doing something like that is either going to succeed brilliantly if they skate well or fail spectacularly if they skate poorly. If they skate great, fabulous, they'll have at least earned the TES mins to compete at 4CCs and/or Worlds, but that objective could have been obtained by sending them to Golden Spin next month should they have competed well at the US Pairs Final this week.

As far as Smirnova/Siianytsia, I'm less bothered by them getting a bye to Nationals because they have at least competed this season and pairs teams have exactly 5 potential competitions to qualify for a bye (US Classic, Nebelhorn, Finlandia, and 2 GPs if invited). A team can wind up with a minor injury that takes them out of an assigned Challenger and suddenly, they're scrambling for a 3rd international. That's something that wasn't considered, it doesn't appear, in the criteria for a bye in the pairs discipline compared to the other three disciplines. I would suggest, if I was in a position to do so, that US pairs teams only need to be assigned to and compete in 2 international assignments in order to qualify for a bye to Nationals, and it appears that the USFS has taken this into consideration in the case of Smirnova/Siianytsia.

2sk8

It makes sense because there aren't more than 12 teams that will be at Nationals even if they are granted byes, for whatever reason the USFS comes up with to grant them.
Absolutely see where you are coming from, though in the case of pairs, given their paucity, it seems the better approach might be not even pretending there are any bye criteria because - well, you said it here - it's really whatever reason USFS comes up with to grant them 😂

I agree with you that S/S is less troublesome because at least they have competed, but for a team that has't competed at all, we can only say the reason for the bye is "because Danny." I mean, I'm happy for him, but hard pressed to say that is fair to other potential new teams that might have formed late in the season.

Anyway, not like TBTB care about our opinions anyway LOL.

Karen-W

Absolutely see where you are coming from, though in the case of pairs, given their paucity, it seems the better approach might be not even pretending there are any bye criteria because - well, you said it here - it's really whatever reason USFS comes up with to grant them 😂

I agree with you that S/S is less troublesome because at least they have competed, but for a team that has't competed at all, we can only say the reason for the bye is "because Danny." I mean, I'm happy for him, but hard pressed to say that is fair to other potential new teams that might have formed late in the season.

Anyway, not like TBTB care about our opinions anyway LOL.
Oh, 100% this! I mean, why not just add a caveat, similar to what the GP does for a "return of a split couple" which would allow a past National Champion or National Medalist to be granted ONE bye to Nationals with a new partner.

Are there any other potential news teams that have formed late in the season? Apart from Misha Mitrofanov, who is on his second potential partner since he and Audrey Lu split last winter, I haven't seen or heard anything about any high-level (former Nationals podium finishers) continuing. If there aren't, then I can't hardly be sussed that the USFS gave Kam/O'Shea a bye, even if I do think they should be competing at the Pairs Final rather than going to Austria.

Karen-W

So, who knows where Kam/O'Shea are headed for competition this week, but it doesn't appear to be IceChallenge - @ptvvibezz found the starting orders/detailed results page for that competition (finally, lol) and they're not one of the 4 pairs teams competing.

ETA - and the entries were just updated with Kam/O'Shea entered!

Last edited:

Karen-W

@Sylvia noted over in KnC that Murray/Gillette have been added to the ISP (skating juniors domestically). Also added to the ISP (though we've yet to seem the skate competitively!) are Kam/O'Shea.

Karen-W

Kam/O'Shea were quite good in their debut at the IceChallenge senior pairs event.

Unfortunately, their coach, Drew Meekins, got it a little wrong - https://instagram.com/stories/drew_...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I sent him a DM to explain that this isn't one of the designated pairs comps on the Challenger Series so it doesn't count for SB, but that it does count for TES mins and how great it is that they did earn those so easily.

Here's their SP - https://youtu.be/yuqyzJq9xjs?t=33053
And their FS - https://youtu.be/6nbATOw1EoQ?t=30165

Last edited:

Karen-W

@Sylvia noted over in KnC that Murray/Gillette have been added to the ISP (skating juniors domestically). Also added to the ISP (though we've yet to seem the skate competitively!) are Kam/O'Shea.
ISP also no longer lists Wessenberg/Eisenach, which I think we can take as confirmation they're no longer skating together.

I hope, based on Sectionals results, that the USFS adds Hanns/Neudecker to the ISP and sends them, as well as Kam/O'Shea to Golden Spin. The world needs more pairs teams on the SB list - KamOSh would easily jump into the top 24 and HanNeu would probably land somewhere around 30 with what they're consistently showing so far domestically.

Karen-W

2022 Nationals Qualifiers -

Knierim/Frazier - 205.85 intl**
Baram/Tioumentsev - 194.20 domestic / 171.36 int'l (junior)**
Chan/Howe - 186.48 intl**
Kam/O'Shea - 183.19 intl
Plazas/Fernandez - 166.25 intl
Mokhova/Mokhov - 162.16 intl
Smirnova/Siianytsia - 152.88 intl**
Hanns/Neudecker - 150.40 domestic
McBeath/Bartholomay - 147.29 intl
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger - 143.20 domestic
Ouellette/Newby-Estrella - 138.40 domestic

*Lockley/Caputo - 111.22 domestic (did not earn SP TES min for Nats)

** - still have one GP or GPF competition left prior to Nationals

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
2022 Nationals Qualifiers -

Knierim/Frazier - 205.85 intl**
Baram/Tioumentsev - 194.20 domestic / 171.36 int'l (junior)**
Chan/Howe - 186.48 intl**
Kam/O'Shea - 183.19 intl
Plazas/Fernandez - 166.25 intl
Mokhova/Mokhov - 162.16 intl
Smirnova/Siianytsia - 152.88 intl**
Hanns/Neudecker - 150.40 domestic
McBeath/Bartholomay - 147.29 intl
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger - 143.20 domestic
Ouellette/Newby-Estrella - 138.40 domestic

*Lockley/Caputo - 111.22 domestic (did not earn SP TES min for Nats)

** - still have one GP or GPF competition left prior to Nationals

Will Misha mitrfanov And his partner not be there?

The nationals entries are getting smaller and smaller across all disciplines every year

Amy L

Will Misha mitrfanov And his partner not be there?

The nationals entries are getting smaller and smaller across all disciplines every year

He broke up with the girl he was partnered with earlier on in the summer. I don't know if he has another partner yet.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I wonder how Audrey and Misha would’ve done on the Grand Prix this season if they were together

Karen-W

He already split with the partner that was the partner after Audrey?
They never skated in anything more than one show last spring and were never registered for any of the NQS comps, so who knows how serious the partnership was. A couple weeks ago, he was tagged in a SCoB post with Brooke Barret, who skated junior pairs last season, but there hasn't been any official announcement, so we just will have to wait and see.

Karen-W

What happened with Wessenberg and her partner? They seemed to be on a good trajectory.
No idea. They both keep a pretty low profile on IG, but from what I could tell when I did a search last weekend, they don't appear to be skating together now.

Sylvia

TBD
It appears the partnership of Hazel Collier (who has qualified for next month's Eastern Sectional Singles Final in junior) and Misha Mitrofanov did not work out - SCoB shared this clip of Mitrofanov praticing a lift with Brooke Barrett (8th in Junior Pairs at 2022 Nationals with Levon Davis): https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj3j_ISAMPb/
Belatedly correcting an error in my Oct. 19 post: Hazel Collier did not compete in any NQS Junior women's competitions this season (IIRC, she was dealing with injury for part of the summer) but I can confirm that she plans to continue in singles, likely at the Senior level, next season. She's been listed in the ISP for singles this season.

ETA: Mitrofanov did not enter the U.S. Pairs Final with Barrett so we'll have to wait and see whether or not their partnership is formalized for next season.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
What happened with Wessenberg and her partner? They seemed to be on a good trajectory.
They are no longer listed in USFS' ISP (names must have removed sometime after their 6th place finish in their Challenger Series debut at the U.S. Classic in Lake Placid back in mid-September) so that usually indicates a split. :(

ETA that I missed seeing Karen's post above:
ISP also no longer lists Wessenberg/Eisenach, which I think we can take as confirmation they're no longer skating together.
Digerness/Sadusky. They did well at Cranberry, IIRC
Digerness/Sadusky's NQS high score (145.34) was at the Cup of Colorado back in early August.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information