2022-23 US Pairs Discussion - Second to None!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
So, since it looks like Russia's out for the upcoming season, even with a depleted field due to retirements and splits, the US pairs depth is still second to no other country! Though maybe Canada, Italy or Georgia will fight us on that, lol.

Starting off the season thread with this update from McBeath/Bartholomay who are off to Arizona to debut their SP at the Cactus Competition!

ETA - also copying over @Sylvia's thread from the 2021-22 US Pairs thread - the 2022-23 USFS Team Envelope selections - https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...eason-news-updates-part-x.108528/post-6271692:

TEAM A
Alexa Knierim & Brandon Frazier S-wd/O-6/W-1 (in ISP)

TEAM B
Emily Chan & Spencer Howe S4/4CC-3 (ISP)
Katie McBeath & Nathan Bartholomay S5/4CC-5 (ISP)
Valentina Plazas & Maximiliano Fernandez S6

TEAM C
Sonia Baram & Daniel Tioumentsev J1 (ISP)
Kate Finster & Matej Silecky S7 (still listed for now)
Anastasiia Smirnova & Danil Siianytsia S-wd/JW-4 (ISP)

TEAM D
Megan Wessenberg & Blake Eisenach J4
Cayla Smith & Andy Deng J5 (ISP)
Novice last season:
Margaret Church & William Church
Olivia Mendoza & Aiden Elswick
Estelle Schwab & Jaden Schwab

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
No China in the coming season? Or have they pretty much aligned themselves in the Russia-Belarus side, albeit unofficially?

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
There are currently 6 pairs listed in USFS' ISP (more can be added during the summer competition season):

Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier
Emily Chan and Spencer Howe
Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay
Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia

ISU Junior age-eligible this season:
Sonia Baram and Daniel Tioumentsev
Cayla Smith and Andy Deng

Cactus Classic is the first of 10 NQS competitions for pairs (leading to the U.S. Pairs Final in Lansing, Michigan, November 8-11) and Wessenberg/Eisenach are the other Senior pair team listed as competing in Scottsdale, AZ, with McBeath/Bartholomay.

In Junior Pairs, Baram/Tioumentsev and the new pair of Catherine Rivers/Nathan Rensing are listed to compete.
Ellie Korytek/Timmy Chapman (new) are listed as WD as of today.

Last edited:

shan

Last edited:

Sylvia

Re. Skate Detroit pairs competing this Friday & Saturday:

Chan/Howe, Plazas/Fernandez, Mokhova/Mokhov, Kam/Meyh & Fitzpatrick/Bearinger (new) are the 5 Senior pairs listed;
Isabelle Martins/Aaron Felberbaum (he’s new to pairs, competed in Jr. men last season), Beavers/Kennedy & Flores/Wang are the 3 new Junior pairs, along with Smith/Deng (in ISP), Murray/Gillette, and the Church siblings.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Re. Skate Detroit pairs competing this Friday & Saturday:

Chan/Howe, Plazas/Fernandez, Mokhova/Mokhov, Kam/Meyh & Fitzpatrick/Bearinger (new) are the 5 Senior pairs listed;
Isabelle Martins/Aaron Felberbaum (he’s new to pairs, competed in Jr. men last season), Beavers/Kennedy & Flores/Wang are the 3 new Junior pairs, along with Smith/Deng (in ISP), Murray/Gillette, and the Church siblings.
So tempting to pay for the live stream access just to watch these teams, but I have sewing projects that need to take priority over paying and watching US pairs summer comps skating, lol.

Sylvia

Grand Prix initial assignments today - all 4 ISU Senior age-eligible pairs currently in USFS' International Selection Pool received 2 assignments each, as expected. :)

Skate America: Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier, Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia (GP debut), TBD

Skate Canada International: Emily Chan and Spencer Howe (GP debut), Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay (GP debut)

Internationaux de France (No U.S. pairs)

MK John Wilson Trophy: Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier, Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay

NHK Trophy: Emily Chan and Spencer Howe

Grand Prix Espoo: Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia

Last edited:

moebius

So, since it looks like Russia's out for the upcoming season, even with a depleted field due to retirements and splits, the US pairs depth is still second to no other country! Though maybe Canada, Italy or Georgia will fight us on that, lol.
That's pathetic. Need the Russians and Chinese pairs teams back to make competition more exciting. US pairs dominating is a joke. I would like other countries besides the US to take advantage of the absence of the Russians and Chinese teams.

DreamSkates

That's pathetic. Need the Russians and Chinese pairs teams back to make competition more exciting. US pairs dominating is a joke. I would like other countries besides the US to take advantage of the absence of the Russians and Chinese teams.
I'm not laughing. I think it's a good opportunity for US Pairs and am hoping they earn well-deserved medals. Competitions are about who shows up at a current event, not who is missing, retired, etc.

Sylvia

After the first 2 NQS pairs competitions, the top 3 Senior teams are:

Valentina Plazas/Maximiliano Fernandez 151.08 (102.48 FS) at Skate Detroit
Maria Mokhova/Ivan Mokhov 151.02 (101.00 FS) at Skate Detroit
Megan Wessenberg/Blake Eisenach 147.26 (94.25 FS) at Cactus Classic

Emily Chan/Spencer Howe scored 59.19 in their first outing of their SP yesterday at Skate Detroit and I'm thrilled that they brought back & adapted their 2019-20 debut season FS music to the lovely "Je crois entendre encore" (violin version) from Bizet's The Pearl Fishers! :) (I never got to see the program in person at 2020 Nationals because they WD.)

kirkbiggestfan

Anyone knows if the cranberry cup/open has pairs this year? I don’t see it on the schedule. They can’t find enough pairs?

Sylvia

I wonder if Hazel Collier/Misha Mitrofanov might be ready to show a SP at Cranberry Open? And Chan/Howe their FS?

Side note: Audrey Lu competed at the U.S. Collegiate Championships this weekend and won the silver medal in the Senior Women's event! :) She landed 2A, 3Lo, 3T+2T, 3S+1Eu+2S, 3T (fall), 3S & 2A+2T - 105.22 in FS, 159.51 total.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

I wonder if Hazel Collier/Misha Mitrofanov might be ready to show a SP at Cranberry Open? And Chan/Howe their FS?

Side note: Audrey Lu competed at the U.S. Collegiate Championships this weekend and won the silver medal in the Senior Women's event! :) She landed 2A, 3Lo, 3T+2T, 3S+1Eu+2S, 3T (fall), 3S & 2A+2T! 105.22 in FS, 159.51 total.
Fingers crossed for Cranberry!

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Side note: Audrey Lu competed at the U.S. Collegiate Championships this weekend and won the silver medal in the Senior Women's event! :) She landed 2A, 3Lo, 3T+2T, 3S+1Eu+2S, 3T (fall), 3S & 2A+2T - 105.22 in FS, 159.51 total.

I SURE will miss the big jumping tricks of L&M... big time.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR PAIR

SP
Baram/Tioumentsev 63.66
Chan/Howe 59.19
Wessenberg/Eisenach 53.01
McBeath/Bartholomay 52.89
Mokhova/Mokhov 51.70
Plazas/Fernandez 48.60
Kam/Meyh 45.32
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger 40.88