2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

Vagabond

After taking another look at the Ice Dancing list, I hereby declare it acceptable to call Benjamin Steffan's partner JJVR. Very KVDP-like, innit?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Shevchenko/Eremenko are not happy with the GP assignments and hope that in the future the assignments

i don't blame them, especially considering that two far inferior teams got one.

mjb52

Yes, I find it incredibly confusing. By what criteria do either Davis/Smolkin or Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy deserve GP assignments over Shevchenko/Eremenko? Is it just b/c their junior accomplishments are more recent, while S/E's have dropped off b/c they are a year earlier? With Khuda/Bazin they are a new team who competed last year under unusual circumstances so I get it a little better although I still find it a little weird. I wonder if S/E are especially annoyed in part bc they know they don't likely have much chance at the TBA host spot at Rostelecom (there is one right?) since K/B will most likely get it?

GoneWithTheWind

Yes, I find it incredibly confusing. By what criteria do either Davis/Smolkin or Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy deserve GP assignments over Shevchenko/Eremenko? Is it just b/c their junior accomplishments are more recent, while S/E's have dropped off b/c they are a year earlier? With Khuda/Bazin they are a new team who competed last year under unusual circumstances so I get it a little better although I still find it a little weird. I wonder if S/E are especially annoyed in part bc they know they don't likely have much chance at the TBA host spot at Rostelecom (there is one right?) since K/B will most likely get it?
S/E are higher on the Season's Best list from 2019-20 (26th, 178.08) than D/S (43rd, 165.22) as well as higher on the World Standings list (26th v 34th), so I'm really not sure how D/S got assigned over them. D/S were also assigned over Ushakova/Nekrasov, who placed higher than them at 2020 Jr. Worlds and are also higher on both SB (38th, 169.18) and WS (32nd) lists, though admittedly not by as much of a margin as S/E.

S/N are one place higher than S/E on the WS list (25th) but have a lower SB (30th, 175.17), although the score is from a Jr. event, so would be lower automatically. S/N also medaled at the most recent Jr. Worlds, which I think (although I may be wrong, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can confirm) means they are guaranteed at least 1 assignment?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It's been obvious to me based on recent results vs their actual skating that the politic is strong behind Davis/Smolkin. I imagine Shevchenko/Eremenko would agree with that based on that instagram post. It's baffling to me the push behind that team. I mean we all know one connection but I can't connect the dots as to why that should matter in ice dance so it has to be something else :confused:

Colonel Green

S/E are higher on the Season's Best list from 2019-20 (26th, 178.08) than D/S (43rd, 165.22) as well as higher on the World Standings list (26th v 34th), so I'm really not sure how D/S got assigned over them.
Beyond the obvious ("What's your name? (What's your name?)/Who's your daddy? (Who's your daddy?)"), one would also note that Skate Canada may have chosen to invite D/S from the list of possible invitees based on their own considerations.

For instance, maybe Eteri and Igor are valuable people to have owe you a favour in the coming struggle for the Olympic bronze medal in ice dance.
S/N are one place higher than S/E on the WS list (25th) but have a lower SB (30th, 175.17), although the score is from a Jr. event, so would be lower automatically. S/N also medaled at the most recent Jr. Worlds, which I think (although I may be wrong, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can confirm) means they are guaranteed at least 1 assignment?
I don't think Junior World medals automatically get you a Grand Prix assignment anymore, but they're a pretty good informal indicator that you will.

Sylvia

TBD
Shevchenko/Eremenko are not happy with the GP assignments and hope that in the future the assignments
will be given according to the spotting principal and selection criteria
(quote from Eremenko's Instagram reel post)
"We support Igor [Eremenko], this is his opinion, they are already adults and have the right to their point of view. Our entire team is for fair sport. We still hope that they have a chance to get to the Russian stage of the Grand Prix," said Beetle [Zhuk] and Pork [Svinin].

Rhumba d’Amour

Colonel Green:

Beyond the obvious ("What's your name? (What's your name?)/Who's your daddy? (Who's your daddy?)"), one would also note that Skate Canada may have chosen to invite D/S from the list of possible invitees based on their own considerations.

For instance, maybe Eteri and Igor are valuable people to have owe you a favour in the coming struggle for the Olympic bronze medal in ice dance.

I think they also train in the US, unlike the other eligible Russian teams. AFAIK the host federation has to pick up invitees’ travel costs.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
World Standing below 24 has never counted for anything. SB below 24 and through 75 with GP minimums are eligible for the initial selection, as long as there is space after the skaters/teams guaranteed spot(s) get them and there aren't already three from that country assigned. After the initial selection, the SB list, plus winners of CS events and other early season non-CS events (if listed in the Announcement), makes up the alternates list, at least for non-host substitutions.

Dobre

D/S were also assigned over Ushakova/Nekrasov
Oy! I already typed about my frustration on behalf of Shevchenko & Eremenko in the Dance Hall thread before their own statement. Totally forgot that Ushakova & Nekrasov were skipped as well:(. (I already thought only Shanaeva & Narizhnyy among the Russian junior dance teams were likely to earn a spot on the GP). I feel for U&N and D&S because they should have had a full junior season this past year to earn their way up the ladder. But Shevchenko & Eremenko are getting shafted, and I don't see any reason to think it's about anything other than politics.

Is there any news on Ushakova & Nekrasov?

Sylvia

TBD
I just noticed today on the ISU's GP event page (https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/events/grand-prix-of-figure-skating) that the 2021-22 ISU Grand Prix Announcement is online: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-grand-prix-general-announcement-2021-22/file

Excerpts:

3.1 Confirmation of Participation of Seeded Skaters/Couples
The ISU Members must confirm the participation of the Seeded Skaters/Couples in the two events to the ISU
Secretariat by August 15, 2021. If a Seeded Skater/Couple does not participate in the event(s) for which they
are designated, there will be no substitute event(s).

3.2 Confirmation of Participation of Invited Skaters/Couples
The invitations for participation for Skaters/Couples, besides the seeded ones, will be forwarded to the ISU
Members concerned through the Organizing ISU Member of the respective ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating
event. The ISU Members of these Invited Skaters/Couples must confirm participation to the ISU Secretariat,
and the Organizing ISU Member by August 15, 2021.

3.5 Confirmation of Replacements with respect to Invited Skaters/Couples
All Skaters/Couples invited to replace assigned Skaters/Couples in an individual event of the ISU Grand Prix
of Figure Skating must be approved by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group in accordance with the
procedures outlined in Item 7.6

7.6 Replacements
It is mandatory that an Organizing ISU Member replaces any Pair who withdraws from the event with an
alternate up to fourteen (14) days prior to the Team Leaders Meeting for that event.
For a Women or Men Skater, up to fourteen (14) days prior to the Team Leaders Meeting for that event, it is
voluntary that an Organizing ISU Member replaces any Skater who withdraws from the event who would be
the 11th or 12th entry, but must replace with an alternate any Skater who withdraws if fewer than 10 entries
remain.
For an Ice Dance couple, up to fourteen (14) days prior to the draw for that event, it is voluntary that a host
country replaces any Ice Dance couple who withdraws from the event who would be the 9th or 10th entry, but
must replace any Dance couple who withdraws with an alternate couple if fewer than 8 entries remain.
At the fourteen day mark, consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a
position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the
Organizing ISU Member.
Skater/Couples, who are part of the official Alternate List must be ready to accept an invitation for participation
in an ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event, even on short notice, except if the reasons for refusal are obvious
(injury, illness, conflict with other competitions or with national activities, e.g. seminars, tests, etc.). The
benchmark of such short notice is seven days.
The alternate list needs to be worked through in ranking order for the top 75 ranked Skaters/Couples according
to their Season’s Best. All Skaters/Couples of the alternate list will be grouped in top ranked groups of ten
Skaters, out of which the respective Organizing ISU Member may pick one Skater/Couple for invitation.
Skaters/Couples, who place first in any of the ISU Challenger Series events for 2021/22 and can prove to have
skated the minimum Technical score as mentioned in paragraph 2.3, will be added to the alternate list, bottom
ranked according to their scores.

seabm7

The alternate list needs to be worked through in ranking order for the top 75 ranked Skaters/Couples according to their Season’s Best.

I see a small problem here. ISU used two seasons' best lists, 2019-2020, 2020-2021, for the initial selection. ISU did not say exactly how they are going to merge these two lists to determine a ranking order for the alternate list. Though I can guess what they are going to do.

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I see a small problem here. ISU used two seasons' best lists, 2019-2020, 2020-2021 for the initial selection. ISU did not say exactly how they are going to merge these two lists to determine a ranking order for the alternate list. Though I can guess what they are going to do.

My money is on: let the Federation do whatever they want and ignore their own rules! Anybody want to go in on it with me?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
For US TBA spots, top contendors -

Women- Audrey Shin, Starr Andrews, Gabriella Izzo, Ting Cui
Men- Yaroslav Paniot, Maxim Naumov, Jimmy Ma, Eric Sjoberg
Pairs- Chan/Howe, Serafini/Tran, McBeath/Bartholomay

Now that these contendors have competed... (Serafini/Tran split)

WOMEN
Gabriella Izzo 197, (add Sierra Venetta 186), (add Paige Rydberg 175), Audrey Shin 167, Starr Andrews 158

MEN
Paniot 239, Sjoberg 218, (add in Torgashev 211), Ma 210, Naumov 203

PAIRS
McBeath/Bartholomay 167, Chan/Howe 161

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information