2021/2022 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

Vase

I think given the way the last two years have went it’s anyones game for the Canadian Olympic spots. I wish it would be mandatory they skate (within Canada) together a few times each season before making Nationals pretty much being the deciding result.
I actually fear the next 4 years for Canadian pairs, there’s clearly been no developed plan to help anyone out. Even our top teams have struggles. And W/M have yet to actually compete, will they attend the next event is the big question or is the strategy not to take a chance in competition and hope for a great skate at nationals

Colonel Green

I actually fear the next 4 years for Canadian pairs, there’s clearly been no developed plan to help anyone out.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I agree that there are lots of question marks around what will happen in pairs after Beijing, because none of our younger teams have thus far really managed to break out in a significant way -- but that's something that is, at the end of the day, mainly between them, their coaches, and what their bodies will allow them to do (ever since I learned that Brooke's mother is a former competitive swimmer I've become more concerned as to whether she can remain sufficiently short to continue as a pair skater).

Vase

Just meant I’d like to see more involvement between skaters coaches other teams and Skate Canada. With not much competing going on the past couple years, it has to be tough on the skaters and coaches. I think skate Canada could’ve maybe came up with something other then ‘keep training’
Which I was pleased to find out A good few teams train together in Brantford. But recently heard Zachary Daleman is possibly done skating. Makes me think how many more are on their way to walking away.

And yes Brooke parents are both tall, doesn’t mean she’s gonna be tall, but more likely she will be. With Brooke plagued with injury most of the summer and fall it could be growth related. I see she’s listed for challenge, but wasn’t at the September Performance day, we only have A/A showing up to those along with some junior teams. Guess the October event is soon, maybe Quebec can pull some teams out and strengthen the Senior field

Vase

CBC is streaming the October Hub, with announcers and live scoring. Too bad not many competitors, but juniors P/T scored 40 in junior and A/A scored 59 in senior. If only they could have an actual event.

Vase

Well as Skate America ends means another event closer to Nationals. Looking forward to see how this season ends. I’m thinking the way pairs is going we maybe in for a real twist!

Xsktrx

Well as Skate America ends means another event closer to Nationals. Looking forward to see how this season ends. I’m thinking the way pairs is going we maybe in for a real twist!
Assuming J&R and MTM perform well enough to take the top 2 spots, any thoughts on where the twist might come from? In otherwords who do you see as potentially underperforming and who might rise up to surprise?

puglover

We don't know if they are dealing with an injury, illness, or something else. I hate it when I read the "they should switch partners" oh so helpful suggestions. They have been a committed pair for a long time - I just so want them to do well.

Vase

W/M have looked like a total disaster during the GP before and have looked like a completely different team by the time Canadians rolled around, so who knows what might happen?
I agree, but I believe the past couple years they have peaked at nationals, money and funding maybe the extra incentive to give that push for a great skate, but they don’t following through to the next events have not always the path. Having a tough skate in senior is one thing but being predictable and continuously not being prepared, I’m just expecting a little more

Vase

Assuming J&R and MTM perform well enough to take the top 2 spots, any thoughts on where the twist might come from? In otherwords who do you see as potentially underperforming and who might rise up to surprise?
Not really meaning the Olympic spots, my guess will be in M/M J/R. Though I don’t think MM have had great events this season to actually think they need to step it up to deserve the spot. And J/R I’m beginning to enjoy and seem to be the team that is most improving each time they preform. but song choices are maybe what’s not instantly gave me a WOW
With the way it’s going, I’m thinking the top three podium spots may not be the top three expected.

We don't know if they are dealing with an injury, illness, or something else. I hate it when I read the "they should switch partners" oh so helpful suggestions. They have been a committed pair for a long time - I just so want them to do well.
This article indicates that Walsh was ill recently with a chest infection that required two rounds of antibiotics, and that is why the pair pulled out of the Autumn Classic. I look forward to seeing them improve through the season.

Vase

I’m looking forward to see the improvement this season, without injury or illness sidelining them. I’m sure they’ve been the team with the least competition experience the past two seasons, so they have had to have some improvement with all the training.

Sylvia

TBD
James/Radford article before they make their GP debut together in Vancouver:

Beverley Smith wrote about their programs back in September (after Autumn Classic International and before Finlandia Trophy):

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR PAIRS
James/Radford 190 INTL
Moore Towers/Marinaro 184 INTL
Stellato/Deschamps 169 INTL
Matte/Ferland 168 INTL
Andrew/Adcock 158
Laurin/Ethier 149
Walsh/Michaud 147 INTL
Brasseur/Daleman 140 (summer comp)
Derenisky/Eberl 136

JUNIOR PAIRS
Fredette/St-Louis 131 JGP
Homick/Haubrich 130
McIntosh/Mimar 130 NextGen
Panetta/Thrasher 129 JGP
Carignan/Pierro 127
Schmitz/Taylor 121
Wilberforce/Wright 112
Thibodeau-Mailhot/Villeneuve 107
Nadeau/Andjorin 104

Not sure if I missed anyone who has a bye?

Vase

I hope we see some seniors at challenge, I hear MTM and W/M won’t be there. We may not be seeing many seniors in Regina :(
And if rumours are true B/D are done skating.
I hope Mcintosh has fully recovered.
It’s been a tough season for pairs.
Let’s see W/M do a personal best this week and the same for MTM in Russia.

Xsktrx

I hope we see some seniors at challenge, I hear MTM and W/M won’t be there. We may not be seeing many seniors in Regina :(
And if rumours are true B/D are done skating.
I hope Mcintosh has fully recovered.
It’s been a tough season for pairs.
Let’s see W/M do a personal best this week and the same for MTM in Russia.
What was wrong with McIntosh? Not much about her and Ben from coach Evans on Instagram for several months. If she was injured and it was prolonged that might explain why they are skating Junior this year when last year they posted 166 at Challenge after a short time together and looked to be ready to challenge some of the other senior pairs that have scores a little above that number or are still trying to get there like Andrew and Adcock. An injury might explain the all double double program at the Nextgen camp as well. Hopefully she’s recovered and they can get back on track.

Vase

From a Quebec group they were saying ongoing back injury from Mcintosh, that was present back when she skated with Toste. Looks like she took a much needed break to heal.
It will be good to see them back in competition. I feel all the pairs have had their fair share of struggles getting back out in competition, for the most part this season scores have not been high as maybe expected for even our top teams. A/A seem to be improving each time and looks like she has some triples now with levels 4’s on other elements. Not having an international event maybe not gonna see a big score from them just yet. Steven being British possibly has some paperwork to get completed and holding them off internationally.
Injury and illness seem to be an issue with a few skaters readiness to compete, I wish them all a healthy few weeks preparing for nationals. Cause I’m not sure how many we’ll see at challenge. I like to watch the development of the younger ones, but Eric and Vanessa is who I’m most curious about, they seem to be pushing the bar.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
You know, I realized I haven't enjoyed Canadian Pairs since Paige and Rudi broke up.
Also in ice dance, I miss Weaver/Poje but Piper and Paul make up for that....

Vase

It’s actually a shame Canadian pairs haven’t been able to build some solid teams. I’m a big fan of Piper and Paul, performance they have!

puglover

I was in Vancouver at the Nationals before the 2018 Olympics and Canada looked in good shape in pairs. Meagan and Eric were set to contend for an individual medal and win one they did. Julianne and Charlie looked to be near the beginning of a promising career together and Kirsten and Mike as well as Lubov and Dylan were going to have to fight for the last spot. Sadly, pairs seems often to be more affected by injury, partner issues, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information