2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games, January 9-22 in Lausanne, Switzerland

Sylvia

TBD
Published by the ISU on April 3, 2019: https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...0-winter-youth-olympic-games?templateParam=15

The third edition of the Winter Youth Olympic Games (YOG) will take place from Thursday, January 9 to Wednesday, January 22, 2020 in Lausanne, Switzerland. There will be 76 athletes for Figure Skating - the age limits are:
Singles category [eta: assuming this applies to the female pair skaters/dancers as well], born between January 1, 2003 and December 31, 2005
Male Skaters in Pair Skating and Ice Dance, born between January 1, 2001 and December 31, 2004

On the basis of the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2019 ... an initial set of YOG Quota Places has been assigned to the respective NOCs/Members.
... for Figure Skating and Speed Skating the assignment of remaining YOG Quota Places [ETA: 4 more countries for men/women & 3 more countries for pairs/dance] to be allocated to NOCs/Members will be based on the results from individual events held on the occasion of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating ... during the Autumn of 2019.

ISU Communication No. 2235 - PROVISIONAL QUOTA PLACES FIGURE SKATING & SPEED SKATING – FINAL QUOTA PLACES SHORT TRACK SPEED SKATING 2020 WINTER YOUTH OLYMPIC GAMES (YOG) LAUSANNE/SUI – JANUARY 9-22, 2020 (Figure Skating info published on pages 2-3): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...munications/20742-isu-communication-2235/file

YOG Quota Places based on the results of the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2019 (countries listed in order of qualification):

Women (12)
2: RUS USA
1: JPN KOR CAN GEO AZE HUN FRA ITA

Men (12)
2: USA RUS ITA
1: CAN FRA GEO JPN AZE CZE

Pairs (7)
2: RUS
1: CHN USA ISR UKR FRA ITA

Ice Dance (9)
2: CAN RUS
1: USA GEO FRA UKR

Final entry numbers in each discipline:
16 women, 16 men, 10 pair teams, 12 ice dance teams = 76 figure skating athletes total

3. Timeline for acceptance/rejection of allocated YOG Quota Places and entries
a) April 17, 2019 – Indicative announcement by Members/NOCs having earned YOG Quota Places based on the results of their competitors at the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2019. <snip> ... YOG Quota Places earned at the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships and which by April 15, 2019 are formally confirmed to be relinquished by the concerned Members/NOCs shall be added to the available YOG Quota Places to be earned on the occasion of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figures Skating individual events... <snip>
b) By October 30, 2019 – ISU to publish a summary of YOG Quota Places according the results of the ISU
World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2019 and ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating individual events
season 2019/20, including the number of Judges drawn per discipline per Member, which is scheduled during
October 2019.
c) By November 14, 2019 – Members/NOCs to confirm use of allocated YOG Quota Places to ISU Secretariat
and Members/NOCs on stand-by list to confirm interest in participation to ISU.
d) November 15 – December 15, 2019 – ISU to reallocate unused quota places to Members/NOCs on standby list who had confirmed interest in participation. ISU Members/NOCs being offered an unused Quota Place to
react within 24 hours of receipt of the ISU notification.
e) Until December 16, 2019 – Entries by name by NOCs to be sent to the local Lausanne YOG Organizing
Committee with copy to ISU.
f) From December 17, 2019 – Late Athlete Replacement Period implemented according to IOC late Athlete
Replacement Policy (policy and deadlines to be confirmed/follow by the IOC).

Official website: https://www.lausanne2020.sport/en

---

For reference:
2020 Canadian National Skating Championships are January 13-19 in Mississauga, ON.
2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships are January 20-26, Greensboro, North Carolina.

I haven't found a YOG schedule for the figure skating event dates (may not yet have been finalized?). According to this article, the "Opening Ceremony ... will be the only event where spectators are charged a fee to enter": https://www.insidethegames.biz/arti...o-sports-events-at-winter-youth-olympic-games

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Why no cnd pairs?
The initial quota places for YOG are based on 2019 Junior Worlds results by country. CAN finished as the 7th country in pairs and the cut off was FRA as the 6th placed country.

4 more countries for men/women & 3 more countries for pairs/dance will be added after the results of the 2019 JGP series are known.

Last edited:
Reactions: fan

Erin

Banned Member
They don't actually list an age for the female pairs skaters and dancers. I'm guessing from the way the preamble is worded that it is supposed to be the same as the singles skaters (especially since the regular junior limits are that way) but in typical ISU fashion, it's rather unclear. With those narrow age ranges, I wonder how many countries will have teams that meet the age limits. (I definitely don't have the energy to figure this out)

ninjapirate

For reference:
2020 Canadian National Skating Championships are January 13-19 in Mississauga, ON.
2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships are January 20-26, Greensboro, North Carolina.

2020 European Figure Skating Championships are January 20-26 in Graz, Austria

There's going to be a lot of conflicts and it's going to be interesting to see how it's managed.

RoseRed

They don't actually list an age for the female pairs skaters and dancers. I'm guessing from the way the preamble is worded that it is supposed to be the same as the singles skaters (especially since the regular junior limits are that way) but in typical ISU fashion, it's rather unclear. With those narrow age ranges, I wonder how many countries will have teams that meet the age limits. (I definitely don't have the energy to figure this out)
For dance, Canada, Russia and the US all have multiple teams that meet them. None of the French or Georgian teams on the SB list do (I don't know about their other teams), but one Italian team does (Tuba/Tuba - 2004/2003) and so does one Ukrainian team (Cherniavska/Gorovyy - 2004/2002).

In terms of countries who could get some of the remaining dance spots, I found two Estonian teams and two Israeli teams that meet the age requirements. The Spanish team from JW could do it as well.

So 5 of the 7 countries with spots so far in dance have teams for them (7 teams since CAN and RUS have 2). And then at least three other countries with teams that could qualify. That would bring us to 8 countries / 10 spots. And France probably has a team that I don't know about. If the US and Canada skip it due to how close to Nationals it is, that may hurt, but otherwise they should be able to get close to a full field.

For pairs, Russia won't have a problem filling two spots. China had a team on the JGP that will work (Wang/Huang - 2005/2002). The Ukrainian team at JW meets the requirements. The US could probably find a team to work (I don't know the ages of the teams without ISU bios).

For the 3 spots remaining, Canada has at least one team (McIntosh/Toste).

The situation looks a bit worse for pairs. I'm sure there are some teams I don't know, but I only found 6 countries, which would be 7 spots.

Sylvia

TBD
I was looking on Skate Canada's website for 2019-20 NextGen team info (nothing is published yet) and found their YOG selection criteria document dated March 15, 2019 linked from there: https://skatecanada.ca/nextgen/
Excerpts:
The 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games (YOG) is an important competition in which Skate Canada will named the best possible athletes who meet the eligibility standards. Skate Canada recognises that this competitive event can play a significant role in an athlete’s long-term preparation for Olympic Winter Games. Skate Canada also recognizes that the age eligibility for YOG does not align with Skate Canada’s LTAD and NextGen development guidelines. In addition, the limited time between 2020 YOG and the 2020 National Championship may pose a challenge for some athletes and may affect their decision to participate in the selection process depending on the goals they have established for the 2019-2020 season.
Athlete Selection Criteria
The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will then base its athlete selection to the YOG on the following criteria (in no particular order of importance):
-Best international scores achieved at junior international events in the 2019-2010 skating season
-Qualifying for the 2019 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
Team Selection and Announcement
Skate Canada will announce the Team on the November 26, 2019.
They don't actually list an age for the female pairs skaters and dancers.
Skate Canada's document does:

Singles: To be eligible to participate in the Lausanne 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games, athletes must have been born between 1 January 2003 and 31 December 2005.

Pairs/Ice Dance: To be eligible to participate in the Lausanne 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games, all male athletes must be born between 1 January 2001 and 31 December 2004 and all female athletes must be born between 1 January 2003 and 31 December 2005.

DobrinFan

Medal design has been chosen! Cool design! The 3rd place finisher's design was also pretty cool!
https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/...os-none&fit=around|1060:600&crop=1060:600;*,*

The Medal Design Competition winner said of his design: “It is inspired by Maya Angelou’s quote, “In diversity there is beauty”. This is fitting because the Youth Olympic Games are not only a celebration of human excellence, but also of culture and humanity. The spiral represents a culture of respect, friendship and excellence as young athletes gather at the Youth Olympic Games to celebrate their success. The spiral also celebrates the journey of hard work and dedication made by each individual athlete. These journeys are specific to each athlete, but they all lead to the Youth Olympic Games, where the athletes will compete and showcase their abilities.”

Source: https://www.olympic.org/news/zakea-s-medal-design-reaches-the-top

Last edited:

concorde

In the past, the US designated a competition as the only qualifier. Any idea if the US is following that same model again this time. If so, what is the competition.

If I remember correctly, it was not one of the big 4 summer ones.

emilieh

In the past, the US designated a competition as the only qualifier. Any idea if the US is following that same model again this time. If so, what is the competition.

For ice dance, it was at Lake Placid. They had a separate junior grouping for just the teams that were attempting to qualify for the Youth Olympics.

Sylvia

TBD
Golden West was used for singles in 2015. I don't know if the 2020 YOG selection process or criteria have been published by USFS yet.

sammyf

For pairs, Russia won't have a problem filling two spots. China had a team on the JGP that will work (Wang/Huang - 2005/2002). The Ukrainian team at JW meets the requirements. The US could probably find a team to work (I don't know the ages of the teams without ISU bios).

For the 3 spots remaining, Canada has at least one team (McIntosh/Toste).

The situation looks a bit worse for pairs. I'm sure there are some teams I don't know, but I only found 6 countries, which would be 7 spots.

A few of these ages may be off, but this should be very close to the list of age eligible pairs.

Brooke McIntosh/Brandon Toste CAN J2
Chloe Panetta/Benjamin Mimar CAN J4
Yuchen Wang/Yihang Huang CHN S8
Edita Horňáková/Mykyta Husakov CZE new
Letizia Roscher/Luis Schuster GER J2
Daniela Muntean/Artem Rotar GER N1
Xenia Ahanteva/Valery Kolesov RUS S10
Yulia Artemyeva/Mikhail Nazarychev RUS N10
Ekaterina Belova/Dmitry Chigrev RUS J9
Lina Dreyer/Daniel Shvetsov RUS N11
Tatyana Kuzmina/Alexey Hvalko RUS N5
Milan Matakayeva/Sergei Bezborodko RUS J11
Diana Mukhametzyanova/Ilya Mironov RUS J6
Anastasia Mukhortova/Dmitry Evgenyev RUS N2
Apollinaris Panfilova/Dmitry Rylov RUS J3
Stanislava Vislobokova/Aleksei Briukhanov RUS J5
Sofiya Nesterova/Artem Darenskiy UKR S1
Catherine Fleming/Jedidiah Isbell USA N2
Calista Choi/Daniel Turchin USA new

Pairs (7)
2: RUS - No problem
1: each
CHN -Yuchen Wang/Yihang Huang
USA -Catherine Fleming/Jedidiah Isbell or Calista Choi/Daniel Turchin
ISR -new team
UKR -Sofiya Nesterova/Artem Darenskiy
FRA -Are Liudmila Molchanova/Remi Belmonte eligible?
ITA -Are Giorgia Audenino/Fernando Fossa eligible? Rest of the junior teams are too old

CAN, CZE, GER from JGP quota?

RoseRed

A few of these ages may be off, but this should be very close to the list of age eligible pairs.

Benjamin Mimar is born in 2000, so he's too old. The new Canadian junior team Camille Perrault/William St. Louis should be eligible however.

Willin

I hope that USFS takes this more seriously than a single competition, or at least sends its best and brightest to that competition to compete for the spots. Every other year it feels like the other countries send their best and brightest Juniors allowed by the age limit, but the US seems to send skaters that aren't even on the Novice/Junior National podium (with a few notable exceptions).

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
IIRC, Pulkinen was sent before he'd ever really accomplished anything and has since become competitive. Lewis/Bye also went and medaled. Otherwise, the U.S. Team has not tended to be the top skaters.

Seerek

Based on the schedule, there wouldn't be a conflict with U.S. or Canadian Nationals (though it would be a quick turnaround, especially for Canadian Nationals, and the competitors may bypass the Mixed NOC Team Event).

azcalder

Based on the schedule, there wouldn't be a conflict with U.S. or Canadian Nationals (though it would be a quick turnaround, especially for Canadian Nationals, and the competitors may bypass the Mixed NOC Team Event).

According to this response I received from USFS, "YOG will happen prior to US Champs. The National Qualifying Series will be used to select the YOG Team."

Dobre

According to this response I received from USFS, "YOG will happen prior to US Champs. The National Qualifying Series will be used to select the YOG Team."

That seems like a good idea in that it would include more opportunities for athletes to compete than just one qualifying event.

Gropman & Somerville were supposed to go last time around along with Lewis & Bye; but some organization (The USOC?) decided mid-season not to send a second dance team. So there's no telling if the U.S. will fill multiple quota spots even if they have been earned and/or USFS wants to fill them.

oubik

Pairs (7)
ISR -new team
ITA -Are Giorgia Audenino/Fernando Fossa eligible? Rest of the junior teams are too old

Sammy, Mykyta Husakov is Ukrainian without Czech passport, currently trying to pursue his long time residence in Czech Republic, so the team should be ready to skate later in the season and no way They should be able to take part in Lausanne (as he is holding Ukrainian passport only).

Samurina

Pairs (7)
ISR -new team

Russia
Koshevaya/Bulushanov (from universiade they competed at junior nats)
Pepeleva/Plushkov

China
Yuchen Wang/Yihang Huang
USA
Finster/Nagy
UKR
Holichenko/Pavlov (Nesterova/Derentski will probably be at Euros)
FRA
Hamon/Streaklin
ITA
Contarino/Pauletti
ISR
Not use spot probably
CAN (ALTERNATE)
McIntosh/Toste

Also, how would Czechia get a pair Elizaveta Zhuk/Martin Bidar are not junior eligable.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Russia
Pepeleva/Plushkov

China
Yuchen Wang/Yihang Huang
USA
Finster/Nagy
UKR
Holichenko/Pavlov (Nesterova/Derentski will probably be at Euros)
FRA
Hamon/Streaklin
ITA
Contarino/Pauletti
ISR
Not use spot probably
CAN (ALTERNATE)
McIntosh/Toste

Also, how would Czechia get a pair Elizaveta Zhuk/Martin Bidar are not junior eligable.
The ages for the YO are tighter than ISU juniors. Some of these are not eligible, like Hamon/Strekalin and Finster/Nagy

hanca

Values her privacy
Russia
Pepeleva/Plushkov
Koshevaya/Bushlanov have split up. Bushlanov is now skating with Nika Osipova and they will be competing in seniors because he just aged out of juniors. He is not age eligible for the Youth Olympic Games. He was born in February 1998, he is too old for it.

Pepeleva/Pleshkov will not be able to attend this competition either. Pleshkov was born in January 2000, so even though he is still junior eligible, his age is not eligible for this competition. He is too old.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Skate Canada has put its selection criteria for the Youth Olympics up as part of the NextGen update. Excerpted:
Introduction
The 2020 Winter Youth Olympic Games (YOG) is an important competition in which Skate Canada will named the best possible athletes who meet the eligibility standards. Skate Canada recognises that this competitive event can play a significant role in an athlete’s long-term preparation for Olympic Winter Games. Skate Canada also recognizes that the age eligibility for YOG does not align with Skate Canada’s LTAD and NextGen development guidelines. In addition, the limited time between 2020 YOG and the 2020 National Championship may pose a challenge for some athletes and may affect their decision to participate in the selection process depending on the goals they have established for the 2019-2020 season.
Athlete Selection Criteria
The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will then base its athlete selection to the YOG on the following criteria (in no particular order of importance):
• Best international scores achieved at junior international events in the 2019-2010 skating season
• Qualifying for the 2019 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
Team Selection and Announcement
Skate Canada will announce the Team on the November 26, 2019. The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will select the Team members along with substitute skaters for the disciplines in which Skate Canada has quota places no more than 7 days prior to the announcement of the team. Should Skate Canada not have an allocation of quota places in a discipline, the Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee can select a skater as a substitute pending a possible ISU reallocation of a quota place.

RoseRed

Both Bronsard/Bouaraguia and D'Alessandro/Waddell have indicated that they want to go to this event, so Canada should have some good dance teams despite the proximity to nationals.

Colonel Green

Both Bronsard/Bouaraguia and D'Alessandro/Waddell have indicated that they want to go to this event, so Canada should have some good dance teams despite the proximity to nationals.
My guess would be that skaters who are age-eligible will pick the Youth Olympics. Nationals will still be there next season; this is a unique opportunity.

This will make picking the Junior Worlds team more complicated in some disciplines, though (dance, especially).

Katesk8sgr8s

My guess would be that skaters who are age-eligible will pick the Youth Olympics. Nationals will still be there next season; this is a unique opportunity.
Wouldn’t a skater pick nationals over YOG if they need nationals to go to Worlds? Worlds is maybe higher priority.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information