2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships will return to Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina

Lutzcy

I believe that all practices in the "practice" rink are open and free to the public. The practices in the competition arena are open only to all event ticket holders. If I am wrong, please let me know.

ilovepaydays

Still waiting for my “weekend package” tickets to come in the mail.......

I’ve bought my plane tickets and I will probably stay at the Holiday Inn Greensboro Coliseum. As much as I would like to stay at the Sheraton, the $60/night difference at Hotels.com really adds up!

I’m trying to decide if the Shuttle Pass is worth the $125 - I thought of Ubering but I’m not sure if I will save money.

acraven

There were reports last year that the shuttle ran very infrequently. I didn't use it last year. I was happy with the shuttle the first time Nationals were in Greensboro, but the LOC lost a lot of money on it and had to raise the fee and cut the frequency last time around.

Debbie S

I’m trying to decide if the Shuttle Pass is worth the $125 - I thought of Ubering but I’m not sure if I will save money.
Weekend shuttle pass is only $100 :) :https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/greensborocoliseum/EN/buy/details/0GCUSFWS

There were reports last year that the shuttle ran very infrequently. I didn't use it last year. I was happy with the shuttle the first time Nationals were in Greensboro, but the LOC lost a lot of money on it and had to raise the fee and cut the frequency last time around.
I thought the shuttle was OK last time. Not as good as it was in 2011, but IIRC, it generally stayed on sched (every half hour) and there were buses waiting when the events let out. I stayed at the Sheraton, so I might have had a better experience than those staying at the other hotels. But I think this time, all hotels will be on the same bus route. I did get the shuttle pass this time b/c I decided it was easier than driving back and forth and looking for a parking space/waiting to get out of the lot.

The only Nats shuttle system I thought was bad was San Jose. If I do go next year (and I'm on the fence), I plan to use either the free city 'circulator' type buses (weekdays) or Uber.

Carolla5501

I used public transportation in San Jose both times and never had a problem. It’s also not a horrible walk from the time of the downtown hotels.

mposl

I believe that all practices in the "practice" rink are open and free to the public. The practices in the competition arena are open only to all event ticket holders. If I am wrong, please let me know.

This is from the FAQ on the website:
Q: WHERE ARE PRACTICE SESSIONS HELD AND ARE THEY OPEN TO THE PUBLIC?
A: Practice sessions are held in both the Greensboro Coliseum's main arena and in the adjacent Special Events Center. Practices in the Greensboro Coliseum are only open to All-Event ticket purchasers. Practices in the Special Events Center are free and open to the public.

Carolla5501

Just don’t bring back that singer from a couple of years ago. She must e related to somebody because there was no other reason we would’ve had her

I’m not overly fond of the DJ eithet but I just get out and walk around so I don’t usually have to listen to him too much

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
The only time the music has been loud enough where I had to raise my voice has been during the exhibitions when it's more of a party atmosphere. I've never had an issue with the volume during the competition events.

Debbie S

I think what annoys me about Rusty, DJ, that bad singer, etc, is that they feel like gimmicks to fill time and drag out events. I know that TV dictates a lot of the sched and the dead time, but it's still annoying. It's like, can we get on with the skating? Maybe I am just getting cranky, lol. But the clips I saw of the dog in Vegas were cute, and I don't mind the dancing mascots during ice cuts at NHK.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Greatness is Coming to Greensboro

Greensboro will welcome VegasKingBenny!
#bennyisgreatness #gobennygo

:lol:

livetoskate

That money they spend on Rusty, the dog, a singer or whatever could be better used for skating scholarships. I'd rather see retired skaters who were already going to attend nationals do the little audience interviews and fill the time chatting about their lives.

Carolla5501

I think USFS is trying to show the audience that this is an 'exciting' sport by providing actions during breaks that people might find boring. (NOTE: I said "trying" not "succeeding")

The other part that Rusty plays that is actually important is promoting the sponsors. I think we can't overlook the importance of sponsors and if one of their requirements is that "promote" it to audience, Rusty probably is cheaper than losing a sponsor.

Moto Guzzi

I'm still waiting for my parking pass. I paid for it on December 4 and my credit card statement shows payment was made. I'll contact customer service tomorrow.

Carolla5501

I'm still waiting for my parking pass. I paid for it on December 4 and my credit card statement shows payment was made. I'll contact customer service tomorrow.

oh dear I will purchased mine last week. Guess if it doesn’t show I’ll have to visit the box office

Moto Guzzi

I called customer service at 336-315-8333 after I didn't get a response to my email. I was told my parking pass didn't get mailed out because they didn't have an address or a phone number for me. I know I gave them that information on the form I filled out. The person I spoke with had no explanation for why nobody contacted me by email since they do have that information. :wall:

The parking pass will be mailed out either today or tomorrow.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm seeing a lot on social media about people knitting supplies for displaced or injured animals in Australia.

What are the odds someone could set up a bin at the arena to collect finished knitted items and send to Australia?

Are spectators even allowed to bring in knitting needles?

Debbie S

@Coco I've never seen people knitting at Nats but have no idea about the rules. Generally speaking, though, I remember reading an article not long ago that emphasized that the best way to help out in a natural disaster is to contribute money to orgs that are helping 'on the ground'. It sounds crass, but this article noted several examples of when people around the country/world sent items that weren't needed and created an extra burden for rescue workers to try to find a place to store and distribute them.

Carolla5501

@Coco I've never seen people knitting at Nats but have no idea about the rules. Generally speaking, though, I remember reading an article not long ago that emphasized that the best way to help out in a natural disaster is to contribute money to orgs that are helping 'on the ground'. It sounds crass, but this article noted several examples of when people around the country/world sent items that weren't needed and created an extra burden for rescue workers to try to find a place to store and distribute them.

I personally agree that the way to support this is cash rather than shipping knitted objects across the world. But I had to point out that if you’ve never seen anyone needing you obviously were not at nationals the year of the woman dropped her knitting on the ice during competition

Debbie S

I personally agree that the way to support this is cash rather than shipping knitted objects across the world. But I had to point out that if you’ve never seen anyone needing you obviously were not at nationals the year of the woman dropped her knitting on the ice during competition
LOL, no, I didn't see that. What year/event was it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information