2020 Grand Prix series thread

seabm7

Cross-posting from #TTW to the backwaters of GSD:

And there's Cup of China:

www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions#china

What will happen to these events if these countries don't lift their travel restrictions?

Between South Korea and China, they established a fast-track entry path for a business purpose trip under the discretion of local Chinese government. This fast-track entry allows only movements between the hotel and the business place. I read a news article that says Asiana Airline would run a businesss charter plane to Chongqing (host city for COC) every Friday. So for Koreans, business travel to China is not impossible. Whether they would expand this special permission to Korean athletes is a different matter, though.

Last edited:

greenapple

What happened to the GP announcement?
The GP announcement was never scheduled for the timeline that was that posted in that tweet a couple of weeks ago. Nations are still finalizing rosters. I heard it will be before the end of September but have no specific date.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Some information about Cup of China:

- Yesterday the official account on Weibo posted that it would take place on Nov. 6-8 as planned and the wording seemed to imply that audiences would be allowed. (See my post from the season feasibility thread)

- Today the Chinese federation made an announcement saying that the participants would be limited to 1 group each discipline with those whose 19-20 SBs are in top 75 automatically qualified. Others who wish to take part in (and those who wish to be listed as subs) need to send a video of their FS/FD for selection before Oct. 9.

The fact that the announcement is made by CFSA makes me believe that CoC is very likely to be Chinese skaters only.

Last edited:

maureenfarone

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but is there any information on fans being allowed to attend Skate America? Thanks

Sylvia

TBD
... is there any information on fans being allowed to attend Skate America? Thanks
Nothing official yet.
David Molina says the Grand Prix announcements will come next week, most likely on Wednesday.
I posted this in the "feasibility" thread earlier today, ICYMI - Molina's Sept. 20th tweet wasn't wrong, AFAIK. However, I've heard unofficially that the GP selections announcement by the ISU is being delayed... for a week perhaps?
Krasnopolski and [insert partner name].
Confirmation that he's still skating with Anna Vernikov :D - they (and Bychenko) are listed to compete in the short program event at the Boston Open club competition on Saturday (refer to the U.S. Club Competitions thread in Kiss & Cry).

ETA from earlier in this thread now that I have more info for @Marco:
Is Emmy Ma supposed to start representing Taiwan this past season? She never skated after August Nationals in 2019. Wonder if she is still training and where she is. If in USA, she may be able to compete at Skate America?
I believe Emmy is still training with MJM in the Boston area (she competed with her collegiate skating team this past season). I don’t know if she is eligible to start representing TPE this season and/or if that is her intention.

If Ashley Lin (currently training in the Dallas area) is able to start representing CHN this season, then perhaps she could be considered for Skate America.
Both Ashley Lin (representing Chinese Skating Association) and Emmy Ma (representing Chinese Taipei Skating Union) also are listed to compete at the Boston Open.

Last edited:

jkl

Just for grins and giggles I called the Orleans Arena to ask when Skate America tickets will go on sale. Guess what? The Arena is closed because of social distancing there can be no entertainment. No one knew when it would be able to reopen. So I guess the rumor that Skate America was moved to the brand new rink in Henderson, Nevada is true. 😎

meggonzo

Banned Member
The press release says the competition will still be streamed. I haven't been charged yet for the NBC Gold renewal. There's been speculation that they will move it to the new Peacock service. Hopefully they figure it out soon.

maureenfarone

The press release says the competition will still be streamed. I haven't been charged yet for the NBC Gold renewal. There's been speculation that they will move it to the new Peacock service. Hopefully they figure it out soon.
Here is an article that says a deal has been made with Roku but so far not with Amazon Fire Sticks:

I'm probably irrational, but I am hoping that the Roku app will be up and running in time for SA.

meggonzo

Banned Member
I get Peacock on the flex device from Xfinity. I didn't have to pay extra for it, so wondering if I'll have to upgrade for skating.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

NO spectators allowed at Skate America. Press Release coming out today.😢

It's like that time the vicar caught me talking in church.

This is going to be so weird, like watching Four Continents with about 200 spectators in a 10,000 seat arena.

I wonder if at least press are allowed to attend.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Dear USFS, hope you are reading this thread, I have an idea!

Please set up a fundraiser to fill the arena with photo cutouts of fans, just like this:

ETA: Apparently an email is going out to USFS Friends of Figure Skating to have first dibs on photo cutouts! NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL SYNERGY

BaileyCatts

They are still going to show skating on NBCSN (or Olympic Channel) & NBC network just like they usually do, right? Right? :shuffle:

Debbie S

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information