2020 Grand Prix series thread

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The finals will probably be Virtual, like the Peggy Fleming Trophy...but hopefully at the same time (real time)...but how to get around the time-zone factor for all involved?

Sk8mom123

Hypothetical Pairs Fields- feel free to correct anyone who is in the wrong location or if I am missing anyone...

USA- Cain/Leduc, Kayne/Oshea, Calalang/Johnson, Knierim/Frazier, Tarasova/Morozov, Lu/Mitrofanov, Finster/Nagy
CAN- MT/M, Walsh/Michaud, Ruest/Wolfe, Brasseur/Daleman, Serafini/Tran, Miura/Kihara, Stellato/Deschamps
FRA- DM/Guarise, James/Cipres?, Hase/Seegert, Hocke/Kunkel, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Ziegler/Kiefer (or RUS)
CHN- Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Tang/Yang
JPN ?
RUS Boikova, Mishina, Pavliuchenko, Panfilova, Pleshkov, Kolesov, Nazarychev, Mironov
How do Grand Prix events/assignments work for New teams that haven't obtained minimums yet....thinking of a team like Choinard/Mayr who train in Oakville and represent Austria?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I wish that instead of this set up they would have done a bubble like the NBA is doing. Test everyone, put everyone in a few hotels, and run a competition with virtual audiences only. They could rent somewhere like the Irvine rink (or even half the Irvine rink) where there's 9 surfaces to train on and let the athletes train on different surfaces. Drama, intrigue, and increased safety. That is, if they can figure out the visa situations for every skater. Of course this is more expensive and logistically difficult, but I think it would be the only way to run the Grand Prix with some minimal level of safety.

Oh yeah, because international skaters would just love to go and be in a bubble in the country where the response is an absolute shitfire. :huh: Not to mention the problems many of them would then have getting home. Oh, and let's not start on wanting the judges and officials, almost all of whom fit into the "vulnerable" category based on age, to fly into the US as well! Plus the many older elite coaches. Oh, and don't forget we're also including minors so the bubble would have to include parents/guardians/chaperones for them, and...just where is this money coming from, exactly, even leaving aside the nightmare?

As usual, the ISU's solution heavily favours the big countries and countries that host GPs. Everyone else can go jump, spend thousands of dollars/two weeks in quarantine (probably more), or just not be allowed to skate depending on where from. And let's not even get started on what will happen to scoring when domestic judges are allowed to go wild. May as well write Chen's name on the new world record now, but get ready to erase it in a couple of weeks when Hanyu skates in Japan. It'll be like Nationals scoring all over again, except with real-world consequences.

loopey

Skate America sure is going to come quickly for the skaters, I wish they had pushed the GP back by a couple of months. Also, does this mean the entire judging panel is from the host country?

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Oh yeah, because international skaters would just love to go and be in a bubble in the country where the response is an absolute shitfire. :huh: Not to mention the problems many of them would then have getting home. Oh, and let's not start on wanting the judges and officials, almost all of whom fit into the "vulnerable" category based on age, to fly into the US as well! Plus the many older elite coaches. Oh, and don't forget we're also including minors so the bubble would have to include parents/guardians/chaperones for them, and...just where is this money coming from, exactly, even leaving aside the nightmare?

As usual, the ISU's solution heavily favours the big countries and countries that host GPs. Everyone else can go jump, spend thousands of dollars/two weeks in quarantine (probably more), or just not be allowed to skate depending on where from. And let's not even get started on what will happen to scoring when domestic judges are allowed to go wild. May as well write Chen's name on the new world record now, but get ready to erase it in a couple of weeks when Hanyu skates in Japan. It'll be like Nationals scoring all over again, except with real-world consequences.
I eagerly await your 10,000 word screed the next time Vincent Zhou is credited with a fully rotated quad.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member

And your solution is to do what,dear? Replace Skate America with Cup of Queensland?

-BB

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
@misskarne I mean... I don't get what you expect, but the funny thing is that Kerry is not training in Australia (right?), and maybe Kailani Craine isn't in Australia either but rather still in the US? I don't know that either of them would've been on the GP roster and now they both might get to skate in an event. So who is really missing out? Two dance teams (ETA- that had NO shot at the Grand Prix anyways)?

You know damn well that Australians are at a disadvantage because of location, and it seems you really want the world to open up borders and forget about CV just so two decent dance teams can travel to more events because it's just so imbalanced. But this method might actually get Australian skaters on the 'Grand Prix' to begin.

I already brought up the situation of judging panels/tech panels all being from the same country and leniency probably being a thing- but let's be real. These are competitions giving skaters the opportunity to get back into things. Are they back to 100%? Obviously not. Is anyone going to be that hellbent on the results of a likely non-series? Well... probably. But there's no reason for it.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
🤔 I wonder whether the ISU would consider moving Four Continents to a country where the fans are less hostile to foreigners. France would be a good, neutral location and might be willing to host.

Have 4cc in a country that’s not representative of those four continents?

If so I would love for them to have Europeans right here in Los Angeles.

We’re quite welcoming. I’ll even open up my door (well for Guarise, Nikita and Ivan). One a night should do ANL real good!

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Have 4cc in a country that’s not representative of those four continents?

If so I would love for them to have Europeans right here in Los Angeles.

We’re quite welcoming. I’ll even open up my door (well for Guarise, Nikita and Ivan). One a night should do ANL real good!
I believe that Adam Rippon has this phrase embroidered on a throw pillow.

Marco

Is Emmy Ma supposed to start representing Taiwan this past season? She never skated after August Nationals in 2019. Wonder if she is still training and where she is. If in USA, she may be able to compete at Skate America?

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

And your brilliant solution that safely included skaters from all countries competing in person without running into travel restrictions or prioritizing what you call "big country" skaters was...?

I'm dying to hear it.

b-man

I would be surprised if SA or SC allowed spectators.
SA is scheduled for the Orleans Hotel/Arena, seating capacity about 8,000. With no spectators, will they move it to a smaller rink and save maybe $25K rental cost. SA has some sponsors, maybe enough to cover the venue cost. Will NBC want to televise an event with reduced foreign entrants, reduced interest? The organizer could sell maybe 1,000 seats, have social distancing, and still have revenue to pay the arena. I think the SC arena in Ottawa is slightly larger, with the same questions.

Japanfan

🤔 I wonder whether the ISU would consider moving Four Continents to a country where the fans are less hostile to foreigners. France would be a good, neutral location and might be willing to host.

It would be best to host 4CCs in a country that actually competes in it.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
SA is scheduled for the Orleans Hotel/Arena, seating capacity about 8,000. With no spectators, will they move it to a smaller rink and save maybe $25K rental cost. SA has some sponsors, maybe enough to cover the venue cost. Will NBC want to televise an event with reduced foreign entrants, reduced interest? The organizer could sell maybe 1,000 seats, have social distancing, and still have revenue to pay the arena. I think the SC arena in Ottawa is slightly larger, with the same questions.

I think there’s plenty enough interest in nationals itself—maybe even moreso than some international events—that there will be interest from nbc. Particularly when you add in that it is an opportunity to broadcast a live sport of some sort.

MsZem

I see the sea
The solution is focused on holding competitive events as safely as possible. It prioritizes skaters who can get to them, whether they represent the host country or not, as well as their health and that of the judging panels. These considerations are vastly more important than anything else.

Chen and Hanyu don't need much help to set world records, and even if they do get them, I'd rather have some ludicrous WR as a real-world consequence than most of the alternatives.

Willin

The NBA has way more :bribe: than any figure skating federation. By an order of magnitude more.
Yeah, that's why it will never happen. I wish it could, though. Anything's better than the current plan from a safety standpoint.

skatfan

funny, last month everyone here was SO POSITIVE the grand prix series was going to cancelled. 🤣 🤣 where y'all at now????

can't wait for vegas and skate america !! 🇺🇲

None of the events have happened yet. ;) Let’s see who can actually come (elderly judges anyone?)

BTW - The attitude about Vegas visitors by the city leaders is that it’s fine for folks to visit for 2-3 days because they don’t appear while sick in town and go home and are sick there and spread it away from Vegas. So have a lovely time in a city that cares squat about your health.

Orm Irian

it seems you really want the world to open up borders and forget about CV just so two decent dance teams can travel to more events because it's just so imbalanced.

I don't know about @misskarne, but speaking as a fellow Australian I would actually prefer the ISU to do the sensible, decent and responsible thing as global citizens and cancel the frelling Grand Prix, not put skaters, coaches and officials at more risk than they already are in order to create opportunity in a way that then automatically denies access to that opportunity for some members of its regular field.

And for the record, judging by her instagram Kailaini is currently at home in Newcastle, New South Wales.

MsZem

I see the sea
I don't know about @misskarne, but speaking as a fellow Australian I would actually prefer the ISU to do the sensible, decent and responsible thing as global citizens and cancel the frelling Grand Prix, not put skaters, coaches and officials at more risk than they already are in order to create opportunity in a way that then automatically denies access to that opportunity for some members of its regular field.
If events can be held safely, giving skaters who want to a chance to compete, why shouldn't they?

Also, in what way is the ISU automatically denying access to anyone? The announcement refers to host country skaters, those training in the host countries, and skaters who can travel within the area of the competition. That covers most skaters who would normally get a GP.

Australian skaters would probably be welcome in most countries. The ISU can't control Australian public health/quarantine regulations; it can only do its best to create opportunities for all - or at least most - skaters.

tony

And for the record, judging by her instagram Kailaini is currently at home in Newcastle, New South Wales.

Who is getting denied access that would've typically been in the Grand Prix? Kailani was a stretch to get one event. Take that up with the ISU selection process that has been in place for many years now. But I have a feeling if this goes forward, we are going to see many skaters who wouldn't have been on the Grand Prix. I wouldn't even look at this like the GP anyways, as I said previously. It's six events that are potentially still going forward so that the entire fall season isn't given up on just yet. It's August. A lot can happen in the next three months for better or worse.

Almost every skater (if not every last skater) is back on the ice practicing. People know how to take the proper precautions of staying safe now. If you are absolutely terrified that you're going to breathe in the air and get CV, then yes, you can sit at home and make other people delivery your groceries and whatever else you may need- by putting them at that supposed risk.

Yes, I know there would be airports and flights and other things to get from A to B. But I haven't heard of any airports being packed or flights being sources of outbreaks. The ice rink is just about the last place I think anyone is worried about, especially during a competition where there will be minimal skaters on the ice for warm-up and practice-- certainly less than their home rink.

The world is in a weird place right now obviously. Everything 'fun' is trying to come back in a responsible way, and yet here we have people taking it so personally because of regulations countries have put on traveling and the ability to go anywhere else, and that the ISU should cater to a country that has a lady and two dance teams that, because of the rules of their own country, unfortunately can't take part in one fall-season event that they wouldn't have otherwise been in, anyways.

And of course, if anyone is high-risk and/or doesn't feel safe, then they don't have to take part. But this isn't a packed bar or beach party we are talking about.

ballettmaus

People know how to take the proper precautions of staying safe now.

In theory. (Although, with their health at stake, I would imagine that skaters/athletes are following those guidelines vigorously. The problem is, they can't control the people around them but each skater needs to assess the risk for themselves and decide whether or not they think it's worth it).

tony

In theory. (Although, with their health at stake, I would imagine that skaters/athletes are following those guidelines vigorously. The problem is, they can't control the people around them but each skater needs to assess the risk for themselves and decide whether or not they think it's worth it).

But they aren't going to have a lot of people around them in a situation like a packed restaurant or bar or beach or house party would present. The plane-- maybe. Transportation? If it's Uber or taxi in North America then masks are required, period. I guarantee there are more people on the ice in their home rink than they will be around in every aspect of getting from A to B except on the plane, and even then it's not as if all flights are packed. I can go to NYC or Chicago almost any day for the next few months for $70 round trip on a major airline (from a major airport). If the seats were consistently full, they wouldn't be going for those prices. I've seen friends traveling on almost empty flights. I know flight attendants that have had flights with 1 or 2 people on the whole plane.

I'm in the higher-risk category because I am allergic to just about everything, have asthma, am dealing with a rib inflammation condition called costochondritis (mimics a heart attack but has nothing to do with the heart), and I also found out through a trip to the ER because of it that my left lung is partially collapsed. I'm not going to go be stupid obviously (and I sure see plenty of people in Miami that are), but I don't think I'd consider much of anything they would have to do travel-wise to be extremely high-risk, to be honest.

Sylvia

TBD
Is Emmy Ma supposed to start representing Taiwan this past season? She never skated after August Nationals in 2019. Wonder if she is still training and where she is. If in USA, she may be able to compete at Skate America?
I believe Emmy is still training with MJM in the Boston area (she competed with her collegiate skating team this past season). I don’t know if she is eligible to start representing TPE this season and/or if that is her intention.

If Ashley Lin (currently training in the Dallas area) is able to start representing CHN this season, then perhaps she could be considered for Skate America.

Christopher Caluza (PHI) lives in San Diego and was so close to getting the FS minimum score for Montreal Worlds (he got the SP minimum at Nebelhorn) - it would be cool to see him get a chance to make his GP debut at Skate America.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

So if AUS can't have skating, no one should have it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information