2020-21 Canadian Men News & Updates

dramagrrl

OMG, Keegan doesn't have WiFi or cable at home?? Cable I understand - I don't have it either and haven't for years; in fact, I haven't had a TV in my home for over a decade - but WiFi?! Crazy! o_O

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
OMG, Keegan doesn't have WiFi or cable at home?? Cable I understand - I don't have it either and haven't for years; in fact, I haven't had a TV in my home for over a decade - but WiFi?! Crazy! o_O
It's possible that he lives in an area that doesn't have good WiFi service.

Former Lurve Goddess

Cost and reliability are the likely explanation. Check out this Anchorage Daily News article on the Alaskan "digital divide."

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Most likely similar to my daughters situation in Nunavut (arctic) where they have to use satellites for their technology as there are no underground cables (permafrost). Wifi is spotty at best as there is no broadband internet and its very expensive. She requires it for her job (scientist) so she is fortunate but its still very slow.

Sylvia

TBD
Beverley Smith's article on Keegan:

Colonel Green

Obviously nothing at all settled until the free, but a lot of things broke Keegan's/Canada's way in the short program. Zhou not making the free removes somebody I think most of us thought was guaranteed a top ten finish, and he's got a big lead on some other heavies like Jin.

screech

Obviously nothing at all settled until the free, but a lot of things broke Keegan's/Canada's way in the short program. Zhou not making the free removes somebody I think most of us thought was guaranteed a top ten finish, and he's got a big lead on some other heavies like Jin.
A lot can definitely happen, especially considering the FP can be kind of iffy for him. but if he skates relatively well, it's not unfeasible for him to make the top 10, which I think is what's needed for 2 spots?

We knew going into Worlds that Keegan was the best bet to score high in the SP. I thought he looked so relaxed in the warm-up and throughout his performance, which is amazing considering the pressure he's under. Here's hoping that he has fun in the free.

Adorably, when Skate Canada posted the results on their instagram, Nam commented with ❤️❤️❤️ and Keegan replied to him "love you too".

screech

Well I guess Skate Canada definitely made the right decision in sending Keegan. What a fantastic FP - the best I can ever remember from him. Nam, Roman and maybe Stephen definitely need to send him their thanks. I'm sure he'll be doing a triple flip first thing when he gets on the ice next.

coppertop1

Keegan is our most experienced mens' single skater and our most consistent (usually). And he showed why tonight l
So who goes to Nebelhorn to get the second spot?

screech

Keegan is our most experienced mens' single skater and our most consistent (usually). And he showed why tonight l
So who goes to Nebelhorn to get the second spot?
Can they only send one person? Or can they send Nam, Roman, and/or Stephen, and have them all battle to get the second spot?

Also, does the person who earns the spot at Nebelhorn have to be the one to go to the Olympics? Or, if for example, Nam placed highest at Nebelhorn and secures the spot, then comes 8th at Canadians, can they send someone else to the Games?

In any case, some of us (myself included) were questioning sending Keegan - not because he didn't deserve it, but because the others did as well. But this just showed that Skate Canada knew what they were doing. So happy for him, and for all our Canadian men.

Colonel Green

Can they only send one person? Or can they send Nam, Roman, and/or Stephen, and have them all battle to get the second spot?

Also, does the person who earns the spot at Nebelhorn have to be the one to go to the Olympics? Or, if for example, Nam placed highest at Nebelhorn and secures the spot, then comes 8th at Canadians, can they send someone else to the Games?
Each country only gets one entry.

The spot is for the country, not the skater, so if Roman were to earn the spot at Nebelhorn it wouldn't preclude sending Nam. You saw a few cases of that at the last Olympics, e.g., Lindfors earned Finland's spot which subsequently went to Peltonen.

screech

Each country only gets one entry.

The spot is for the country, not the skater, so if Roman were to earn the spot at Nebelhorn it wouldn't preclude sending Nam. You saw a few cases of that at the last Olympics, e.g., Lindfors earned Finland's spot which subsequently went to Peltonen.
Thanks for the info. And yikes. That'll be interesting. Unless something crazy happens, I expect they'll send Nam, since he's generally more consistent and reliable. And since most people expected he'd get sent to Worlds (even himself and Keegan).

Canadians will be a bit of a bloodbath in mens. Keegan, Nam, Roman, Stephen and maybe others battling it out for 2 spots.

puglover

What a huge boost to the Canadian team's morale Keegan must be. He may be a slightly unconventional skater but he has certainly come at it by an unconventional route living in Alaska and lifting car batteries for strength endurance. It must be so very hard to put everything into a sport and then cheer for and support your greatest rival. That says something about character. Seeing him wave the Canadian flag was just awesome. I know it will come down to the skating but I hope he makes the Olympic team. His attitude seems infectious.

greenapple

Does anyone know what happened to Stephen Gogolev? Is he training at all?
Stephen Gogolev has been back on the ice for a few months now. He trains in Rafael's senior group with Nathan Chen, Mariah Bell and Michal Březina and is really looking forward to competing at the senior level next season.

I have not seen him personally but have been told that he is now quite tall and is a very handsome young man.

screech

So proud of Keegan and I think his placement at Worlds [should] all but sealed his own spot for the Olympics.
The only way I can see him not make it is if:
- the person sent to Nebelhorn doesn't guarantee the 2nd spot, AND someone beats him at Canadians (unless it's the person who lost the spot at Nebelhorn who beats him at Canadians)

and/or

- he completely bombs at Canadians or is beaten by a fair margin (>10 points)

I'm already thinking ahead to the team event at the Olympics. I'm guessing that SC will choose split the men, with Keegan doing the SP and the other choice (likely Nam or Roman) taking the FP. I'm still unsure whether they will split the pairs or dance (with one team much more likely to perform well than the others, in each discipline)

skatingguy

decently
The only way I can see him not make it is if:
- the person sent to Nebelhorn doesn't guarantee the 2nd spot, AND someone beats him at Canadians (unless it's the person who lost the spot at Nebelhorn who beats him at Canadians)

and/or

- he completely bombs at Canadians or is beaten by a fair margin (>10 points)

I'm already thinking ahead to the team event at the Olympics. I'm guessing that SC will choose split the men, with Keegan doing the SP and the other choice (likely Nam or Roman) taking the FP. I'm still unsure whether they will split the pairs or dance (with one team much more likely to perform well than the others, in each discipline)
I think it's more likely that Skate Canada will have the same skater or couple skate both segments of the event. It's the only way that the Canadian team is going to be competitive for the bronze medal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information