2020-21 Canadian Men News & Updates

shutterbug

There may not be any skating, but there will be news! :lol:

SP sneak peek from Roman Sadovsky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCzuCmhi0tk&list=UUWZJ3gGYI_Qd36YeM_sKbZQ&index=4&t=0s9/
David Wilson will be doing the choreography, but they were just trying out music at the time the vlog episode was filmed.

Keegan Messing took part in one of Ravi Walia's online sessions: https://www.instagram.com/p/B997-Q8JHJ2/
Since he stills seems to be interested in training, might this be a clue regarding his plans for the upcoming season? :D

aftershocks

Banned Member
Roman Sadovsky has a great vlog (Romsky) which gives wonderful insight into his personality and his skating career.

In April he posted a short film that he'd submitted to a current crisis-related short film competition. He did a really great job, and I hope he placed well and received one of the cash prizes!!! :respec:

Roman has also been posting vlogs about his return-to-the-ice progress. :) (y)

ETA:
Oh I see that Romsky mentioned in a later vlog that he made the top 20 in the short film competition. He's really good, and he should feel proud! :cheer2:

Here's an interview Roman engaged in with members of Skate Oakville:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
A new Q&A with Nam Nguyen, who talks about last season, the skate boot problems, self isolation and his favourite place to go last season.

:eek: re the cost of blades and boots!!! It's helpful learning from Nam the kinds of things skaters are facing off-the-ice and day-to-day with equipment and training issues over the course of a season. To participate in this sport is so tough, exacting and expensive. There really must be a great feeling that it gives skaters performing and competing on the ice, in order for them to endure putting up with the costs and huge toll it all can take.

Last edited:

Bellanca

A new Q&A with Nam Nguyen, who talks about last season, the skate boot problems, self isolation and his favourite place to go last season.
Nam: ”Yes and to be very honest, I was more upset that the Stars on Ice tour got cancelled. Touring is so much fun”

:lol: Well, that was honest!
I appreciate that Nam likes touring.:encore:

ETA: I also appreciate that Nam didn't find World’s cancellation to be the end of the world. It sucks, but perspective.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

LOL, one would think that after all the stress and basically having to jump through hoops to get the single spot to Worlds, he would've been more upset about the cancellation.

Also, I loved his response to the question about ISU standings: "I don’t check on it at all during the season mainly because it is too hard to try and find it on the ISU website." :lol:

Bellanca

LOL, one would think that after all the stress and basically having to jump through hoops to get the single spot to Worlds, he would've been more upset about the cancellation
Yeah, no kidding. He’s pretty relaxed about it all.
Also, I loved his response to the question about ISU standings: "I don’t check on it at all during the season mainly because it is too hard to try and find it on the ISU website." :lol:
Boy, that's for sure! :inavoid: Great sense of humor. 🙂

aftershocks

Banned Member
LOL, one would think that after all the stress and basically having to jump through hoops to get the single spot to Worlds, he would've been more upset about the cancellation.

Maybe Nam felt relief after winning the Worlds spot, but there would have been a lot of pressure on his shoulders at Worlds, perhaps similar to the pressure he felt at Cdn Nationals. Or maybe he was prepared to face Worlds as aggressively as he did at 4CCs. I can understand Nam being disappointed about SOI cancellation, since being on tour is more pleasurable than competing (less pressure). Also, he mentions the importance of doing well competitively in order to get the SOI invite in the first place, so having had a good season, missing out on the deserving opportunity to enjoy the tour is understandably more upsetting.

"I don’t check on it at all during the season mainly because it is too hard to try and find it on the ISU website." :lol:

No kidding! I thought I was the only person having problems finding what I was looking for on ISU's non-user-friendly website. :drama: :COP: :(

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Recorded & uploaded by Skate Ontario on June 9, 2020 - Q & A with National Team members Nam Nguyen and Roman Sadovsky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV3Dt3-Gk1Q

Thanks Sylvia! The bit I just saw with Roman describing the uncertainty surrounding updates as to when his rink might open, are mind-boggling. I realize the rink wanted to open and obviously weren't sure when they could, but continuing to give reopening dates that couldn't be met was surely confusing and anxiety-producing for skaters.

Roman is cool in describing his reaction: He recalls the various dates that were given, then throws up his hands and laughs, "'Okay fine, don't even give me updates because it's not helping.' Definitely, the really difficult part was not having an actual target. I always compare it to doing homework... If you have a deadline two months away, you're going to wait 'til the day before until you do it..." :rofl: 'Procrastination is making me waaaaiiiit...' I guess unless you have an organized and disciplined type A personality. ;)

Actually, Roman mentions in his vlogs about how busy he was doing Zoom workouts with his coach and training mates, so he wasn't procrastinating much. And then he entered the short film contest, putting his wonderful 'top-20' submission together over 5 days (with about 30 hours work).

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Both Roman and Nam were great in the conference call with their honest and humorous responses. That part about Roman's hip situation in 2017 sounds scary. I hope his modified technique continues to serve him well! Prayers and fingers-crossed! Roman has so much to offer the sport. It's wonderful to see Nam, Keegan and Roman taking over as the next generation of great Canadian singles men. ♥

I was kerflumped by the way Roman is so matter-of-fact about probably needing to have a hip replacement in his thirties. :eek: I'm gonna need one at some point but that's after living way more decades than him, and it just being a result of hereditary arthritis and the normal bodily wear and tear. Skating athletes really take a lot of banging up. I'm glad there's more physical prep, strategic training and performance recovery knowledge for them to access these days. Nam is lucky to have had no serious injuries. Good luck to these guys in the coming seasons!

Oh and the part about the men generally being much more friendly with each other, despite the competitive nature of the sport, sounds true. Their description of the dead silence in the ladies' locker rooms as opposed to the men's is funny. It could just be an aspect of the generation of men who recently came before who were for the most part friendly with each other and sportsmanlike, and so passing that on to the current generation.

Of course, there were and probably still are some guys who don't get along as well as others. But the U.S. and Canadian guys do seem to share good spirits and camaraderie with each other. As well, Nathan and Hanyu are very respectful toward each other, which sets a good example. In general, it likely has more to do with personalities than with gender. Or maybe it's just that the ladies division has always seemed to be highlighted in the sport with more at stake for who lands on the top step. And now, everything is simply OTT and intense in the ladies field with the Russian phenoms at the top.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada has updated the Next Gen team list: https://skatecanada.ca/nextgen/

Men
Wesley Chiu
Corey Circelli
Beres Clements
Stephen Gogolev
Alec Guinzbourg
John Kim
Iliya Kovler
Eric Liu
Matthew Newnham
Aleksa Rakic
Brendan Wong
JGP competitors Kovler and Guinzbourg both list Lee Barkell as their primary coach (eta: both Kovler withdrew from 2020 Canadians and both were previously coached by Andrei Berezintsev & Inga Zusev in Richmond Hill, ON).

Last edited:

DE93

JGP competitors Kovler and Guinzbourg both list Lee Barkell as their primary coach (both withdrew from 2020 Canadians and were previously coached by Andrei Berezintsev & Inga Zusev in Richmond Hill, ON).
Alec competed at Nationals this year - He won the bronze in Junior Men! :)

Sylvia

TBD
Keegan Messing article that originally was published in IFS' August 2020 issue:
... But honestly, I want the Grand Prixs to take place — even if it is in an empty arena and we have to skate just for a panel of judges. That is me talking because my skating career is limited and losing a season at this point is going to be so hard. Definitely sacrifices have to be made, but I don’t want it (coronavirus) to take any more from us.
It would be terrible if we don’t have a crowd but I want to compete, I want to skate. Watching on television is not the same, but it is better than nothing at this point.
:lol: at this part:
I wanted to get a new hat when I was in Australia. Nam finally gave me back my old one at Four Continents, but I think it might have shrunk a little bit after not being worn for a while. It does not feel like it fits the same since he had it. He probably sabotaged it.

carriecmu0503

Both Roman and Nam were great in the conference call with their honest and humorous responses. That part about Roman's hip situation in 2017 sounds scary. I hope his modified technique continues to serve him well! Prayers and fingers-crossed! Roman has so much to offer the sport. It's wonderful to see Nam, Keegan and Roman taking over as the next generation of great Canadian singles men. ♥

I was kerflumped by the way Roman is so matter-of-fact about probably needing to have a hip replacement in his thirties. :eek: I'm gonna need one at some point but that's after living way more decades than him, and it just being a result of hereditary arthritis and the normal bodily wear and tear. Skating athletes really take a lot of banging up. I'm glad there's more physical prep, strategic training and performance recovery knowledge for them to access these days. Nam is lucky to have had no serious injuries. Good luck to these guys in the coming seasons!

Oh and the part about the men generally being much more friendly with each other, despite the competitive nature of the sport, sounds true. Their description of the dead silence in the ladies' locker rooms as opposed to the men's is funny. It could just be an aspect of the generation of men who recently came before who were for the most part friendly with each other and sportsmanlike, and so passing that on to the current generation.

Of course, there were and probably still are some guys who don't get along as well as others. But the U.S. and Canadian guys do seem to share good spirits and camaraderie with each other. As well, Nathan and Hanyu are very respectful toward each other, which sets a good example. In general, it likely has more to do with personalities than with gender. Or maybe it's just that the ladies division has always seemed to be highlighted in the sport with more at stake for who lands on the top step. And now, everything is simply OTT and intense in the ladies field with the Russian phenoms at the top.

I’m only in my 30s, and I’ve already had a hip replacement. I’ve never been an elite level or even a remotely high-level athlete. Sometimes people just have bad genetics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information