2019 U.S. Figure Skating Champs Camp set for August 24-28, in Irvine, CA

aftershocks

Banned Member
Transferring this conversation from U.S. Ladies thread to a new thread:

When does Champs Camp start? I havent heard a peep.

As for Champs Camp: Do they really want to do that, with all the recent news about “slumber party culture” in USFSA circles...

... they can invite Davydov, Buianova, Tutberidze, or Rafael (allowing him to coach @russian style)...

From a February 2019 article on U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone:

"This August ... Champs Camp is headed to Southern California..." :watch: So, leisure time for the athletes was anticipated, at least in February when the article was written, stating that the athletes might as well 'pack swimsuits and sandals.'

Mitch Moyer is quoted in the article as stating that the federation decided to take into account the difficult issue of athletes having to training for altitude (when Champs Camp took place in Colorado). Therefore, the move to Great Park Ice in Irvine, California, the new home rink "where Rafael Arutunian will already" be based..." ;)

U.S. figure skating honchos certainly need to seek some expert outside advice asap regarding changing its culture and instituting better protections for the athletes. TPTB also need to think about doing some housecleaning management-wise. I do not think they need to cancel Champs Camp because of the recent revelations about athlete parties. Common sense and actually being transparent and facing challenges head-on is preferable to sweeping things under the rug and turning a blind eye. But there's no reason whatsoever to cancel Champs Camp, which is an important annual training meet for the federation's elite athletes.

The article goes on to say that Raf was expected to move to the rink in April, and that practices for 2019 Four Continents were held there. "... skaters — and their coaches — from around the country will be invited to work with Arutunian and his team to see how they operate on the ice." This could mean something expected to happen the week of Champs Camp, as well as on other occasions. "The new facility aims to be a game changer," in how training is conducted. "Arutunian and Moyer hope ... to bring in others to see what progress they can make alongside Raf."

On the U.S. figure skating website the dates for this year's Champs Camp are listed along with the dates of other High Performance summer training camps:

"Champs Camp
Date: August 24-28, 2019
Location: Great Park Ice & Five Points Arena, Irvine, California
*Attended by athletes assigned to a 2019 Grand Prix Series competition. Champs Camp is performance-based. Athletes perform their short program and free skate programs (ice dancing teams: rhythm and free dances) in a simulated competition environment. The camp also includes technical feedback sessions and off-ice sport performance sessions, Primary coaches of an athlete assigned to a Grand Prix Series event are required to attend."

Sylvia

TBD
Skaters with Grand Prix assignments (* = GP debut this year) who will be at Champs Camp:

MEN (6): Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou, Jason Brown, *Tomoki Hiwatashi, *Camden Pulkinen, Alex Krasnozhon (1 GP)
[Skate America TBD]

LADIES (5): Bradie Tennell, Mariah Bell, Karen Chen, *Ting Cui, Starr Andrews (1 GP) [Skate America TBD]

ICE DANCE (6 teams): Madison Hubbell & Zach Donohue, Madison Chock & Evan Bates, Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker, Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter, Christina Carreira & Anthoy Ponomarenko, *Caroline Green & Michael Parsons (1 GP & likely to be the Skate America TBD)

PAIRS (6 teams): Ashley Cain-Gribble & Timothy LeDuc, Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier, Tarah Kayne & Danny O'Shea, Alexa Scimeca-Knierim & Chris Knierim, Jessica Calalang & Brian Johnson (1 GP), Audrey Lu & Misha Mitrofanov (1 GP) [Skate America TBD]

For the second year in a row, there will be young skaters invited there as part of the "Emerging Athletes" program. I've heard that Andrew Torgashev is returning this year, along with the 2019 U.S. junior champs Ryan Dunk, Gabriella Izzo, and Laiken Lockley/Keenan Prochnow, plus U.S. junior silver medalists Avonley Nguyen/Vadym Kolesnik and Audrey Shin.

Junior ice dancer Daniel Tsarik posted this yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1hQlyhn8aa/
[Ella Ales] and I are thrilled to be given the opportunity by @usfigureskating to train in Irvine California during #champscamp before we represent #teamusa 🇺🇸 in our first Junior Grand Prix in Lake Placid, NY! ...
Based on a recent IG story I saw, another Lake Placid JGP teammate, Ilia Malinin, is in Irvine now as well.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Dobre

Depends on whether or not any other ladies currently without a GP assignment have been invited as well.

There is a group photo posted here. Hit the right arrow button twice.

Sylvia

TBD
Megan Wessenberg is standing in the front row between Mariah and Starr. Wessenberg and Amber Glenn are the only ones in the group photo (37 skaters total) who don't already have a GP assignment (eta: Starr has 1 GP invite to NHK Trophy).

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Front row: Madison Chock, Alexa Knierim, Haven Denney, Mariah Bell, Megan Wessenberg, Starr Andrews
2nd Row: Karen Chen, Ashley Cain, Amber Glenn, Audrey Lu, Tomoki Hiwatashi, Caroline Green
3rd Row: Tarah Kayne, Christina Carreira, Jean-Luc Baker, Jessica Calalang, Jason Brown, Danny O'Shea, Ting Cui
4th Row: Madison Hubbell, Kaitlin Hawayek, Bradie Tennell, Vincent Zhou, Brian Johnson, Anthony Ponomarenko, Chris Knierim, Zach Donohue
Top Smattering: Michael Parsons, Nathan Chen, Camden Pulkinen, Tim LeDuc, Lorraine McNamara, Quinn Carpenter, Evan Bates, Brandon Frazier, Alexei Krasnozhon, Misha Mitrofanov

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
The Cains instagram account features a cake photo and another poster thing that says congrats and good luck to Jimmy Ma for "making the team" and to Amber for competing for the 3rd spot at SA. So take that for what you will...

Thank you for re-making my morning!

Also, didnt Jimmy get the TBD last year too?

Tavi

No it does not. The public doesn’t even know it’s going on.

And honestly I don’t think the fans really need to attend. It’s not “fantasy skating camp”. It’s a working event for these people.

Except the fact that people are posting in this thread and a similar one on Golden Skate suggests that at least some members of the public are indeed aware of it and curious. And what’s wrong with that?

Yes, it’s primarily a working event for the skaters and having hordes of fans watching skaters attend various sessions would be counter productive.

But USFS also uses Champs Camp to drum up interest in the new season and for fundraising purposes (“bid on a chance to go to Champs Camp!”). Every year they capitalize on the fact that fans want an inside look at what goes on behind the scenes by posting countdowns to Champs Camp and posting fluff from Champs Camp (“so excited to attend Champs Camp and show my programs!” / “awwww - look at those adorable pictures of skaters with those cute puppies.”). So small wonder that fans are interested in what goes on. USFS wants them interested.

Sylvia

TBD
Also, didnt Jimmy get the TBD last year too?
Yes, but he's not at Champs Camp this year. (ETA: As for Jimmy Ma "making the team" I think this refers to him being added recently to the ISP and getting assigned to the Challenger in SLC.)

I assume Alex Krasnozhon will get the Skate America TBD because he's the only man there who has 1 GP assignment (ditto for Green/Parsons in dance).

Last edited:

tylersf

If no one was curious, why did someone even start this thread?
And if no one was curious, there wouldn't be this much discussion in this thread.

No it does not. The public doesn’t even know it’s going on.

And honestly I don’t think the fans really need to attend. It’s not “fantasy skating camp”. It’s a working event for these people.

tylersf

If you like shopping, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island are also nearby!
I hate to admit that I once spent 8 hours at South Coast with a friend.

I think the skaters are enjoying having Champs Camp in California for the first time:

Camden with Michael P. & Jean-Luc at Newport Beach: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1p2A2MpY89/
(And check out Kaitlin H's Instastories if you can.)

Tomoki got Camden to like sushi ;) (guest appearance by Kazuki Tomono): https://www.instagram.com/p/B1nQ5sbJjHt/

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
If you like shopping, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island are also nearby!
I hate to admit that I once spent 8 hours at South Coast with a friend.

And I thoroughly recommend a "Real Housewives Of Orange County" tour..... Cut Fitness, Coto De Caza, The Quiet Woman, Fig & Olive and Tortilla Republic in Laguna Beach and Heather Dubrows new 150 Billion mansion.
lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information