2019 Athletics Thread

Finnice

Antti Ruuskanen FIN did 85.15 in men's javelin today in his seasons opening. It is over the quali both Doha WC and Olympics in Tokyo.
I know this is not something people here follow. But he and his coach are such good friends for me, I am soooo happy! Making a Worlds and Olys quali is great in every sport!

ilovepaydays

Well, this could certainly result in a shock to the men’s sprints.....

Among my many other thoughts:
1) Coleman has a (heavily rumored) seven figure contact with Nike. He really couldn’t make sure to let his location known for drug tests? Three times? :rolleyes:
2) I bet that Noah Lyles could end up kicking himself for only doing the 200m at U.S. Nationals (and now Worlds).
3) Is Justin Gatlin going to end up winning another world title in Doha? :eek:

Last edited:

vanillashake

Banned Member
You can't blame her for getting in as many events as she can before she is subject to the testosterone restrictions, poor woman!

Poor woman? She got to compete for years with an unfair advantage over everyone else and win a boatload of titles she will keep forever.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Poor woman? She got to compete for years with an unfair advantage over everyone else and win a boatload of titles she will keep forever.

It is not her fault she was born with more testosterone than other women.
Would you take away Phelp's swimming medals because he has the unfair advantage of being genetically different?
(He doesn't build up lactic acid in the same way as other swimmers, so he has a physical advantage that makes him invincible.)

It is a tough decision, hard when you are born female to be told because of a genetic advantage, you cannot compete!

vanillashake

Banned Member
It is not her fault she was born with more testosterone than other women.
Would you take away Phelp's swimming medals because he has the unfair advantage of being genetically different?
(He doesn't build up lactic acid in the same way as other swimmers, so he has a physical advantage that makes him invincible.)

It is a tough decision, hard when you are born female to be told because of a genetic advantage, you cannot compete!

It isn't just her anymore, there were 3 women dominating in the womens 800 event alone in 2016 and 2017 who had the same genetic advantages. Something had to be done. The womens 800 in Rio was an even bigger farce as a drug fested race, despite that AFAIK most were not using drugs.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Fair point!

I don’t think it is though. :shuffle:

WADA etc is trying to fight doping and then you are telling athletes who were born and raised women in a tightly defined category of events that because they naturally produce too much of a certain hormone we are going to force them to drug themselves to reduce this hormone.

In any case, judgejud... I mean “vanillashake” has form on this topic.

taz'smum

I don’t think it is though. :shuffle:

WADA etc is trying to fight doping and then you are telling athletes who were born and raised women in a tightly defined category of events that because they naturally produce too much of a certain hormone we are going to force them to drug themselves to reduce this hormone.

In any case, judgejud... I mean “vanillashake” has form on this topic.

It can be argued either way. Its a difficult issue to resolve.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
It can be argued either way. Its a difficult issue to resolve.

It is most definitely not black or white and if these athletes happened to be transgender I might have a different opinion. It’s the idea of forcing someone to take drugs that are medically unnecessary really doesn’t sit well with me.

taz'smum

It is most definitely not black or white and if these athletes happened to be transgender I might have a different opinion. It’s the idea of forcing someone to take drugs that are medically unnecessary really doesn’t sit well with me.

Yep, being forced to take drugs with the accompanying health risks doesn't sit right with me either.
Surely in an age where there is such a fight against doping, the last thing that should be done, is athletes be given drugs when there is no medical reason for prescribing them.
Every drug carries a health risk!

vanillashake

Banned Member
I am surprised there is anyone naive enough still to believe most top level track and field athletes aren't doing some type of doping. Some just get caught, usually the ones either unlucky or stupid (mostly stupid). That still doesn't mean the truly obnoxious ones who have been caught doping multiple times like Jason Gatlin should not be put into a seperate category and have been long out of the sport.

ilovepaydays

Who else is excited about the World Championships starting tomorrow? :D

I believe The Olympic Channel will have live coverage everyday of the championships.

IAAF World Championships website

What events/athletes are you all excited to see? There are too many for me to list, but I’m calling it now: BOTH the men’s AND women’s 400m hurdles world records are likely to be broken. 💪

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Pre Olympics Year and of course THE EVENT is the Men 400m Hurdles: Benjamin vs Warholm vs Samba!! it all begins today with the Heats

Also for me to follow:
Women 400m - Shaunae Miller, can she go sub 49?? I think she will!
Men 400m - Can Michael Norman get close to that WR??
Men 200m - Noah Lyles vs the clock
Women 100m - Shelly or Elaine?
Decathlon - because those boys are such athletes (and sooo hot many of them) an eye candy!
Women 400m Hurdles - Muhammad vs McLaughlin, another shot at the WR
Men's Pole Vault - Duplantis vs Kendricks, I think both can go above 6.00 in the final

Finnice

I will be watching at home as much as I can (have some work things in the evenings, our time here in FIN is same as Doha). But I will be there Sat the 5th and Sun the 6th. BUT it seems to be one of my worst ideas according to the Finnish media. Anyway, I hope everything goes sans terrorism, the heat does not kill anyone and that all in all it will be great athletics despite it is held in an odd time somewhere very hot.:cheer:

And there is a certain Finnish athlete I wish... I do not believe in jinxing but anyway, the feeling of doing his super best.😍

ilovepaydays

While we are enjoying the World Championships, it’s worth noting that the Berlin Marathon was today.

Video highlights from NBC Sports

Kenenisa Bekele (Ethiopia 🇪🇹) - 2:01:41!!!!! Just two seconds off the world record! :eek:

I demand a showdown between him and Eliud Kipchoge - after Kipchoge does his 1:59 INEOS Challenge later this month.

Ashete Bekere (2:20:14) edged out Mare Dibaba (2:20:21) in the women’s race. 🇪🇹

Also, looking at how the two Americans did (Sara Hall, 5th in 2:22:16 and Sally Kipyego, 7th in 2:25:10), the marathon Olympic Trials just got more interesting.

Last edited:

Lorac

And he did it with 20 seconds to spare. He doesn't even look tired. That was an amazing run and kudos to the pacemakers who worked like a well oiled machine.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Women’s marathon record smashed in Chicago. 2:14:04! Bridget Kosgei is a goddess.
A bit awkward with Paula Radcliffe on hand to supposedly congratulate Kosgei for breaking the course record. Paula clearly didn’t expect the world record to go, or by how much.

I’ve been following Marathon since the late 70s when 2:30 was considered unattainable and 2:14:05 would have been an awesome winning time for a man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information