2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

skatfan

If anyone read her transcript from the radio-interview, she gives an explanation why she changed the music (but kept the choreo). It is not "out of the blue" or "because Mishin wants to".

Туктамышева поменяла музыку в новой короткой: «Решили, что зритель может не понять первый вариант»
- Tukramysheva changed the music because "She decided that in her opinion an average viewer/fan is not capable to understand the meaning of the first version".

Her own words from the interview:
«Все сошлись во мнении, что эта музыка будет немножко непонятной для зрителя, для того, кто уже давно в фигурном катании. Программа получилась очень современная, очень крутая, драйвовая. Мы решили сделать тот же вариант, только под Oblivion Астора Пьяццоллы. Все классно легло», – рассказала спортсменка."

"We (the team) came to the conclusion (opinion) that this music is a bit complex (somewhat not understandable) for the long-time fans/viewers. This programme came out very modern (progressive), very sharp (very cool), very forward (upbeat). So we decided to do a similar version, but to music "Oblivion by Piazzolla". Everything matched perfectly (old choreo - matched the new music perfectly)" - said the athlete (in the interview).

I never said it was out of the blue or because Mishin said so. It appears to have been done without the choreographer’s input. To simply apply moves from one piece to another is not what choreography is. It also has the unfortunate appearance of being cheap and denigrating to the choreographer. I imagine SLB won’t do that again -fortunately she is very high demand.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Oh, yes. Sorry I remembered incorrectly. Anyway, there is a musical named Carnival. There is also State Fair. I wasn't remembering a carousel from it, but there is one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ASc1-we4gI

I haven't watched it for years, but I do not recall any clouds.

There's a TV show called "Carnival Row" coming out soon -- but they would've had to gain very early access to it to start putting a program together to it in the summer.

muffinplus

I never said it was out of the blue or because Mishin said so. It appears to have been done without the choreographer’s input. To simply apply moves from one piece to another is not what choreography is. It also has the unfortunate appearance of being cheap and denigrating to the choreographer. I imagine SLB won’t do that again -fortunately she is very high demand.

This is such a joke. I can't believe she said this with a straight face that SLB choreo fit Oblivion perfectly :lol:...

VGThuy

This is where we are in figure skating right now. We just have to go with it. To be fair, any sort of moves can go with any sort of music so long as you hit accents in the music and if you argue the moves represent some theme or story...or at least argue that it does in a convincing manner. This would be a good argument in favor of Averbukh's pantomiming as one could seriously say that at least with his choreography, Tuk could not as easily do what she did with SLB's choreography.

Tinami Amori

I never said it was out of the blue or because Mishin said so.
I did not mean "you". I only clarified what Tuk meant. I think when she heard the original music and looked at the video, the "images" meant something to her and her "current state of mind and soul". The "persona" in the video is a red-head, in a cool black tough-girl body-tard, all in black, tough and fierce.... It appealed to Liza, as she sees her place and mood now. She went for it... she found a "star choreographer" from the west, because now she made some money and "can afford it"

She was thrilled to have the "new star of choreo" SLB work on her piece, because in Russia and not just in Russia "when a celebrity someone" is willing to work with you, while you're "uprising", it's a status symbol and a "plus".

She was excited, loved it..... then she skated it a few times with a "sound mind" thinking not of "self-expression" and "stretching outwards towards global"....... but "what is inside her that is comfortable".....this was not it..... while "tango", "latino", "gypsy", "fado", "hungarian czardash", etc... is more of what's "inside of us" emotionally. Does not matter if it is "age of Mishin", "me and others of younger gen", "Liza, who is even younger".... we are used to certain sounds, harmonies, sentiments, rhythms...... we love them. The are part of us and our one of the forms of "self expression".

"Oblivion" is a beautiful piece.... it's romantic, soulful, rhythmically great. It has sorrow, emotion, great beat, history, melody to die for, words when applied, the fantasy, the history of the land it came from..... The mystery and history of "La Boca" in Argentina, the many stories sailors brought from their travels.... many stories when "Russian migrants left during the Revolution, to France, when "tango was popular".....

That piece of music has a small piece of musical segment "love is many splendored thing".... mixed into the script.. This was the music during the "times of the revolution" when "Tango" was the only outlet for "fantasy"... I know this from my grand-parents.

Give Liza a break.... she is skating to a beautiful piece of music.

hlp728

Piper has started posting clues about Gilles/Poirier's programs this year, beginning with this image. So...ferris wheel, clouds, moonlight...?

Also, one of the programs features additional music specially recorded by a Macedonian symphony orchestra.
I’m thinking it’s going to be a Joni Mitchell program. The lyrics on the second clue fit “Both Sides Now” with “Moon and Junes and Ferris Wheels.”There’s an orchestral version of it on the album of the same name which is torch song take on her previous songs, so maybe that’s how the orchestra comes into play. The soprano sax (another clue) is featured on this version, but also in the song “Moon at the Window.” Joni is Canadian and with Worlds be in Montreal is kind of fits. We’ll see. I hope so. I wonder if they are using any other Joni songs like “Case of You.” It’s got a great lyric “I drew a map of Canada, Oh, Canada with your face sketched on it” which I think a Canadian audience would love.

Dobre

This would be a good argument in favor of Averbukh's pantomiming as one could seriously say that at least with his choreography, Tuk could not as easily do what she did with SLB's choreography.

First Mishin would take out half the choreography. Then the half that was left would be transferred. (I still say that When You're Good to Mama from Chicago would have been right up Liza's alley).

VGThuy

First Mishin would take out half the choreography. Then the half that was left would be transferred. (I still say that When You're Good to Mama from Chicago would have been right up Liza's alley).

Good point!

skatfan

I did not mean "you". I only clarified what Tuk meant. I think when she heard the original music and looked at the video, the "images" meant something to her and her "current state of mind and soul". The "persona" in the video is a red-head, in a cool black tough-girl body-tard, all in black, tough and fierce.... It appealed to Liza, as she sees her place and mood now. She went for it... she found a "star choreographer" from the west, because now she made some money and "can afford it"

She was thrilled to have the "new star of choreo" SLB work on her piece, because in Russia and not just in Russia "when a celebrity someone" is willing to work with you, while you're "uprising", it's a status symbol and a "plus".

She was excited, loved it..... then she skated it a few times with a "sound mind" thinking not of "self-expression" and "stretching outwards towards global"....... but "what is inside her that is comfortable".....this was not it..... while "tango", "latino", "gypsy", "fado", "hungarian czardash", etc... is more of what's "inside of us" emotionally. Does not matter if it is "age of Mishin", "me and others of younger gen", "Liza, who is even younger".... we are used to certain sounds, harmonies, sentiments, rhythms...... we love them. The are part of us and our one of the forms of "self expression".

"Oblivion" is a beautiful piece.... it's romantic, soulful, rhythmically great. It has sorrow, emotion, great beat, history, melody to die for, words when applied, the fantasy, the history of the land it came from..... The mystery and history of "La Boca" in Argentina, the many stories sailors brought from their travels.... many stories when "Russian migrants left during the Revolution, to France, when "tango was popular".....

That piece of music has a small piece of musical segment "love is many splendored thing".... mixed into the script.. This was the music during the "times of the revolution" when "Tango" was the only outlet for "fantasy"... I know this from my grand-parents.

Give Liza a break.... she is skating to a beautiful piece of music.

I am not questioning that she wants to skate to a piece of music that touches her more - go for it!

The point is that it is not choreography to simply copy all the moves from another piece to different music. Like I said, Liza probably burned a bridge.

Tinami Amori

Like I said, Liza probably burned a bridge.
Liza has not "burned a bridge". The skating world of chore does not revolve around SLB.

Liza was VERY complementary of SLB and her work and her status. She praised and loved it. Just said that "something else" means more to her and how she thinks it may mean to the audience. She said "SLB is great, fantastic work and progamme, innovative, creative, fresh and new, a masterpiece, etc". She loved working with her. But it does not suit in the long run her "view" and "feeling".

skatfan

Liza has not "burned a bridge". The skating world of chore does not revolve around SLB.

Liza was VERY complementary of SLB and her work and her status. She praised and loved it. Just said that "something else" means more to her and how she thinks it may mean to the audience. She said "SLB is great, fantastic work and progamme, innovative, creative, fresh and new, a masterpiece, etc". She loved working with her. But it does not suit in the long run her "view" and "feeling".

Burning a bridge refers to damaging a particular relationship, in this case with SLB. I doubt that Shaw Lynn will work with her again.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
When Krasnapolski was skating with Tankova they came to the nationals with a programme to `50 shades of grey' (Tankova was probably 14 or 15 at that point). By the time they went to some other competitions it was the same programme/costume with a different music.
And then there are these famous video edits of Kwan's programmes from one year to a music of another year matching 100% including the jumps commentary.
Frankly, am kind of glad she changed the music to something she `feels'. I wish she was able to `feel' something other than the gypsy restaurant violin, but here we are...

annie_mg

When Krasnapolski was skating with Tankova they came to the nationals with a programme to `50 shades of grey' (Tankova was probably 14 or 15 at that point). By the time they went to some other competitions it was the same programme/costume with a different music.
And then there are these famous video edits of Kwan's programmes from one year to a music of another year matching 100% including the jumps commentary.
Frankly, am kind of glad she changed the music to something she `feels'. I wish she was able to `feel' something other than the gypsy restaurant violin, but here we are...
Interesting about Kwan...but Kwan had musicality which Tuk lacks. She's not terrible but she's not Kwan. Makes a big difference.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
According to the October issue of IFS magazine (page 11), Papadakis / Cizeron are using 'Fame' as RD.

('Same' seems to be a typo since the description apparently fits 'Fame')

Thanks @jujubi64 for this info in their fan thread!

ETA: I copied the link from FSO and not sure if it works. Here are the relevant paragraphs:

Haguenauer, who crafted their rhythm dance, saw it as an opportunity to show audiences a side of Papadakis and Cizeron that they haven’t seen before — at least in a competitive program. “For Gabriella and Guillaume, we decided to pick the musical ‘Same’ (a 1980s American production set in a dance school),”he said.“It’s a choice for them that is very, very different and we wanted it to be something that’s a little more fun than usual to show people that they can show a different type of self-expression and rhythm …I wanted, for them,something not very serious,so this musical I liked a lot.”
As it turns out,the skaters themselves had their share of fun with it,too.Papadakis said they are “pretty excited to do it.”
“It’s the first time we picked something because we think it’s funny — not funny in a clown way, but just fun. Usually for us it’s something that is moving,it’s touching, it’s poetic.But for this one,it’s more like it’s funny,let’s do it,we’ll see how it turns out.”

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I can't guess how many long distance car trips have been enlivened by the off key warbling of "FAME! I want to live forever!!" by my friends and me.

The entire RD choice has now been upgraded to fabulous, even without the hippety hop part of the Finnstep.

IloveFS

According to the October issue of IFS magazine (page 11), Papadakis / Cizeron are using 'Fame' as RD.

ETA: I copied the link from FSO and not sure if it works. Here are the relevant paragraphs:

I think that is a phenomenal choice for them!!!

Tinami Amori

Burning a bridge refers to damaging a particular relationship, in this case with SLB. I doubt that Shaw Lynn will work with her again.
If there is a logical explanation why Liza changed the music (while keeping the choreo) maybe SLB will understand.. I think Liza got excited by the original video and the "cool read-head acting tough and sexy" and identified with it... But then it hit her "how will it look on ice and how competitive this is" and went with more acceptable..

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

I can't guess how many long distance car trips have been enlivened by the off key warbling of "FAME! I want to live forever!!" by my friends and me.

The entire RD choice has now been upgraded to fabulous, even without the hippety hop part of the Finnstep.

I know mistakes happen, and I'm not ragging on anyone, but it's kind of hilarious that we wait and wait to find out the world champions' RD and then it gets misspelled. :lol:

I knew I remembered a parody of "Fame" being done by someone (I think on Saturday Night Live):

Opening lines:
Baby, listen dear
And tell me what you hear
You ain't heard the worst pop song yet
I'm unknown, but I'll croon with the best

It's a bore from me
You'll want to catch some Z's
One from the song factory biz
Do you know what this is?

SAME!
This song goes on forever
I'm gonna make you all cry

believed

Laurence Fournier-Beaudry/Nikolaj Sorensen (CAN)

RD: Bonnie and Clyde

FD: Michael Buble and Chris Botti

Dobre

I've always like the theme song from Fame.

Laurence Fournier-Beaudry/Nikolaj Sorensen (CAN)
RD: Bonnie and Clyde

So that's three Bonnie & Clydes, though the others are in juniors. (And quite good, IMO, though I've never cared for the Bonnie & Clyde programs I've seen before). Anyway, I'm wondering if F-B&S are going to go for humorous because as far as I can recall that would be a new challenge for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information