2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

skategal

Bunny mama
Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier (CAN):

FD: Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell

I literally can’t wait!

I didn’t think they could top the “Vincent” masterpiece but now I think they will. Wheee!

VGThuy

For a musical that didn't do very well onstage, B&C is pretty popular with skaters!

They want their own Mack & Mabel I guess. :lol: Or I guess the concept of Bonnie & Clyde simply lends itself to male-female ice dancing pairings.

Colonel Green

So that's three Bonnie & Clydes, though the others are in juniors. (And quite good, IMO, though I've never cared for the Bonnie & Clyde programs I've seen before)
Galiyanova/Lochhead and Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy use the same two pieces of music (though the uses of "The World Will Remember Us" is so different between the two programs that it doesn't feel at all the same), so I'll be interested to see what Laurence and Nikolaj use, particularly since their pattern requirements are different. Fingers crossed that some of "Picture Show", my favourite song on that soundtrack, makes it in (though that one would probably make more sense for a junior program since it starts with Bonnie and Clyde when they're kids).

For a musical that didn't do very well onstage, B&C is pretty popular with skaters!
Doesn't surprise me, since it presents two very well-defined roles for the dancers to play.

love skating

Clueless American
Do I get a prize for correctly guessing Both Sides Now? :p:D Anyway, I love the song - one of my all time favorites. And I'm sure they will have a lovely FD, however I see it as being very similar to Vincent and thought that they would do something vastly different as Gilles and Poirier have tended in the past to reinvent themselves every year.

Colonel Green

Anyway, I love the song - one of my all time favorites. And I'm sure they will have a lovely FD, however I see it as being very similar to Vincent and thought that they would do something vastly different as Gilles and Poirier have tended in the past to reinvent themselves every year.
I agree that it seems like it's going for a very similar effect to "Vincent", though I suppose I can't begrudge them the desire to replicate their most well-received program to date.

Plus, it's CanCon for a home Worlds.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Burning a bridge refers to damaging a particular relationship, in this case with SLB. I doubt that Shaw Lynn will work with her again.
She's also a professional. The skater purchases her services as a choreographer. If the skater then decides not to use said services after they've paid for them, that's just business. It's also the skater's right to use the choreographic moves however they wish after they've paid for them. I suspect if Liza approached Bourne again with cash in hand, she'd say what can I do for you?

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
She's also a professional. The skater purchases her services as a choreographer. If the skater then decides not to use said services after they've paid for them, that's just business. It's also the skater's right to use the choreographic moves however they wish after they've paid for them. I suspect if Liza approached Bourne again with cash in hand, she'd say what can I do for you?

We'll never know, because we're not going to be flies in that room, but my guess is Bourne would turn down the request. She's not exactly desperate for work these days and choreographers quite probably take pride in their creative endeavors and could also take offense at the implication that their work is so cookie cutter that it can be applied to any piece of music without significant changes.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
We'll never know, because we're not going to be flies in that room, but my guess is Bourne would turn down the request. She's not exactly desperate for work these days and choreographers quite probably take pride in their creative endeavors and could also take offense at the implication that their work is so cookie cutter that it can be applied to any piece of music without significant changes.
Maybe it would depend on whether or not she needed to buy a new car or add to her IRA account. :)

Tavi

The skater has the right not to use the program, for sure. And since SLB likely created it as a work for hire, Liza probably does own the rights to the choreography. What she doesn’t have the right to do is make substantial changes to a program (such as completely changing the music) and continue to use SLB’s name unless SLB is okay with it. It’s SLB’s reputation as a choreographer at stake, after all. If she feels like the change of music reflects adversely on her, she would be well within her rights to tell Liza not to use her name. If I recall, Rohene Ward has done that at least once because the skater altered his original choreography.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Galiyanova/Lochhead and Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy use the same two pieces of music (though the uses of "The World Will Remember Us" is so different between the two programs that it doesn't feel at all the same), so I'll be interested to see what Laurence and Nikolaj use, particularly since their pattern requirements are different. Fingers crossed that some of "Picture Show", my favourite song on that soundtrack, makes it in (though that one would probably make more sense for a junior program since it starts with Bonnie and Clyde when they're kids).

Doesn't surprise me, since it presents two very well-defined roles for the dancers to play.

I'd love to see someone reference the Broadway costumes (which were very appropriate to the original time period and some were modeled after photos of Bonnie and Clyde) rather than sort of random ice dance. This dress from the musical was a pretty literal take on one of Bonnie's actual dresses and this one would also be a great look to reference.

I assume that people doing this show want to play Bonnie and Clyde themselves, but Buck and Blanche's song You're Going Back to Jail would be kind of hilarious...

starrynight

Honestly, skaters change programs and drop choreography all the time, change music etc. I doubt Bourne is as fragile as you are all making out.

I’ve seen so many skaters change programs and re-use chunks of previous choreography in the new programs.

Given the way singles works the choreography is usually just movements set to the highlights of the music in between all the jumps. Just watch the way some skaters make up exhibition skates to pieces of various choreography from different programs.

Last edited:

mollymgr

I'm so excited about Laurence and Nikolaj's programs. I think they are getting better with each year and they have everything that makes ice dance exciting to watch. I hope they are able to break into the top 5 soon.

Colonel Green

I'd love to see someone reference the Broadway costumes (which were very appropriate to the original time period and some were modeled after photos of Bonnie and Clyde) rather than sort of random ice dance. This dress from the musical was a pretty literal take on one of Bonnie's actual dresses and this one would also be a great look to reference.
Irina's costume I believe is meant to reference Faye Dunaway in the movie.

Tavi

Honestly, skaters change programs and drop choreography all the time, change music etc. I doubt Bourne is as fragile as you are all making out.

I’ve seen so many skaters change programs and re-use chunks of previous choreography in the new programs.

Given the way singles works the choreography is usually just movements set to the highlights of the music in between all the jumps. Just watch the way some skaters make up exhibition skates to pieces of various choreography from different programs.

To the best of my knowledge, noone here said SLB is fragile, and anyway the issue isn’t fragility, it’s the choreographer’s reputation. If SLB doesn’t care, she won’t say anything to Liza, simple as that.

starrynight

At the end of the day, the choreography matters diddle all to Liza. For her, it’s an issue of landing the 3A that’s the most important and that’s what will give her a good placement. If the original music etc was negatively affecting the ability to jump it needs to go. End of story. The judges will place her depending on her technical content and won’t be giving her any boost elsewhere if those jumps aren’t landed.

Anyway, As far as I can recall, Nathan Chen won the world title with a free skate with about 15 seconds of choreography and the rest just jumps.

nuge

I agree that it seems like it's going for a very similar effect to "Vincent", though I suppose I can't begrudge them the desire to replicate their most well-received program to date.

Yes if it was P/C it would be oh they're doing the same style yet again :shuffle:

VGThuy

Maybe some think Gilles/Poirier have sort of earned the right to repeat considering their track record of having wildly different styled programs and pushing what choreography can be in ice dance. Of course, once the program comes out and it's "too similar" to "Vincent" then I believe the complaints will come in though because G/P have like 1/5 of the success of Papadakis/Cizeron, they may not be scrutinized as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information