2018/2019 Grand Prix Final will be in Vancouver

PeterG

I opened up this thread and it took me to the first post since I last was in this thread. Disucssing the JGP event in September and then everyone started talking about food and seating...but I didn't see anyone stating where the JGP event would be held. So I started googling it to find the info...nothing. These FSU'ers already have their tickets for the JGP and I don't even know where it is! :wuzrobbed Finally the light bulb went on and I realized this thread is now discussing two different events at the same time. :duh:

Japanfan

I opened up this thread and it took me to the first post since I last was in this thread. Disucssing the JGP event in September and then everyone started talking about food and seating...but I didn't see anyone stating where the JGP event would be held. So I started googling it to find the info...nothing. These FSU'ers already have their tickets for the JGP and I don't even know where it is! :wuzrobbed Finally the light bulb went on and I realized this thread is now discussing two different events at the same time. :duh:

So they don't have tickets for the JGP, right?

I know that the venue was announced, in Richmond. But I was not aware that tickets had been sold. I don't think it is even necessary to get tix in advance? I can't imagine that a JGP will be a huge draw to the general public.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Someone may come with their regular competition ticket and try to claim it's theirs, but when it says that seating is open on the practice pass, you can sit anywhere open to the public, first come, first served. (Depending on the arena, they sometimes restrict areas where you can watch practice.)

PeterG

JGP will be at Minoru Arenas. The Skate Canada site says to come back later for tickets and more info:
https://skatecanada.ca/isu-junior-grand-prix-of-figure-skating-canada-2018/

All searches I've found lead to the Richmond Sports Hosting (RSH) site. It's not on the RSH calendar, yet, but a Taekwando competition is at the Richmond Oval from September 13-15, which could explain why JGP is being held in Minoru Arenas.

Thanks for the info. Is there a thread for the JGP event in Vancouver? I think if we keep discussing the two Vancouver events in this one thread, I'm going to show up in Richmond for the December Grand Prix Final. :lol:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
"Come back later" isn't really a great thing to say when the competition is only three months away....

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Two months and a week...

Will this JGP be like Autumn Classic and sell out in 20 minutes? Are there any junior headliners who can bring in the crowds from Japan? They may assume it will be families and locals who show up.

Dobre

Two months and a week...

Will this JGP be like Autumn Classic and sell out in 20 minutes? Are there any junior headliners who can bring in the crowds from Japan?

I would be surprised. Kihira and Yamashita are moving up to seniors. No one else from Japan medaled at Junior Worlds. Sumoto did win bronze at the JGPF. He would be likely to come to Canada, I think, but as far as headliners go, last year was something of a rebuilding year for Japan outside of Kihira. (I like Nana Araki, but not sure whether to expect her in Canada as she finished behind Yokoi at Nationals).

kalamalka

(Continuing the thread diversion) The only JGP I remember hearing about selling out was the one in Japan 2 years ago. The ISU has now posted the event announcement, which includes a preliminary schedule on p 10: practices all day Wednesday; competition starts at 10:30 on Thursday (LS, rhythm dance, MS ), noon on Friday (PS, LF, FD) and 12:30 Saturday (MF, PF) Entries are due August 10.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This is a JGP- with small audiences, no media and not much publicity needed there is plenty of time. This isn't Nationals or even Skate Canada. And they only got the event a couple of weeks ago.

I know what the event is and what size it is. If they had enough plans in place to be awarded the event, they should at least be able to give an idea of when tickets will go on sale.

kalamalka

I know what the event is and what size it is. If they had enough plans in place to be awarded the event, they should at least be able to give an idea of when tickets will go on sale.
That's a bit harsh. In Zagreb 3 years ago, not only was there no information for spectators (it turned out to be free), but when I got to the arena with a local, there was no staff at the locked main doors or box office and nothing posted about how to get in. We had to ask and follow a skater and coach around to a back entrance. Spectators at most JGPS do not seem to be a priority. The only local publicity I saw at 4 European events over the last 3 years was in Salzburg last year, and they don't usually have websites.

I expect Skate Canada will provide quite a bit more in a reasonable time. Given the type of arena, expect open rather than assigned seating.

Erin

Banned Member

I went to the last JGP event organized by Skate Canada and tickets were only sold at the door, so it’s possible this one will be the same. Granted, things may have changed since 2001 but it also wouldn’t surprise me that given the size of a JGP crowd, they would do it the same way.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I could have gone my whole life without knowing about the delicacy of live baby shrimp.

potatopie

Hi again everyone!

I've got another question about seating. I'm having trouble deciding if I want to stick with my West Bleacher seating or try getting a ticket in the East Bleachers above the K+C. Is the West Bleacher side where the Lutz corner will likely be for the competition? I don't mind not seeing the K+C up close if it means I get a better view of the jumps.

Hi again everyone!

I've got another question about seating. I'm having trouble deciding if I want to stick with my West Bleacher seating or try getting a ticket in the East Bleachers above the K+C. Is the West Bleacher side where the Lutz corner will likely be for the competition? I don't mind not seeing the K+C up close if it means I get a better view of the jumps.

You won’t actually be able to see the kiss and cry from the bleachers above them. The bleachers are set back a bit on the concourse.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting for @Kathryn2001:
If anyone finds a website for the Vancouver GP Final, would love to have the schedule for that.
Official website for the GP/JGP Final: https://skatecanada.ca/2018-isu-grand-prix-of-figure-skating-final/
"New blocks of tickets will be released on Thursday, September 13, 2018, at 10 am PT for the East Bleachers (bucket seats) and the new Kiss & Cry Section (Floor seats located adjacent to the Kiss and Cry). Tickets will be available by day-pass only."

From the FAQ page:
What time are the events and when do the doors open?
The event schedule will be available in the summer of 2018. At this time official practices are scheduled to begin on Wednesday, December 5, 2018 with competition beginning Thursday, December 6 ending on Saturday, December 8, 2018. The Exhibition Gala will be held on Sunday, December 9th, 2018. Competition start times are subject to change up to and including the week of the event. The doors open each day 30 minutes prior to the beginning of the first practice.
Tickets for the JGP near Vancouver (Minoru Arenas in Richmond, Sept. 12-15) are on sale and skate Canada's press release link was posted last Friday in the JGP general discussion thread in GSD here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...n-news-discussion-thread.104116/#post-5383661

Last edited:

kimkom

Decided after all to go to Vancouver for the GPF. If anyone has an extra all-event ticket they need to sell, or know someone who needs to sell a ticket, please PM me. Thanks!

Yay!!! Looking forward to seeing you again! Are you beinging Mr

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Decided after all to go to Vancouver for the GPF. If anyone has an extra all-event ticket they need to sell, or know someone who needs to sell a ticket, please PM me. Thanks!

I wish you had posted a few days earlier. Last week I promised my extra ticket to someone else. Would've been great to have you as a seatmate!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm looking for a ticket too. I didn't realize this would sell out so fast. Plus I could barely remember my name for most of 2018. :lol:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I'm surprised as well. Is the venue much smaller than usual venues for GPF, or is the event generally in such high demand?
Small venue on the west coast of Canada, putting it into close proximity to the rabid fans from Japan who anticipate participation of their skaters in both the junior and senior events.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
JGPF/GPF schedule is up:

https://skatecanada.ca/2018-isu-grand-prix-of-figure-skating-final/

Wednesday, December 5, 2018
Official Practices (All Day)

Thursday, December 6, 2018
14:05 JUNIOR ICE DANCE – Rhythm Dance
15:20 JUNIOR MEN – Short Program
16:25 JUNIOR PAIRS – Short Program
17:40 JUNIOR LADIES – Short Program
19:00 Opening Ceremony
19:45 SENIOR MEN – Short Program
21:00 SENIOR LADIES – Short Program

Friday, December 7, 2018
15:45 JUNIOR ICE DANCE – Free Dance
17:05 JUNIOR MEN – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies Junior Men and Junior Ice Dance
19:05 SENIOR ICE DANCE – Rhythm Dance
20:20 SENIOR PAIRS – Short Program
21:35 SENIOR MEN – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies Senior Men

Saturday, December 8, 2018
13:55 SENIOR LADIES – Free Skating
15:15 JUNIOR LADIES – Free Skating
16:30 JUNIOR PAIRS – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies Junior Pairs, Senior Ladies and Junior Ladies
19:00 SENIOR ICE DANCE – Free Dance
20:20 SENIOR PAIRS – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies Senior Pairs and Senior Ice Dance

Sunday, December 9, 2018
14:00 Exhibition Gala

marigold

Interesting that they are holding the junior ladies final after the senior ladies. Do they consider the juniors the marquee event?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information